Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
That’s your opinion, though. Some people recognize the context of the situation and appreciate him. He needs refinement, but a lot of people will have a lot of time for Nazem Kadri. That’s as emotionless as it can get.

I bring in player emotion, and it’s important. It’s why I posted the video of the game against Washington. Kadri is IMO their emotional leader, and I say that objectively, with no emotion.

You’re having trouble making the distinction.

Kadri was also unquestionably the teams best player in game 2 until his suspension.

Naz has said that will never happen again. I believe him.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Our forward depth isn't good enough to move off Kadri. Sure Nylander could take the 3C spot. But what about our winger depth? Marner, Kappy, Johnsson and then it falls off a cliff. I still think having Matthews - Nylander together is the best for them.

Cap casualties need to be the other junk cluttering our roster. Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, Hainsey should all be gone before we look to move Kadri.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No. 3rd line centers are not that hard to find, and Kadri has shown that he is not worth a "legit top pairing". Did you see how expensive it was to acquire Muzzin?

Find me a comparable third C - age, contract, AAV, production, plays with jam, sticks up for his teammates, strong defensively.

I don't think they are easy to find

Reactions: Faltorvo

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Our forward depth isn't good enough to move off Kadri. Sure Nylander could take the 3C spot. But what about our winger depth? Marner, Kappy, Johnsson and then it falls off a cliff. I still think having Matthews - Nylander together is the best for them.

Cap casualties need to be the other junk cluttering our roster. Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, Hainsey should all be gone before we look to move Kadri.

Best post in this thread.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Our cap expenditure might not be good enough to keep him.

This may be the year we are poised to stall as we survive the Marleau contract and try to pay the RFAs.

Dubas is learning how to deal with a top heavy cap and what/where good, cost cutting players he can patch in.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Find me a comparable third C - age, contract, AAV, production, plays with jam, sticks up for his teammates, strong defensively.

I don't think they are easy to find

No. Use Google.

Even if I did, I have no idea if they are available, if Dubas wants them, if they have an expiring contract in July, etc.

I'll give you one for shits and giggles:

Bozak

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
No. Use Google.

Even if I did, I have no idea if they are available, if Dubas wants them, if they have an expiring contract in July, etc.

I'll give you one for ****s and giggles:

Bozak

Say what? Bozak? I don't think he has a single asset the poster you're quoting mentioned. And forget Google, the answer is, Kadri's equivalent doesn't exist, with his contract, in the entire league. He's not going anywhere.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's more than twice, did you miss what I posted earlier? If you did, see above, I put it there again, just for you.

Nobody can say what the future will bring but considering his history, Kadri is likely to get suspended again some point. Maybe he will and maybe he won't but the odds of him getting suspended again next season are much greater than are the odds of other Leafs getting suspended like say Rielly, Hyman, Marner (I could give you many more names if you need them). If you disagree then I agree, you and I may have some bets to make. :laugh::laugh:

I wish I knew what steps (if any) our management team took to ensure this wouldn't happen again. Anger management courses or whatever, I'd be really curious to know if they did anything. Did they even sit him down before the playoffs and tell him how important it was for him to stay in control of him emotions? If not then they really blew it.

He got suspended, so what???

He got suspended in a game that got super over heated due to horrible reffing.

The reffing in that game was so bad that the league benched that crew for the remainder of the POs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The reffing in that game was so bad that the league benched that crew for the remainder of the POs.

I'm a big Kadri fan.

But just stop it - bad reffing doesn't excuse his behavior.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
The Leafs have terrible depth at center and that includes the entire prospect pool. Kadri is also a bargain monetarily speaking. No way in hell they trade him. Having three top centers is the strength of the team and what gives the Leafs a competitive advantage offensively.

He's also one of their only forwards with grit and toughness.

Kadri is not going anywhere.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm a big Kadri fan.

But just stop it - bad reffing doesn't excuse his behavior.
Bad reffing is a absolute reason and very valid.

That game was SO BAD that the league saw it VALID to bench those idiots for the rest of the POs.

As a matter of fact,,one could say Kadri was not the only one to get suspended on that night.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"Kadri's replacement is easy to find"

"Who?"

".... I can't find you one".

Lol. Get some sleep bud.

It's such a ridiculous notion that Kadri can't be traded because no one measures up. No one measures up? Kadri puts himself out of a playoff series 2 years in a row and you can't find a replacement?! How about a live body?! A mannequin on skates?! The Equipment Manager, a winger from a varsity team...

This idea of our Center depth beating the competition is dead and gone. Did Dubas include Kadri in the game plan? I think he did. Did Kadri take himself out? I think he did.

Look at all the teams that went deep in the playoffs. They all did fine without Kadri as their 3rd line C!!!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

That game was SO BAD that the league saw it VALID to bench those idiots for the rest of the POs.

As a matter of fact,,one could say Kadri was not the only one to get suspended on that night.

What about Kadri's other suspensions? Bad reffing?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's such a ridiculous notion that Kadri can't be traded because no one measures up. No one measures up? Kadri puts himself out of a playoff series 2 years in a row and you can't find a replacement?! How about a live body?! A mannequin on skates?! The Equipment Manager, a winger from a varsity team...

This idea of our Center depth beating the competition is dead and gone. Did Dubas include Kadri in the game plan? I think he did. Did Kadri take himself out? I think he did.

Look at all the teams that went deep in the playoffs. They all did fine without Kadri as their 3rd line C!!!

"I still can't name anyone, but I'm going to babble on"

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The refs didn't crosscheck someone in the face in a moment of rage.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think they get a C back if they deal him anyways. It would probably be a multi-player trade in any event.

He's a valuable piece no doubt. Move him if the price fits.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd rather have Kadri than a 4 mil winger. The playoff stuff is disappointing but he's also hard to give up on.

I don't see us trading him but it's not impossible.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

So what? Really? Wow!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So what? Really? Wow!

So what, in the sense of it being a reason to get him off this roster.

When the argument is "get him off this roster because he got suspended again"

i say " so what he got suspended"
no more of a negative impact then 2 years in a row of Melander PO no show

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So what, in the sense of it being a reason to get him off this roster.

When the argument is "get him off this roster because he got suspended again"

i say " so what he got suspended"
no more of a negative impact then 2 years in a row of Melander PO no show
Kadri......last 3 playoffs. 14 Games, 4 points. that's 3 full years of no show, not even mentioning the suspensions.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Say what? Bozak? I don't think he has a single asset the poster you're quoting mentioned. And forget Google, the answer is, Kadri's equivalent doesn't exist, with his contract, in the entire league. He's not going anywhere.
I agree with you, but, what if you could swing a deal where you take a bit of a hit at centre but add the #2 RHD they need?

Andreas Johnsson + Nazem Kadri+(?)
for
Brett Pesce + Lucas Wallmark.

Any takers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad