Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
My thought would be LIRR to Westbury LIRR station.

Plenty o cabs there waiting.. pile in and its just a couple of miles down Post Ave.

Grab the card of the driver.. and give a call about 1/2 hour before you wanna leave the Coli.

Tell them to pick u guys up at marriott. Just make sure to know the return trip times for train back to NYC.

If return trips are hard to come by, just have cab(s) drive you to Hicksville to catch the next westbound train.

I would generally agree with this, but I would go with Mineola over Westbury. Mineola branch has more service. Cab ride might be a little more in Mineola than from Westbury, but difference is likely not going to be that much since the LIRR is cheaper to Mineola than Westbury. Also there are more trains going back and forth to Mineola than any other station on Long Island

Make sure to purchase the train tickets at Penn Station (cheaper buying it there than on the train). Also buy a round trip Peak/off peak ticket. You will need to purchase a peak ticket for the way to the game since it will be during Rush Hour leaving Manhattan, on the way back you can use an off-peak ticket.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd look into calling a car service and/or uber and getting van that will fit all of you. It'll be around $100 one way from midtown but that's less than 20 bucks a head. You can arrange to have them pick you up at the hotel near the coliseum after the game. For around $35 per person you'll get hassle free, roundtrip, door to door service.

I'd look into this plan. Considering you will have to pay for a roundtrip train ride plus (at least) two cabs per man, it might make sense to go in style via limo or car service. If you get the limo, you can drink, etc. on the way there and back.

Its $8 each way on the train. A cab should be $10 each way per man. That's already $36. Plus, you have to get to Penn Station. That's at least $2.50/sbwy ride. More likely, you'll take a cab adding the expense.

Just order a limo, load it up with beer and booze and enjoy yourself. You won't even be spending all that much more money and its a much better time.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'd look into this plan. Considering you will have to pay for a roundtrip train ride plus (at least) two cabs per man, it might make sense to go in style via limo or car service. If you get the limo, you can drink, etc. on the way there and back.

Its $8 each way on the train. A cab should be $10 each way per man. That's already $36. Plus, you have to get to Penn Station. That's at least $2.50/sbwy ride. More likely, you'll take a cab adding the expense.

Just order a limo, load it up with beer and booze and enjoy yourself. You won't even be spending all that much more money and its a much better time.

:nod:

You and I think alike. Nothing wrong with paying for convenience.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Be sure to leave plenty of time if you do end up taking the roads rather than the railroad. Getting out of the city on a Friday is a nightmare. It can transform a 45 minute drive into a 3 hour one. Don't leave any later than 4 (5:30 if you take the LIRR).

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island

This is probably the best bang for your buck

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
There are a ton of fans on the side opposite the Marriott after every game waiting to pick people up so you don't need to worry about returning to the train station.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Be sure to leave plenty of time if you do end up taking the roads rather than the railroad. Getting out of the city on a Friday is a nightmare. It can transform a 45 minute drive into a 3 hour one. Don't leave any later than 4 (5:30 if you take the LIRR).

4 is a little extreme, but the point is a good one.

To the OP, assuming this is a bunch of guys coming to have a good time, make your way to a bar on the East side during the day - somewhere near the midtown tunnel. Get started early and have a few pops. Make sure you pick a bar where you can simply duck right into the tunnel - there are 100s of joints like that (anywhere around 2nd Ave and 34th St will do). Pick up a couple of cases of beer for the ride and have a limo pick you up around 5pm. For after the game, make sure you have the beer in the trunk (so it stays cold) and have the driver take you to wherever you are going for the night to drink/eat (i.e. downtown, etc.)

:nod:

You and I think alike. Nothing wrong with paying for convenience.

Its a no brainer. I was even going to (and now I will) suggest that they bump it up to a mini party bus and get a stripper or two. That may be excessive but always need to be thinking....

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Its a no brainer. I was even going to (and now I will) suggest that they bump it up to a mini party bus and get a stripper or two. That may be excessive but always need to be thinking....

They're on vacation. Gotta live it up.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Years ago, we did a bachelor party trip to Montreal. Seven guys rented a conversion van. Had swivel seats and a table in the back. Rotated drivers and had a poker game and stratomatic tournament on the drive. Might be an option for this crew.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Years ago, we did a bachelor party trip to Montreal. Seven guys rented a conversion van. Had swivel seats and a table in the back. Rotated drivers and had a poker game and stratomatic tournament on the drive. Might be an option for this crew.

Chez Paree?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
What would you suggest? I am planning to take my 7 year old to his first and probably last game at the NVMC. We are going on a budget (but, I'm more flexible because of the circumstances). I found seats within my budget in row F of 338 and row P of 321, among others. I'm trying to decide between those 2. Section 321 is a terrific place to watch the game, but I am concerned about row P. Please advise!

321 better regardless of the higher letter.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
not exactly a newbie to the coli but never knew of the "secret" downstairs bathrooms. how does one find his way there and does it even make a difference for a saturday game?

also, besides the team shop, are there any other shops within a decent drive of the coli that has a good selection of isles hats?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Hey,

6 Canadian lads are visiting NYC this weekend. We were originally going to drive, but now were at 6 so don't want to take 2 cars. What is the best and cheapest way to get to the Islanders game tomorrow night? We are staying around 57th and 9th in NYC...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

It's easy to make your way to the Coliseum by driving, just a matter of getting a good deal on a car. Even if you're paying $100/car for 2 cars the cost is comparable because round trip on the train for 6 people (~$120) plus the cabs, plus waiting for trains and cabs, especially when you wanna get back to the hotel after the game is a pain in the ass. Take the midtown tunnel gets you straight on the LIE (495) to the Meadowbrook and you're there.

People are right not much to see this time of year unless you're interested in the cradle of aviation museum or chain restaurants at the Source Mall (Cheesecake Factory). In the summer the biggest draw around there is Jones Beach. You can still drive there and see the ocean but you'll freeze your *** off :)

OsloBladeIslander

Aug 5, 2011
Oslo
I must say after visiting the Coliseum four times last week, I never had any problems getting a taxi after the match. I just headed over to the Marriott, got a taxi within 5 minutes and paid between $8-12 depending on if I shared or was on my own.

It was really great finally getting to visit the Coliseum! See you next time in Brooklyn.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Flying in from Calgary to see my 1st Isles game Mar 10 vs the Rags. Seats are section 119 row D. Would these seats have obstructed views?

As well for a Tuesday game will there be any tailgating pre game or should I just hit the bar in the Marriot?

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Flying in from Calgary to see my 1st Isles game Mar 10 vs the Rags. Seats are section 119 row D. Would these seats have obstructed views?

As well for a Tuesday game will there be any tailgating pre game or should I just hit the bar in the Marriot?

You're pretty close to the ice so the only obstructed view might be in the corner on the far side goal along the boards closest to you.

I'm sure there will be tailgating going on if the weather is good. Most people just bring some beer and hang out by their cars some really go all out. Whatever you want really.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You're pretty close to the ice so the only obstructed view might be in the corner on the far side goal along the boards closest to you.

I'm sure there will be tailgating going on if the weather is good. Most people just bring some beer and hang out by their cars some really go all out. Whatever you want really.

The weather is supposed to warm up (sunny and 45 ), so I would FULLY expect tailgating to be on, LIKE DONKEY KONG.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com

I was in 112 section E for the last Isles/Rangers game (pretty much the exact same seats, but at the other end of the ice).

Seats were excellent, especially for the play along the boards and near that net. Only some obstructed views on the same side of the boards at the other end of the ice, but you could still see it pretty well.

There really was only a little tailgating at that game, but it was freezing out, should be a bit warmer next week so you will likely see a bit of tailgating.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Thx guys for the info. 1st trip to the area. Also have 2 seats for Sens game Mar 13 sec 203 row A then Mar 14 vs Habs sec 217 row B. Can't wait!

Boyks

Dec 14, 2010
Well survived the trip, lots of travel (12 hours door to door one way) to watch 2 losses.
Thought Isles were horrible on Friday vs the Sens and they played the night before. Better effort vs the Habs but came up short.
Must say the sight lines in the arena are great had section 214 for Ottawa which were great and 102 for Habs which weren't as good to see the whole ice.
Was nice to see a game in the coliseum before they leave but one win sure would've been nice.
Thanks everyone for the advice, found we didn't have time to do much as we were trying to get to Champions and the games early, I guess if there is a next time will stay in the city for sure as it makes more sense anyway (closer to Barclay's)
All the cabbies were bummed about them moving, not sure how the hotels will cope either.
All in all a great experience but the exchange rate and cab rides were killers.

Bob

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Was in town this weekend for the same two games as well. Disappointing results but had a blast being back at the old barn. Met some cool Isles fans from Canada and even San Diego at the one bar in Champions. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in East Garden City. It was about a 5-10 minute drive to the Coliseum but there was a ton of stuff to do up that way in between the games. Highly recommend it.

BroadwayJay*

Was in town this weekend for the same two games as well. Disappointing results but had a blast being back at the old barn. Met some cool Isles fans from Canada and even San Diego at the one bar in Champions. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in East Garden City. It was about a 5-10 minute drive to the Coliseum but there was a ton of stuff to do up that way in between the games. Highly recommend it.

Are you coming in at all for the playoffs?

I'd like to get a meetup going for some road games.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com

Literally around the block from my office

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad