World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Saudis and UAE were both very angry Qatar wasn’t helping them enough with murdering people in Yemen. They will probably try to pay more people or make threats on players safety while impersonating Qataris.

With the help of our very stupid country they wanted to invade Qatar a little while ago and were told no.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Soooo CONMEBOL with the help of FIFA have ousted Tapia as the head of Argentina's federation. While Tapia is a crook himself and the AFA is better off without him, I can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy and the arrogance of both parties.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Dumb move IMO. I get that you want some consistency but he's shown very little promise as a head coach and you've got a Copa on home soil coming up which could easily end up in a disaster knowing this team, and then you'll have to fire him anyways.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Pretty confusing list for one thing you can probably argue that the CBs for the u23 is better than the first team squad. They also said L.Martinez was going to get called but yet Balerdi ROJO?lol are ahead of him why? Balerdi wasn't even on the u20 WC squad. Stupidity all around. Another thing Ascacibar is on the u23 is plain wrong at this point he's the best DM they have. Anyway glad so many young stars are getting a look (Gaich isn't one). Anyway still exciting to see Argentina have potential good players all around just need to get a coach.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Happy to see Mac Allister get the call up, need that to keep happening so he can get a work permit here in Brighton

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
28 players called up for the Belgian NT.. not sure why you need a squad that big for games against San Marino and Scotland

Witsel and Kompany are injured and are not called up. Two players make their first appearance: Benito Raman (Schalke 04) and Yari Verschaeren (Anderlecht)

I expected Aston Villa defender Bjorn Engels to get a chance but he didn't make the squad

sLXDE0E.png

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Portieri Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Pierluigi Gollini (Atalanta), Alex Meret (Napoli), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino).
Difensori Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus), Emerson Palmieri (Chelsea), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Armando Izzo (Torino), Gianluca Mancini (Roma), Luca Pellegrini (Cagliari), Alessio Romagnoli (Milan).
Centrocampisti Nicolo' Barella (Inter), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Frello Filho Jorge Luiz Jorginho (Chelsea), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Stefano Sensi (Inter), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain).
Attaccanti Andrea Belotti (Torino), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Stephan El Shaarawy (Shangai Shenhua), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Kevin Lasagna (Udinese).

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
May have been mentioned elsewhere but TSN have stepped up to take on some select Euro qualifiers this week. May not seem like a big deal but the inability to watch Nations league or Euro games in Canada over the past year was quite stunning.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Rakitic once again drops out of the Croatia squad and I think it’s safe to say he is probably retiring from international football

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Rakitic once again drops out of the Croatia squad and I think it’s safe to say he is probably retiring from international football

Nah. He's going through a tough stretch at Barca, was the last day of the transfer period, he'll be back soon.

Kovacic is also out because of an achilles problem, as is Kramaric.

Possible lineup vs Slovakia:

Livakovic
Jedvaj-Lovren-Vida-Barisic
Modric-Brozovic-Vlasic
Brekalo-Rebic-Perisic

Not looking great tbh. We never had great depth to begin with, without Vrsaljko, Rakitic, Kramaric, Kovacic... It's not the same team.

Also, I was hoping Bradaric would get a call, still only 19 and seems to have won a spot in the starting 11 at Lille - best LB prospect we've had since Jarni.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I expected a let down post World Cup but this current teams looks so weak on paper, especially at the back. Other than Vida and recently Jeddah since moving to Augsburg it’s guys not playing or playing at really low levels (SPL, midtable Turk clubs, Denmark etc). I worry about this Slovakia match but in this qualifying format as long as they win their remaining home games + Azerbaijan they should be fine but I’m not overly confident

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I expected a let down post World Cup but this current teams looks so weak on paper, especially at the back.

We have basically no fullbacks other than Vrsaljko. Even in the WC, while Modric and Brozovic were our best players and everyone played great, Vrsaljko was our most important player. Without him we lose any kind of width, and it's all just very sad.
I'm glad he finally got his surgery and recuperation, can't wait for him to get back on the pitch.

I really do hope that Bradaric amounts to something, we've had no proper LB since Jarni, that's nearly 20 years.

It looks weak on paper because it is no longer the team that got to the WC final, and we have no depth to replace all these guys.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Costa Rica's coach stepped down because he was bored and felt unproductive as national team coach. He is supposedly leaving for a Liga MX team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We have basically no fullbacks other than Vrsaljko. Even in the WC, while Modric and Brozovic were our best players and everyone played great, Vrsaljko was our most important player. Without him we lose any kind of width, and it's all just very sad.
I'm glad he finally got his surgery and recuperation, can't wait for him to get back on the pitch.

I really do hope that Bradaric amounts to something, we've had no proper LB since Jarni, that's nearly 20 years.

It looks weak on paper because it is no longer the team that got to the WC final, and we have no depth to replace all these guys.

Never understood why you guys didn't play a back 3 with Vrsaljko & Perisic as wingbacks to bolster your width.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Never understood why you guys didn't play a back 3 with Vrsaljko & Perisic as wingbacks to bolster your width.

Every time three at the back was tested it ended in disasters, albeit usually friendly matches and without the strongest team

Anyway this window opens the World Cup qualifying in Africa and the start of the next round of Asian qualifying. None of the 'big' teams are involved yet though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad