NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The problem I have is that he called Darryl Morey ignorant and uneducated on the matter when he could’ve just stayed silent.
not agreeing or disagreeing with it, but that's his opinion which he has every right to state

but people need to stop acting like its the duty of lebron or any other star athlete to speak up/do something in regards to shit going on elsewhere in the world. if they do, good for them. if they don't, there's zero reason why they should be criticized for it. lebron has used his voice and platform in many ways to address issues here in the US, which is what really matters

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
not agreeing or disagreeing with it, but that's his opinion which he has every right to state

but people need to stop acting like its the duty of lebron or any other star athlete to speak up/do something in regards to shit going on elsewhere in the world. if they do, good for them. if they don't, there's zero reason why they should be criticized for it. lebron has used his voice and platform in many ways to address issues here in the US, which is what really matters
Lebron did speak up though wrt. China and it was for all the wrong reasons.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
The problem is that China isn't just some "elsewhere in the world" to LeBron; it's a market where he's doing tremendous amounts of business. When you portray yourself as a leading SJW, and benefit from that image, yet decide to go into business with certain entities, you do have a moral obligation to educate yourself on what's going on there, "elsewhere in the world". If you choose to remain blissfully ignorant because those business relationships are so profitable, then your principles should absolutely be questioned.

The thing is, when everyone's making money off of China, or are trying to, there's no interest in covering the topic and pointing out the hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This thing people have with Lebron/China is beyond hilarious. So because he's voiced his opinion on BLM, that means he should voice his opinion on China because that's also a human rights issue? If that's the case, where are the other millions (maybe billions) of people who've also supported BLM and probably has said nothing about what's going on in China. How come no one here is going after those people?

Someone should go ask NFL/NHL/MLB players about what their opinion is about what's going on in China. I wonder what their responses would be.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Which family member of his experienced police brutality?

Does it matter? The fact that it could easily happen to one of his family members (who the police would see as a regular black person) should be enough for him to speak up against.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Does it matter? The fact that it could easily happen to one of his family members (who the police would see as a regular black person) should be enough for him to speak up against.
It can happen to literally anyone. That's not an interesting argument.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It can happen to literally anyone. That's not an interesting argument.

So this whole BLM thing is a complete scam to you then? If you’re saying LeBron shouldn’t be saying anything unless his family members are under immediate threat, then basically You’re saying that goes for just about everyone else in this whole movement then.

I love how the people taking shots at LeBron for this still don’t understand that IT’S NOT ABOUT LEBRON. If you care about the BLM movement, LeBron is on the same side. Why is it that you need to talk about China when it comes to what LeBron has said about racial inequity in the US?

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah. LeBron can say what he wants just as I can say LeBron is full of shit.

Sure, but that doesn't just apply to LeBron. Just about every other sports leagues and its players are only now speaking up on this and like LeBron, they're biting their tongue when it comes to China.

Are you going to hold everyone else to the same standards that you're holding LeBron to?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Only thing NBA players do is sit on Twitter and tweet about the NFL and Nascar. Where's Lebrons tweets about the video you posted???
yeah let's just ignore the millions of dollars NBA players donate to charitable causes in the US and worldwide and recently, covering the salaries of arena workers during the pandemic

not to mention all they've done to give kids here and abroad, the opportunity to play basketball. lebron opened up a school in cleveland a couple years ago aimed at bettering the lives of at-risk kids

but yeah, all they do is tweet about the NFL and nascar. try thinking before you post such stupid shit next time

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Let me just get one thing straight from some of you: What do you have against BLM? I won't even argue. I'll probably just laugh. I can't think of a legit reason to be against the BLM movement. And I'm talking about the peaceful movement, not the idiots who used this as an excuse to cause anarchy.

"It's the new KKK" - Tomi Lahren. :laugh:

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This thing people have with Lebron/China is beyond hilarious. So because he's voiced his opinion on BLM, that means he should voice his opinion on China because that's also a human rights issue?

That's not the issue at all. The issue is Lebron tweeted out "Injustices anywhere is a threat to everywhere"

So by Lebrons words what was happening in China is a threat to him but he didn't stand up against it. Why? Because China makes up close to 30% of the NBA yearly salary cap. Typical fraud that only cares about himself and his bottom line. But he will tweet out BLM stuff to seem relatable to sell more jerseys and shoes.

yeah let's just ignore the millions of dollars NBA players donate to charitable causes in the US and worldwide and recently, covering the salaries of arena workers during the pandemic

not to mention all they've done to give kids here and abroad, the opportunity to play basketball. lebron opened up a school in cleveland a couple years ago aimed at bettering the lives of at-risk kids

but yeah, all they do is tweet about the NFL and nascar. try thinking before you post such stupid shit next time

I'm tired of these lame excuses. "NBA players donate to charities" All sports leagues/organizations/players do these type of things.

The issue here is the double standard from NBA fans. People give the NBA a pass because they are assumed majority black league so they don't have to do anything but the NFL does. Yet the NBA is 75% black and the NFL is 70%. What it boils down to is I like the NBA more so I'm not going to call them out on their bullshit and I'm going to do it to the NFL because I careless about it.

There has been a lot more racism in the NBA than NFL but hey, Lebron opened a school in Cleveland so it's all good!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This thing people have with Lebron/China is beyond hilarious. So because he's voiced his opinion on BLM, that means he should voice his opinion on China because that's also a human rights issue? If that's the case, where are the other millions (maybe billions) of people who've also supported BLM and probably has said nothing about what's going on in China. How come no one here is going after those people?

Someone should go ask NFL/NHL/MLB players about what their opinion is about what's going on in China. I wonder what their responses would be.
It reflects he is only about his self interests.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It reflects he is only about his self interests.

So, essentially like everyone else in the sports world?

He's black. It would make sense that he would want to support a cause that involves black people, no?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
That's not the issue at all. The issue is Lebron tweeted out "Injustices anywhere is a threat to everywhere"

So by Lebrons words what was happening in China is a threat to him but he didn't stand up against it. Why? Because China makes up close to 30% of the NBA yearly salary cap. Typical fraud that only cares about himself and his bottom line. But he will tweet out BLM stuff to seem relatable to sell more jerseys and shoes.

I mean yeah, he's going to stay away from the China issue just like every other sports league and its players as well. Does that make them frauds too? If they support BLM, then by extension, whether it's implicit or explicit, they should be supporting HK as well, but yet I don't see that happening. See where the double standard is?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I mean yeah, he's going to stay away from the China issue just like every other sports league and its players as well. Does that make them frauds too? If they support BLM, then by extension, whether it's implicit or explicit, they should be supporting HK as well, but yet I don't see that happening. See where the double standard is?

No other American sports league relies on China for 30% of their cap. NBA is in bed with them. It's their job to call them out nobody else's.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
No other American sports league relies on China for 30% of their cap. NBA is in bed with them. It's their job to call them out nobody else's.

Lol @ saying only the NBA should be calling out China when it's group in numbers that has proven to be most effective in making change.

All of the other leagues do some business with China as well. Whether it's 5% or 30%, the percentage is irrelevant. If the NBA is expected to call out China, then the same should be expected of everyone else. Even 5% of whatever these league's revenues are, that's a substantial amount.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

I'm tired of these lame excuses. "NBA players donate to charities" All sports leagues/organizations/players do these type of things.

The issue here is the double standard from NBA fans. People give the NBA a pass because they are assumed majority black league so they don't have to do anything but the NFL does. Yet the NBA is 75% black and the NFL is 70%. What it boils down to is I like the NBA more so I'm not going to call them out on their bullshit and I'm going to do it to the NFL because I careless about it.

There has been a lot more racism in the NBA than NFL but hey, Lebron opened a school in Cleveland so it's all good!
why does it matter if all leagues take part in donating to charity and stuff like that? you're trying to claim NBA players are all talk and no action but as we both know, that's hilariously false and an awful hot take

not sure what you mean when you say "they are a majority black league so they don't have to do anything." and i'd like to hear some examples of the "lot more racism in the NBA."

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
and i'd like to hear some examples of the "lot more racism in the NBA."

Well here's the newest one. Don't rely on Lebron to hear about it though... Injustices everywhere except China, his league, and anything that effects his bottom line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00