Nazem Kadri, or Phil Kessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I got that part. I'll just ignore this thread for the obvious logical flaw in it.

Think the OP is trying to gauge the fan's perception of Kadri given his significantly improved play this season.

Do people put him on par with importance with Kessel, or is it too soon?

Nothing wrong with that.

Of course you keep both.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Think the OP is trying to gauge the fan's perception of Kadri given his significantly improved play this season.

Nothing wrong with that.

Of course you keep both.

Why keep both, or either of them? If a good fit is to be had in a trade, pull the trigger. It's not like we should be committed to Kessel or Kadri.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

Nothing wrong with that.

Of course you keep both.

Fair enough. I'll leave others to it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why keep both, or either of them? If a good fit is to be had in a trade, pull the trigger. It's not like we should be committed to Kessel or Kadri.

Kadri was on for 3 goals against tonight 5 on 5 and it could have been worse. He and Gardiner had atrocious games defensively both coughing up the puck and lackadaisical covering. All one needs to see is game in 6 to see the evidence. http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=710898&lang=en&navid=DL|TOR|home

Kessel gets knocked for his defence but on a night where he was not even worse than Kadri was defensively, I find it strange no one would mention Kadri was worse. I see no reason to keep either player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri was on for 3 goals against tonight 5 on 5 and it could have been worse. He and Gardiner had atrocious games defensively both coughing up the puck and lackadaisical covering. All one needs to see is game in 6 to see the evidence. Kessel gets knocked for his defence but on a night where he was not even worse than Kadri was defensively, I find it strange no one would mention Kadri was worse.

Country Club Phil is who he is, and obviously isn't an ideal player I want on the team.

Kadri has proven to show marked improvement but falls back into a familiar pattern of lazy play after a dozen or so games. He is easily satisfied.

I don't mind walking away from either of those players.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

We've already committed to Kessel, and his deal is a bargain.

Look at how his numbers stack up against the rest of the league's stars, then revisit your post about how the Leafs shouldn't be committing to Kessel.

And Kadri? Well it's about time this team showed some patience and development with young players. How many times have we given up on youth too quickly, only to see them succeed elsewhere?

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009

Look at how his numbers stack up against the rest of the league's stars, then revisit your post about how the Leafs shouldn't be committing to Kessel.

Kessel stacks up offensively at the top of the league. That was never the issue with him, it's the fact that he cannot and will not be a two way player that is leaf fans issue with him.

Of those top of the league players you listed they are significantly more valuable then kessel because they are complete players. Giroux, Malkin at least give you a defensive effort where Kessel (and the entire first line) sucks on that end.

The first line thinks if they watch the puck carrier enough by not engaging at all, that they will give it away. This is why I think Kadri is our best center, he engages the opposing center and it shows in his possesion stats.

This team will continue to be a run and gun non playoff team if your best player refuses to engage defensively because he's never been held accountable in his life as a hockey player. After a few years with kessel on the team, it's easy to see why Boston decided to give money elsewhere.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Country Club Phil is who he is, and obviously isn't an ideal player I want on the team.

Kadri has proven to show marked improvement but falls back into a familiar pattern of lazy play after a dozen or so games. He is easily satisfied.

I don't mind walking away from either of those players.

This is the challenge with him. He has fallen back during this meh streak. Lack of Consistency is his friend. -5 in the last 5 games. In 4 of those losses -8.

This entire team and core are inconsistent, it's not only these 2 guys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Sorry, I'm too busy to look at the NHL Standings to worry about Uncle Phil's stats.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Anyone have Kadri's possession stats against the Boltdonians? zeke? anyone?

No Bill, advanced stats are only useful when supporting Kadri on any given night, don't you know that! People have been asking to see them the last few games, and I've yet to. It's Occam's broom, picking and choosing the stats you like when they are of benefit to you and your agenda.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sorry, I'm too busy to look at the NHL Standings to worry about Uncle Phil's stats.

Wild Card
Toronto Games Played = 37, points = 43
NYR Games Played = 34, points = 42
Florida Games Played = 33, points = 40
Boston Games Played = 37, points = 41

and Finally Washington who keep flip flopping with NYR for the wild card/metro top 3 spots
Washington Games Played = 36, points = 43

Every team has games in hand on us (except Boston) and every team has better underlying stats so you might as well just look at Kessel's personal stats because it projects much better over 82 games than the fate of the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 G, 2 A, 4 Pts, +2 in the last 3 games.

Naz is playing very well.

This reminds me of last year when you attempted to prop up players as playing well, like Gardiner supposedly did. When The Leafs are in an abysmal losing streak.

Maybe we need better players when we are winning. Your standards are ridiculously low. I am tired of reading posts that say players are playing well for a losing hockey team. It is such a mirage.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This reminds me of last year when you attempted to prop up players as playing well, like Gardiner supposedly did. When The Leafs are in an abysmal losing streak.

Maybe we need better players when we are winning. Your standards are ridiculously low. I am tired of reading posts that say players are playing well for a losing hockey team. It is such a mirage.

Reality is not a mirage.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario

How long have you been posting, defending Bozak while he has played for a losing team?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wild Card
Toronto Games Played = 37, points = 43
NYR Games Played = 34, points = 42
Florida Games Played = 33, points = 40
Boston Games Played = 37, points = 41

and Finally Washington who keep flip flopping with NYR for the wild card/metro top 3 spots
Washington Games Played = 36, points = 43

Every team has games in hand on us (except Boston) and every team has better underlying stats so you might as well just look at Kessel's personal stats because it projects much better over 82 games than the fate of the Leafs.

I'm certain Boston will creep into the playoffs and the Leafs will fall out of them.

That's the way it's going to work.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

We absolutely need better players.

If my standards are low, then what are yours, subterranean?

Hockey is a team sport. The issue with this team is not with the players who play well. It's with the players who don't.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We absolutely need better players.

If my standards are low, then what are yours, subterranean?

Hockey is a team sport. The issue with this team is not with the players who play well. It's with the players who don't.

Throwing skilled individuals together wearing the same jersey doesn't always make for a good team. See the pre cap Rangers sign every big name UFA.
It might just be possible that as a collection these players aren't a good team. It just might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad