The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Think every line change is examined too closely, though I do that way too often as well. He's got 4 points in 5 games and was getting good minutes last night. Ice time and lines will just vary depending on how things are going. Not a big deal that's for sure.

Though with how bad we've been in the past maybe it's just second nature thanks to the media to try and find something to worry about. We're winning games despite some poor plays and injuries so that's always a nice sign.

The doghouse is apparently a nice place if Kadri can produce well while in it :laugh:.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
From the sounds of it RC is more the shut your pie hole and do what you are told.

Alpha coach does not like Alpha players if Alpha players question Alpha coach. Probably exactly what's going on right there.

I disagree with your opinion of RC.

I think he's more of a "do what I tell you and I'll reward you"

He seems to be very fair, guys are benched or cut minutes on a nightly basis and rarely do we disagree with his decisions. I don't think I've ever seen a player with low minutes and not deserve it.

Guys have settled into Randy's process, they know how to earn their ice. You don't hear Kadri or Gardiner saying "I'm playing well I don't get why randy isn't putting me out their".

Tyler Biggs*

36 shots and 2 rebounds! Wow! Bernier, Kessel and Phaneuf had fantastic games! And Kadri was much better which is nice to see. Rielly's skating is a joy to watch! Hope Franson is OK...Fisher should have a date with Sheriff Shanny. GLG!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I think Carlyle is one of those coaches that likes to please every player (especially the ones he's fond of, the hard workers like Bolland and Kulemin etc) without trying to put them down.

Carlyle gives Bolland tuns of 5v5 ice-time, because he gives him 0 powerplay time.

meanwhile,

Carlyle gives Kadri little 5v5 ice-time, and gives Kadri tuns of Powerplay time.

I think in Carlyle's ideology it would hurt Bollands feelings if he only gave him ~12-15mins a game without PP time playing strictly in a checking role. Bolland played like 3mins a game on the PP in Chicago, Carlyle probably knows that and wants to give him more ice-time to reward him, instead of giving him PP time because Kadri's clearly better on the PP than him.

jughead42*

I think Carlyle is one of those coaches that likes to please every player (especially the ones he's fond of, the hard workers like Bolland and Kulemin etc) without trying to put them down.

Carlyle gives Bolland tuns of 5v5 ice-time, because he gives him 0 powerplay time.

meanwhile,

Carlyle gives Kadri little 5v5 ice-time, and gives Kadri tuns of Powerplay time.

I think in Carlyle's ideology it would hurt Bollands feelings if he only gave him ~12-15mins a game without PP time playing strictly in a checking role. Bolland played like 3mins a game on the PP in Chicago, Carlyle probably knows that and wants to give him more ice-time to reward him, instead of giving him PP time because Kadri's clearly better on the PP than him.

Yeah, Im sure Carlyle is all sorts of worried about hurting his players feelings. :shakehead :sarcasm:

hockeyfanz*

Carlyle wants his players buying into his system, and his system wins games. I know everyone will of course point to the unspeakable last 10 minutes+OT of Game 7, but Carlyle is making the most out of this team. Even when the Leafs are seemingly being outplayed, they still put together a win.

Everyone knows Naz has incredible talent to match his skill-set, but Carlyle wants everyone, especially his centers, to be 200 foot players capable of playing in any situation. Obviously he won't stick Kadri out there for a defensive zone faceoff in the third if he has better options, but he wants to make it so maybe one day he will be able to.

I don't think Randy goes too far out of his way to treat his players differently, but if he keeps it up and Naz stays motivated - like he has been, in spades - then I can easily seem Kadri blossoming into a quality 1st line/superb 2nd line center in a short amount of time. He just needs to work on his all-around game and not rely on his God-given gifts.

That's called a goalie stealing games. I didn't watch the Nashville or Sens games..but the others I did and I can say that they did not impress much...the difference maker is Bernier. When you get outplayed and outshot and come out on top its usually because your goalie stood on his head. Even the game against the Habs....Reimer was the first star.

Anytime you can be 4-1 and still haven't played up to potential...its gotta be good.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I saw RC's post game during the AVS where he mentioned he is still sheltering Kadri from top lines at this time, and is at a disadvantage especially when we are on the road because coaches like to play their top lines against Kadri. Hence, Kadri was on the 4th line to try and get away from the likes of Duschene. RC does this a lot with Kadri during a game. You might seem him with Lupul, or you might see him play alongside someone like Orr (protection to allow Kadri to play his game and try to muster some offense against the other team's 4th line).

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Didn't watch the game last night where he was back with Lupul on the second line and playing the PP?

I watched a game against a team with exactly zero offensive weapons against which Carlyle would feel the need to keep Kadri off the ice.

And as far as I remember Kadri never stopped playing the second PP unit, even while getting put out on the 4th line at even strength.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
despite the injuries, being jerked around throughout the lineup and given scrubby and different line mates every game, having no ice time...kadri is still producing the pts, cus hes that talented no matter how badly randy wants to destroy him

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I watched a game against a team with exactly zero offensive weapons against which Carlyle would feel the need to keep Kadri off the ice.

And as far as I remember Kadri never stopped playing the second PP unit, even while getting put out on the 4th line at even strength.

Kadri was not playing on the 4th line at all.....last game the second line with Lupul and the game before that on the 3rd line...with Orr and Ashton...we had other players who played on the 4th line.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Kadri was not playing on the 4th line at all.....last game the second line with Lupul and the game before that on the 3rd line...with Orr and Ashton...we had other players who played on the 4th line.

Do you think that Ashton and Orr are 3rd line worthy, this was a line of 2 4th liners playing with TO's potential 1st line center, Kadri.

Put someone like JVR, Raymond, Kessel or Lupul on a line with Kadri and that line becomes TO's second, offensively, put Kadri with Orr and Ashton, you're burying him, plain and simple.

Polo*

kadri has been treated like absolute garbage since coming to leaf land

Im surprised the guy wants to stick around

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Do you think that Ashton and Orr are 3rd line worthy, this was a line of 2 4th liners playing with TO's potential 1st line center, Kadri.

Put someone like JVR, Raymond, Kessel or Lupul on a line with Kadri and that line becomes TO's second, offensively, put Kadri with Orr and Ashton, you're burying him, plain and simple.

Right now with injuries and the suspension they don't have a choice. So don't make it seem like playing with those players is bad for him. It's going to happen. Carlyle seems to be finding a nice balance with him right now. Kadri seems to be willing to do whatever role is needed. Not everything needs to have conflict.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
kadri has been treated like absolute garbage since coming to leaf land

Im surprised the guy wants to stick around
Agreed. He's 23 now, obviously skilled and he competes...he's at the point (and has been for a while) where you put him on the 2nd line and let him play 18 minutes or so a night. No if ands or buts. He'll make mistakes but with "proper" coaching , experience and the confidence he's going to play , I'm confident we'll have a reliable and consistent 2nd line center for years to come. Unfortunately with Carlyle's brand of coaching I don't see this happening.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's called a goalie stealing games. I didn't watch the Nashville or Sens games..but the others I did and I can say that they did not impress much...the difference maker is Bernier. When you get outplayed and outshot and come out on top its usually because your goalie stood on his head. Even the game against the Habs....Reimer was the first star.

Anytime you can be 4-1 and still haven't played up to potential...its gotta be good.

The Nashville game is deceiving. Our defense played pretty well actually, we weren't vastly outplayed. Jamie McClennan was saying how its well know around the NHL that they scue the shot counter in that arena

hockeyfanz*

The Nashville game is deceiving. Our defense played pretty well actually, we weren't vastly outplayed. Jamie McClennan was saying how its well know around the NHL that they scue the shot counter in that arena

I didn't see the Nashville game....but Bernie earned a shutout on 30+ shots....can't ask for anything more from a goalie. My point is other than Ottawa, the Leafs competition has been fairly weak....and they haven't been great while the goaltending has been outstanding. Preds/Flyers/Habs are probably not playoff teams....Colorado looked strong and outplayed the Leafs and won despite a great performance by Bernier

Although the Leafs have had some key players missing, they simply haven't played that well, IMO and can probably hang their 4-1 record on mostly Bernier and Reimer vs. The Habs.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Another 2 pts in the bag. He just produces wherever he gets placed in the lineup. Dynamite on the PP.

First game this season that I've really seen that Kadri/Lupul magic. (cue the "that's because he's been playing with scrubs" comments"

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Randy better wake up and play him more. Randy almost cost us the game by only giving Kadri 15 minutes tonight, even though he was creating dangeorus scoring chances every shift.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Randy needs to "let the dog out" more. Kadri needs to play closer to 20 minutes a game.

If he's not scoring, at least he may draw a few more penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad