World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think people know what racism is anymore. They call everything racist.

Please proceed what is racism if not claiming you don't want to be associated with them or have them in the dressing room?

The comments that "surfaced" are from about 7 years ago, ,doesn't translate to what the headlines were, and even so, he put out a statement regarding the whole thing a few days later.

You will have to travel far to find a kinder, more level-headed and more-well meaning athlete than Rakitic.
One clumsy mistranslated and misinterpreted statement and the HF boys label the dude a racist.
(although what racism has to do with any sort of sexuality, I don't know)

EDIT: Although I see old Evilo now says Rakitic said he doesn't like playing with black people.
Which wasn't even in that poorly translated, misinterpreted interview.

But F it, if you're dumping on the guy, why not just make things up as you go along.

The quotes are pretty damning. How are they not homophobic and racist? Even if they were 7 years ago there is no time limit on the disgusting remarks.

I don't even want to dump on the guy and actually didn't want to believe the comments were real. He plays for my favourite team and I liked him just enough. Never had anything bad to say about him. Actually liked him... sooo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Please proceed what is racism if not claiming you don't want to be associated with them or have them in the dressing room?

The way I read the quote seems like certain things were either taken out of context or misrepresented (but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt unless it's verbatim). I think it comes from a place of ignorance/discomfort and preference more than being outright racist. I don't want to really get into it too much because I don't like talking about these things online as they always become super crazy but while I don't share those views I can see how having someone who is gay in a men's locker room would make some people uncomfortable in the same way having a man in a woman's locker room would make some people uncomfortable. I don't think that his preference for not having them around was meant to be applied to the 'black, dwarf or obese' person thing; like I said it was a terrible analogy IMO but I think he was just trying to say he respects that lifestyle and those people in the same way he respects other different people from himself.

For me racism is more about outright prejudice, hate and inciting violence, etc. taking away opportunity. Not about a personal preference on who some people choose to surround themselves with in their personal lives or certain aspects that make them uncomfortable.

At the end of the day everyone has certain preferences or little prejudices about people that are different from them (whether the difference is physical, or interest based, etc.). Are you prejudiced because you wouldn't consider a man as a sexual partner because that's not your preference? I dunno, I think everyone should be respectful and kind to everyone else, and a little more open minded to the fact that no everyone thinks the same way or will have the same opinions. I don't think that means that everyone needs to be included on everything and I do believe in the freedom of personal preference and choices, as long as those feelings and choices aren't intended to hurt other people.

Anyway, anyone is welcome to interpret these things in their own way.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don't want to really get into it too much because I don't like talking about these things online as they always become super crazy but while I don't share those views I can see how having someone who is gay in a men's locker room would make some people uncomfortable in the same way having a man in a woman's locker room would make some people uncomfortable.

Yeah no this is a super homophobic take

There is no context in which Ivan Rakitic being like "I don't want gay men in my locker room" isn't super homophobic

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I fail to see how a conversation about the issue of homophobia and racism in soccer isn't a discussion about soccer.
This would be a good topic for the political board, but that doesn't exist anymore. But we can start a thread specifically for this though if you all want to and have it centralized there. But the problem is more likely than not politics will get involved and that isn't ok.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

The quotes are pretty damning. How are they not homophobic and racist? Even if they were 7 years ago there is no time limit on the disgusting remarks.

I don't even want to dump on the guy and actually didn't want to believe the comments were real. He plays for my favourite team and I liked him just enough. Never had anything bad to say about him. Actually liked him... sooo

The headline was a warped version, completely out of context, according to Rakitic.
(back in the day, when the interview happened years ago, he had a written statement and then a quick follow up in Croatian on one of the TV channels later... and no, the headline reads nothing like what Rakitic was saying)

But that was 7 years ago. I have no idea why this stuff resurfaced, and my problem with it that from what I read only the warped interview resurfaced but not the Rakitic statements, clarifications and basically the negation of the headlines.

He is a genuinely super nice guy- so I tend to take his word on the whole thing.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah no this is a super homophobic take

There is no context in which Ivan Rakitic being like "I don't want gay men in my locker room" isn't super homophobic

He never actually said that though - according to him.

I'll try and find his TV statement from 7 years ago (probably on the internet somewhere), but as far as I remember his statement was that he never said it the way the interview presented it, but something akin to, while he has no problem with it, like with any other minority etc., if that happened and all that media and everyone was talking about was that one players sexuality instead of actual football, he'd rather skip it.

Something like that, anyway.

(that said, Croatia is a country where the Catholic church influence is strong, I know a lot of good and kind people who say dumb and hurtful things because of how they've been indoctrinated by religion from basically birth and were never able, or given the chance, to form their own opinions about a lot of things, develop their critical thinking etc.... Mind you, Rakitic grew up in Switzerland and has spent his adult life in Germany and Spain, so dunno how relevant that is)

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Even though the World Cup is 3.5 years away (remember its November 2022 :help:) the first teams have already been eliminated from qualifying. Brunei, Laos, Timor-Leste, Pakistan and Bhutan are already out all teams outside the top 150 of FIFA Rankings. The "big names" of Asia already start qualifying in September and the draw is in July

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
...yet organizing a world championship in Qatar seemed the most obvious choice: a mild climate, a great football tradition, a symbol of human rights and integration. I would never have thought of corrupt activities ...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not really, I know you're Italian.
And Italy regarding corruption, integration and all?
Top easy to pass up! :D

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Simeone tipping Gallardo as the coach of the NT. Saying Argentina always need to be coached by an Argentinian. Maybe he should get off his ass and move on from Atleti? Instead, of dictating from afar.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The 2nd round of the Asian World Cup qualifying groups were determined today with 8 groups of 5 teams

A: China, Syria, Philippines, Maldives, Guam
B: Australia, Jordan, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait, Nepal
C: Iran, Iraq, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Cambodia
D: Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Palestine, Yemen, Singapore
E: Qatar*, Oman, India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan
F: Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Myanmar, Mongolia
G: UAE, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia
H: South Korea, Lebanon, North Korea, Turkmenistan, Sri Lanka

*Qatar is involved because this also serves as the qualification for the 2023 Asian Cup.

The groups winners advance to the final group stage along with the four best runners-up. A total of 4 teams from Asia will eventually qualify (along with hosts Qatar) with a playoff spot for a potential 5th. These games start in September and end June 2020. Right off the bat is the Korean derby which is always interesting while Iran and Saudi Arabia have potentially tricky opponents in Iraq/Uzbekistan respectively. Japan and Australia couldn't ask for a better group, though Australia seems to be on a massive decline last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad