OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2021-TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Does the US men's national team make as much tv audience and sell as many game tickets as the women? Is there a US national soccer moment as iconic as.....

04webchastain-articleLarge.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yea, I dont get it. They are more popular and more successful. Hell I would wear a Mia Hamm or Julie Foudy or Alex Morgan jersey while I dont even know the name of a single men's team player.

Think of the men's team as the pre-Ovechkin Capitals. They've had some memorable and even decent players but very few "stars" of international or generational quality. Their runs in meaningful competitions are usually disappointments.

The women's team is closer to the Penguins, I hate to say. Other than a few odd down years they're almost always brimming with talent and have championships under their belt, along with a few big losses and disappointments.

Or sub in any NHL team that fits a similar mold...maybe the Avalanche or Wings of the 90s and early 2000s.

But tbh even making comparisons in the same league is tough because the competition for the men is several times stronger for various reasons, though international women's teams seem to be catching up.

Soccer is the #1 sport for any aspiring athlete in most other countries while our top male athletes gravitate toward maybe a half dozen other options (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, track/swimming/ etc ??). Kids abroad grow up playing in the streets/lots and in programs managed or overseen by the big clubs from the time they're very small, while here in the US it's "pay to play" for just about every youth sport, not to mention the various amateur rules against financial support and scouting too young.

It's just not close to a level playing field for the men. It's probably closer to ice hockey pre-Miracle on Ice, now that I think about it.

Women in the US don't have as many opportunities as men in many cases but there's still enough of a pipeline for young soccer players to develop and train, and we seem to do a good job of finding talent up and down the field. I suspect there may be some other cultural factors involved that hamper some countries but benefit ours, as well.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yea, I dont get it. They are more popular and more successful. Hell I would wear a Mia Hamm or Julie Foudy or Alex Morgan jersey while I dont even know the name of a single men's team player.

That’s only because you’re not really a big soccer fan. US Men have some very known high end talents (Pulisic, Reyna, Mckennie, Dest)….

As for the US women….I’ve loved every moment, but their near untouchable run appears to be over. The rest of the world is or has caught up.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fact remains. They sell more tickets and get more tv ratings than the men. They make more money for the federation than the men. They should be paid accordingly. This is not suggesting that a WNBA team should make the same as an NBA team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Spieth, Finau added as U.S. fills team; Reed out

U.S. Ryder Cup Team

The 12-man U.S. team that will compete at Whistling Straits Golf Club in the 43rd Ryder Cup, which begins Sept. 24.
AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS
Patrick CantlayBryson DeChambeau
Dustin JohnsonBrooks Koepka
Collin MorikawaJustin Thomas
CAPTAIN'S PICKS
Daniel BergerHarris English
Tony FinauXander Schauffele
Scottie SchefflerJordan Spieth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fact remains. They sell more tickets and get more tv ratings than the men. They make more money for the federation than the men. They should be paid accordingly. This is not suggesting that a WNBA team should make the same as an NBA team.

I’d love to see the all real numbers laid out….have you seen a legit comparison anyplace?

Ticket sales, merchandising, total revenues including TV, etc….

I thought that was part of the issue with the whole “equal” pay thing….that the men’s team generated more revenue….curious on the real #s.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d love to see the all real numbers laid out….have you seen a legit comparison anyplace?

Ticket sales, merchandising, total revenues including TV, etc….

I thought that was part of the issue with the whole “equal” pay thing….that the men’s team generated more revenue….curious on the real #s.

No. Actually, the women lost their cast because they made more money(made as in paid. not gross income) than the men. It took 40% more games and all the championships but the judge saw the raw numbers and kicked the case.

The television ratings are pretty evident and not even close.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is from a few years ago so maybe it's changed, but it seems like an apples and oranges situation. The revenue and sponsorship moneys are hard to break down and seem to fluctuate with the fortunes of each team, which has been bad for the men and good for the women recently.

But the men don't get paid unless they're on the roster, and even then it's only bonus money based on opponent/outcome/tournament/etc. The women are more likely to have a base salary no matter the match, the outcome, or if they dress. So it's more stable, and this is why the judge ruled against them. I think this is left over CBA consideration from before women's soccer got so popular and professional options opened up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

More recently, the men have rallied to the side of the women in the dispute:

USMNT Players Back USWNT's Appeal Over Equal Pay Wage Claims

edit: it seems like the most fair solution is to split the Federation's finances entirely, right?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The hard truth behind equal pay and women’s soccer – The Bowdoin Orient

Dated now, but has some interesting viewing numbers….

In terms of U.S. viewership for the 2018 Men’s World Cup final and the 2019 Women’s World Cup final, the former drew in 11.4 million viewers compared to the latter’s 14.3 million. However, these numbers are a bit deceptive. As I stated before, the men’s team did not qualify for the tournament, nevermind reach the final. While soccer is certainly not unpopular in the U.S., it still falls behind football, baseball, basketball and hockey. Considering the men’s team did not even participate in the 2018 World Cup, it is tough to imagine that many U.S. viewers would have tuned in to watch unless they were true fans of the sport. Conversely, U.S. viewers who were hardly soccer fans likely still watched the 2019 Women’s World Cup final just to be “patriotic.” To push a little further, what if the women’s team did not advance to the final? How many U.S. viewers still would have tuned into the Women’s World Cup final?

Granted, the women’s team still did demonstrate just how significant they are to American culture commercially by pulling in 14.3 million views, so for that reason alone, they should be earning just as much—if not more—than the men’s team from USSF. Yet when it comes to pay from FIFA, that is a much murkier argument that ultimately reveals the underlying truths behind the pay gap between men’s and women’s soccer.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nats smoked Freddy Freeman tonight as retaliation for Smith hitting Soto last night. Its getting me ready for hockey season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The hard truth behind equal pay and women’s soccer – The Bowdoin Orient

Dated now, but has some interesting viewing numbers….

In terms of U.S. viewership for the 2018 Men’s World Cup final and the 2019 Women’s World Cup final, the former drew in 11.4 million viewers compared to the latter’s 14.3 million. However, these numbers are a bit deceptive. As I stated before, the men’s team did not qualify for the tournament, nevermind reach the final. While soccer is certainly not unpopular in the U.S., it still falls behind football, baseball, basketball and hockey. Considering the men’s team did not even participate in the 2018 World Cup, it is tough to imagine that many U.S. viewers would have tuned in to watch unless they were true fans of the sport. Conversely, U.S. viewers who were hardly soccer fans likely still watched the 2019 Women’s World Cup final just to be “patriotic.” To push a little further, what if the women’s team did not advance to the final? How many U.S. viewers still would have tuned into the Women’s World Cup final?

Granted, the women’s team still did demonstrate just how significant they are to American culture commercially by pulling in 14.3 million views, so for that reason alone, they should be earning just as much—if not more—than the men’s team from USSF. Yet when it comes to pay from FIFA, that is a much murkier argument that ultimately reveals the underlying truths behind the pay gap between men’s and women’s soccer.

Funny how that could read as taking the women down because they made the finals and them men didnt qualify for the tournament.

Sep 19, 2008
Does the US men's national team make as much tv audience and sell as many game tickets as the women? Is there a US national soccer moment as iconic as.....

04webchastain-articleLarge.jpg
Also to add on to this the US men's team isn't even the most popular soccer team in their own country. I assume you can guess which country's team is. (Hint: they play to the South)

Sep 19, 2008
Story please?
They held a town hall today at the arena where fans could just go in and see him speak. Then fans lined up afterwards to talk to him. I told him I appreciated him doing public stuff like this for the fans

Not me but someone else there interviewed him today

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They held a town hall today at the arena where fans could just go in and see him speak. Then fans lined up afterwards to talk to him. I told him I appreciated him doing public stuff like this for the fans

Not me but someone else there interviewed him today

Interesting.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Looking forward to the Les Bullet season they have some depth. Sort of weird season to see how things go performance as far as the whole Beal situation.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just had a thought. What if the Ryder Cup captain put the Captain's Picks to a vote among the automatic qualifiers?

You know every guy who makes the team on points/standings will have an opinion about who belongs there. If the Captain makes picks that run counter to most of those opinions it could cause friction, especially if the dissenter is paired with the pick. And if the CPs stink then that will erode confidence in the captain.

Seems like a serious chemistry issue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just had a thought. What if the Ryder Cup captain put the Captain's Picks to a vote among the automatic qualifiers?

You know every guy who makes the team on points/standings will have an opinion about who belongs there. If the Captain makes picks that run counter to most of those opinions it could cause friction, especially if the dissenter is paired with the pick. And if the CPs stink then that will erode confidence in the captain.

Seems like a serious chemistry issue.

This is new how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: