News Article: Nazem Kadri: Wrongly Undervalued In Leafs Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's fair both have different roles. But I am clearly not talking about their positions. I am talking about their beliefs. Burke was mocked when he said it. how can you fault Burke for having that belief in his team and at the same time dismiss Kadri's?

Again, I don't have an issue with either. I would say the same thing if I were in either role.

A lot of the concern and criticism for Burke was around his beliefs impacting his role.

I don't have a problem with eithers comments.

Last edited:

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
That is unfortunate that you expect athletes to be deceptive.

What's unfortunate is your interpretation of his meaning. When a reporter asks you "what do you think of your team this year?" You don't reply "we have a room full of AHLers so I have low expectations"

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What's unfortunate is your interpretation of his meaning. When a reporter asks you "what do you think of your team this year?" You don't reply "we have a room full of AHLers so I have low expectations"

For the vast majority of 24 year olds their vocabulary is extensive enough that they could respond truthfully with out insulting his teammates. You just painted Naz as a linguistically challenged individual, believe it or not some of these guys are actually VERY intelligent educated people. I'm sure Naz is brighter than you've just painted him to be.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

A PR company would tell Burke and Kadri to say something like:

I can't predict the future. I can tell you that I will work hard everyday to bring a championship to Toronto.

Again though, it's an unfair question and answered honestly by 2 competitive individuals.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I know it's only one person, but I can't believe this has actually managed to turn into a discussion.

Kadri is not a diplomat, he's a hockey player. His answers don't need to be beautifully worded poetry. He was asked a question, and he answered it like the feisty, competitive guy that he is. If there's so much concern about unreasonable expectations, find me one person who has taken his quote and said, "Welp, guys, Kadri says we can make the Playoffs, so obviously we're on our way!" My guess is you won't find any, because everyone else has been able to understand that all he did was answer a question and do his job.

Honestly, the fear of personality around here sometimes can be insane.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have another question...for all the talk of Kadri's poor attitude, why has no one mentioned the fact that he puts on a charity golf tournament every year that raised over $100,000 for local charities?

What a bad attitude, eh?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have another question...for all the talk of Kadri's poor attitude, why has no one mentioned the fact that he puts on a charity golf tournament every year that raised over $100,000 for local charities?

What a bad attitude, eh?

I wonder if Shanhan posts here.

You would think he'd be the best source to address your question, but we can always just review comments Shanahan has made publicly in the past to get an idea. I believe it was more about his professionalism, not that he was a heinous off ice personality.

Nice that he organizes a charity event in London and the recipients include children, our future. :handclap:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So this is why your statement sounds so myopic.

Who is our Giordano? Who's our Gaudreau? Who's our Hudler? Who's our Wideman? Who's our Brodie? Who's our Monahan? Who's our Hiller?

See in order to have the season that Calgary had ... we kinda need some good players like Calgary had have great years like they did ... ya kinda need those type of players to step up and have those kind of seasons... is Bozie gonna step up and be our Monahan? LOL... Is Dion going to all of a sudden sprout wings and be a Norris candidate? Rrrrrrright......... and I have some swamp land for sale...

I guess when I put it that way, the blue and white goggle fan club sounds even more disconnected with reality. Yes indeed we CAN have seven players have career years... yep we sure can... just a sec my pet cheetah wants to have a race around my backyard... OF COURSE I have a pet cheetah... I need to keep in shape to break the world record for marathons when I run on the moon...

See its kinda disingenuous to tell people you can do something when reality tells you that you probably can't... usually as you mature, experience teaches you to speak the truth and not what you think people want to hear... clearly he has some maturing to do.

It's not disingenuous at all. If you "probably can't" do something, then it follows that it's entirely possible that you "can" do it. You keep suggesting that others expand their vocabulary and so on, the fact that you don't understand basic English well enough to understand this is pretty ironic.

What you don't seem to understand is that Kadri is not a PR person, he's a professional athlete and as such, he is expected to have a positive outlook. The kind of answer Kadri gave is very common, have you only recently started following professional sports?

If the Japanese don't bomb Pearl Harbor, the Russians would have invaded Japan and probably genocide.

If Jack was able to lay on the driftwood, it would still be a horrible movie.

If Neo took the other pill nothing would have happened , it was a placebo.

If the Leafs won more games, they would have won the Presidents trophy and we don't draft Mitch. Randy is not fired and Nonis keeps his job, Babcok is not hired,

This sentence is grammatically incorrect. How is it possible that a person like you who nitpicks at minor spelling errors can make such an egregious error?

People make typos all the time - that's understandable. But if you can't even put a proper sentence together perhaps you should stop nitpicking at minor mistakes others make.

What a bad attitude, eh?

I didn't know that, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing! :)

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I wonder if Shanhan posts here.

You would think he'd be the best source to address your question, but we can always just review comments Shanahan has made publicly in the past to get an idea. I believe it was more about his professionalism, not that he was a heinous off ice personality.

Nice that he organizes a charity event in London and the recipients include children, our future. :handclap:

Working to be a respected member of the community by organizing and attaching his name to a charitable event is a significant example of professionalism.

I'd argue it has a much larger impact then showing up late for practice.

Either way, my point is that I don't understand why he constantly receives criticism, but hardly any praise. So, I just wanted to make sure he got some credit. Good on you for recognizing that as well, Ulf.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

What a bad attitude, eh?

How much of that 100k was raised 5v5?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

What a bad attitude, eh?

Good for Kadri to use his name to help out a charity. He wouldn't be the first hockey player to do so. I know many on the team do.

I will have to disagree this has anything to do with your poor attitude comment. Those were discussed by Shanahan that had to do with professionalism. Hockey professionalism.

So while it is good that Kadri has a charity golf event, credit is given. It has nothing to do with his lack of hockey professionalism.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Working to be a respected member of the community by organizing and attaching his name to a charitable event is a significant example of professionalism.

Either way, my point is that I don't understand why he constantly receives criticism, but hardly any praise. So, I just wanted to make sure he got some credit. Good on you for recognizing that as well, Ulf.

Certainly, but he wasn't suspended for showing up late for practice, that was just the tipping point for the suspension, but no need to rehash that.

He receives criticism because he plays for the Leafs, and very few Leafs escape criticism if there are high expectations on them.

How often were Winnik or Komarov criticized? Low expectations.

He'll be 25 to start the season, should be at his strongest physical point of his career. Pat Sharp didn't have a really good offensive year until age 26, so not all players are like Giroux, rocking a 76 points season at age 22.

I expect a career season, and for him to be the 1st. line center for the next 2 years before the Nylander and Marner show begins, and he'll step back into the shut-down role which he played this season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Mike Babcock:

“I told them straightforward, the No. 1 characteristic of being a Leaf is a good person, period. You don’t fit that, you’re not going to be here.

Looks like Kadri's on the right track. Hopefully he'll be with the Leafs for years to come. :yo:

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Certainly, but he wasn't suspended for showing up late for practice, that was just the tipping point for the suspension, but no need to rehash that.

He receives criticism because he plays for the Leafs, and very few Leafs escape criticism if there are high expectations on them.

How often were Winnik or Komarov criticized? Low expectations.

He'll be 25 to start the season, should be at his strongest physical point of his career. Pat Sharp didn't have a really good offensive year until age 26, so not all players are like Giroux, rocking a 76 points season at age 22.

I expect a career season, and for him to be the 1st. line center for the next 2 years before the Nylander and Marner show begins, and he'll step back into the shut-down role which he played this season.

Agreed. I just wanted to bring to light one of his positive contributions.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

That's how I see it as well. As long the increased commitment and professionalism that have been indicated this off-season continue and satisfy management's expectations. He's a versatile player. He's shown the the ability to either be the match-up guy when needed or go off like an offensive bomb when he's sheltered. The fact that the two guys that are projected to slot in ahead have a combined cap hit under 4 million for the next three years (potentially 4) just adds to that overall versatility at C.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

What a bad attitude, eh?

Actually, I mentioned that on Page 33.

Before someone makes up what I said, I'll just repost it:

Here's a positive recent tidbit about Kadri. He ran a 3rd annual golf tournament in London
Last year, his tournament at Firerock Golf Club raised $135,000 for local charities.
This is the third year for the event and the money raised will go to the Merrymount Family Centre, the Muslim Resource Centre and the London Food Bank.

http://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/nazem-kadri-assists-london-charities-1.2507964

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You're in the wrong place, negativity only unless you wanted to be branded a homer.

Pookie legitimately posted about that back on page 33, like he said.

Oddly enough, not a single person commented on it until someone viewed as more of a Kadri supporter brought it up again. Myself included, but I don't remember seeing the post at the time.

I'm frustrated with all of the negativity too, but can we have at least some humility and objectivity?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sean Avery has done many things for charity. Just because your PR people market you doesn't make you ghandi

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Curious. What will you brand me since I was the first to bring it forward?

I brand you an intelligent and insightful poster that I happen to disagree with on this issue. Same with ULF. The same cannot be said for others that share your view.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Every poster who criticizes Kadri gets 5 people jumping at them, myself often included, to make sure that his positives are well-represented. I don't see any shortage of positivity here.

Not everyone, Nith made a fair and fact based criticism that Kadri dropped the ball on the powerplay this year, and he was right. 7 points isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad