Player Discussion Nate Thompson

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He's not good
He played 13 games with the habs, averages 13 min of ice time, and has already been on the ice for 11 goals against... He was responsible for a lot of those goals against.
He brings nothing offensively and has not been reliable defensively...

Peca looked pretty good in his last few games before getting scratched, and would help our team more than Thompson.

Would rather see a 4th line of Lehkonen - Weal - Peca

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He's not good
He played 13 games with the habs, averages 13 min of ice time, and has already been on the ice for 11 goals against... He was responsible for a lot of those goals against.

Peca looked pretty good in his last few games before getting scratched, and would help our team more than Thompson.

While I agree that Thompson is vastly overrated, I don’t think Peca is the answer. There is not an answer with the current group of scrubs assembled

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
While I agree that Thompson is vastly overrated, I don’t think Peca is the answer. There is not an answer with the current group of scrubs assembled

I remember arguing with someone about how Thompson does not improve the team at all, but was told he did. Wish I remembered who it was.

Reactions: LaP and Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You can be critical of lots in LA but not their centermen depth. With Kopitar, Carter and Kempe ahead of him, why would they play Thompson 13 minutes a game if he was as bad as you're saying?

LA is awful from A to Z outside of Kopitar and Doughty (when he wants to play). Bottom 5 team in the league.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Worst case, he's an upgrade over Chaput. Best case, he has a similar Mike Weaver effect after coming from a ****** team and gives us a couple months of very solid hockey.

Chaput doesn't matter. He must be an upgrade over Hudon and DLR. He's a downgrade outside of the faceoffs circle. He used to be good but he's a nothing player now. If he improves your team you have a bad team.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was awful during this road trip. Responsible for goals against in San Jose and Anaheim, and set up a great scoring chance against in LA, when he passed the puck to an opponent in the slot. Combine this with no puck skills whatsoever and he's hardly an upgrade. If this was Chaput, we'd all be collectively freaking out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chaput doesn't matter. He must be an upgrade over Hudon and DLR. He's a downgrade outside of the faceoffs circle. He used to be good but he's a nothing player now. If he improves your team you have a bad team.

That Julien thought Deslauriers-Thompson-Weise would be great 4th line in today's NHL, like campbell-Paille-Thornton was for him in 2011, and that Bergevin concurred, says a lot about management.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's not good

Imo as a C, Chaput > Peca.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That Julien thought Deslauriers-Thompson-Weise would be great 4th line in today's NHL, like campbell-Paille-Thornton was for him in 2011, and that Bergevin concurred, says a lot about management.
after calling up Chaput and D'agostino, acquiring Weise, Weal and Thompson, we clearly see the solution was to not do anything and play the guy you already had on the team, DLR.

I mean, if the goal was to have non-NHL calibre players on the 4th line, DLR could have done the job no problem.

the repeat of King-Ott-Martinsen is giving the same results, who would have thought :dunno:

Reactions: LaP and cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
after calling up Chaput and D'agostino, acquiring Weise, Weal and Thompson, we clearly see the solution was to not do anything and play the guy you already had on the team, DLR.

I mean, if the goal was to have non-NHL calibre players on the 4th line, DLR could have done the job no problem.

the repeat of King-Ott-Martinsen is giving the same results, who would have thought :dunno:

If you look back to the start of this thread and threads about lineups at the time of the trade, most posters were happy to have him and this new 4th line. Chaput wasn't grest, but he wasn't that bad. It seems he accidentally took one over the glass penalty at the end of a game and everyone turned on him. Clearly, our problems are deeper than that.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019

DLR or even Pleky would have been just fine. 6 trades later and the 4th line is worse.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I agree with most here. Thompson/Weise is a fail experiment. Our 4th line should bring speed and energy. Guys like Agostino, Hudon, Peca and Deslauriers were doing just fine, and yes even Chaput to an extent.

Fortunately, with our offensive depth and the acquisition of Weal there is still plenty of options for Julien to assemble a fast and intense 4th line. Stick Kotkaniemi back on the 3rd line and have Weal/Lehkonen/Hudon on the 4th.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wish we had just kept Plekanec and played Peca/Hudon with him. Plekanec helped defensively (plus could kill penalties and was above average at faceoffs) and the other two were able to provide some offense at least.

We've got a combined 3 even strength goals this year in 135 games from D-LO/Chaput/Thompson/Weise/Agostino, that is disgusting.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Wish we had just kept Plekanec and played Peca/Hudon with him. Plekanec helped defensively (plus could kill penalties and was above average at faceoffs) and the other two were able to provide some offense at least.

We've got a combined 3 even strength goals this year in 135 games from D-LO/Chaput/Thompson/Weise/Agostino, that is disgusting.

Say we want one big body on the fourth line, pick Thompson, Weise or Deslauriers. One quick offensive player, pick Weal or Peca. The third guy is Lehkonen if everyone is healthy.

My preference is Weal over Peca. If Weal can handle the faceoffs, then we don't need Thompson. I would place Deslauriers and Weise on internal competition for the 12th spot. If we need more faceoff strength, then Lehkonen-Thompson-Weal.

No more than one slow guy with limited offence. Weise probably has the best chance of producing if alongside Lehks and Weal.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Weise has been looking better since coming over, Thompson looks worse. I think Weise is a much better option because Lehkonen is a lock for 4LW, and Weal is a C and better than Thompson.

I think weise has the best chance of making a positive impact between he, Deslauriers and Thompson.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's not good

We need to have SOME size: Lehkonen-Weal-Weise (or Deslauriers once Weise gets complacent, which he will)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad