The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

oscarknows

Jul 19, 2009
a lot of guys are not playing up to what their able but they did not get demoted ,if kadri was moved up with jvr and kessel for the last 7 or 8 minutes for offence that might have been the difference

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our bottom 6 is decimated because of injuries/suspensions, so if Kadri isn't playing well enough to earn top 6 minutes, by default, he is going to be paired with inferior linemates based on the current state of the roster.

If our roster was healthy, Kadri would be playing with solid linemates (ie. Raymond, Kulemin, or Clarkson) even in a 3rd line role.

Everything is relative.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Poor article with crap generic rhetoric, a 10-year old could've put that together.

Don't believe it for a second, if Kadri wants that 2nd line C spot back he needs to be better AND manage to win a few draws now and then. Nothing more to see here, 'doghouse' my #%&

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Classic leaf land; it's expected that the coach puts a player in the doghouse if they underperform....EXCEPT if it's a player we've all got a crush on. In that case, it's a crime and our coach has no idea what he's doing.

He's underperformed and clearly he isn't doing what RC is asking. Not much else that can be said.

This. He's been a giveaway machine and he's been subpar offensively, save the one game so far.

jughead42*

Could see this coming a mile away, Kadri always disappears when he thinks he has a job sewn up. Can you imagine how useless this guy would have been if we had locked him up to the big money long term deal that all his fanboys were lusting for in the offseason? If you thought the Clarkson contract was an albatross... There is nothing I would love more than to see Kadri moved for something that can help the team actually win while his value is still high. He isn't even half as good as he thinks he is, or all the fanboys think he is. Everyone is all excited about a guy who's essentially a younger and less motivated Grabovski. We all know what happened to him, can't wait to see Kadri get the axe. Some team out there will get dazzled by his little hot streak last year.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I understand that he hasn't been on fire so far this year, but pairing him with plugs like Orr and Ashton won't exactly sharpen his game

People are making a much bigger deal out of that than needs be. Carlyle has been rewarding players that are playing well with more minutes on the ice. Kadri falling down to third string isn't a big deal. It gives him the opportunity to get some more sheltered minutes which should help him out. What is the likelihood that Kadri would be playing with Orr if it weren't for the amount of missing regulars?

Leafs have had to activate their depth due to injuries and McClement missing a game. A healthier line up with Kadri playing either 2C or 3C would have him with any combination of Lupul/Clarkson/Raymond/Kulemin/Ashton/Bodie. Any two wingers from that list isn't a bad group for Kadri to be squeezed in between (maybe with the exception of a Ashton/Bodie combo).

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Neither have JVR, Bozak, or Kessel (among others), but they're still getting more minutes than anyone else. So yes, there is a sense of entitlement floating around, but only for certain players. Carlyle has favourites. Let's face that fact.

Bozak shouldn't be at 22/game but he gets that ice time because he's responsible defensively and wins faceoffs at decent clip, historically- Kadri does neither of those

JVR has been buzzing all season and has used his size well and thrown some hits. He deserves his ice time

Kessel doesn't deserve his longer ice time? This doesn't even deserve a response.

mikebel111*

Could see this coming a mile away, Kadri always disappears when he thinks he has a job sewn up. Can you imagine how useless this guy would have been if we had locked him up to the big money long term deal that all his fanboys were lusting for in the offseason? If you thought the Clarkson contract was an albatross... There is nothing I would love more than to see Kadri moved for something that can help the team actually win while his value is still high. He isn't even half as good as he thinks he is, or all the fanboys think he is. Everyone is all excited about a guy who's essentially a younger and less motivated Grabovski. We all know what happened to him, can't wait to see Kadri get the axe. Some team out there will get dazzled by his little hot streak last year.

yeah trade kadri away. out C depth than is the worst in the league. less motivated? Carlyle has always loved the fire he has in him. you need to stop making false facts. he has proved you wrong everytime. and will do it again. Every player gets in a bad stretch. It's like u expect he be the next gretzky or something.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Bozak shouldn't be at 22/game but he gets that ice time because he's responsible defensively and wins faceoffs at decent clip, historically- Kadri does neither of those

k honest question re: Bozak winning faceoffs - on nights like Tuesday when he clearly wasn't winning faceoffs at a decent clip, could an NHL coach with designs on making the playoffs justify moving Bozak off the top line for a shift or two? keep in mind that this coach is celebrated for making his players earn their ice time, and not just gifting it away. did Bozak earn the right to take almost every offensive zone faceoff in the third period on Tuesday?

jughead42*

yeah trade kadri away. out C depth than is the worst in the league. less motivated? Carlyle has always loved the fire he has in him. you need to stop making false facts. he has proved you wrong everytime. and will do it again. Every player gets in a bad stretch. It's like u expect he be the next gretzky or something.

False facts? Apparently I hallucinated the disappearing act that Kadri pulled last season after getting his moment on coach's corner with Don. The only time Kadri proved me wrong is when he mustered up enough effort to actually earn his way out of the AHL, I didn't think he even had that in him. Now that he's in the show, he's done nothing but live up to everything I've said about him. He only gives an effort if he thinks he has to in order to keep his job. Give it a few games and he'll have a multipoint game to get some heat off, then he'll be able to coast some more. The guy is a player you don't win with.

Mr Scarface*

Remember that it ain't about points or goals for Carlyle. It's everyhing else there is. Everything else is important. People do so much other things on the ice and off. Carlyle's a real hard ass.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Carlyle is fair to all his players.

Has anyone ever claimed otherwise?

Most giveaways with icetime

Gunnarsson - 10 - 80:53 - 1 every 8.05 minutes
Kadri - 8 - 58:22 - 1 every 7.25
Kessel - 7 - 86:59 - 1 every 12.37
Lupul -7 - 70:11 - 1 every 10.02

Bozak 0 - Really?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Bozak 0 - Really?

Does Bozak really have no giveaways? I can't tell if your post is sarcasm or not :laugh:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

Bozak 0 - Really?

Like I've said before; Bozak plays a pretty risk free, 200-ft game. He's the kind of player a coach loves. He might not be a 70pt guy but with his defensive abilities and faceoff skills and the added ability to put up 50pts or so, he's an asset.

Point is: you know exactly what you'll get with bozak on the ice - well rounded, low risk hockey. And that's what RC looks for.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Bozak 0 - Really?

Bozak's got no giveaways for a simple reason. He never has the puck. You'd except a top line center to at least help drive the play but that's not the case with Bozak.

Its easy surfing around when you've got a PPG winger carrying the cup into the offensive zone every single shift.

mikebel111*

False facts? Apparently I hallucinated the disappearing act that Kadri pulled last season after getting his moment on coach's corner with Don. The only time Kadri proved me wrong is when he mustered up enough effort to actually earn his way out of the AHL, I didn't think he even had that in him. Now that he's in the show, he's done nothing but live up to everything I've said about him. He only gives an effort if he thinks he has to in order to keep his job. Give it a few games and he'll have a multipoint game to get some heat off, then he'll be able to coast some more. The guy is a player you don't win with.

he started getting 2nd line mins. so it was a tough adjustment. done nothing? yeah 2hat tricks are underperforming:laugh: completely false that he only gives an effort when his job is on the line. his effort is always there. his consistency is the issue. you know what if this kid is a loser. why don't they just trade him? pretty simple.

hockeyfanz*

How exactly do you play better with Orr and Ashton as your wingers? Yeah... You can't...

Absolutely true. I doubt Sid or Toews would look good skating with two AHL plugs on his wing. Uggh.....this Kadri bashing makes me sick. And worse, I have to watch this love affair with plug #1 Tyler effin Bozak.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Like I've said before; Bozak plays a pretty risk free, 200-ft game. He's the kind of player a coach loves. He might not be a 70pt guy but with his defensive abilities and faceoff skills and the added ability to put up 50pts or so, he's an asset.

Point is: you know exactly what you'll get with bozak on the ice - well rounded, low risk hockey. And that's what RC looks for.

Yeah I was very shocked that he got no other offers as a UFA, thought Vancouver would have for sure after how much Gillis was wanting him in a Luongo deal. He's a really good #2 Centre and a terrific PKer, he might not get you 70+ points but look at the team that the leafs are built after? Krejci and Bergeron sure as hell aren't 70+ point guys, they just play a great two way game and thats what Bolland and Bozak do.

Not saying Bozak and Bolland = Krejci and Bergeron (not so much the case with Bolland, after all he was supposed to be a franchise player coming out of junior), but they play the same game.

But 0 giveaways/turnovers? Flowzak getting it done!!!

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Same garbage as always from Carlyle. A good player ends up in the doghouse and buried while Bozo the Clown is given every opportunity to stink up the joint on the first line.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Carlyle is trying to save his job if leafs are not in the playoff race by December, than Buh Bye Carlyle, join your buddy Wilson. Sad to see we are stuck with another stubborn coach.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
q61.jpg

7347210.jpg

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
This board is unbelievable. Kadri has been okay, not bad but not great either. Carlyle knows he's capable of better, and is pushing him to be better. Okay, yeah it's difficult to produce points with Colton and Ashton on his wings, but I'd take a guess it's not the production Carlyle's concerned with.

He's sending a message, a very obvious one given Bolland is getting Naz's ice time. Be better defensively, and stop with the giveaways. Kadri should have a little leeway, like Kessel, because he's a creative player and guys like him are gonna give the puck away.

We need Kule back, having him on Naz's line is great because he's so good defensively that he can make up for Kadri's mistakes, as well as put the puck in the net

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't see what the issue is honestly. I get that he's not getting icetime, and I do wish he could atleast get 4-5 5on5 minutes with Kessel/Jvr if there are only 2 offensive lines going. However this doesn't equate to being in DogHouse. He's still putting up points too. Bozak is the safer option, and thus is getting more icetime than a developing young player. Kadri will see his icetime fluctuate throughout the season which isn't a bad thing.

Edit: Just listened to Kadri pre-game and he couldn't be more mature about it.

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This is the problem. He hasn't earned any additional ice-time with his play so far this year. There's no entitlement and merit floating around our locker room and I for one like it.

Open up your eyes... Bozak hasn't played particularly well yet he's joined on to the hip with Kessel and never gets held accountable for poor play... The same with Gunnarsson.

Bolland did jack squat vs Colorado and the team needed offense why wasn't Kadri moved up with Lupul waiting until the 5 min mark of the 3rd to put them together. This article proclaims that Kadri wasn't very good vs Colorado is rather proof that the media makes things up and that people like you don't have a clue at what your watching.

Kadri's line created more and played with way more energy than the Bolland line did with less minutes and Orr on the line. That line even scored the only goal while Lupul was out there with Kadri and Ashton..

Simple fact with Carlyle is that he line matches heavy and that's what constitutes the discrepancy between TOI. It's not an identification that someone is in the dog house or even a reflection of poor play. He doesn't roll lines and when he as a head coach is off in identifying who's going and who isn't you get games like the Colorado one... He lost that game for the team not the players. He either didn't identify who was going or this There's no entitlement and merit floating around just isn't true. take your pick which it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->