World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My fear is that Spain will get him.
Didn't he get called up for France a couple of years ago because of this fear? At this point though you can hardly blame him for "choosing" Spain. If he can still go. If you're willing to trade I have a lethal striker who captains one of the most prestiges clubs in Serie A.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think he got called up, but either didn't play or played in a friendly.
I'll have to look it up.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah he's still eligible to play for Spain.
But he says he doesn't consider it and wants to play for France, that he's played for every youth category for France.

Kudos to him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not one to usually be saying any older looking player from Africa is over the age-limit because I think its talked about too often for how often cheating is found, but Nigeria does have a long history of being caught cheating in youth tournaments. They cheat more often than other countries that are often called cheaters.

We always draw them as an opponent in these tournaments. A few years back in the U17 World Cup, we faced them with the Pulisic and Adams group of players, and they completely wiped the floor with us. Looking at their roster, only 1-2 of their players now are still known names.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't want the size to make the tournament feel like a gimmick which the 48 teams would have done, but I also want Canada to stand more of a chance in qualifying. The decision left me feeling a little torn but overall I think they made the right decision.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Maybe Silva would’ve been a smarter option?

Dunno. We don't have access to the lockerroom. But I would've thought a guy like Marcelo would've been a better option.
Generally well-liked, alternate captain at Madrid, experienced, etc.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Marcelo isnt on the Copa squad

67537D50-1DDD-4FBE-8F17-5DE9E858C031.jpeg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is Militao a starter yet? Give him the captaincy he could be captain for the next 2 decades.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Rebic and Rakitic are out for the Wales tie.

From a NT perspective, this year has been pretty horrible lol, soooo many players paying dues for playing through the WC injured etc.

Rebic, Lovren, Vrsaljko, Pjaca, Brozovic, Strinic, now even Rakitic and Vlasic, etc... So many injuries, and that's even ignoring the fact the all missed training camps for their teams and lagged behind physically for half a season.
A summer off could do wonders for guys like Rakitic, Rebic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Modric- who need serious time off to get their bodies in top shape again.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Rakitic you could see at all throughout the year. He was amazing in 2017-18, probably his best season for Barça, followed by a great World Cup. But this season he often looked tired and didn't have that same drive you saw with him last year.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Rakitic you could see at all throughout the year. He was amazing in 2017-18, probably his best season for Barça, followed by a great World Cup. But this season he often looked tired and didn't have that same drive you saw with him last year.

He had a pretty good first half of the season, much better than some of the other NT players who just looked completely drained.

But towards the end of the season, he looked spent. Which, btw, is why he's not playing vs Wales.
These are rumors, but apparently he asked Dalic to skip the game this time as he's physically and emotionally completely spent.
No injury, just the dude who played more football games than anyone on Earth in the last 2 years being spent.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I have a feeling there is more to this Rakitic story, I know Cro media is prone to click bait stuff but it wouldn’t shock me if Rakitic retires from the NT which was rumored anyway after the WC. SN had a story of how Rakitic doesn’t feel appreciated in Cro

Edit: Now there are stories saying Rakitic will continue playing for the NT

I don’t have good feeling about NT this cycle, only thing that saves them is the qualifying format where even if they finish 3rd they will still probably make it. Also as much as I want them to play in Split I don’t think a match there will go without incident so there’s that to think about in a few months :D

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Croatia always make qualifying for a major tournament harder than it should be and this cycle is shaping up no differently.

They should get to EURO 2020 but, they are going to leave it to the death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad