Player Discussion Nate Thompson

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I don't think he'S as fast and aggressive as he was before but like other said, Chaput wasn't able to do anything in the offensive zone and, at some point, we need the 4th line to score a goal. Heck, Chaput couldn't shoot or pass the puck to save his life. An upgrade is an upgrade.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
FYI to all who missed it, his former teammate Aaron Ward was on tsn690. He said Nate Thompson is such a genuine hard worker (not just doing it to impress the coaches) and takes improving his game and practicing so seriously that it even holds the veterans accountable - it sets a standard that makes others look bad if they don't match his intensity and commitment.

Heard it and really had me like the player a lot more. Ward was gushing over the guy. I think he will bring more to the team then just goals.

Everyone should try and listen to the interview if they can to get a different perspective on the player with someone who played the game with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah ! they call him up from Laval to lead the team with his scoring touch and he failed :sarcasm:

Really too bad. He was featured on my local dollar store calendar page this month.

nhwguab.jpg

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Should try him on the powerplay.

Sure we wont score, but we're not scoring now and it likely means we're less likely to give up a shortie, so that's an improvement ?

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
Let's revisit this after the playoffs if he plays over 13 minutes (3rd line center). So do you think if he is our third line center we have a good team? That's nonsense to me.
That's 4th line time with PK

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Which is one of the many reasons LA is one of the worst team in the league. If 2019 Thompson plays 13 minutes you do not have a good team.
You can be critical of lots in LA but not their centermen depth. With Kopitar, Carter and Kempe ahead of him, why would they play Thompson 13 minutes a game if he was as bad as you're saying?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Worst case, he's an upgrade over Chaput. Best case, he has a similar Mike Weaver effect after coming from a ****** team and gives us a couple months of very solid hockey.

Reactions: jaffy27

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
You can be critical of lots in LA but not their centermen depth. With Kopitar, Carter and Kempe ahead of him, why would they play Thompson 13 minutes a game if he was as bad as you're saying?
Desjardins is an idiot, as simple as that. He played 20 minutes on the PP for the Kings, like okay.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Aside from Julien, Desjardins is the only other coach in the league who played Chaput regularly as a coach.. he was even playing him 18/19 minutes a game at one point.
Tank master. At least, I'd like to think that Chaput was being played out of necessity for FOW more than anything (although to his defense, he did have a good camp + was getting productive in Laval, so that must have helped).

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Actually... he's sorta right. 13 minutes is too much for someone like Thompson. It's also closer to Kotkaniemi's icetime than to Chaput's.

Why would he play any more than chaput? He's coming in to play the same role Chaput did. The hope is that he does it better.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why would he play any more than chaput? He's coming in to play the same role Chaput did. The hope is that he does it better.

That's how I see it as well. A fourth liner gets fourth-liner type minutes. If he gets more, then he's on his way to becoming a third liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: JianYang

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That's how I see it as well. A fourth liner gets fourth-liner type minutes. If he gets more, then he's on his way to becoming third liner.
He was playing more in LA because they suck this year. He was even used on the PP...

Let's hope Claude keeps him on the 4th line.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Funny because one or two weeks ago I read a article somewhere that Julien was not happy with his 4th line, meaning that he was trying to do it right with what he had underhand... well flash forward a few days and here we are with Thompson/Weise instead of Chaput and Dago. It may be better, maybe not, but I doubt it is worse.

Jul 6, 2016
Hopefully DesLauriers, Thompson and Weise gonna click really quickly. Two huge road games coming up.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully DesLauriers, Thompson and Weise gonna click really quickly. Two huge road games coming up.
on paper, I like the combo. Thompson isn't going to chip in much offence, but he can win draws, kill penalties, and matchup defensively. He also adds a little size and grit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad