OT: NBA 2019-2020

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Draft night finally here.

19 and 21 tonight. As of now.

windhorst reporting that Devonte Graham may be available as Charlotte looks to lock up Rozier, Bridges and sign a starting center. Which would squeeze their finances. I would love to take a flier on Graham.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Yep, at first I was a little frustrated with the heavily protected pick swap with Charlotte, but the more I've read into it, the more I'm impressed with the Knicks FO (which still feels weird to say). But it seems like with the guys they were targeting off the board at 19, they were able to move back and draft the same players they would have taken at 19 and 21 at 25 and 32 while picking up some extra draft capital and clearing even more cap space.

This team now has the most cap space in the league while still building for the future. In Rose we trust.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So far it's just re-signs for the Knicks. Burks and Noel were strong for them last season.

Saw a report that Rose was probably re-signing too. Are they just planning on running this back and hoping the young guys get better?

Obviously Lowry and Paul were pipedreams, but I hope they are still in on Dinwiddie. They need a point guard and he is a pretty good one.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

all of this is strange. They kept trading down avoiding high picks to save up cap….for this? Is this just Randle plus 14 role players? They realize Randle isn’t Lebron prime right? Right?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Stephen A Smith said he thinks Lillard wants to be dealt to the Knicks if he does get moved and he'd recruit Tatum and Embid to come to NY lol.

There is speculation with some of thr resigning the Knicks did today that Robertson is a piece to move to Portland for Lillard.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Basically the same team with Fournier in for Bullock. It’s not awful but I think we know this team has an obvious ceiling. They’re not gonna finish 4-5 again.

it’s not a disaster but I guess I don’t get the end game.

Reactions: ponzu4u

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Basically the same team with Fournier in for Bullock. It’s not awful but I think we know this team has an obvious ceiling. They’re not gonna finish 4-5 again.

it’s not a disaster but I guess I don’t get the end game.

Probably drop to at least 6th if Heat stay healthy.

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
PG: Rose/Mcbride/Vildoza
SG: RJ/Quickley/Grimes
SF: Fournier/Burks/Knox
PF: Randle/Toppin
C: Mitch/Noel

This is a pretty competitive roster, they can evaluate Mcbride/Vildoza at the summer league but ultimately Rose will need to play 30 minutes a game again. Who knows, maybe a guy like Coby White becomes available.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think IQ is going to handle more of the PG role than we think. He's good in the pick and roll and he'll get better making decisions as he gets put in those spots.

Let's see who runs the offense in summer league. He should be put in those spots to see his growth. We know he can score, he needs to be able to dish.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah at best. More likely they’re in the play in games. My only complaint would be they’re not simultaneously being aggressive in the draft. It’s just kicking the can down the road e
I think they're being cautiously optimistic heading into next season and decided to roll with a core of guys they know fit Thibodeau's system, while banking on natural progression from guys like Barrett, Quickley, and Toppin. I was a bit surprised by their draft day, but I've come around to like the Grimes and McBride picks a lot.

These deals are luckily pretty team friendly, and they can still maneuver guys around if they want to make a big splash in a year or two

Reactions: klingsor

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Definitely a little underwhelming FA for the Knicks but the FA options this off-season really weren't there. Kawhi was never leaving LA.

Bringing in Lowry, Derozan, etc. wasn't going to get them even close to passing the Nets or Bucks or even 76ers.

But Fournier is a good add and a significant upgrade over Bullock. He's a guy who can create offense which they were sorely lacking last season.

If, in upcoming seasons, guys become available via trade, you need salary and decent players to send back. Fournier can be one of those, as can Burks and Noel.

IQ, Toppin, McBride, Grimes, Mitch, Knox are all young players that will be interesting to watch develop. And we've got solid draft capital moving forward.

Although I'm a little worried about what the Noel contract means for Mitch, as it just doesn't seem like you can pair that salary with any kind of raise for Mitch and he's definitely due one.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
It's definitely hard being patient as Knicks fans, but the option to put together a super team capable of competing against the Nets, Lakers, Bucks, etc. just wasn't there this season. And the smart move definitely seems to be not doing anything drastic and staying the course.

I also wonder if the team's brass isn't curious to see how and if Randle builds on his performance last season. If he blows it in the playoffs again this year, does he become a trade chip to try and put together some kind of big 3 that doesn't include him. Not to mention it gives them the chance to continue monitoring RJ's development, another guy that may or may not be able to be one of the best 3 players on a championship team.

TL:DR - it's tough to wait, but it's still too early for the knicks to think championship with the current roster and "rebuild" being driven by this management team.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Melo is finally teaming up with LeBron in LA. Good for him. At this point in his career, he has done everything you can except win a title. I hated the trade, but that was because of Dolan getting involved. Then I hated the re-signing since they needed to rebuild, but that was Phil Jackson being dumb.

Hopefully he can find success there and win a title. It would be an amazing way to end his career.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Nets lose Green to FA. To which I say, good for him. He was a super valuable piece of the rotation, but he'd been on one-year vet's minimum deals for something like 3-4 straight years. Good for him to go get paid a bit.

Meanwhile, Blake is back, and he's taking the vet's min, which is AWESOME all round for the Nets. Get a huge component back and preserve their taxpayers' MLE to use on someone else. Can't wait to see what comes of that plus the Dinwiddie S&T. (Also, what other vets will be willing to come to Brooklyn on the min to chase a title.)

Always, always, ALWAYS trust Sean Marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad