News Article: Nazem Kadri: Wrongly Undervalued In Leafs Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Pretty neat article I found.

Next up, individual primary points (at 5v5) since the 2012-2013 season. (stats via Puckalytics.com)

Kadri has 14 more primary points (goals + primary assists) at 5v5 than Ryan O’Reilly and is within six points of the leader of the group, Brad Marchand.

Things are still looking up for Kadri.

Let’s take a look at each players possession relative to their team and see how Kadri stacks up. (stats via war-on-ice.com)

http://editorinleaf.com/2015/07/31/nazem-kadri-wrongly-undervalued-leafs/

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
inb4 advanced stats suck and only 39 point season.

Kadri is easily our best forward at controlling and maintaining the puck in the offensive zone. Get him some better linemates than bottom-6 grinders and perma-injured Lupul and he will get way more credit around here. I think he would be incredible with a Brandon Saad/Wayne Simmonds type winger on his line.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he's given decent ice time I'm expecting him to have a fantastic season.

Stick him with JVR, and both will be better for it.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Kadri is easily our best forward at controlling and maintaining the puck in the offensive zone. Get him some better linemates than bottom-6 grinders and perma-injured Lupul and he will get way more credit around here. I think he would be incredible with a Brandon Saad/Wayne Simmonds type winger on his line.

If he can be our better offensive, slightly worse defensive ROR, that's a huge piece for us. He's like ROR and Gallagher mixed together.

If we can get him longterm at 5 or 6 M, we see the benefit of home grown talent when looking at ROR contract. I take 5.5 for 7 years over 7.5 for similar players.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Give Kadri 20 minutes a night, FFS. This season should be perfect for that. Unless he looks like complete trash early on, there is no reason why he won't be logging the most ice time among our forwards. If I see Bozak get 20 minutes in a game one more time.... I don't even know.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
This time next year we could be talking about Kadri as our bonafide #1 with either Marner or Nylander set to slot in at 2c

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
This time next year we could be talking about Kadri as our bonafide #1 with either Marner or Nylander set to slot in at 2c

Realisticly I see in the future a 1A/1B line of

JVR - Marner - Brown

Nylander - Kadri - Kappy\Bracco

Two lines with offense and defense. Either can be dangerous.

First time we would ever have a legit top 6 in a long, long time.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

The funny thing about those people is that they believe in the "eye test" and even using that Kadri is awesome.

If you can't see how talented Kadri is and what horrible linemates he's often stuck with, then that's just being intentionally blind to the truth.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The Leafs are going to regret not locking up Naz for longer when they had him as an RFA. Maybe it was even Naz's side that didn't want a long-term contract, knowing that he was going to be able to get a more obviously productive role for contract negotiations after the upcoming season.

It really makes me question how advanced the Leafs really are with statistics, though. Naz was by far the Leafs forward when including fancystats in the analysis, and that includes Kessel.

He's going to do very well under Babcock.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Leafs are going to regret not locking up Naz for longer when they had him as an RFA. Maybe it was even Naz's side that didn't want a long-term contract, knowing that he was going to be able to get a more obviously productive role for contract negotiations after the upcoming season.

It really makes me question how advanced the Leafs really are with statistics, though. Naz was by far the Leafs forward when including fancystats in the analysis, and that includes Kessel.

He's going to do very well under Babcock.

you do realise he's an RFA after this year, right?
i reckon, as it was discussed at length in his contract extenstion, that they could very easily be worried about what's inside his head off the ice vs. what he's capable of doing. and as every single managerial person has stated that they are all rooting for Naz and wants him to knock their socks off I doubt they're going to regret anything if he does it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Same old same old.

He's on a tryout contract. Best of luck to him.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
He draws tons of penalties and doesn't take very many. That is very valuable.

Too bad he only ever got 30 seconds of PP after all his great work in drawing the penalty.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
The funny thing about those people is that they believe in the "eye test" and even using that Kadri is awesome.

If you can't see how talented Kadri is and what horrible linemates he's often stuck with, then that's just being intentionally blind to the truth.

Or its the many other well documents and argued out reasons people don't like Kadri. Just because you don't agree with them (and to an extent management as they are reluctant to sign him long term) doesn't mean you should insult. Kadri is not a #1, he's not even a top tier #2.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I expect that this is the year we will see how good Kadri really is. He will get top line minutes and power play time. Depending on whether he runs with it or drops the ball we will learn if we will be keeping him as a piece of the rebuild or dumping him.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
With all this hype I'm expecting him to lead us the playoffs. I mean Kessel usually had us in the hunt until the last month and Kadri is better, so that should be playoffs then.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
If he can be our better offensive, slightly worse defensive ROR, that's a huge piece for us. He's like ROR and Gallagher mixed together.

If we can get him longterm at 5 or 6 M, we see the benefit of home grown talent when looking at ROR contract. I take 5.5 for 7 years over 7.5 for similar players.

To be frank, his skill set sets him apart from ROR and Gallagher.
There's little to no talk about his cycling game,
He had ~3 consecutive games last season where he almost sniped a goal with a hard, precise shot (something that was thought to have been a weakness)
He can dish out borderline hits and also take hits to make plays
Plus, he generates powerplays

What I'm looking forward to is how his game develops. He's disciplined in the defensive end of the ice and when he does make mistakes, it's not because he's not trying. However, a lot of the time he does look a bit lost in his own end--this can be coached and could also be a symptom of grooming his as a winger in the AHL. Also, I think that for him to succeed in putting up good numbers, he needs learn how to work with his linemates. Too often I saw him not pick up on what his linemates were doing in the offensive end. He's a beauty in transitioning the puck, though.

Last edited:

finnbalor*

Who undervalues Kadri? Everyone just points to his 5 on 5 and boasts what a diamond in the rough he is while turning a blind eye to his laziness, his lack of size, overall production (39 points), blames his linemates, his coach, his suspension... all the smart marks give this guy a pass.

Hell even a management team full of advanced stats savvy personnel didn't want to give him a contract. Kadri still has literally everything to prove to become a legitimate top six player let alone elite C. He can't even steal Tyler Bozak's job.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Who undervalues Kadri? Everyone just points to his 5 on 5 and boasts what a diamond in the rough he is while turning a blind eye to his laziness, his lack of size, overall production (39 points), blames his linemates, his coach, his suspension... all the smart marks give this guy a pass.

Hell even a management team full of advanced stats savvy personnel didn't want to give him a contract. Kadri still has literally everything to prove to become a legitimate top six player let alone elite C. He can't even steal Tyler Bozak's job.

Give him a decent linemate 5v5 and some time on the PP with them and the points come, as it stands he was our best consistent defensive forward last year.

Just like Kessel will score 40 with a #1 C, Kadri can be a 60-70 point two way C with proper wingers.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
keep giving kadri horrible linemates to keep his production and value down...he signs long term for cheap and plays with the young guys next year and year after when they close to ready

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think this will be his break or make yr. Hopefully, under a coach who knows how to get the best of his player, he will break out.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

Tavares recently said Kadri was one of the most talented teammates he has ever had ...
Couldn't agree more.

Kadri should have been give the 1C job about 1.5 seasons ago. he has the pedigree (OHL scorer, first round selection, local boy), some grit, great skills ... and has developed his two way game.

For God sakes please trade Bozak and put Kadri on the top line and first PP ...

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Not a fan. I don't see great upside in him at this point. I know he's an advanced stat darling, but at some point it has to translate into raw production. 39 points is embarrassing for a top-6 player, and it's not like this guy is some stalwart on the defensive side of the puck.

I always said this guy was a Mike Ribeiro clone. It looks like I may have been too generous in my projection of Nazem Kadri actually.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Yes people will tend to turn a blind eye to a bunch of **** you just made up

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not a fan. I don't see great upside in him at this point. I know he's an advanced stat darling, but at some point it has to translate into raw production. 39 points is embarrassing for a top-6 player, and it's not like this guy is some stalwart on the defensive side of the puck.

I always said this guy was a Mike Ribeiro clone. It looks like I may have been too generous in my projection of Nazem Kadri actually.

But he was given third line minutes and 3rd liners on his wings and didn't get much power play time - seems unreasonable to expect top six point production, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad