Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson 1 year 750k

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Definitely the new Hendricks.....doesn't speak well of the current leadership group when the org is always bringing in guys to be the "glue" in the room.
Not that I think Thompson will help in any area, tangible or other, but I've never understood arguments like these. It's like bringing in a guy that can shoot and saying "says a lot about Laine's shot". What? Why can't we have multiple people who are good at the same thing? Why couldn't his leadership qualities be in addition to the leadership that's already here? Can you have too many players that show leadership?

With that being said I hope he doesn't touch the ice in a game situation but I know he will.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
They gave him Rypien's #11 . You don't do that unless he's all but made the team.
i think the Rypien number thing is interesting. i don't have any issues with Rypien's number being available. i think that a decade will pass since his passing and the Jets did a great job honouring him. i know it will piss some people off when i say it, but i'm fine with moving on (no more sticker on the helmet, having his number in play) and keeping Rypien's memory and mental health education alive through other more meaningful and non-passive means

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not that I think Thompson will help in any area, tangible or other, but I've never understood arguments like these. It's like bringing in a guy that can shoot and saying "says a lot about Laine's shot". What? Why can't we have multiple people who are good at the same thing? Why couldn't his leadership qualities be in addition to the leadership that's already here? Can you have too many players that show leadership?

With that being said I hope he doesn't touch the ice in a game situation but I know he will.

That's a great point, and I'm certainly guilty of minimizing it at times.

I guess the question I'd ask is, What kind of leadership does Thompson (or anyone) offer? Are they brought in to reinforce the guts n' glory, earn every second of every shift, no one just gets gifted the keys to the car old-school values that's been brought up in a few places here recently; in other words, are these "extra" leaders here to reinforce an approved messaging, or is there a varied hymn sheet that they're singing from?

I mean, I can imagine that Wheels is one kind of leader, and Little another, and Buff was another, and maybe Thompson has a wholly different story to tell that maybe engages some of the players, and Stats brings a different point of view -- in which case, I agree, it may be a real help.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I guess the question I'd ask is, What kind of leadership does Thompson (or anyone) offer? Are they brought in to reinforce the guts n' glory, earn every second of every shift, no one just gets gifted the keys to the car old-school values that's been brought up in a few places here recently; in other words, are these "extra" leaders here to reinforce an approved messaging, or is there a varied hymn sheet that they're singing from?

I mean, I can imagine that Wheels is one kind of leader, and Little another, and Buff was another, and maybe Thompson has a wholly different story to tell that maybe engages some of the players, and Stats brings a different point of view -- in which case, I agree, it may be a real help.
I think sometimes we forget how young some of these kids are when the best of them start playing professionally. I have a teenager at home and I'm happy when he closes the freezer door and turns off the oven after cooking up a box of chicken wings. Having guys around that have clawed and fought for every inch over 15-20 years while eking out a pro career with far less talent could be IMO at least a pretty good influencer on some of these kids.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think sometimes we forget how young some of these kids are when the best of them start playing professionally. I have a teenager at home and I'm happy when he closes the freezer door and turns off the oven after cooking up a box of chicken wings. Having guys around that have clawed and fought for every inch over 15-20 years while eking out a pro career with far less talent could be IMO at least a pretty good influencer on some of these kids.

Absolutely. And I wonder if Wheeler's mea culpa last offseason about rethinking his leadership style perhaps is a sign that there's perhaps too much pressure placed on existing leadership also.

And I'm actually tempted to sign a vet to impart a bit of hard-won wisdom to my kids. I'm impressed that yours turns off the oven. One of mine expressed surprise recently that tins required openers, despite our years of steady and mostly calm attempts to teach them some useful life skills not covered on TikTok.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

there's all sorts of ways to be a leader. we have to realize that Wheeler's a bit bristly so it may not speak to all players.
having character players ....nothing wrong with that as long as the team's not full of them. look, without looking at stats, i don't have an issue replacing Shore with anyone. not sure Thompson's the best, but i don't know how many 4th line centres - in a league that's starved of centre talent - are/were out there to play those 6 minutes a night that would be a vast improvement.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
i think the Rypien number thing is interesting. i don't have any issues with Rypien's number being available. i think that a decade will pass since his passing and the Jets did a great job honouring him. i know it will piss some people off when i say it, but i'm fine with moving on (no more sticker on the helmet, having his number in play) and keeping Rypien's memory and mental health education alive through other more meaningful and non-passive means
I think it's all about honoring #10 this year.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don't have issue with them giving him that number. The issue I have is that it's a traditional hockey number and you don't give those out to guys that are headed to the AHL. Which is where Thompson's tallent level dictates he be.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't have issue with them giving him that number. The issue I have is that it's a traditional hockey number and you don't give those out to guys that are headed to the AHL. Which is where Thompson's tallent level dictates he be.
He is a 15 year NHL vet with close to 800 games under his belt. Even if he is mostly a PB guy and spends time on the Moose TNSE is a classy enough of an organization to give him his number if available.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Are there other pro sports where they keep old, shitty players on ice/field/court for their intangibles? Like in football you wouldn't see a team hold onto a veteran RB who can't run the ball effectively anymore because he's good in the room and is a leader. Does the NBA do this? Pro soccer? I'm talking about players who were marginal at their peak sticking around year after year.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Are there other pro sports where they keep old, shitty players on ice/field/court for their intangibles? Like in football you wouldn't see a team hold onto a veteran RB who can't run the ball effectively anymore because he's good in the room and is a leader. Does the NBA do this? Pro soccer? I'm talking about players who were marginal at their peak sticking around year after year.
Baseball maybe? Very good point

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Baseball maybe? Very good point

Not with the advent of moneyball. Definitely not football (soccer) anymore or for years really. It does seem to be a hockey thing, primarily, perhaps because it's not as noticeable to the casual fan who sees Stu flinging himself recklessly at the ankles of an opponent as he crosses the blue line and imagines it's textbook defence.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
eh, whatever. he's a veteran. they aren't giving him #64.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
eh, whatever. he's a veteran. they aren't giving him #64.
As long as he’s nowhere near an NHL game, dressed or in the press box, I don’t care what number they give him...but if he’s up with the Jets he will play. PoMo can’t help himself.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

In the defense of intangibles (OMG is this Garret?), NHL hockey is likely the sport where you can get away with this the most.

Let's assume that intangibles create significant value that's to equatable scale as on-ice impact. Hockey you can really control the 4th line player's TOI, not just in aggregate but in leverage as well (leading vs trailing, higher leverage mins late in the game, etc.).

Now I think teams overvalue these things and undervalue on ice results, but I get the idea behind the alternative opinions.

Reactions: Jet

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I would think anyone of Lowry, Copp, Gustafsson, Harkins.
Harkins doesn't seem to be a legit option at C.
with a shortened season and the expansion draft, it's looking like Gus is staying in europe, which may not be a bad thing.
Lowry's our 3rd C.
Copp needs more than 6 min of icetime per game.

so yeah, Thompson.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Harkins doesn't seem to be a legit option at C.
with a shortened season and the expansion draft, it's looking like Gus is staying in europe, which may not be a bad thing.
Lowry's our 3rd C.
Copp needs more than 6 min of icetime per game.

so yeah, Thompson.

There's a good chance you see Lowry-Copp again to start, there's a faith Maurice has in those 2 to be catalysts.

I think Harkins and Toninato put up pretty similar numbers last year, except that Toninato put in more defensive zone starts, and took NHL faceoffs, so he'd be in the discussion too. Gustafsson is playing in tier 2, so I think he's in the plans for a return. More about practice for him, playing regularly. He's a legitimate option. He didn't really play much with Appleton, who got hurt before the Heritage game, or Perreault, who was bumped up the lineup. He played quite a bit with wingers like Bourque, Luoto and Logan Shaw. It wasn't until he was loaned for the WJHC then demoted that Harkins came up from the Moose. But I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson played quite a bit this year. He's got that Hendricks locker room leader quality that Maurice seems to like. If there are a lot of back to backs in a condensed season maybe you rest your vets and bring in younger players like Gustafsson.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think vets like this can settle players down and help them learn to not let their emotions impact their play so much. Young inexperienced teams are certainly more prone to variances in play based on situational impacts (losing streaks, loss of key players, poor goaltending, playoffs) and veterans can stabilize this.

Whether Nate is a good player or not, I've seen tons of positive stuff about him, both as a person and a fan favorite. How much he gets used in actual games is really the philosophical argument we often have around here. Do we have a soft minute 4th line scoring line, or do we have a 4th line that's meant to grind other teams down, have low event hockey, and have forwards there who PK so as to keep our talented players fresher?

The subleties of hockey are sometimes glossed over in arguments that icing a team with strictly talent is the best option. In the real world application of the game, different roles are needed situationally.

Even in our most successful season we had these types of players, and they contributed significantly to the team's success.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Just by listening to him and Hendrix's it seems these guys are brought in to work with the rookies/youngsters as their primary job. Stuart served a similar function from what I recall. My guess is they don't want the the Wheeler's, Scheifele's, Morrissey's of the leadership core dealing with the kids on a day to day basis as they likely have other things they need to look after so they bring in someone specifically for that role.

I have no issue with it as long as he doesn't play much but I don't trust Maurice to use him as just a mentor. He will over use him just as he has over used all of the good glue guys that no longer are capable of performing at an NHL level.

We have kids like Appelton and Harkins that should be in the lineup everyday now based on merit but imo Thompson is going to eat into some of their ice time just for being a vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad