NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Where are you getting 30% from?

NBA revenue from China -- and a conservative estimate puts that at $500 million annually based on deals that are publicly known -- is part of basketball-related income which impacts the salary cap and how much money is available to players on an annual basis.

In July, China’s Tencent reached a five-year, $1.5 billion deal to remain the league’s exclusive digital partner in China, and it is the NBA's largest partnership outside of the U.S. CCTV has a lucrative financial partnership with the NBA televising multiple games live each week, including coverage of the playoffs.

NBA China, a separate business arm of the NBA, was valued at $5 billion by Sports Business Journal last month.
Separate from the NBA’s partnerships in China, players are invested in the country, too. Several of them, including stars LeBron James and Steph Curry, make annual visits to sell apparel products from Nike and Under Armour.

NBA in China: How much money is at stake if relationship sours?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The article doesn't say 30% anywhere. How did you come to this number?

I saw an article break it down before but I can't find it but the numbers are right there. Pretty simple. 500 million annually + 300 million a year in the 1.5 billion TV deal. That's 800 million and enough to fund almost 8 teams in the NBA. That's just the public deals we know as well as the article pointed out.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I saw an article break it down before but I can't find it but the numbers are right there. Pretty simple. 500 million annually + 300 million a year in the 1.5 billion TV deal. That's 800 million and enough to fund almost 8 teams in the NBA. That's just the public deals we know as well as the article pointed out.

The salary cap is calculated from taking 42% of all revenue. That $800 million is more like $330 million, so it takes up like 3 teams and closer to 10% than the 30% you're claiming it to be. $800 million being 10% seems more accurate considering their annual revenues are around $8 billion.

Total NBA revenue 2001-2018 | Statista.

In the 2018/19 season, all 30 NBA teams combined generated revenues of about 8.76 billion U.S. dollars.

Anything else you want to make up?

Reactions: Terry Yake

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The salary cap is calculated from taking 42% of all revenue. That $800 million is more like $330 million, so this number is closer to 10% than the 30% you're claiming it to be. $800 million being 10% seems more accurate considering their annual revenues are around $8 billion.

Total NBA revenue 2001-2018 | Statista.

Anything else you want to make up?

NBA China, a separate business arm of the NBA, was valued at $5 billion by Sports Business Journal last month.

So NBA China is worth almost as much as the NBA...

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They talked about slashing the NBA cap 10-15% when the China stuff went down and that was just to err on the side of caution. So 30% isn't far fetched.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
So NBA China is worth almost as much as the NBA...

Wow, your math and comprehension skills are really lacking here. Annual revenue isn't the same as valuation. If the NBA revenues are $8 billion per year, their valuation as an entire league is likely 5-10 times that. Considering the Clippers recently sold for $2 billion, do you really think NBA China, valued at $5 billion, is anywhere near the value of the entire 30-team league when just one of their teams is worth $2 billion?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
They talked about slashing the NBA cap 10-15% when the China stuff went down and that was just to err on the side of caution. So 30% isn't far fetched.

10% is nowhere near the 30% of the salary cap you claimed that China is responsible for. So again, why is it the responsibility of the NBA to speak up on China given that they only makes up such a small proportion of revenues?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
10% is nowhere near the 30% of the salary cap you claimed that China is responsible for. So again, why is it the responsibility of the NBA to speak up on China given that they only makes up such a small proportion of revenues?
it's not their responsibility

he's just pretending to care about china right now so he has something to criticize lebron/the NBA over. it's just as laughable as him trying to claim lebron is a fraud because he spoke out against brees and nascar but didn't say anything about the kings announcer getting fired for saying "all lives matter"

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
it's not their responsibility

he's just pretending to care about china right now so he has something to criticize lebron/the NBA over. it's just as laughable as him trying to claim lebron is a fraud because he spoke out against brees and nascar but didn't say anything about the kings announcer getting fired for saying "all lives matter"

So the NBA and LeBron can profit off slave labor and gross human rights abuses with no responsibility but when the gross hypocrisy of the whole social justice thing they are pushing gets pointed out the person pointing it out is the bad guy?

Holy **** :laugh:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
So the NBA and LeBron can profit off slave labor and gross human rights abuses with no responsibility but when the gross hypocrisy of the whole social justice thing they are pushing gets pointed out the person pointing it out is the bad guy?

how is the social justice thing "hypocritical?"

it focuses on issues here in the US, where the majority of NBA players are from. lebron and other athletes are not obligated in any way to speak up over what is going on in china. you pretend to care about the HK protestors but then call the NBA supporting BLM "hypocritical." typical bullshit we've seen from people like josh hawley

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

He's a hypocrite. I'm done doing the mental gymnastics to help him understand.

Reactions: Roman Fell and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
how is the social justice thing "hypocritical?"

it focuses on issues here in the US, where the majority of NBA players are from. lebron and other athletes are not obligated in any way to speak up over what is going on in china. you pretend to care about the HK protestors but then call the NBA supporting BLM "hypocritical." typical bullshit we've seen from people like josh hawley

Pretending to care about human rights abuses whilst simultaneously profiting off gross human rights abuses is disgusting and makes you complicit in the crimes

Because I have morals, principles and try not to be a hypocritical **** like you, LeBron and the NBA I can support kneeling for the national anthem and peaceful protests whilst simultaneously being against slave labor and concentration camps

You aren't the person to be telling other people they suck, you don't have a leg to stand on

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Pretending to care about human rights abuses whilst simultaneously profiting off gross human rights abuses is disgusting and makes you complicit in the crimes

Because I have morals, principles and try not to be a hypocritical **** like you, LeBron and the NBA I can support kneeling for the national anthem and peaceful protests whilst simultaneously being against slave labor and concentration camps

You aren't the person to be telling other people they suck, you don't have a leg to stand on
then i guess every pro athlete is "complicist in the crimes" by that logic since they're sponsored by companies who make their products in china

just because china sucks, doesn't mean the NBA should ignore pressing issues in the US like police brutality and racism. the NBA and its athletes are not responsible for what happens in china

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
then i guess every pro athlete is "complicist in the crimes" by that logic since they're sponsored by companies who make their products in china

just because china sucks, doesn't mean the NBA should ignore pressing issues in the US like police brutality and racism. the NBA and its athletes are not responsible for what happens in china

If they are taking money off companies who profit off the use of sweat shops, slave labor and authoritarian communist regimes they are to because say it with me, human rights abuses and slavery are bad

No they just profit off it :laugh: but I guess it doesn't count if the abuse is to Asians, Muslims or overseas because reasons

Your right, **** those people and let's profit off their misery like real upstanding citizens who care about how other people are treated :sarcasm:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If they are taking money off companies who profit off the use of sweat shops, slave labor and authoritarian communist regimes they are to because say it with me, human rights abuses and slavery are bad

No they just profit off it :laugh: but I guess it doesn't count if the abuse is to Asians, Muslims or overseas because reasons

Your right, **** those people and let's profit off their misery like real upstanding citizens who care about how other people are treated :sarcasm:
yes, china sucks. we all know that

but what happens there is not the NBA's responsibility. what do you expect them to do, ban showing games in china? ban the sale of NBA merchandise in china? it's absolutely ridiculous that you think the NBA should ignore pressing issues like police brutality and racism in its own country, just because of what china is doing. so by your logic, instead of acknowledging issues surrounding african-americans (who make up the vast majority of the league,) the NBA should dedicate all its attention to what is going on in another country. the only messages they should be allowed to put on their jerseys should be ones regarding china

how dare we bring attention to issues at home because there's also bad stuff going on overseas. using your ridiculous logic, we should only care about what's going on in china and put our own issues second

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

You don't really give a damn about the Chinese. Come on.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You caught me, I adore the thought of child and slave labor and how could you not love real life concentration camps where genuine human rights abuses like organ harvesting are taking place

I'm not like you and @Terry Yake, I have a moral compass and principles rather than whatever the hell you guys seem to be using

yes, china sucks. we all know that

but what happens there is not the NBA's responsibility. what do you expect them to do, ban showing games in china? ban the sale of NBA merchandise in china? it's absolutely ridiculous that you think the NBA should ignore pressing issues like police brutality and racism in its own country, just because of what china is doing. so by your logic, instead of acknowledging issues surrounding african-americans (who make up the vast majority of the league,) the NBA should dedicate all its attention to what is going on in another country. the only messages they should be allowed to put on their jerseys should be ones regarding china

how dare we bring attention to issues at home because there's also bad stuff going on overseas. using your ridiculous logic, we should only care about what's going on in china and put our own issues second

Your a hypocritical toady just like they are, you should look into monetizing it because it does seem to be extremely lucrative

I wonder how much money it would take for the league and LeBron to not think Black Lives Matter? I'm betting less than you might imagine

You can care about African Americans the Chinese and Muslims simultaneously genius, that's how you don't end up looking like a hypocritical ****

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You caught me, I adore the thought of child and slave labor and how could you not love real life concentration camps where genuine human rights abuses like organ harvesting are taking place

I'm not like you and @Terry Yake, I have a moral compass and principles rather than whatever the hell you guys seem to be using

Your a hypocritical toady just like they are, you should look into monetizing it because it does seem to be extremely lucrative

I wonder how much money it would take for the league and LeBron to not think Black Lives Matter? I'm betting less than you might imagine

You can care about African Americans the Chinese and Muslims simultaneously genius, that's how you don't end up looking like a hypocritical ****
lol @ "having a moral compass." all you're doing is pretending like you care about china just so you have a reason to criticize the NBA and lebron

i also love how you completely ignored my question. how is what happens in china the NBA's responsibility? do you think that the NBA should ignore american issues just because of shit that is happening in china? "sorry guys, we can't promote BLM and join the fight against racism and police brutality because of what's happening in china."

the only hypocrite here is you. claiming you "care about african americans, chinese, and muslims simultaneously" but calling out the NBA for promoting BLM and social justice. stable genius alert!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

It's not about him, me, you, or the Kobe stan. We aren't the ones making hundreds of millions off China. Nobody is calling you a hypocrite for not caring about China. It's Lebron that's being held to that standard because he's the one profiting off them and the 100+ million platform. What's so hard for you to understand?

If Lebron just took the MJ approach he wouldn't be held to that standard or criticized either. If he just said he's an elite athlete and doesn't have enough time to really educate himself on every topic to speak on it but he supports BLM. That's cool. But when he injects himself into every situation on Twitter for retweets and likes. Then says "Every injustice anywhere is a threat to injustices everywhere" The words right from his own mouth have set the standard he needs to uphold. He's not upholding it so we are calling him out.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It's not about him, me, you, or the Kobe stan. We aren't the ones making hundreds of millions off China. Nobody is calling you a hypocrite for not caring about China. It's Lebron that's being held to that standard because he's the one profiting off them and the 100+ million platform. What's so hard for you to understand?

If Lebron just took the MJ approach he wouldn't be held to that standard or criticized either. If he just said he's an elite athlete and doesn't have enough time to really educate himself on every topic to speak on it but he supports BLM. That's cool. But when he injects himself into every situation on Twitter for retweets and likes. Then says "Every injustice anywhere is a threat to injustices everywhere" The words right from his own mouth have set the standard he needs to uphold. He's not upholding it so we are calling him out.
Because LeBron is the only pro athlete profiting off China right?

Oh, so you just want him to "shut up and dribble." Got it, no need to say any more

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Because LeBron is the only pro athlete profiting off China right?

Oh, so you just want him to "shut up and dribble." Got it, no need to say any more

He's the face of the NBA and very vocal on social injustices where others stay quiet because they aren't educated.

"Every injustice anywhere is a threat to injustices everywhere"

None of these athletes are Ali. Need a real leader with one voice not jocks on their Twitter app.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad