Player Discussion Nate Thompson

Jul 6, 2016
Third most faceoffs taken in LA behind Kopitar and Carter. Second best in % with over 53 %. + 3. Almost average 13 minutes per game.

UFA next July...

That's fine with me.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He's going to be a good addition. Since this team is about depth, we need all four lines to be competitive and will not be the ones to cost you. Look at the Toronto game.

I hate to say it, but the Julien coached 2011 Bruins were like having 4 2nd lines. This team isn't quite there, but could be in 1-2 years. What we have before the trades was 3 lines that could roll in the playoffs, and a vulnerable fourth line. Adding Thompson gives us the safety of putting that fourth line out there and eating minutes in the opponent's end. Chaput is just not completely trustworthy (I don't think he's been as bad as some posters say).

Byron or Lehkonen with Thompson and Weise? That could be a fan favourite by next week.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He's going to be a good addition. Since this team is about depth, we need all four lines to be competitive and will not be the ones to cost you. Look at the Toronto game.

I hate to say it, but the Julien coached 2011 Bruins were like having 4 2nd lines. This team isn't quite there, but could be in 1-2 years. What we have before the trades was 3 lines that could roll in the playoffs, and a vulnerable fourth line. Adding Thompson gives us the safety of putting that fourth line out there and eating minutes in the opponent's end. Chaput is just not completely trustworthy (I don't think he's been as bad as some posters say).

Byron or Lehkonen with Thompson and Weise? That could be a fan favourite by next week.

good post and important point brought up.

CJ will need to be able to have his 4th line give him 10-12 mins a night. We can't play the 4th line 7 minutes a game it won't work with the team we have. We need to be able to roll 4 lines.

So if Nate can win FO's and play strong D so CJ can roll 4 lines in a 7 game series this will be a good deal.

Jul 6, 2016
good post and important point brought up.

CJ will need to be able to have his 4th line give him 10-12 mins a night. We can't play the 4th line 7 minutes a game it won't work with the team we have. We need to be able to roll 4 lines.

So if Nate can win FO's and play strong D so CJ can roll 4 lines in a 7 game series this will be a good deal.

Right. Thompson was used to play nearly 13 minutes in LA. Weise can too.

Reactions: scrubadam

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
An old Lada from the 80ies cost nothing too. I'll keep driving my Mazda 3 thank you very much. I hope he'll play better for us than he did with LA this year.

Thompson replaces Chaput, no?

I think we're replacing a 1992 200SX 1.8L with a 1984 Camaro 305 HO, if I go by their birth years. Sacrifice some handling for more grunt. :sarcasm:

Jul 6, 2016
Let's revisit this after the playoffs if he plays over 13 minutes (3rd line center). So do you think if he is our third line center we have a good team? That's nonsense to me.

He will kill penalties + his 4th line duties, he will get close to 13. And even if he plays only 10-11, that's gonna be fine too.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If he was able to play 13 in LA and be +3, he can certainly play less in MTL. That's what I meant.

For Christsakes, I hope he'll play less than 13 minutes, because these two minutes (more than Chaput's icetime) would come at the expense of significantly better players.

Reactions: LaP

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
4th liner veteran adding to the balance.

FYI to all who missed it, his former teammate Aaron Ward was on tsn690. He said Nate Thompson is such a genuine hard worker (not just doing it to impress the coaches) and takes improving his game and practicing so seriously that it even holds the veterans accountable - it sets a standard that makes others look bad if they don't match his intensity and commitment.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I think he will eat some minutes from the Domi and KK lines based off defensive zone face offs, and maybe some important offensive ones as well, so seeing him alone from the 4th line up around 12-13 mins a night shouldn’t surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad