Nathan MacKinnon and Cale Makar Vs Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin going forward?

Which tandem do you choose for the future?

• Total voters

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If we are talking players proving themselves, Eichel and Dahlin have to prove that when they make the playoffs they can be playoff performers like MacKinnon, and for small sample size Makar who played just 10 playoff games and had 6 points, that's a 50 point pace in regular season, and MacKinnon has played in 3 playoffs and been a PPG player in all of them

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Makar's got a lot to prove for him to rival Dahlin. MacKinnon gets to play with Rantanen. I think this is Sabres.

I think Makar had a fairly good year as well.

- WJC (won Gold) and Co-All Star with Dahlin, but outscored him with less TOI;
- NCAA College that never won a playoff game to the NCAA Final + Hobey Baker Winner;
- 96 Hours After College, joined the AVs in the playoffs - 6 pts @ 10 games avg. nearly 20 mins TOI.

This is not stating Makar being a better player, but nearly finished with a perfect season and has played extremely well in high pressure situations

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Makar's got a lot to prove for him to rival Dahlin. MacKinnon gets to play with Rantanen. I think this is Sabres.
I agree that it goes to the Sabers duo, but in 3 hours of 5v5 ice time without Mac Rantanen has only had 2 points. I think Rantanen having Mac does more for Rant's value. But it does bring to how great Mac is, improving his linemates.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
"paced for just 12 fewer points" is an interesting phrase...
Guess being glued to Mikko and Landeskog must be so hard....Eichel could definitely produce as much points with stable linemates that are elite on both wings too if he were given them. Let's see if Mack would put up the same point total when he has to play with Pominville for a portion of the season and for a good time Reinhart didn't even play on Eichel's line so its normally just him and Skinner for most of the year and Skinner isn't better than either of Mack's wingers so....

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Guess being glued to Mikko and Landeskog must be so hard....Eichel could definitely produce as much points with stable linemates that are elite on both wings too if he were given them. Let's see if Mack would put up the same point total when he has to play with Pominville for a portion of the season and for a good time Reinhart didn't even play on Eichel's line so its normally just him and Skinner for most of the year and Skinner isn't better than either of Mack's wingers so....

This excuse would hold more water if MacK didn't maintain his production when Mikko was injured/played on his own line...but I'm sure if Eichel was only given enough help he could catch up to MacK.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
This excuse would hold more water if MacK didn't maintain his production when Mikko was injured/played on his own line...but I'm sure if Eichel was only given enough help he could catch up to MacK.
He only missed 8 games....is that supposed to be a joke? Even with less games played both of his linemates are in the top 40 in scoring...having them for 60 games would be an improvement over what the Sabres give Eichel on his line and like I said before he played with POMINVILLE for a quarter of the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He only missed 8 games....is that supposed to be a joke? Even with less games played both of his linemates are in the top 40 in scoring...having them for 60 games would be an improvement over what the Sabres give Eichel on his line and like I said before he played with POMINVILLE for a quarter of the season.

the point ------

your head ------

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
MacKinnon
Dahlin
Eichel
Makar

Give me the Sabres duo. Only players I see potentially shifting there are Dahlin overtaking Mack, but he's got a ways to go.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no clue how this is close. Its probably because some people overrate MacKinnon. There’s no real separation between him and Eichel. The main difference is his team stacks their first line and scores more goals.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
tbf to him there are people that consider him better or on a similar tier to Crosby. Most people don't though

At the moment he is.

McDavid is the clear cut #1, and then it's between Sid or Nate for #2.

Mackinnon is sick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crosby just put up the finest full season of his career. MacKinnon might be sick but he has a long way to go.

Sid is still great, but when MacK has shared the ice with McDavid you could always tell that McDavid was on an even higher level. That isn't what has happened when MacK n Sid have gone at it...even when Sid has gotten the better of the matchup. We're all welcome to have our own opinions, but I don't think that there is a convincing case to be made arguing that Nate isn't at least in Crosby's tier based off of what Nate has shown the past two years.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Good poll! I take Eichel and Dahlin. Bright future out west there in Buffalo. Making NY state proud (for once :P)

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Sure, but it's not like MacKinnon came in lacking the physical tools or was a late bloomer prospect. They're both high picks with similar situations to start their careers, including terrible teams for part of it. Eichel might not get there, but his physical tools are there to be a similar player and he was only 17 points back in 5 fewer games last year. Seems odd to project Makar's raw abilities so highly as opposed to Eichel's when Makar's shown less compared to Dahlin than Eichel has compared to Mack

MacKinnon's game is built on being the strongest and most explosive player on the ice. That's where his entire edge comes from.

Without it, he looks like he did his first few years in the NHL as well as at the WJC as a 17 year old.

It should be no surprise he could only breakout at the NHL level once he developed the strength to, once again, dominate his competition as a sheer physical freak of nature. In that sense, he is a late bloomer.

Almost every other player who dominates junior aged competition because of their physical traits fails to reach their perceived potential in the NHL. MacKinnon's an anomaly.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
This thread is at least a year to soon. Makar hasn't done anything in the NHL yet.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
At the moment he is.

McDavid is the clear cut #1, and then it's between Sid or Nate for #2.

Mackinnon is sick.
Crosby doesn't even play with that great of players on his line and still had more points in less games last year...sure he plays with a better PP unit but that can only help a minor amount. Penguins distribute their talent up and down the lineup yet Crosby is always up there in production I think he's clearly #2 though this could be the year he falls off a bit. Edit: after checking its actually Mack that has more of his points from the PP than Crosby

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I was just imagining what an amazing core this would be if they played together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad