Waived: Nathan Gerbe (regular NOT compliance buyout, Canes 2-way deal)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
SIgned him to a 3 year deal, and bought him out. Not really much more to it. I think that would be called a failure. Now the guy is probably out the NHL.

Gerbe and his contract are pretty inconsequential. It not working out is pretty far down on the list of things worth caring about, and it's not like Regier is the only guy who's bought out a mediocre player on a multi-year deal.

That's of course aside from the fact that Regier doesn't have a crystal ball to tell him when a guy's going to have his career derailed by an injury due to a cheap shot

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Gerbe and his contract are pretty inconsequential. It not working out is pretty far down on the list of things worth caring about, and it's not like Regier is the only guy who's bought out a mediocre player on a multi-year deal.

That's of course aside from the fact that Regier doesn't have a crystal ball to tell him when a guy's going to have his career derailed by an injury due to a cheap shot

What has Regier done wrong. Am I right?

I am waiting to applaud Regier for something he has done the last 3 years. There are some things we can say could be great moves, but nothing we can actually say is a great move.

I just add Gerbe to his list of bad moves. Hopefully there is a list of good moves in the Pegula era coming. I would say most of his Pegula era moves are to be determined. Fingers are crossed.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I am waiting to applaud Regier for something he has done the last 3 years. There are some things we can say could be great moves, but nothing we can actually say is a great move.

I just add Gerbe to his list of bad moves. Hopefully there is a list of good moves in the Pegula era coming. I would say most of his Pegula era moves are to be determined. Fingers are crossed.

At this point in time, based on everything we've seen to this point, I really do not think these trades can be argued based on the circumstances (rebuild, expiring contracts):

Gaustad for 1st (Girgensons) = Great move
Kassian for Hodgson = Great move
Pominville for Larsson, Hackett, 1st (Zadorov) = Great move

I'd argue that Darcy has been one of the best trading GM's in the NHL over the last 3 years. He's really gotten absolute full value for his expiring assets as of late IMO.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
:rolleyes: Oh please. Regier's made mistakes. But Nathan Gerbe of all people is pretty much not worth caring about at all.

I'm sorry but this is so completely ridiculously dishonest and disingenuous that I can't take it the least bit seriously

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At this point in time, based on everything we've seen to this point, I really do not think these trades can be argued based on the circumstances (rebuild, expiring contracts):

I'd argue that Darcy has been one of the best trading GM's in the NHL over the last 3 years. He's really gotten absolute full value for his expiring assets as of late IMO.

My problem with Regier is that while you can break down his trades and most will look great, he hasn't built a roster that wins.

It's like a chef getting great deals on the best ingredients and the dinner tastes horrible when it is put together.

Who cares if Regier wins every trade if the team struggles to even make the playoffs, let alone really compete for the Cup?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Darcy has been one of the best trading GM's over the last 15 years according to Sabre fans. We always say that stuff. At some point it will turn the Sabres into a consistent winner, I am sure.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
My problem with Regier is that while you can break down his trades and most will look great, he hasn't built a roster that wins.

yes, lets purposely ignore the time he DID build a contender, and that the ownership at the time put rules and practices (contracts, term, negotiations) in place that led to it's dismantling.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia

It's like a chef getting great deals on the best ingredients and the dinner tastes horrible when it is put together.

Who cares if Regier wins every trade if the team struggles to even make the playoffs, let alone really compete for the Cup?

I believe the initial comment was referencing Regiers last 3 years of activity. Throw away the **** that happened before that and focus on the young pool of talent that he's assembled most recently. If these kids flop - then we can finally lay this argument to rest and all agree that Regier needs to go, but give this some time here. We have one of the best prospect pools in the league - let's stop whining about Regier still having a job and start being excited about the recent moves he's made for the future.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
yes, lets purposely ignore the time he DID build a contender, and that the ownership at the time put rules and practices (contracts, term, negotiations) in place that led to it's dismantling.

Exactly...People live in the short term far to much. You know where Chicago and Pittsburgh were 6-7 years ago? Pittsburgh was in danger of losing there team, had no arena to play in, etc....Chicago games weren't even being shown on local TV. They were giving away tickets to the Hawks games because no one wanted to go...Same with Pittsburgh.

No one has continued success for years and years aside from the Red Wings, even though they are an anomaly and got extremely lucky with late round studs. Darcy has already built a contender from 05-07, we also went to the cup in 1999, and won the division in 2010. We go through our ups and downs just like any other team. It's just extremely hard to go through complete rebuilds like the one we are in the process of. But we will get through it just like any other team, yet stick with our team unlike many others and hopefully reap big rewards! :)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

One day I hope to look back at that era and say if only Pegula was around then, maybe we are talking about a dynasty right now.

But the Pegula era has not gone very smooth. There was a decent team here when Pegula got here, not a contender but a team missing some parts. Regier failed miserably trying to get that team over the hump. Probably the biggest issue was poor drafting from about 2004-2007.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005

I agree with this. He's iced a team with obvious holes down the middle for a couple of a years in a row, counting on wingers and rookies to get the job done. They lost 15 games by 1 goal last year, 9 in regulation. I feel like they were one checking center away from a playoff spot.

Can he make great trades? Absolutely. Can he recognize a problem and make a small adjustment before the season is in the toilet? Not that I can recall.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
One day I hope to look back at that era and say if only Pegula was around then, maybe we are talking about a dynasty right now.

But the Pegula era has not gone very smooth. There was a decent team here when Pegula got here, not a contender but a team missing some parts. Regier failed miserably trying to get that team over the hump.

Or, perhaps, there was a bleh team that went on a run and snuck into the playoffs where they put together a good series (until they blew it) which the led management to think they had a better team than they actually did, and then the team fell apart after that because they weren't actually that good, despite the additions that were made to the team that offseason. Then, when it turned out the team wasn't that good, they started rebuilding

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Some fans focus WAY too much on Regier and assign credit/blame mostly to him. Ownership is what makes a team a legit contender on a regular or long-term basis. I think some-to-many Sabres fans have no idea the upward projection this franchise is about to be on.

-The organization's financial future is now stable.
-The team facilities are top-notch.
-The scouting dept is now fully stocked with as much personnel and resources as they need or will ever require.
-Any possible tactic allowable under the CBA will be available to make the team better.

Reputation and plain old facts about WNY will be the only disadvantage in attracting UFAs in the future, but Regier will be able to manage the team in ways he just hasn't been allowed to do before, supplemented by a more reliable draft evaluation than ever before. Even if Regier was a horrible GM, short of trading players like Crosby for 7th rd picks, this organization's future is going to improve.

I'd say Kevin Devine almost has as much influence over the next few years as Regier.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Some fans focus WAY too much on Regier and assign credit/blame mostly to him. Ownership is what makes a team a legit contender on a regular or long-term basis. I think some-to-many Sabres fans have no idea the upward projection this franchise is about to be on.

agreed

-The organization's financial future is now stable.
-The team facilities are top-notch.
-The scouting dept is now fully stocked with as much personnel and resources as they need or will ever require.
-Any possible tactic allowable under the CBA will be available to make the team better.

yup

Reputation and plain old facts about WNY will be the only disadvantage in attracting UFAs in the future, but Regier will be able to manage the team in ways he just hasn't been allowed to do before, supplemented by a more reliable draft evaluation than ever before. Even if Regier was a horrible GM, short of trading players like Crosby for 7th rd picks, this organization's future is going to improve.

I'd say Kevin Devine almost has as much influence over the next few years as Regier.

devine is building the ship, regier has chosen a destination and is setting the ship on it's course, it will be up to the coaching staff and players to sail the ship and get to the destination. if the ship runs off course, it will be up to Regier to make the necessary changes to get it back on course...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

But the Pegula era has not gone very smooth. There was a decent team here when Pegula got here, not a contender but a team missing some parts. Regier failed miserably trying to get that team over the hump. Probably the biggest issue was poor drafting from about 2004-2007.

i call ********. or at least a mischaracterization of the truth.

there was a team decent enough to have made the playoffs once in 4 years before Pegula got here. That team had MAJOR flaws

i've said this a million times, but the timing of the Pegula purchase set the franchise back a few years. The "feel good" run to the playoffs that year gave a ton of false belief in the horrendously flawed Rochester Core. And that false belief led to "adding", instead of rebuilding.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
i call ********. or at least a mischaracterization of the truth.

there was a team decent enough to have made the playoffs once in 4 years before Pegula got here. That team had MAJOR flaws

i've said this a million times, but the timing of the Pegula purchase set the franchise back a few years. The "feel good" run to the playoffs that year gave a ton of false belief in the horrendously flawed Rochester Core. And that false belief led to "adding", instead of rebuilding.

The core needed a shakeup. Derek Roy was the guy Regier just couldnt trade, but needed to. Kept him a couple years too long.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The core needed a shakeup. Derek Roy was the guy Regier just couldnt trade, but needed to. Kept him a couple years too long.
A few years too long? Regier should have traded him when he was a PPG on a great contract? Regier obviously should have known about the injuries that Roy would suffer years ago! You have some great hindsight thought process going on there. Maybe Pegula bucks can buy a pocket Hannibal Lecter that will smell when players will decline years in advance.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
A few years too long? Regier should have traded him when he was a PPG on a great contract? Regier obviously should have known about the injuries that Roy would suffer years ago! You have some great hindsight thought process going on there. Maybe Pegula bucks can buy a pocket Hannibal Lecter that will smell when players will decline years in advance.

No. After the 1st round exit in playoffs. They were a #2 seed and lost to #7 seed Bruins. The core needed a shake up. They all came back another year. Vanek, Roy, Connolly, STafford, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville, and Miller all returned the next year. They struggled, but turned it up later to make the playoffs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No. After the 1st round exit in playoffs. They were a #2 seed and lost to #7 seed Bruins. The core needed a shake up. They all came back another year. Vanek, Roy, Connolly, STafford, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville, and Miller all returned the next year. They struggled, but turned it up later to make the playoffs.

Yeah, it was really terrible that they brought back Stafford to score 31 goals the following season. But for Stafford, that team doesn't make the playoffs.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No. After the 1st round exit in playoffs. The core needed a shake up. They all came back another year. Vanek, Roy, Connolly, STafford, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville, and Miller all returned the next year. They struggled, but turned it up later to make the playoffs.
I think Regier gets a little too much slack in regards to the Golisano and Quinn era but re-signing Tim Connolly at the trade deadline is 100% a Quinn move. He should have been the guy to go after his 27th major injury but Regier was on a mandate to make the playoffs at all costs and there was no centers on the market either through trade or free agency.

You don't seem to understand this so I will walk you through it. Even after the co-captains left the Sabres still had a decent enough team to squeak into the playoffs or come close. All Golisano cared about at this point was making playoff revenue as it was known for a while he would be re-selling the team. There was no way in hell that Regier was going to be allowed to trade away the teams top 2 centers who were both on fairly cheap contracts.

Roy had a great first half of the season before getting injured the year Pegula took over. The next season he struggled all year until the last few months when he was put a line that matched up with his strengths. Regier then traded him that off season for a return that many "experts" at the time felt was too low. That was literally the first chance Regier had to trade Roy and he did it. He couldn't trade him when Golisano was owner and there was very little reason to trade him coming off a PPG half season with a new owner coming in.

He has dismantled the core piece by piece leading up to Vanek and Miller's departure sometime in the next half year. This is the first chance he has had at doing something like this and he's gone through. I'm not sure what more you want.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think Regier gets a little too much slack in regards to the Golisano and Quinn era but re-signing Tim Connolly at the trade deadline is 100% a Quinn move. He should have been the guy to go after his 27th major injury but Regier was on a mandate to make the playoffs at all costs and there was no centers on the market either through trade or free agency.

You don't seem to understand this so I will walk you through it. Even after the co-captains left the Sabres still had a decent enough team to squeak into the playoffs or come close. All Golisano cared about at this point was making playoff revenue as it was known for a while he would be re-selling the team. There was no way in hell that Regier was going to be allowed to trade away the teams top 2 centers who were both on fairly cheap contracts.

Roy had a great first half of the season before getting injured the year Pegula took over. The next season he struggled all year until the last few months when he was put a line that matched up with his strengths. Regier then traded him that off season for a return that many "experts" at the time felt was too low. That was literally the first chance Regier had to trade Roy and he did it. He couldn't trade him when Golisano was owner and there was very little reason to trade him coming off a PPG half season with a new owner coming in.

He has dismantled the core piece by piece leading up to Vanek and Miller's departure sometime in the next half year. This is the first chance he has had at doing something like this and he's gone through. I'm not sure what more you want.
I dont really understand the money angle under Golisano. I thought Golisano did spend a decent amount. It wasnt Pegula money, but he did spend what I felt he should have spent in most years.

Players were getting paid. I mean hecht got $3.5 million, Gaustad $2.3 million. Miller and Poms got paid.

Are you trying to tell me Regier didnt have control over who was on his roster? To say Golisano and QUinn forced Regier to spend $4.5 million on Connolly so the Sabres would make him playoff revenue makes very little sense to me.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I dont really understand the money angle under Golisano. I thought Golisano did spend a decent amount. It wasnt Pegula money, but he did spend what I felt he should have spent in most years.

Players were getting paid. I mean hecht got $3.5 million, Gaustad $2.3 million. Miller and Poms got paid.

Are you trying to tell me Regier didnt have control over who was on his roster? To say Golisano and QUinn forced Regier to spend $4.5 million on Connolly so the Sabres would make him playoff revenue makes very little sense to me.

Under Golisano, the Sabres were regularly in the top half of the league in spending, usually within $5M of the cap.

Golisano's ownership regime wasn't cheap. Meddling? Sure.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It wasn't that Golisano didn't spend it was his mandates that screwed the team. The not negotiating within a season, the requirement to make the playoffs which forced Regier to hold onto assets ala Satan, Zhitnik that should have been moved vice being allowed to walk, the salary in / salary out requirement so Regier couldn't upgrade the roster by moving a young piece for a better more expensive player.

Under Golisano / Quinn you wouldn't have seen the Gaustad, Leopold, Regehr, Pominville trades while there was an iota of a chance to get to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad