OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
DC United won again last night. Wayne Rooney had an amazing free kick from 35 yards out for the winner. DCU is now four points up on Montreal for 6th with two games remaining for both teams. DCU can conceivably finish any where from 3rd to 7th. The only way they realistically miss out on the playoffs at this point is if they lose their final two games and Montreal wins their final two games. If DCU loses both and Montreal wins one and draws one they'd both end up with 47 points but DCU has a +15 GD which is the first tiebreaker so they'd almost certainly get the final spot.

It's pretty remarkable their turnaround. They were in dead last and 17 points (I think) out of a playoff spot some time in mid-July.

The first TB is wins, so Montreal will pass DCU.

I saw a news about Rooney's stat, 6 goals in 5. And decided to see what happens in the mls standings. What a goal from the Captain in the last game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not normally a DC United fan but this story seems too good to pass up on. I'll be watching the rest of the season.

I used to be a United fan but that fell by the wayside. I played soccer throughout high school in this area and they were dominant during that time period so we went to games with some semblance of regularity. Once I moved away and stopped playing and they started to suck eggs I stopped following the team but moving back here and this run with Rooney and the new stadium was about everything you could ask for to rekindle my interest in the team.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I used to be a United fan but that fell by the wayside. I played soccer throughout high school in this area and they were dominant during that time period so we went to games with some semblance of regularity. Once I moved away and stopped playing and they started to suck eggs I stopped following the team but moving back here and this run with Rooney and the new stadium was about everything you could ask for to rekindle my interest in the team.
I started following DC United around their last MLS Cup run. The problem with DC United is the fact they gave us nothing to cheer for from 2007 to now besides 2012 season. Sure DC United continued winning but by 2008 the train had fallen off the tracks Freddy Adu was supposed to be future but he wasn't ready. After that DC was never able to find "the guy". Sure Dwayne De Rosario was nice but he wasn't going to lead them to a cup. They were cheap and signed past their prime guys like Carlos Ruiz or mystery players like Danny Allsopp.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I started following DC United around their last MLS Cup run. The problem with DC United is the fact they gave us nothing to cheer for from 2007 to now besides 2012 season. Sure DC United continued winning but by 2008 the train had fallen off the tracks Freddy Adu was supposed to be future but he wasn't ready. After that DC was never able to find "the guy". Sure Dwayne De Rosario was nice but he wasn't going to lead them to a cup. They were cheap and signed past their prime guys like Carlos Ruiz or mystery players like Danny Allsopp.

Yup, good call. The other thing that hurts DCU is the lack of quality in broadcasting. Unless the games are on ESPN they're typically on some low-quality local news station, or you have to stream it live on Twitter. Too often it's hard to watch the games even if you know how to find them.

Sep 19, 2008
United leading 1-0, maybe 2-0 now. Looking good.

Kind of tuned them out after they stopped making the playoffs but this new run helped by Rooney really piqued a little interest. Been meaning to go to Audi Field sometime but have been too busy.

anyway Wizards lost again. Amazing how the Caps can be so good and the Wizards so bad :laugh:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
United leading 1-0, maybe 2-0 now. Looking good.

Kind of tuned them out after they stopped making the playoffs but this new run helped by Rooney really piqued a little interest. Been meaning to go to Audi Field sometime but have been too busy.

anyway Wizards lost again. Amazing how the Caps can be so good and the Wizards so bad :laugh:
Haven’t you heard? Caps are suck this year. ;)

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
United did it. They have clinched and currently sit in 5th place. They can finish anywhere between 3rd and 6th.

They host a bad Chicago team. So a win gets them to 53pts and 15 W's.

That said...I do think the highest they can finish is 4th? Issue being NYC and PHI (2 teams above them) play each others. They are currently tied with PHI for 4th (PHI has the tie breaker at 15W's right now). NYC already has 53pts. I cant see any way that DC can pass both teams? Or maybe I am missing something?

Either way, 4th would seem to be a very achievable goal if they win. NYC winning as well would mean DC is 4th alone. PHI winning would mean 3 way tie for 3rd, with PHI winning 3rd with 16 W's, and DC probably getting 4th based on Goal Differential? (DC is +10, NYC is +12.....DC would go up at least 1, NYC would go down at least 1, so....)

Or so "I think" that I think.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They host a bad Chicago team. So a win gets them to 53pts and 15 W's.

That said...I do think the highest they can finish is 4th? Issue being NYC and PHI (2 teams above them) play each others. They are currently tied with PHI for 4th (PHI has the tie breaker at 15W's right now). NYC already has 53pts. I cant see any way that DC can pass both teams? Or maybe I am missing something?

Either way, 4th would seem to be a very achievable goal if they win. NYC winning as well would mean DC is 4th alone. PHI winning would mean 3 way tie for 3rd, with PHI winning 3rd with 16 W's, and DC probably getting 4th based on Goal Differential? (DC is +10, NYC is +12.....DC would go up at least 1, NYC would go down at least 1, so....)

Or so "I think" that I think.

Correct. I did not look at their schedules and was only looking at points and wins.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Correct. I did not look at their schedules and was only looking at points and wins.
:thumbu:

4th would host 5th for the playoffs, right?

Columbus (6th place) also plays a middling Minnesota team, and Columbus needs to win to stay in 6th. So.....IF Columbus wins, and IF NYC beats PHI

THEN DC would host Columbus, not NYC or PHI. Which could still happen I suppose if NYC and PHI play to a draw?

Lots of permutations. :huh:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Heh this candy bar story from UMD investigation...know it’s not new.....but eesh.

The era of the demeaning bullying coach needs to end. I’m good with tough love but tough with no love is unacceptable.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Wizards STINK. They STINK. Already fighting and bickering about guys being selfish with shot selection, and we're only 6 games in. Catch that Wizards fever, baby!

It's time to blow it up. I mean for real. Pick the biggest cancer and deal him. Now. Try and bring on Jimmy Butler. That guy just wants to win.

Brooks looks ready to explode.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's time to blow it up. I mean for real. Pick the biggest cancer and deal him. Now. Try and bring on Jimmy Butler. That guy just wants to win.

Brooks looks ready to explode.

Jimmy would be great... but who do you surround him with? The Rockets offered 4 1st-round picks for Butler and they're much closer to competing than the Wizards. Is it Beal at this point?

First order of business is clear: get Ernie out of the building and bring someone in with a fresh perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad