Player Discussion Nate Thompson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Has absolute stone hands, but a good work ethic. He's strong along the boards, pays attention at both ends and doesn't try to do too much, which is probably for the best. Good on faceoffs and has been a beast on the pk for us. In fact, he's played beastly for more than a week now.

Kind of 4th line center we needed. Drouin should not be playing with him though. Switch Lehk and Drouin.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Has absolute stone hands, but a good work ethic. He's strong along the boards, pays attention at both ends and doesn't try to do too much, which is probably for the best. Good on faceoffs and has been a beast on the pk for us. In fact, he's played beastly for more than a week now.

Kind of 4th line center we needed. Drouin should not be playing with him though. Switch Lehk and Drouin.
#0Finition

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Typical mindless fans blaming the grinders while Kotkaniemi has been absolutely awful for weeks now. Kotkaniemi and Drouin are our worst players right now and it isn't close. I love the kid and think he will be very good but right n4ow he is plain awful.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Typical mindless fans blaming the grinders while Kotkaniemi has been absolutely awful for weeks now. Kotkaniemi and Drouin are our worst players right now and it isn't close. I love the kid and think he will be very good but right now he is plain awful.
I feel the same. I am a great Kotkaniemi fan and love the kid... but man, he has not been producing lately.
I think he's just "stuck". I'm a little worried he won't become the PPG 1st liner some expect. Galchenyuk has similar expectations and was more focused on the offensive. Still, once Kotkaniemi gets more strength, which he mentioned liking to play on the boards etc, I'm sure he'll be more effective. Anyway, he'll figure it out.
Meanwhile, Thompson can keep doing such a great job on the tasks given to him.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Nate has played very well and deserves the minutes. He has hands of stone but he's in the offensive zone creating turnovers. He's a responsible player and I'd perhaps like to see him back.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“It's tough, I thought guys really gave what they've... We had a tough stretches at the end but I thought when you finish with 96 pts most of the times you'll get into the PO... Unfortunately, with the division we're in and the conference it's pretty strong. You know it's tough to swallow but there's a lot of things that the guys can lean on and be proud of what we did. I think it's also a learning experience for us, in the same time for some of our young guys. It's a really good league and it's hard to make the PO and we learnt from it... We know next year we've to continue the same thing and even get better.”

“Head home for the offseason in California and just get ready for next year.”

“I'm not sure what's gonna happen but I really enjoyed my time here. It was a lot of fun, it's a group of guys, it was a great room. Coaching staff, the organization were first class to me and my wife... We'll see what happen.”

“I think I got a lot of hockey left to me. I feel pretty good. Like I said, this group kinda when I got here were rejuvenate me a little bit... Playing for this mid- fourteen games here, play in front of these fanbase and for this organization I really enjoyed it. I still feel I've a lot left in me...”

“Kinda sucks this time of the year you know, especially not making the PO but I get closer to some and a lot of the guys in this team. Hopefully, be back next year.”

“Not much I can comment on that part. From both sides, I think it was a good working relationship. They gave me a great oppurtunity to come here and do what I can do. I thought for the most part I did that... I really like where this team is heading in the direction we're going and I liked to be part of it...”

“With him (Clode) and Berg when I got here they talked to me, I knew what to expect. They knew what I can brought. I thought Clode was great, he really put me in a position. Overall, it was really a good experience for me and I had a lot of fun out here.”

“Obviously, you always wanna to play games that's my makeup I don't never wanna miss a game. But at the same time, I totally understand the coach and the managing decision. Ryan came in and needed to play. I was glad I didn't played because he had one of a heck of a game. So it was good, he'll have a night that he'll always remember...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I don't know if it's superstitious or just routine, maybe a little bit of both... I usually grab four pucks and throw two on one side and two on the other, just to keep it even. That way, it keeps everyone happy. The fans are a huge part of our game. Without them, we wouldn't be where we're at... I think it's also another way to grow the game. You give a puck to a kid, next thing you know he becomes pretty obsessed with hockey and next thing you know you might have another future NHLer on your hands. I know it happened with me... I think I'm a prime example. It's a really good thing to do and it can go a long way... At the end of the day, you put a smile on a kid's face.”

“It was the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves up there. I was at a game and one of the players threw me a puck and a stick and it really kind of stuck with me. It was one of those things where if I ever made it, I was going to do the same thing. I really try and make sure that I give it to the kids... I think if you're a kid and you get a puck during warmups at an NHL game, it's a pretty exciting thing.”

“Anytime I see messages like that from moms and dads, talking about their kids, it puts a smile on my face too... I'm just glad that I'm able to make the parents and the kids happy with whatever I can do. Whether it's throwing them a puck or squirting water at them, it's just about having fun with it. That's what it comes down to...”

“I've been in the League a little while now... But I feel like kind of a young guy today. It gave me goosebumps when I realized that I was going to be playing for them... When I was a lot younger, my dad was on a business trip with my mom and they went to Montreal. They went to a game at the old Forum. I remember them talking about it. How amazing it was going to a game at that time. I always remember that. Having the chance to play in Montreal, I just always thought: wow, it would be amazing to play for the Canadiens... I was as ready as I could be, I guess. I've been extremely lucky playing in warm climates for most of my career. But to get a chance to play for the Canadiens, cold weather isn't a big deal at all... It's just snow and it's all good. I've been very fortunate... I've played in some good places. I don't know if one really stands out. They're all pretty different. I'd have to say this one's right up there. Playing in an Original Six, a historic franchise like the Montreal Canadiens, it's been pretty cool...

“It was a lot of fun... It's a fast team for sure, I noticed that right away. It was just fun to get out with the guys. Whenever you get a chance to play for a franchise like here, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity... Not only that, but the year this team had. The way they're playing. Overall, I just thought it was a good opportunity for me.”

“ It was one of those things where they came to us and I told my agent: I just want to get this done... I want to go back to Montreal... I had no intention of going to free agency. This is the team I wanted to play on. I've been on the other side of and it's pretty amazing. But to be a Hab and do it was pretty special.”

“I felt while I was there that it was a good fit for me. I got to play my role in a great way... I was really just chomping at the bit to come back. It's one of those groups where it's not hard to jump in and to have fun with the guys right away. The core group that they have, the older guys, the younger guys. It's just one of those special groups that you just want to be a part of.”

“I'm just so excited to come back because of where our team is headed. Everyone on the team and you could feel it throughout the room that guys were disappointed. More importantly guys are mad, guys are angry. Guys already want to get going and already start the season now. Because you could feel the hunger from everyone, including myself. We want to get back to work. We want to have a big season and we want to build off of what we did last year. We want to continue to get better and make the PO...”

“My game is pretty simple... I'm one of those guys that just goes about his business in a subtle way. I try to bring energy to the team. I think I skate pretty well. I can help with faceoffs and penalty killing. Just chipping in with the odd goal here and there. For me, it's about trying to complement the team. I just want to get better. My expectation is to have the best year of my career... Whether it's statistically, helping the team get wins and then make the playoffs... That's my expectation... I've always had high expectations of myself and that's a reason why I think I'm still playing... Because I've always wanted to push myself to get better. I know everyone says I'm Uncle Nate and I'll be 35 in the fall. But I still feel like I've got a lot of hockey left in me and I can continue to get better...”

“When we had our last dinner in Montreal with all of the staff, coaches and family, Max and Tuna were talking about going to Coachella. That isn't too far from us. It's only a couple of hours away. Max and Tuna pretty much talked my wife and I into it and we made the decision to go. It was one of those spur of the moment things. We had a really good group with Max and a few of his buddies from back home, Tuna and his girlfriend, and Sydney and I. We played some backyard games and Tuna wanted to do this pushup pyramid thing. I said : you guys go ahead and I'll film it. To be honest, they didn't last very long. The pushup pyramid thing was kind of a bust. Being Uncle Nate, I kind of knew that was coming... So that's why I kind of backed off and filmed them instead.”

“It's great. I'll take it. All the guys were great. I think I'm the oldest guy on the team now. So guys like Max and Tuna are going around with the nicknames. Shawzy likes to give me a hard time about my age and tell me that I'm the papa. I'm good with it, tho.. As long as, I can keep playing... I know I can keep up with all of these young bucks. From the moment I got to Montreal, especially Max, I don't know what it was, we kind of hit it off. He's one of those kids, he's mature beyond his years. I always forget that he's just 24 years old when I hang out with him and we're talking. I think he has an extremely bright future and a long career ahead of him in this League. He's an ultimate pro. You can't say that about a lot of guys his age that are already ultimate pros like he is. Tuna, too. He's one of those fun-loving guys. We play cards together on the plane... He's one of those guys where it's kind of infectious. You want to be around him because he's always in a good mood and he's always laughing.”

“Being from Alaska, you root for whomever... I was a big Stevie Y fan when I was really young. I just loved the way they played. They were pretty successful after they had those off-years in the beginning. There were so many other players on the team like Kris Draper, Sergei Fedorov and those guys; I just loved watching them play.”

“Scott Gomez put Alaska on the map with everything he did in his career. Winning two Stanley Cups. When I was younger, he helped me out and taught me how to be a pro. We worked out together for a few summers up there. We still remain close. It was cool. It was one of those things where I'm never going to get a chance like that again to play at home. To play with other guys in the NHL, to play with Scott, it was one of those things I couldn't pass up. I'm really glad I did it. He texted me. He just started laughing. He said: enjoy, you're going to have a great time. That was pretty much it. We always text each other, we keep in touch. He was really excited for me.

“When I was in the minors and I had to find my niche here in the NHL, it was always those little things that I had to be good at. Winning faceoffs, killing penalties, playing strong defensively. Over the course of my career, I've tried to evolve and become better in other areas offensively... Making plays, working on my skating. Making sure I can still be fast out there. Just rounding out my game to be a complete player.”

“It’s one of those things if I didn’t change my life and didn’t change my lifestyle I wouldn’t be playing and I wouldn’t be where I’m at right now. I don’t know if I want to get into a low point… There were a lot of low points for me. I had a couple of surgeries, a couple of tough ones. I just wasn’t in a good place… I was doing bad things and abusing myself with substance… It was one of those things where you have to make changes because things are going to keep going downhill. I had to take a look in the mirror because I didn’t like who I saw in the mirror anymore… I had to make a change because either I was going to die or I was going to end up in jail. It was one of those things. It was alcohol among other things. But when it comes down to it, it was definitely the alcohol.”

“Knowing that you’re not alone … I think that’s the biggest thing. For me, I always thought no one’s going through what I’m going through, no one knows my story. But when you go and you get help, you talk to other people. Whether it’s at rehab or AA or whatever everyone’s got a story and everyone’s been in the same situation. Some people’s problems are different than others. But you’re not alone. It takes a lot of guts and a lot of courage... But I think it shows that you’re brave if you can ask for help. It’s definitely not something to frown upon because you’re definitely not alone. There’s always someone out there to help and support you.”

“She's been great. We went through this last year moving from Ottawa to LA,. So she was kind of like: alright, here we go. She was excited. She always used to joke around that she wanted to watch our team in Montreal and I said : well, now you've a pretty good chance. More importantly, she was extremely supportive and happy for me. She's huge. She tries to make home as easy as possible for me. Knowing that I've to prepare for games. That I've to take care of my body. That I need to get the proper rest and eat right. She kind of puts that all in place for me. I think also her overall thoughtfulness. She's always so selfless with everything. She's always taking care of everybody. That's always been her M.O. since I met her. She has always wanted to help everyone else out.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Not doubtful about his hockey passion... Doubtful if he's up to end up the next season with us. With the same level. Will he accept to be scratched? Like in anytime... To conclude, Oates been skating with Thompson.
Nate Thompson (10/06/2019) said:
“My training ground (BTF)? Everything is personalized to you and to how your body functions and what you need. It's just a smart way of working out... Not only that, you train there for the day and you've everything you need. Right after you're done working out, you can walk down the hallway, hop on the table and get some treatment. That's kind of the beauty of it... It's really nice to have... Training in California? There are a lot of good things about it, but just the overall lifestyle is great... There are many different things going on. It's a mecca as far as places in the USA for training... If you want to mix things up because you've been in the gym too much and you want to take a mental break, you can do beach workouts. Or sometimes a bunch of us will play beach volleyball on Saturdays. You can always get a good workout in. Our days are all mapped out. We're in the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday. That's the lifting part of it... On Tuesday and Thursday, we've track and field stuff. But, on those days I'll also do Pilates before I go to the track. I do Pilates two days a week. It's good for the hips and the core, and it's especially good for guys like us. It's something that Dr Chad provides. He has a Pilates section in the gym.”

“One of the things I told to Dr Chad Moreau was that I wanted to do things that'd help prevent injury. I also wanted to do things that helped me feel good over an 82-game schedule and I want to be fast... That's the way the League is going right now, everybody's fast... I want to make sure that I'm quick and that I'm explosive. I'm working on all of that... I'm trying to incorporate that with getting on the ice more, feeling good on the ice and working on some skills stuff. I know it sounds crazy, but I still think I can improve as a player and get better... I'm trying, like I do every year, to have a career season next year.”

“I've been doing some skating on my own a couple of days a week, feeling pucks and shooting pucks... They're just things that you can never do enough of and it only helps. Not only does it help you get better, but it helps your confidence with the puck. If you do enough of it, repetition, you're definitely going to get better at it.”

“Pushing myself? I've been doing it for so long now, but I still have that competitive drive. We've challenges in the gym and I still want to beat the young guys. I want to play as long as I can... The only way to do that is to put in the work. You've still got to be competitive and enjoy what you're doing. I do. I enjoy it. I love going to the gym and getting a good sweat. I feel better when I'm doing it.. Seeing where I'm at now, I've been fortunate to play for so long that I still think I can play longer. Training is such a big part of the game and I love it... I love hockey so much... I guess I'm a little bit of a hidden hockey nerd... I love the game and I love everything that comes with it...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Thompson looks younger than ever. He’s adjusting slowly to the tempo of the league. He renewed himself with the extra-work done back then.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He has played well but isn't faster. Nobody gets faster in their mid thirties. He simply isn't the slug that the anti MB crowd tries to make him out to be.

Looked good since Habs acquired him and even better this season so far. Actually looks better than I remember.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has played well but isn't faster. Nobody gets faster in their mid thirties. He simply isn't the slug that the anti MB crowd tries to make him out to be.

He looked noticeably leaner in the preseason imo. That will increase your speed.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This guy couldnt score in junior, fhe AHL, and he certainly cant produce in the NHL.

But...

He plays hard and well enough on the 4th line to have stuck around for over 700 NHL games. Impressive as hell.

Reactions: Tyson

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Glad he is on the team a great vet. Especially happy to see him with Suzuki, kid must be learning a ton. Also great on FO's.

Great 4th liner and what the team needs now. He will be pushed out eventually but he is in the right spot at the right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad