Nazem Kadri, or Phil Kessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I honestly think that the majority of "hate" that Kadri gets is from the unreal, insane hype from his fans and threads like this. Its not even that many of us dislike Kadri but constantly have to point out negatives because of this kind of b.s.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Kessel is the better player, but does not play with enough effort defensively to be part of a Cup winning core.

Kadri has the work ethic, physical play and has improved enough defensively to be part of a cup winning core, for that reason - I'd trade Kessel.

AlexMo89

Sep 29, 2014
Nylander has not played one game in the NHL so please spare me the "he is going to be sooo much better than Kadri crap." How about we wait and see how he turns out before discrediting our current young centre who has already had a great shortened season and put up 50 points playing second line minutes with a slew of different line mates. We all know you don't like Kadri so yeah thanks. Also, you comparing Kadri's points to Clarkson is a joke, I can't believe you are serious. How many empty net goals has he got this year? Like really, Clarkson is not even close to being as offensively gifted as Kadri and will not get more points than Kadri this year just like he didn't last year.

Kessel is a great player that can score and is able to get a lot of points which is great but this alone does not win you the Stanley Cup. Kessel has always been a point per game player but as you can see we have only made the playoffs once during this time.

This is an interesting thread, Kessel is an amazing talent and I am happy to have him but I am also happy to have a young centre in Kadri. This all depends on if you are planning on building around Kessel or start with a new younger core.

All these people voting to keep Kadri, are you aware that a faster, smarter, more talented and skilled version is already waiting to take his spot in the lineup? Nylander does everything Kadri does, but is faster, more skilled, and smarter. So there's an upgrade on Kadri already in the pipeline. Who would replace Kessel? Who is the upgrade on Kessel that will take his spot if he's traded? Who is faster than Phil, who has a better shot? I'd be interested to hear that, because that player doesn't exist. So yeah, lets trade Phil and keep Nazem and his nifty mitts that can't outscore David Clarkson without the help of an empty net or two.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
All these people voting to keep Kadri, are you aware that a faster, smarter, more talented and skilled version is already waiting to take his spot in the lineup? Nylander does everything Kadri does, but is faster, more skilled, and smarter. So there's an upgrade on Kadri already in the pipeline. Who would replace Kessel? Who is the upgrade on Kessel that will take his spot if he's traded? Who is faster than Phil, who has a better shot? I'd be interested to hear that, because that player doesn't exist. So yeah, lets trade Phil and keep Nazem and his nifty mitts that can't outscore David Clarkson without the help of an empty net or two.

Anyone that can play a 2-way game is an upgrade over Phil. They don't have to score 30 goals, they can score 20, but they'll be a huge upgrade over Philsbury. Honestly, the sooner we stop relying on Kessel as our main piece, the sooner we become a respectable team. More and more people are starting to realize this.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Anyone that can play a 2-way game is an upgrade over Phil. They don't have to score 30 goals, they can score 20, but they'll be a huge upgrade over Philsbury. Honestly, the sooner we stop relying on Kessel as our main piece, the sooner we become a respectable team. More and more people are starting to realize this.

Teams like Boston have had trouble scoring eventhough they are chalk full of 2 way players. LA had problems, that's why they went out for Gaborik. Don't fool yourself in thinking that Kessel isn't important. Goals win games, the best defense is a good offense.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
19yo:
Kessel: 0.41PPG, -12

20yo:
Kadri: 0.41PPG, -3
Kessel: 0.45PPG, -6

21yo:
Kadri: 0.33PPG, +2
Kessel: 0.86PPG, +23

22yo:
Kadri: 0.92PPG, +14
Kessel: 0.79PPG, -8

23yo:
Kadri: 0.64PPG, -12
Kessel: 0.78PPG, -20

24yo:
Kadri: 0.62PPG, +8
Kessel: 1PPG, -10

Interesting comparison.

Over the past 3 seasons:
Kadri: 158GP 47G 114P (0.72PPG) +8
Kessel: 162GP 74G 166P (1.02PPG) -11

Kessel is obviously a much better goal scorer. However, when the difference in points (50) is corrected for +/- differential (+19), it looks a lot closer (31).

Kadri is no Kessel. But the Bergeron comparisons this year aren't as absurd as they would have sounded last year. With Bergeron's massive +/- reversion, it's fun to speculate what Kadri's +/- would be if prior year's Chara replaced Phaneuf...

interesting stat but it seems to show that kadri has regressed from age 22 ( the 1/2 season i think) and that he's done two years at .61. i don't think he'll get much above that, unless he plays first line. but if he's the one that matches up against, duchene, crosby, getzlaf, toews or tavares, then it shows or team is not a cup contender at that point.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
The question is "Who would you keep?" not "Who is better?".

I'd rather keep Kadri as I believe that our older core isn't good enough and that we need to do a bit of a retool. That starts with trading Kessel.

Some people need to relax here.

jughead42*

Kessel is the better player, but does not play with enough effort defensively to be part of a Cup winning core.

Kadri has the work ethic, physical play and has improved enough defensively to be part of a cup winning core, for that reason - I'd trade Kessel.

I like how Kadri hogging the puck and not passing it has improved his corsi enough to convince the simple minded that he is defensively sound. Nice work Pierre Maguire, you cracked this mystery.

jughead42*

Nylander has not played one game in the NHL so please spare me the "he is going to be sooo much better than Kadri crap." How about we wait and see how he turns out before discrediting our current young centre who has already had a great shortened season and put up 50 points playing second line minutes with a slew of different line mates. We all know you don't like Kadri so yeah thanks. Also, you comparing Kadri's points to Clarkson is a joke, I can't believe you are serious. How many empty net goals has he got this year? Like really, Clarkson is not even close to being as offensively gifted as Kadri and will not get more points than Kadri this year just like he didn't last year.

Kessel is a great player that can score and is able to get a lot of points which is great but this alone does not win you the Stanley Cup. Kessel has always been a point per game player but as you can see we have only made the playoffs once during this time.

This is an interesting thread, Kessel is an amazing talent and I am happy to have him but I am also happy to have a young centre in Kadri. This all depends on if you are planning on building around Kessel or start with a new younger core.

Kadri stole a goal from Kozun by pretending he tipped in the lads first NHL goal, then I believe he scored two empty netters so far, maybe more. Thats our offensive leader? Come on. The kid barely scraped a 50 point pace out of his horrendous start and Nylander is doing things Swedish prospects have never done. Pretty sure there isn't a GM in the league would keep Kadri over Nylander, that should be the poll anyway. Its absurd to pretend you'd keep Kadri over Kessel.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I can't even believe this is a topic. Kadri isn't even our best center let alone best player.

:laugh: Pretty safe to say he is.

I love how its ok to have Kadri bashing threads, but its not ok to say anything negative about other players on the team like Bozak. This thread is non-sense and meant only to bash Kadri. Not sure why its allowed to continue. I tried to put a thread like this but with Kadri and Bozak, but it got deleted right away. I wonder why? Kessel and Kadri are not in competition with each other as they play different positions. Kadri should be compared to other centers like Bozak and Holland, not Kessel. Kessel should be compared to other wingers, not centers.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'll go with the guy that has only been outproduced by Giroux and Malkin the past 4 years.

The same guy that has put up more points than Crosby, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Kane, Ovechkin, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews, SEGUIN, and any other star you could name.

Phil the Thrill is elite and in his prime.

Kadri is still finding his way.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I'll go with the guy that has only been outproduced by Giroux and Malkin the past 4 years.

The same guy that has put up more points than Crosby, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Kane, Ovechkin, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews, SEGUIN, and any other star you could name.

Phil the Thrill is elite and in his prime.

Kadri is still finding his way.

Why not keep both and get rid of other players? We have more than enough candidates to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad