OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Multiple players walked out on DJ Durkin today during a team meeting.

Wizards only team still cursed. Every other team in DC is making the playoffs or the finals! Even the Nationals had a bad year and finished above .500! And the Wizards are LAST in the East

Redskins - 5-2
Nationals - 82-80?
Capitals - SC Champs
Valor - Arena Bowl champs
Mystics - Eastern Conference Champions
DC United - playoff bound

You included the Valor, really? :huh:

Reactions: Hivemind

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Heartbreaking.

Tragic, and unnecessary, situation but to say no one was held accountable is false. The D-bag strength coach who was at the heart of this entire debacle lost his job.

Also, its been reported that Ellis McKennie is one of the 3 players who walked out on Durkin.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Tragic, and unnecessary, situation but to say no one was held accountable is false. The D-bag strength coach who was at the heart of this entire debacle lost his job.

Also, its been reported that Ellis McKennie is one of the 3 players who walked out on Durkin.
Strength coach got full pay

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Clearly he had a good contract but he did lose his job.
One of the top 20 paid state employees, doesn't have to work, plus he can now market himself as this super intense personal trainer. Players are unpaid and if they talk back to the head coach that oversaw their friend's death and blamed the victim for not drinking enough water maybe they're kicked off the team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Clearly he had a good contract but he did lose his job.

*Edit* Court resigned before he was fired. Regardless, the person at the center of this debacle is no longer employed at UMD.

The coach brought him to the program, so I disagree. Court isn't a part of UMD if Durkin didn't bring him and if you think Durkin didn't know how Court was going to operate I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wizards only team still cursed. Every other team in DC is making the playoffs or the finals! Even the Nationals had a bad year and finished above .500! And the Wizards are LAST in the East

Redskins - 5-2
Nationals - 82-80?
Capitals - SC Champs
Valor - Arena Bowl champs
Mystics - Eastern Conference Champions
DC United - playoff bound

The Valor only won because all 4 teams in the league (a four team league!!) make the playoffs. They were 2-10 in the regular season, finishing last in the league. They essentially got "hot" and won 2 games in a row for the league title. It's a perfect example of why a playoff tournament is a garbage way to decide a league championship.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They clearly didn’t fire him for any principled reason. They fired him because they (inexplicably) didn’t realize how bad the public backlash would be after reinstating him.

It’s still a disaster and I hope this haunts their recruiting for a long time.

I don't know that I root for it to haunt recruiting for a long time because that hurts the kids in the program who have done nothing wrong and only want to represent the University of Maryland but yeah, it's a disaster.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They clearly didn’t fire him for any principled reason. They fired him because they (inexplicably) didn’t realize how bad the public backlash would be after reinstating him.

It’s still a disaster and I hope this haunts their recruiting for a long time.

That seems overly harsh, twabs.

Loh grew a pair and said EFF it, I wanted to fire him, so I’m firing him.

He didn’t have the clout to do so before the public sentiment became ... so public. Once it did, he knew he could do what he felt as right and move on.

Anything (and I mean ANYthing) that surrounds money of this size takes massaging and politics. It just does in our world. We saw it on full display the past 48hrs, and I’m pleased of the outcome.

I’m not a UMD alum, but I grew up as a huge Terps fan/supporter within an easy jaunt of College Park. I spent many nights at old Cole Field House w my Dad and younger brother (who passed away last month unexpectedly from a heart attack at 46) watching Lefty’s Terps. It was an important time for us, as I look back. Those memories are huge for me...and for my Dad. There are a lot of people that have had similar experiences.....are a lot of new ones to be make for kids like that now. Who need the same.

So much has changed but that’s life. I’m going to continue to support the teams, as this is far from their first athletic nightmare to befall the program — I worshipped Lenny Bias and was devestated at 16 when he passed — and they will trudge on.

And it starts with this decision. Be happy that the right decision happened, not unhappy about how it happened.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry to hear about your brother, Rids. I have 2 younger bros and one is that exact same age. I can't even imagine.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sorry to hear about your brother, Rids. I have 2 younger bros and one is that exact same age. I can't even imagine.

I appreciate it... to everyone.

Best analogy I’ve heard (and felt) is it’s like losing a limb. You live, you learn to make due without it, and you can be just fine.

But you’re never the same. And never as good.

Anyway. Thanks again

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad