Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is the GOAT HF post btw
CF178132-AB17-4002-91F3-0833AED89297.jpeg

Reactions: Murzu and klozge

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Consider MacKinnon with his contract and stated attitude about taking a discount on his next contract so that he can win with this group of guys. Consequently, shouldn't it be easier for Sakic to assemble and field a contending team than say, if he had to pay a max value contract to MacDavid? So no, I wouldn't trade MacKinnon for MacDavid and I know McDavid is as good as it gets.

For MacDavid supporters, go to the Oilers board and ask them if they would do a straight up trade. I'm guessing no. Then ask them if they'd rather have the Oilers contract situation and outlook with MacDavid or the Avs' contract and outlook situation with MacKinnon.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Consider MacKinnon with his contract and stated attitude about taking a discount on his next contract so that he can win with this group of guys. Consequently, shouldn't it be easier for Sakic to assemble and field a contending team than say, if he had to pay a max value contract to MacDavid? So no, I wouldn't trade MacKinnon for MacDavid and I know McDavid is as good as it gets.

For MacDavid supporters, go to the Oilers board and ask them if they would do a straight up trade. I'm guessing no. Then ask them if they'd rather have the Oilers contract situation and outlook with MacDavid or the Avs' contract and outlook situation with MacKinnon.
I made a thread like that once. I wouldn’t suggest it, too many people in this fan base and others can’t handle that kind of direct confrontation.

Reactions: flyfysher

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I can say it in a completely joking manner now - and I understand many of the comments in it at the time but....

Nathan Mackinnon expectations

This thread aged well :laugh:

Always tough to say why top young players are stagnating. Obvious answer is the Avs as a whole have been so terrible the last two seasons that he hasn't exactly been given the best chance to succeed, but he has the tools and the talent to be a top player in the NHL regardless. This upcoming season is very much make or break.

No regrets :)

Reactions: AegonLeConqueror

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I made a thread like that once. I wouldn’t suggest it, too many people in this fan base and others can’t handle that kind of direct confrontation.

We both have our favorites and I get that. But ask any hockey fan (not an Oilers homer) which contract situation and outlook they would rather have and it becomes clear. We've been discussing building a contender. It's more than just your elite players.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
I would guess a discount is more just a very reasonable contract, because he'll have a lot of leverage. I think Landeskog will also re-sign to a pretty team-firendly deal, seems like the type of guy.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
We both have our favorites and I get that. But ask any hockey fan (not an Oilers homer) which contract situation and outlook they would rather have and it becomes clear. We've been discussing building a contender. It's more than just your elite players.
Well Canucks fans overwhelmingly derailed my Makar thread and I told them I would ask their board which of the two D they would take given the choice and it had some discussion but mostly the same Canucks fans doing what they do. I even had a couple of Avs fans apologizing for the thread which made me super embarrassed for them.

I think it is a fair question to pose, but I don’t think it will go over well. I also agree with your premise, Colorado is built as a contender and Edmonton is built to win individual trophies. Most fans will take the winner over the pretender. I predicted over and over that McDavid won’t win a cup in Edmonton. He might win a cup, but it won’t be in Edmonton.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When people talk about Mackinnon's struggling years, they always forget how much of a mess the team was at the time and the fact that he was stuck behind Duchene.

He didn't learn to play hockey the day Duchene was traded.

Reactions: klozge

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I even had a couple of Avs fans apologizing for the thread which made me super embarrassed for them.
Don't worry, you embarrassed me too.

It's not even that you should never do what you did. It's that you had just completely awful timing and weren't diplomatic at all. The question was fair. The way you asked it was obtuse as hell.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
No regrets :)

No regrets, that’s my motto.

43b5483e-2b24-4361-9e45-099469e1a5e5_text.gif

What a dark time the 2016-17 season was *shudder*. I remember listening to the final game of the season against St Louis while driving home from Chicago, because, I had a 4 hour drive to fill, & it was the last Avs game of the season. :dunno:

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Don't worry, you embarrassed me too.

It's not even that you should never do what you did. It's that you had just completely awful timing and weren't diplomatic at all. The question was fair. The way you asked it was obtuse as hell.
In your opinion.

The way I asked it, "Would you trade Hughes straight up for Makar if you were Canucks GM"?

How is that obtuse? What was the timing issue? How diplomatic were the same Canucks fans in that thread from my Makar thread? In fact, if memory serves you were the one that made that thread what it was because the first several responses were mainly just a discussion until you showed up apologizing for no reason.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I f***ing love MacKinnon.

He's in it for us, too. And plays more physical, which I like (could argue this translates to his playoff dominance...). I take him over McDavid, the extra 15-20 points means nothing to me, compared to what we have right now... and there's always going to be speculation around McDavid wanting out of Edmonton as long as they're mediocre behind him.

Yeah, gimme some Nate any day. Those comments make me want to cry with joy... god I'm so pumped just thinking about it. Seriously, he could easily be (is) our next savior (Joe 2.0).

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
How is that obtuse? What was the timing issue? How diplomatic were the same Canucks fans in that thread from my Makar thread? In fact, if memory serves you were the one that made that thread what it was because the first several responses were mainly just a discussion until you showed up apologizing for no reason.
The fact that you still can't tell, even in retrospect, that it was completely tactless is unsurprising. Do I really need to explain how the timing was poor on that one? You started it at the peak of the pissing match in the main board thread. A pissing match that you were consistently involving yourself in.

The main board is the main board and it is no surprise that your Makar thread was overrun with childish behavior (some of it from you, let's be honest). Team subforums have different rules and, honestly, a code of conduct. I.E. that you do not go onto the oppositions board and start crap with them.

Reactions: McMetal

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
The fact that you still can't tell, even in retrospect, that it was completely tactless is unsurprising. Do I really need to explain how the timing was poor on that one? You started it at the peak of the pissing match in the main board thread. A pissing match that you were consistently involving yourself in.

The main board is the main board and it is no surprise that your Makar thread was overrun with childish behavior (some of it from you, let's be honest). Team subforums have different rules and, honestly, a code of conduct. I.E. that you do not go onto the oppositions board and start crap with them.
So, originally it was my "timing" and I wasn't "diplomatic" but now it is the "rules" and "code of conduct"? Consistency, the ability to be asserted together without contradiction.

Not all of the fans on that board took exception. You and 4-5 Canucks fans that were hypersensitive from the other thread did. Try not to be overly sensitive or ignore me if that makes it easier. I couldn't care less which road you take, but please take one.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
So, originally it was my "timing" and I wasn't "diplomatic" but now it is the "rules" and "code of conduct"? Consistency, the ability to be asserted together without contradiction.

Not all of the fans on that board took exception. You and 4-5 Canucks fans that were hypersensitive from the other thread did. Try not to be overly sensitive or ignore me if that makes it easier. I couldn't care less which road you take, but please take one.
Ok here's my road: it was a troll thread, you were trolling and you knew it.

Not being sensitive, you brought it up in this thread unprovoked. I disagree with your approach and that's all. No hard feelings.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
The fact that you still can't tell, even in retrospect, that it was completely tactless is unsurprising
You are being overly sensitive.
Do I really need to explain how the timing was poor on that one?
Yes, I thought the timing was apt.
You started it at the peak of the pissing match in the main board thread. A pissing match that you were consistently involving yourself in
And you were part of that "pissing match" as well.
it is no surprise that your Makar thread was overrun with childish behavior (some of it from you, let's be honest)
Sure. I'll take some heat there. Your hands aren't clean in that thread either.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You are being overly sensitive.

Yes, I thought the timing was apt.

And you were part of that "pissing match" as well.

Sure. I'll take some heat there. Your hands aren't clean in that thread either.
Absolutely I was involved and I've since decided to try to take the high road on that one. But that's a main board thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad