Nathan MacKinnon 2019/20

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mackinnon is an Av through and through. He has a higher compete level than McDavid, and is a beast in the playoffs. The extra 15 points McDavid might score isn’t worth losing Mackinnon.

when you look at contracts, it’s also a no-brainer. You don’t trade Nathan Mackinnon for 15 more points at 2x the price. I know Mack is going to get paid big time on his next contract, but what do you think McDavid will get? He’s already at 12.5!

Mack>McDavid all day, every day.

I'm sorry but that's a laughable take. McDavid is on pace for 150 pts on a team with 0 depth. He's the biggest game breaker in the league by a good margin and even at twice the price is worth having over Mack.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm sorry but that's a laughable take. McDavid is on pace for 150 pts on a team with 0 depth. He's the biggest game breaker in the league by a good margin and even at twice the price is worth having over Mack.
It’s a “laughable” take? Do you have any idea how many people share my opinion? This is debated all the time. Mack is the correct choice when you consider all aspects.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It’s a “laughable” take? Do you have any idea how many people share my opinion? This is debated all the time. Mack is the correct choice when you consider all aspects.

I'd like to see all these other people who think that. Mack is great, McDavid is even better.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Technically Mack is behind his pace through November 30th of last year.

1.58 PPG through 26 games last year, 1.56 PPG through 25 games this year. So.... Mack just has to go get 3 points again tonight :laugh:

What a freak of nature Mikko was last year through November. 43 points in his first 26 games.

MacK: Hold my beer

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, I think MacKinnon's playoff mode puts him above McDavid. As far as raw talent goes, McDavid clearly has the upper hand, but head to head in a playoff series I take MacKinnon all day. And that's when the real hockey is played. Connor may have only made the big show once, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire when he did.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I noticed he drives through the middle a lot more often this year. Previously he tended to attack the zone more through the wings. Now he just goes straight at the defense and forces them to respond.

Reactions: 21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As of right now MacK over McD.

The contract combined with playoffs makes it an easy choice. You get to have a Kadri, or Landeskog, or Donskore because of it. Which easily puts it over the top.

MacK also hasn't even had a Leon this year to help him. You got him blowing the doors off with Bura and Calvert as his wingers.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The main argument Mackinnon has over Mcdavid is contract, which is really just a function of timing. Yeah Mcdavid has Leon, but he's also had to play his career on the perennially inept Oilers, who make even the dark days of the Avs front office seem optimistic. Realistically if you keep everything else constant and have a chance to pick one of these two centers for the long haul, I think its pretty hard to argue against Connor. I only mention this because I don't feel like promoting Mackinnon requires trying to take away from other great players. When we had Sakic/Forsberg, I didn't feel the need to argue that they were better than Jagr/Lemieux/etc overall even though there were some years where they were the best or 2nd/3rd best. I think comparing Mack to Mcdavid is similar to comparing one of those guys to Jagr. Mackinnon is a superstar and top 5 player, he makes the team fun to watch again, and that's more than enough for me.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
McDavid, MacKinnon and Kane Named NHL ‘Three Stars’ for November

NovStars-01124113.png

SECOND STAR – NATHAN MacKINNON, C, COLORADO AVALANCHE

MacKinnon ranked second in the NHL with 10-15—25 in 14 games to propel the Avalanche (16-8-2, 34 points) to an 8-6-0 November despite the team missing two of its top producers from last season (Mikko Rantanen and Gabriel Landeskog) for almost the entire month. MacKinnon collected points in 10 of his 14 contests, led by a trio of four-point outings: Nov. 7 vs. NSH (1-3—4), Nov. 12 at WPG (2-2—4) and Nov. 29 at CHI (1-3—4). He also scored in eight different games, highlighted by his eighth career overtime goal Nov. 16 at VAN (2-1—3). MacKinnon – who topped the League with 79 shots on goal in November – closed the month on a seven-game point streak, compiling 6-10—16 during that stretch (Nov. 16-30). The 24-year-old Halifax, N.S., native sits fourth in the NHL with 17-25—42 through 26 total appearances this season. His 25 November points were the most by any Avalanche player in a single calendar month since March 2000 (Joe Sakic: 15-11—26 in 13 GP).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nate is showing a lot of leadership with his comment regarding his next contract. Good timing too with all the new contracts coming up the next few years.

Reactions: Avs91 and flyfysher

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

I'll believe it when I see it, but that's really good to hear. Crosby went off on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast about taking less money, sounds like MacKinnon has influential friends. Toronto players on the other hand...

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Guys, how blessed are we to watch a talent like Nate on a nightly basis? I'm absolutely over the moon about this team right now. Makar, MacKinnon, Rantanen.... the list goes on

Enjoy it, I've been waiting a long time to see a team like this.
And to be allowed to see it come together over the years... we're lucky

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2