OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
This is the first time in a long time I haven't watched a single inning of baseball yet. Its kinda liberating...but yet sad at the same time since Ive always been a baseball fan.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The O's are the Ottawa Senators of the MLB. There's just no real hope.
The Orioles are bad and it's likely they're going to be bad for a while. But I don't really think they're the Sens. There's definitely some degree of dysfunction and power struggle in the front office, but it's nowhere near the level of what's going on in Ottawa. And moreover, it's likely to transition after this season. I can't envision Duquette being around next year. And for as justly maligned Angelos has been, he's still leaps and bounds better than Melnyk, and is transitioning control to his sons.

Both teams have a superstar they're about to deal away. I think the Orioles have a much better chance of getting a franchise-altering return than the Senators do. Outside of the Eric Lindros trade, you rarely get franchise building returns in hockey. The Orioles got one in exchange for Erik Bedard. Heck, even the return for Koji Uehara was huge. While I'm not holding my breath that Machado's return will end up saving the franchise on it's own, I think there's a reasonable chance that it could be a cornerstone from which to build the next chapter of Orioles baseball.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The O's have the worst player in the league, quite literally, being paid $21M/year for the next 4 years after this one. With a stingy owner, there's no chance they spend anything in the free agent market. There's one major route for acquiring talent.

They've basically ignored the foreign market for as long as I can remember. There's another route for acquiring talent.

Of their 7 top 5 picks in the last 20 years, they've hit on 2 that have become anything more than above-average players. One's gone ad one's out the door. They've been notoriously bad at developing any minor league talent. There's another route for acquiring talent.

So now we're left hoping that the Machado trade (and likely subsequent Britton and Schoop trades) alter their course. Not optimistic. Even if they hit on it like they did the Bedard trade, that's one long-term above average player in Jones. Tillman has basically been a roster filler or worse for all but two of his seasons in Baltimore.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The O's have the worst player in the league, quite literally, being paid $21M/year for the next 4 years after this one. With a stingy owner, there's no chance they spend anything in the free agent market. There's one major route for acquiring talent.

They've basically ignored the foreign market for as long as I can remember. There's another route for acquiring talent.

Of their 7 top 5 picks in the last 20 years, they've hit on 2 that have become anything more than above-average players. One's gone ad one's out the door. They've been notoriously bad at developing any minor league talent. There's another route for acquiring talent.

So now we're left hoping that the Machado trade (and likely subsequent Britton and Schoop trades) alter their course. Not optimistic. Even if they hit on it like they did the Bedard trade, that's one long-term above average player in Jones. Tillman has basically been a roster filler or worse for all but two of his seasons in Baltimore.

I don't disagree with most of what you said (although I think you're underselling Tillman's importance to the team from the later half of 2012 through 2016).

But the team has a chance at a new chapter coming up. For as awful as the Davis contract is (and it still puzzles me who they were bidding against there), Angelos has been much more willing to open up his checkbook in the past several years. They've been an above-average payroll team for a few years now. The payroll nearly doubled between 2011 ($97M) and 2017 ($182M). Moreover, Angelos is ceding more and more control of the franchise over to his children, which is (hopefully) leading to a new era in Orioles history. Hopefully the ownership edict to not spend money on international players will vanish with Peter Angelos. Similarly, the front office should be seeing changes soon. Duquette should be gone this off-season. Brady Anderson is taking increased control of baseball ops even with Duquette still here. The O's front office is a dysfunctional mess right now, no doubt. But there's at least the hope that the younger Angelos' could learn lessons that their father couldn't, and that an empowered Anderson could mold the franchise in ways that a neutered Duquette was never able to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still pessimistic about their future outlook. But I don't think they're Ottawa Senators level of bad. The Senators have hundreds of millions in debt, traded away a likely lottery pick in 2019, locker room drama, and a front office member on trial for assault. There's even less hope for redemption in Ottawa.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's the Yankees per other sources. He may just get on the plane with them tonight. I wouldn't blame him.

O's winning % is at .283 which is their worst ever in Baltimore. Gotta go back to 1939 as the St Louis Browns for a worse year.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
3 months ago I was like I would be joyous if the Caps win the Cup but satisfied if the Ravens draft Lamar Jackson or Rosen

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It's the Yankees per other sources. He may just get on the plane with them tonight. I wouldn't blame him.

O's winning % is at .283 which is their worst ever in Baltimore. Gotta go back to 1939 as the St Louis Browns for a worse year.

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Cool that Harper won the HR Derby. He got on a nice roll to close it out. Nice memory to have for the end of the Bryce Harper era in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad