Nathan MacKinnon and Cale Makar Vs Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin going forward?

Which tandem do you choose for the future?

• Total voters

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
What COL fans don’t realize is Eichel is closer to Mackinnon than Makar is to Dahlin. Simple as that.!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Went with the buffalo guys. I think Dahlin is gonna be more ahead of Makar than Mackinnon is ahead of EIchel

Reactions: lauraP

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There is a big gap between MacKinnon and Eichel imo. One can carry a franchise and is a mvp runner up. MacKinnon is closer to McDavid than Eichel. Results speak for themselves.

Mackinnon broke out season 5. before that he hadnt even hit 65 pts. EIchel is coming off 82pts season 4.
not a buffalo fan but these guys are pretty close, especially if eichel gets 90pts this year

Reactions: lauraP

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mackinnon already is the best player in the world if you dont count McDavid, and while possible, its unlikely that Dahlin gets room to sleep between McD and MacK in their very own kingsize bed in the Highest Tier mansion

Why would that be unlikely? Dahlin is ridiculously special.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
AVs duo, but it really is close.

Mackinnon is just simply better than Eichel. You can spout off any stats, but was playing on some terrible teams until the turnaround which he contributed. Eichel played with and sheltered with ROR.

Dahlin is better than Makar. Question is the gap greater than the 1Cs? Makar was dominant in the playoffs, College, Hobey Baker, and WJ. He could be even better, but until he plays a full season, Dahlin is just much better.

Honestly, the gap between the DMen is greater than the 1Cs. If Makar continues to improve after a stellar playoffs and college seasons, this easily tilts to the AVs.

“Mackinnon is simply better the Eichel.”

You can totally make the argument that he’s not and they’re in the same boat, but unfortunately 90 percent of this forum hasn’t even watched Eichel play ten times due to the team he’s on, lack of playoff exposure. CBC can ride Mackinnon as the Canadian hero on mcsavids level and the masses can see this but when you look at the games and you see how dominant both are, you know it’s close. Even the production isn’t far off. I find it hilarious that when people said Rantanen was better then Eichel, those same people say Mackinnon is better then Eichel. I think these people don’t watch Eichel because that statement right there doesent make any sense. Why? Because if Eichel had a player better the House HIMSELF on his line he would easily put up 100 pts a year. He was on pace for 89 last year and had 82 in 77, pace matters when it’s over 75 games. So that’s just eleven more points thus outscoring mackinnon again at a younger age. That’s being polite since jack could of easily gotten 100 this year if so many players on his team weren’t incompetent and just buried beautiful open net tap ins he created for them. Just imagine all of the other chances that would rise if he head another player of his talent. You can say skinner is great he’s the best he’s had and he still never has had a teammate get over 65 Pts.

People think since I wrote a lot I just am some biased fanboy, sure like all I can be biased, I am a fan, I’ve also been here 15 years and talk about other players too but there’s a huge injustice with eichels perception league wide by fans and media alike.

The truth is they’re closer then most people think.

With eichels dominant transition, puck possession, primary assist, multi point games, high shot count numbers (skated faster then Mackinnon two speed skates in a row) I have no doubt he’d be doing as good or better in Mack’s role.

I mean Eichel is destroying Mackinnons production at similar ages. If people want to say Petterson is better then Eichel because of rookie seasons then Eichel is better then Mackinnon too using the logic of season 2,3,4 comparisons. Again Eichel had 201 pts in his last 203 games the last three years on abysmal teams.

Mackinnon never even got 65 points even until Rantanen showed up and now had two 97 and 99 point seasons playing with an incredible two way puck possession player in Gabriel landeskog, and a huge beast dominant winter in Rantanen who only
Has one season under 80 pts meanwhile Mackinnon has what five seasons under 65? Or is it four? Mackinnon LITERALLY doubles his production when Rantanen came.

The best thing though is the fact Eichel at 20 in his second season outscoree Mackinnon who played the entire year and was in his fifth season but Eichel missed two and a half months and had more Pts Then him in just the 61 games jack played. That tells me that Mackinnon would be awful in the circumstances Eichel is in. Because when his team was the Lowest scoring team he only Managed 53 points. Something eichels never done is get that low despite missing multiple months of two different seasons in similar circumstances.

Eichel also has a higher career points per game.

I love, I just love pointing these things out. It puts thing in perspective. People will se one day, how good Eichel is, from what I said above I can’t see if anyone read it how they could possibly not that he’s on his level not ahead of it because almost everything points to that. No matter what “consensus” or media driven narratives are formed for the Canadian boy on the best line in the league.

At the end of the day people started to see why he was better then Laine even though no one thought he was because they don’t watch him, why he’s better then barzal but due to point count year before last no one possibly thought that because they don’t watch him. I’m not saying he’s goi g to be proven as better then Mack but everything points to him being right there with him if not ahead due to age and circumstance.

I mean it’s right there in black and white. Mack failed in eichels circumstances when he had that same situation, he has a very different one now and still wasn’t night and day ahead.

Reactions: Buf fan in Nash

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Took the sabres duo, Dahlin could be the best D-man in the league in about 2 years, this kid is incredible he looks like a vet out there, every time i watch him i have to remind myself that he's 18

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
“Mackinnon is simply better the Eichel.”

You can totally make the argument that he’s not and they’re in the same boat, but unfortunately 90 percent of this forum hasn’t even watched Eichel play ten times due to the team he’s on, lack of playoff exposure. CBC can ride Mackinnon as the Canadian hero on mcsavids level and the masses can see this but when you look at the games and you see how dominant both are, you know it’s close. Even the production isn’t far off. I find it hilarious that when people said Rantanen was better then Eichel, those same people say Mackinnon is better then Eichel. I think these people don’t watch Eichel because that statement right there doesent make any sense. Why? Because if Eichel had a player better the House HIMSELF on his line he would easily put up 100 pts a year. He was on pace for 89 last year and had 82 in 77, pace matters when it’s over 75 games. So that’s just eleven more points thus outscoring mackinnon again at a younger age. That’s being polite since jack could of easily gotten 100 this year if so many players on his team weren’t incompetent and just buried beautiful open net tap ins he created for them. Just imagine all of the other chances that would rise if he head another player of his talent. You can say skinner is great he’s the best he’s had and he still never has had a teammate get over 65 Pts.

People think since I wrote a lot I just am some biased fanboy, sure like all I can be biased, I am a fan, I’ve also been here 15 years and talk about other players too but there’s a huge injustice with eichels perception league wide by fans and media alike.

The truth is they’re closer then most people think.

With eichels dominant transition, puck possession, primary assist, multi point games, high shot count numbers (skated faster then Mackinnon two speed skates in a row) I have no doubt he’d be doing as good or better in Mack’s role.

I mean Eichel is destroying Mackinnons production at similar ages. If people want to say Petterson is better then Eichel because of rookie seasons then Eichel is better then Mackinnon too using the logic of season 2,3,4 comparisons. Again Eichel had 201 pts in his last 203 games the last three years on abysmal teams.

Mackinnon never even got 65 points even until Rantanen showed up and now had two 97 and 99 point seasons playing with an incredible two way puck possession player in Gabriel landeskog, and a huge beast dominant winter in Rantanen who only
Has one season under 80 pts meanwhile Mackinnon has what five seasons under 65? Or is it four? Mackinnon LITERALLY doubles his production when Rantanen came.

The best thing though is the fact Eichel at 20 in his second season outscoree Mackinnon who played the entire year and was in his fifth season but Eichel missed two and a half months and had more Pts Then him in just the 61 games jack played. That tells me that Mackinnon would be awful in the circumstances Eichel is in. Because when his team was the Lowest scoring team he only Managed 53 points. Something eichels never done is get that low despite missing multiple months of two different seasons in similar circumstances.

Eichel also has a higher career points per game.

I love, I just love pointing these things out. It puts thing in perspective. People will se one day, how good Eichel is, from what I said above I can’t see if anyone read it how they could possibly not that he’s on his level not ahead of it because almost everything points to that. No matter what “consensus” or media driven narratives are formed for the Canadian boy on the best line in the league.

At the end of the day people started to see why he was better then Laine even though no one thought he was because they don’t watch him, why he’s better then barzal but due to point count year before last no one possibly thought that because they don’t watch him. I’m not saying he’s goi g to be proven as better then Mack but everything points to him being right there with him if not ahead due to age and circumstance.

I mean it’s right there in black and white. Mack failed in eichels circumstances when he had that same situation, he has a very different one now and still wasn’t night and day ahead.

I'm much higher on Eichel than many others and believe he is the 3rd best young 1C in the league.

McDavid and Mackinnon are at a different level of play that is beyond his current level. They not only elevate the scoring of their linemates, but the team itself. This is not a fan bias, since Mackinnon playing for the AVs has significantly less exposure than BUF being close to the border when nearly half the fans are CDN. So his exposure is much higher. Speed? Few if anyone would consider the edgework and explosiveness of Mackinnon that constantly shows on the nightly highlights as being slow. Eichel might be faster on a straightaway, but means little if the separation in cutting between defenders is not significant.

There is another Poll between Mackinnon/Matthews/Eichel and it's not even close when 80+% support Mackinnon. This is not a bias, but the overwhelming fan majority.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Eichel will never reach MacKinnon's current level. Reading this thread you'd think MacKinnon was 5 years older than Eichel or something, he's literally one year older. At Eichel's current age, MacKinnon put up 97 points in 74 games and was runner up to league MVP. MacKinnon carried Colorado to the playoffs, the only thing Eichel carried Buffalo to is the draft lottery.

Makar is being underrated here, he looked more impressive in the 10 games in the playoffs than Dahlin did in the regular season, a small sample size but would not be surprised to see him continue in the regular season this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Makar have a better career than Dahlin, he draws comparison to Karlsson afterall.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eichel will never reach MacKinnon's current level. Reading this thread you'd think MacKinnon was 5 years older than Eichel or something, he's literally one year older. At Eichel's current age, MacKinnon put up 97 points in 74 games and was runner up to league MVP. MacKinnon carried Colorado to the playoffs, the only thing Eichel carried Buffalo to is the draft lottery.

Makar is being underrated here, he looked more impressive in the 10 games in the playoffs than Dahlin did in the regular season, a small sample size but would not be surprised to see him continue in the regular season this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Makar have a better career than Dahlin, he draws comparison to Karlsson afterall.

No he didn't :laugh:

I still remember the s*** all of you gave me about Makar two years ago, so you can save the 'you're just an avs hater' spiel that's become so popular amongst the bandwagon fans we're picking up...as the bolded simply isn't true no matter what you want to say about me. Dahlin is far more likely to surpass MacK than Makar is to match Dahlin...he draws comparisons to Lidstrom afterall...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Except the age gap does matter when MacKinnon has been on his current level for only 2 years. Mack broke out at the age Eichel was last year, but he also was in his 5th year, which Eichel has yet to play. Who knows if Eichel will get there, but he's had a better first 4 seasons, and has similarly elite physical tools. He also paced for just 12 fewer points last year. There's obviously less risk taking Mack's proven abilities, but it's a little absurd to rule out Eichel reaching that level.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wasn't easy for me to choose, but I'm going with Colorado duo because Nathan Mackinnon is the 2nd best player in the world right now.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Nathan MacKinnon tips the scale in this one.
Jack Eichel is a good hockey player but MacKinnon is one of the best players in the NHL.
Makar & Dahlin are pretty close, Dahlin obviously better, but not enough to change the result

Nathan MacKinnon & Cale Makar for me.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Sakic is maxing his car out driving MacK and Makar to the airport if Botts offered him Dahlin and Eichel in a trade for the two of them.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Sakic is maxing his car out driving MacK and Makar to the airport if Botts offered him Dahlin and Eichel in a trade for the two of them.
Laughable.

Makar and Dahlin just starting out so don't know how people can be so sure one is and will be that much better than the other. Time will tell and judgment should be based more on team success than just stats. Let's see what happens over next few years. My money is on Colorado having way more success than Buffalo in regular season and playoffs.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Love me some JackAttack!

I think Dahlin can be to Makar what MacKinnon is to Eichel.

Dahlin will likely be a tier above Makar as is the case with Mack and Eichel currently.

So it depends if you'd rather have the elite top 3 superstar center or defenceman.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Nathan MacKinnon tips the scale in this one.
Jack Eichel is a good hockey player but MacKinnon is one of the best players in the NHL.
Makar & Dahlin are pretty close, Dahlin obviously better, but not enough to change the result

Nathan MacKinnon & Cale Makar for me.

Swap every instance of MacKinnon with Dahlin, and Makar with Eichel.

Dahlin might have to wait a year to fit that criteria but he'll get there.

Laughable.

Makar and Dahlin just starting out so don't know how people can be so sure one is and will be that much better than the other. Time will tell and judgment should be based more on team success than just stats. Let's see what happens over next few years. My money is on Colorado having way more success than Buffalo in regular season and playoffs.

He just scored the second most points for an 18 year old defenseman ever, so there is that. Did it on the Sabres too.

He is going to turn even more heads this season with an improving team and hopefully a better coach. Eichel should do better as well.

While I do have the Aves as one of the best up and coming teams along with the Sabres, I think Buffalo will be a touch better. Definitely wouldn't say Colorado will have way more success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad