NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
As expected.. Lebron will wear no message on his jersey. I guess the NBA didn't approve NFL and Nascar suck or I opened a school so I'm absolved of ever doing anything.

-calls the NBA a joke for letting players wear messages on their jerseys

-criticizes lebron for not wearing a message on his jersey

hahahahahaha

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
lol @ hawley pretending to care about HK

again, good on him for spending so much of his time and attention on the NBA. it's not like we have other far more important issues at hand

Not like Kyrie tried saying this or anything....

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Not like Kyrie tried saying this or anything....
giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Too much of a chicken shit to piss off his buddies in the CCP.

The FreeWoj thing is hilarious. Its not like he was punished for something stupid. What he said was unprofessional whether you agree with Hawley's comments or not.

It is interesting that they left LeBatard rant about immigration and didn't really punish him. You'd think with Woj they would let him get away with this seeing as how he's one of their top guys. he and LeBatard are both huge draws (or whatever you would call it) for the company.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Too much of a chicken shit to piss off his buddies in the CCP.

The FreeWoj thing is hilarious. Its not like he was punished for something stupid. What he said was unprofessional whether you agree with Hawley's comments or not.

It is interesting that they left LeBatard rant about immigration and didn't really punish him. You'd think with Woj they would let him get away with this seeing as how he's one of their top guys. he and LeBatard are both huge draws (or whatever you would call it) for the company.
i wish someone would ask hawley what they're protesting for in HK

the funny thing is that the right pretends to care about HK when it's convenient for them (like in this case,) but they'll crticize americans who are out protesting racism and police brutality. if you're protesting hair salons and gyms being closed, you're good

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
i wish someone would ask hawley what they're protesting for in HK

the funny thing is that the right pretends to care about HK when it's convenient for them (like in this case,) but they'll crticize americans who are out protesting racism and police brutality. if you're protesting hair salons and gyms being closed, you're good

You know this is the same excuse racist use to ignore racism in their country. Not happening to me so doesn't bother me.

Normally I'd agree with your line of thought. There's not really much any of us can do about what's going on. It's basically the equivalent of how all these Karens are getting fired because their business doesn't want to be associated with them. Do you agree with that when it happens? Well, the NBA is in business with China. So much so they rely on them for almost 30% of their yearly salary cap. More than any other American sports league so I do feel it's their job to speak up and hold them accountable. You can't use the not in my house/country excuse when your league relies on them for 30% revenue. You can't take their money and have them pay your salary and ignore what they are doing. It's very hypocritical but honestly, I expect nothing less from this league.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, the NBA is in business with China. So much so they rely on them for almost 30% of their yearly salary cap. More than any other American sports league so I do feel it's their job to speak up and hold them accountable. You can't use the not in my house/country excuse when your league relies on them for 30% revenue. You can't take their money and have them pay your salary and ignore what they are doing. It's very hypocritical but honestly, I expect nothing less from this league.

I thought their job was to, you know, stick to sports.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ahh moving the goal post I see. So they get to pick and choose when to be activist.

Nice move of the goalposts as well. I'm talking about basketball players. You're talking abouat activism. In a thread about the NBA.

They indeed get to pick and choose their causes. You'd be extended this right to if you were an NBA player. Also, you aren't defending every cause under the sun. I'm not either.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Doesn't seem like the idea is that popular with players, I mean AD & Bron have already said they won't be putting any message. Silver's attempt at appeasing the players and letting the inmates run the asylum seems to be backfiring.

Reactions: Stylizer1

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They indeed get to pick and choose their causes. You'd be extended this right to if you were an NBA player. Also, you aren't defending every cause under the sun. I'm not either.

Once again they do business with them. So based on the current precedent in the climate. People are getting fired left and right because businesses don't want to be associated with people.

At the end of the day if you aren't going to address the shit going on in your own league/house then you shouldn't run around bashing others. Makes you look like a huge hypocrite.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Doesn't seem like the idea is that popular with players, I mean AD & Bron have already said they won't be putting any message. Silver's attempt at appeasing the players and letting the inmates run the asylum seems to be backfiring.

How? NBA pretends to care and do something and nobody does it. Win/win. Once again the NBA does absolutely nothing. But I'm sure they will have the tweets lined up for Week 1 of NFL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Once again they do business with them. So based on the current precedent in the climate. People are getting fired left and right because businesses don't want to be associated with people.

At the end of the day if you aren't going to address the shit going on in your own league/house then you shouldn't run around bashing others. Makes you look like a huge hypocrite.

I take it for granted that you don't have any issue about people being fired for their public (or known to public) acts.

So, you're saying that players should fire their.... employer, because the said employer took what you consider to be a morally reprehensible position? How does that work in the real world?

(If mean, if you say something is problematic, it's probably not, considering your post history, but I'm willing to disregard it for the sake of the argument)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You know this is the same excuse racist use to ignore racism in their country. Not happening to me so doesn't bother me.

Normally I'd agree with your line of thought. There's not really much any of us can do about what's going on. It's basically the equivalent of how all these Karens are getting fired because their business doesn't want to be associated with them. Do you agree with that when it happens? Well, the NBA is in business with China. So much so they rely on them for almost 30% of their yearly salary cap. More than any other American sports league so I do feel it's their job to speak up and hold them accountable. You can't use the not in my house/country excuse when your league relies on them for 30% revenue. You can't take their money and have them pay your salary and ignore what they are doing. It's very hypocritical but honestly, I expect nothing less from this league.
i said the right loves to pretend they care about HK when its convenient for them (like in this situation so they can troll the NBA) and how it's hilarious that they're the same ones who criticize americans for protesting police brutality and racism.....and you took that has "an excuse racists use to ignore racism in their county."

wut

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I take it for granted that you don't have any issue about people being fired for their public (or known to public) acts.

So, you're saying that players should fire their.... employer, because the said employer took what you consider to be a morally reprehensible position? How does that work in the real world?

(If mean, if you say something is problematic, it's probably not, considering your post history, but I'm willing to disregard it for the sake of the argument)

Lets put it like this. If a country is a responsible for 30% of your yearly salary cap. What they do is more important than other sports leagues. They should focus on that then might be taken seriously.

i said the right loves to pretend they care about HK when its convenient for them (like in this situation so they can troll the NBA)

Oh so how like NBA players pretend to be activist regarding topics in other league but doesn't address what's going on in their own league? Gotcha

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lets put it like this. If a country is a responsible for 30% of your yearly salary cap. What they do is more important than other sports leagues. They should focus on that then might be taken seriously.

Oh so how like NBA players pretend to be activist regarding topics in other league but doesn't address what's going on in their own league? Gotcha
hahahahahahahahaha here we go again

because lebron hasn't addressed a WNBA issue, he's a fraud. got it

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
hahahahahahahahaha here we go again

because lebron hasn't addressed a WNBA issue, he's a fraud. got it

China. WNBA owner. Kings announcer. Guy who covers the NBA calling protesters animals. Mahmoud Abdul. Guy from the Bulls coming out and saying he got blackballed. How the NBA's attempt to address what's going on was a flop and he's not even going to do it.

Pick one. There's plenty he could address but strategically dodges.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
China. WNBA owner. Kings announcer. Guy who covers the NBA calling protesters animals. Mahmoud Abdul. Guy from the Bulls coming out and saying he got blackballed. How the NBA's attempt to address what's going on was a flop and he's not even going to do it.

Pick one. There's plenty he could address but strategically dodges.
aside from china, none of those are major issues that lebron would need to use his platform to speak out on

you're just choosing issues you're pretending to care about and expecting lebron to feel the same way. that's not how it works

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Where are you getting 30% from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad