The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Kadri is an offensive black hole just like Grabo was. We need another good C like Bozak so we can better compete. We don't need that young punk Gardiner either. Someone more like Kostka is what we need.

I don't think Rielly has a wining attitude, you know, actually, young people we have to many young guys who can't relate to Randy, time to blow up the team and build from UFA

Randy seems like the kind if guy that will stand over you while you work, tell you to do one thing then question why you didn't do the opposite. Randy "the crazy maker" Carlyle

So true. Amazing how both Kessel and Lupul have been destroyed by Carlyle, and how much Kadri has been a complete bust since coming up. If only he just let all the players play like they wanted to. Imagine that, he demands that defencemen actually play good defence. And slowly building Reilly's confidence? Reilly is obviously ready to play 25 min a night.

I want remedial as my coach.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So true. Amazing how both Kessel and Lupul have been destroyed by Carlyle, and how much Kadri has been a complete bust since coming up. If only he just let all the players play like they wanted to. Imagine that, he demands that defencemen actually play good defence. And slowly building Reilly's confidence? Reilly is obviously ready to play 25 min a night.

I was joking but in all fairness this is take 2 on Lupul. Kessel isn't effected because he seems kinda quiet and does his thing. Kadri Gardiner and Grabo and Lupul back in the day are were wild.

From the sounds of it RC is more the shut your pie hole and do what you are told.

Alpha coach does not like Alpha players if Alpha players question Alpha coach. Probably exactly what's going on right there.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kadri is only in the doghouse because he's been terrible. He'll stay in the doghouse until he stops passing the puck to the wrong team.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
People got so excited after last season. PPG centre, they thought. I said you need to keep an 18 game hot-streak in perspective, because that's mainly what it was. Can't maintain that shooting percentage, and production will drop with harder matchups I said. I said fans of both Kadri and Carlyle might start revising their opinions if Kadri ever went cold and started getting the Grabovski treatment, I guess we'll see.

People called me a hater, but I'm actually just realistic. Kadri has already started to get the Grabovski treatment, which in turn makes it harder to break out of the cold streak, which in turn extends the Grabovski treatment, which in turn makes it harder to break out of the cold streak...

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
People got so excited after last season. PPG centre, they thought. I said you need to keep an 18 game hot-streak in perspective, because that's mainly what it was. Can't maintain that shooting percentage, and production will drop with harder matchups I said. I said fans of both Kadri and Carlyle might start revising their opinions if Kadri ever went cold and started getting the Grabovski treatment, I guess we'll see.

People called me a hater, but I'm actually just realistic. Kadri has already started to get the Grabovski treatment, which in turn makes it harder to break out of the cold streak, which in turn extends the Grabovski treatment, which in turn makes it harder to break out of the cold streak...

Didn't watch the game last night where he was back with Lupul on the second line and playing the PP?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I can't imagine why.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
I was joking but in all fairness this is take 2 on Lupul. Kessel isn't effected because he seems kinda quiet and does his thing. Kadri Gardiner and Grabo and Lupul back in the day are were wild.

From the sounds of it RC is more the shut your pie hole and do what you are told.

Alpha coach does not like Alpha players if Alpha players question Alpha coach. Probably exactly what's going on right there.

Yes, but RC "manned up" and said he made an error with Lupul with the Ducks.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Randy Carlyle: Norris trophy winner as a player, stanley cup winner as a coach.

Toronto Maple Leaf fans: we watch hockey night in canada once in a while and make bad trade offers online in our spare time.

Which one of these is more likely to make an intelligent decision about the way a hockey player should be used? My money is on Carlyle guys. You don't know more than him, and Kadri isn't playing on the 2nd line because there are two guys better at it than he is. Not all the toe drags and diving will ever change that, it will only change when Kadri decides to play like a good player instead of playing like a skilled player. There's a difference. Tyler Bozak is a good player, Nazem Kadri is a skilled player. We're 4-1 with Kadri burried behind Bozak and Bolland, and there's a selke trophy vote getter sitting behind him on the depth chart. Smells like some dandy trade bait to me. In my opinion the Leafs know what they have in Kadri, and they are going to flip him. It's why they didn't cough up the big money deal in the offseason, they know he isn't worth it. He's worth a lot more on his bridge deal, so he can be traded and some other sucker can overpay for his razzle dazzle. Book it.

Problem is, we lack depth at Center, and you won't be able to trade him for a better-upside Center one for one. Unless you include Gardiner or something. I don't think 4-5 games into the season is any barometer that will be a definite measure to what he is and ain't. God knows the Leafs already let Steen and Tlusty go, guys that are less talented than Kadri and they have turned out alright. Let him play his limited protected minutes like last year and it will be fine. There are a lot of players not playing to their potential right now.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Can't wait to see Feschuk's next article about the next Leaf in the "dog house" for all of one game.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Once again, the media are besides themselves.

We are 4/1 , they are having a tough time finding anything controversial, negative to talk about.

Notice how they keep pushing the goal tending agenda, the reality of it is, it's not really a big deal for a coach to anoint a tender the #1 but the media keeps on harping about it , like it matters or something, they want that bone to chew on, next thing on their agenda list will be, oh oh the fate of Reims will turn into a do or die situation.

Sad really.:shakehead

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kadri is only in the doghouse because he's been terrible. He'll stay in the doghouse until he stops passing the puck to the wrong team.

In the doghouse? How does one be one of the team leaders in TOI from the doghouse? How does one have one of the best lines on the ice (repeatedly said by the commentators, and I agreed) from the dog house? He played a good game last night.

Feb 24, 2004

Didn't Lupul hate Carlyle in Anaheim?

hockeyfanz*

You know a player is ****ing terrible when the only positive people say about him is "he does the little things" lol.

How true...other things that tell you a player is terrible is when the only positives are that a.) he is good in the room and b.) he is good in the community. Unless those things are paired with he is good on the ice...WTF cares?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Just saw the pre-game vids. Kadri certainly didn't seem too happy. It could be the mins or media or who knows really...

I wouldn't be surprised if Kadri asked for a trade.

stop.... lmao, these are professional hockey players not peewee hockey players who get benched... if kadri wants a trade id give it to him, if u dont want to compete against the other team and YOUR OWN TEAM for roster spots then u can leave, we want players who want to compete not ***** and complain when something isn't given to him.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Lol, Carlyle likes Kadri. From day 1, he has always said that Kadri is a "special talent", who wants to prove all the doubters wrong.

At the same time, if a kid is playing mediocre, you have to play guys who are more deserving. Notice for a few games that was Bolland and Raymond, but last game Kadri was back to 2nd line minutes.

Also note that at no point was Kadri ever removed from the 2nd PP unit, even when he was lining up with the 4th line for a few periods.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last night:

Bozak: 22:05
Kadri: 16:25
Bolland: 12:20
McClement: 15:04

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
He looked good last night playing with actual hockey players. Shocking, I know.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Also it is not a bad thing to bench or be more strict on players like kadri and gardiner.

That just means Randy has high expectations of them, and he should. He knows that they can play better so e doesn't want them half-assing it out there. If benching them or moving them around sparks a fire in them amd leads to them playing to their potential like they should, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Carlyle wants his players buying into his system, and his system wins games. I know everyone will of course point to the unspeakable last 10 minutes+OT of Game 7, but Carlyle is making the most out of this team. Even when the Leafs are seemingly being outplayed, they still put together a win.

Everyone knows Naz has incredible talent to match his skill-set, but Carlyle wants everyone, especially his centers, to be 200 foot players capable of playing in any situation. Obviously he won't stick Kadri out there for a defensive zone faceoff in the third if he has better options, but he wants to make it so maybe one day he will be able to.

I don't think Randy goes too far out of his way to treat his players differently, but if he keeps it up and Naz stays motivated - like he has been, in spades - then I can easily seem Kadri blossoming into a quality 1st line/superb 2nd line center in a short amount of time. He just needs to work on his all-around game and not rely on his God-given gifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad