The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I dunno why this has turned into a Bozak v Kadri thing. It's Bolland v Kadri for that top 6 C spot. And IMO, no matter how well Bolland has been playing, you gotta keep Kadri on that 2C spot with Lupul in the long run. Bolland might not be here past this year and Kadri is this franchise's only shot at a #1 C.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its True! Especially for a top 6 forwars who plays with our best forward on the team. It is unheard of in the NHL where a plug plays with the best forward on the team. It is just :facepalm:

Unheard of? It's rather common to see grinders up on scoring lines. Just look at Abdelkader in Detroit for an obvious example.

As for "the little things", it's something that I've heard coming mainly from coaches when describing their favorite players. Steen is a player that I've heard this about so many times when describing what makes him so good, and anyone that have seen a lot of St Louis over the last year knows what an impact he has on the game.

leafstilldeath*

Unheard of? It's rather common to see grinders up on scoring lines. Just look at Abdelkader in Detroit for an obvious example.

As for "the little things", it's something that I've heard coming mainly from coaches when describing their favorite players. Steen is a player that I've heard this about so many times when describing what makes him so good, and anyone that have seen a lot of St Louis over the last year knows what an impact he has on the game.

1.8 mil cap hit btw. Why don't you go in the bozak thread and asnwer the question I posed. If you provide examples I will consider it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1.4 mil cap hit btw. Why don't you go in the bozak thread and asnwer the question I posed. If you provide examples I will consider it.

Not going to get dragged into a discussion about Bozak with you. I'm just saying that you are wrong in saying putting "plugs" with the teams best player is unheard of.

leafstilldeath*

Not going to get dragged into a discussion about Bozak with you. I'm just saying that you are wrong in saying putting "plugs" with the teams best player is unheard of.

So you are saying that he gets 1 unit PP time and is the first on ice when the team is trailing or looking for offence? It is unheard of because plugs do not get to play with the best forward on any team except maple leafs.

Edit: He does not even get the 2nd PP unit btw forget about the 1st PP unit

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So you are saying that he gets 1 unit PP time and is the first on ice when the team is trailing or looking for offence? It is unheard of because plugs do not get to play with the best forward on any team except maple leafs.

What?

No. I'm not saying the Abdelkader-situation is exactly the same as the Bozak-situation. You said playing plugs with your best player is unheard of, I said you are wrong and gave an example. That's it.

leafstilldeath*

What?

No. I'm not saying the Abdelkader-situation is exactly the same as the Bozak-situation. You said playing plugs with your best player is unheard of, I said you are wrong and gave an example. That's it.

If he was playing Datsyuk on the 1PP unit I would agree with you. He is not joined to the hip like bozo the clown and kessel.

So yea... it is unheard of.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If he was playing Datsyuk on the 1PP unit I would agree with you. He is not joined to the hip like bozo the clown and kessel.

So yea... it is unheard of.

Well you never said they needed to play together on the powerplay as well. If that's what you meant, then you need to do a better job of writing what you mean.

You've never seen a bottom six player on the PP? I've seen so many that I've lost count, especially considering how many of them have been put in front of the goalie.

If you want an example that fits your exact description right away, then Tomas Holmström. He had periods where he played first line, first PP.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
why not give kadri 2-3 games at 1C and see how it goes, cant no if a guy is ready and can handle it unless u see for urself...im tired of seeing bozak and his stone hands and weak vision, especially on the PP

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
why not give kadri 2-3 games at 1C and see how it goes, cant no if a guy is ready and can handle it unless u see for urself...im tired of seeing bozak and his stone hands and weak vision, especially on the PP

To be honest, that position in our PP is barely used for anything other than trying to find a rebound and win the puck back along the boards. I'm not sure Kadri is worse off controlling the second PP than having such a small role on the first PP.

leafstilldeath*

Well you never said they needed to play together on the powerplay as well. If that's what you meant, then you need to do a better job of writing what you mean.

You've never seen a bottom six player on the PP? I've seen so many that I've lost count, especially considering how many of them have been put in front of the goalie.

If you want an example that fits your exact description right away, then Tomas Holmström. He had periods where he played first line, first PP.

That is precisely the point. Someone playing consistently again and again without change ever! That is my problem. Some bottom 6 taking shifts or playing a few games/periods with top line or top PP unit I understand but the same bottom 6 playing these roles consistently when sucking I do not get.

jughead42*

Randy Carlyle: Norris trophy winner as a player, stanley cup winner as a coach.

Toronto Maple Leaf fans: we watch hockey night in canada once in a while and make bad trade offers online in our spare time.

Which one of these is more likely to make an intelligent decision about the way a hockey player should be used? My money is on Carlyle guys. You don't know more than him, and Kadri isn't playing on the 2nd line because there are two guys better at it than he is. Not all the toe drags and diving will ever change that, it will only change when Kadri decides to play like a good player instead of playing like a skilled player. There's a difference. Tyler Bozak is a good player, Nazem Kadri is a skilled player. We're 4-1 with Kadri burried behind Bozak and Bolland, and there's a selke trophy vote getter sitting behind him on the depth chart. Smells like some dandy trade bait to me. In my opinion the Leafs know what they have in Kadri, and they are going to flip him. It's why they didn't cough up the big money deal in the offseason, they know he isn't worth it. He's worth a lot more on his bridge deal, so he can be traded and some other sucker can overpay for his razzle dazzle. Book it.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Toronto Maple Leaf fans: we watch hockey night in canada once in a while and make bad trade offers online in our spare time.

Which one of these is more likely to make an intelligent decision about the way a hockey player should be used? My money is on Carlyle guys. You don't know more than him, and Kadri isn't playing on the 2nd line because there are two guys better at it than he is. Not all the toe drags and diving will ever change that, it will only change when Kadri decides to play like a good player instead of playing like a skilled player. There's a difference. Tyler Bozak is a good player, Nazem Kadri is a skilled player. We're 4-1 with Kadri burried behind Bozak and Bolland, and there's a selke trophy vote getter sitting behind him on the depth chart. Smells like some dandy trade bait to me. In my opinion the Leafs know what they have in Kadri, and they are going to flip him. It's why they didn't cough up the big money deal in the offseason, they know he isn't worth it. He's worth a lot more on his bridge deal, so he can be traded and some other sucker can overpay for his razzle dazzle. Book it.

Not again.:facepalm:

Last time Zack Kassian was so much better than Kadri.

Who do we trade him for now?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Book what? That we trade our most skilled center.....not likely.

Feb 24, 2004
This is a piss poor excuse. Why do linemates matter? I'm willing to bet Naz doesn't come off from a shift with Orr and Ashton to hear RC say "why the hell didn't you guys score?" or "You're not getting anymore icetime till you get a hattrick on the 4th line"

Its obvious theres aspects of Kadri's game that RC doesn't like right now; things that Naz has to fix regardless of who his linemates are.

Why do linemates matter? Are you kidding? Obviously if he's being forced to carry a line by himself and not getting the minutes, it will affect his game.

mikebel111*

Judging by the PGT. looks like nazem had a good game. Am i right?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri is an offensive black hole just like Grabo was. We need another good C like Bozak so we can better compete. We don't need that young punk Gardiner either. Someone more like Kostka is what we need.

I don't think Rielly has a wining attitude, you know, actually, young people we have to many young guys who can't relate to Randy, time to blow up the team and build from UFA

Randy seems like the kind if guy that will stand over you while you work, tell you to do one thing then question why you didn't do the opposite. Randy "the crazy maker" Carlyle

Last edited:

MajorityRules*

Seeing all the commotion about Carlyle and his decisions with his players reminds me of the advanced stats crowd. Even in the face of the facts (like the team winning) they'll still fight tooth and nail in an effort to prove themselves right........although the rest of us can see they are wrong.

Carlyle's decision to reduce Kadri's icetime is justified and it's working. He's played much better the last two games and he's had shifts with Kessel and Lupul together. Team is 4 - 1. Yeah lets get rid of the coach because he's treating a fan favourite with a little tough love.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Carlyle's decision to reduce Kadri's icetime is justified and it's working. He's played much better the last two games and he's had shifts with Kessel and Lupul together. Team is 4 - 1. Yeah lets get rid of the coach because he's treating a fan favourite with a little tough love.

This.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Ummm... he was back playing on the second line with Lupul last night...

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Ummm... he was back playing on the second line with Lupul last night...

This. Not to mention with Carlyle guys always get bounced throughout the lineup over the course of a game/season, you can't read too much into it. He has a good grasp of each guy's skillset and when/where to utilise it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad