Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think all of these questions have come up enough that it's time for a sticky answers thread. Any questions about watching the Isles play live, whether it's advice on buying tickets, picking seats, getting to the arena, etc will now go here. I'll try to update this post to keep a handy FAQ guide running with questions that come up and answers that the posters provide. The answers in this post will try to sum up the more useful answers, while more detailed information will be contained within the thread itself. Posting and answering questions is of course open to everyone and anyone.

How do I get to Nassau?
from Lappy13: Take LIRR from (PENN STATION in NYC) to Mineola Train Station.
Shell out some bucks for a cab from there. Avoid Uniondale.

from Killer Carlson: If you are coming to NY without your own car, you are best off to go to NYC. From there, go to Penn Station and take the Long Island Rail Road to one of a few stations. Either Mineola, Hempstead or Westbury. From there, grab a cab and take it to the Coliseum. It won't be expensive (probably around $10 at most, I would think but others here could give you a better estimate).

Which tickets should I get?
from Lappy13: Really not a bad seat in the place. I tend to like end where the isles shoot 2x (attack zone). 200 and 300's are fine. . Last couple rows of coliseum are obstructed view, (not see scoreboard) . Have tv's for you to watch reply's etc. Remember will have to look through netting. The end zones are usually cheaper than the center ice. Since you are a student, you can get Loudville zone tickets. You have to get to stadium at least 1 hour or more before game. see link
http://islanders.nhl.com/tickets/loudville.htm
I think since you are coming from out of town , I think you want to have the tixs in hand in advance. If you want to try, I do not think there a shortage since this is a isles/sharks. It is a rare friday game so you never know.

from Killer Carlson: For tickets, I know you probably want to plan it all out but honestly, the game likely won't sell out and there will probably be some sort of special on tickets. In fact, hit the Isles website and they might have a deal for that game already set up. There really aren't any horrible seats in the Coliseum but you obviously want to stay away from the very top of the building, as in any arena. Best seats are probably middle of the lower bowl but you likely won't be able to get those in your price range. If you can get towards the top of the lower bowl, those are great seats but might still be out of your range. Your best bet might be to get seats in the first few rows of the upper bowl. Great seats for watching and they will be a bit cheaper.

Where should I eat dinner?

from Killer Carlson: Plan on eating elsewhere if you can. The food selection sucks and what they have, isn't very good. There is also a bar in the basement of the Coliseum called Doolins and a bunch of our posters can normally be found there. Decent place with a hot hostess.

Anything else to do in the area?
from Killer Carlson: As far as what to see around there...there isn't a thing. If you get there early and have time to kill, there is a Marriott hotel adjacent to the Coliseum and there is a Champions sports bar/restaurant in the lobby. Before the game, there will certainly be hockey fans eating and drinking there. BTW, it is very walkable from the Coliseum.

Last edited:

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Nassau Colisseum Visitor FAQ

Hello all,
Sorry to start another one of these types of threads, I'm sure you guys get even more than we do over at the Sharks board. But I am in desperate need here.

Here's the sitch: I go to school in Boston. My brother (an Isles fan) is coming to town in Feb, and we think it would be sweet to go see Sharks vs. Isles on the 18th. (Yes, I am aware that is a long time away, but I'm trying to get this sorted out ASAP since it's confusing.) So.

Question #1: How do I get to Nassau?
"Public transport" is a foreign thing to me - I've only just started mastering the Boston subway system. New York confuses the heck out of me. Since we're coming from Boston, I'm going to have to take a bus to NYC. What do I do from there?
(a) Long Island train - if so, which stop?
(b) Bus... of some sort? Help?
(c) Does anyone know of a way to go straight there without the NYC stop?
Cost is the primary concern here, although I'd fork over a few bucks for simplicity as well. (Also, if anyone has advice on the Boston-NYC stage of the trip, by all means give it. :))

Question #2: Which tickets should I get?
I'm looking at below $80 max.... preferably cheaper. What are good deal seats? Is it worth spending extra to be in the lower bowl? Areas an away fan might want to avoid? ;)

Question #3: Any other words of wisdom?
Any other info about the Uniondale area (sketchy spots, things to see, etc.), the game, or whatever, I'd love to hear it. Trash talking is welcome as well. :naughty:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, especially in the travel department. I promised my bro this trip - his only chance to see the Isles at home - and then realized how much planning that involves. Yikes!

GL to your team this season. :handclap: I'm rather fond of the Isles, as Eastern teams go.

LAPPY13

Apr 12, 2002
Long Island
Hello all,
Sorry to start another one of these types of threads, I'm sure you guys get even more than we do over at the Sharks board. But I am in desperate need here.

Here's the sitch: I go to school in Boston. My brother (an Isles fan) is coming to town in Feb, and we think it would be sweet to go see Sharks vs. Isles on the 18th. (Yes, I am aware that is a long time away, but I'm trying to get this sorted out ASAP since it's confusing.) So.

Question #1: How do I get to Nassau?
"Public transport" is a foreign thing to me - I've only just started mastering the Boston subway system. New York confuses the heck out of me. Since we're coming from Boston, I'm going to have to take a bus to NYC. What do I do from there?
(a) Long Island train - if so, which stop?
(b) Bus... of some sort? Help?
(c) Does anyone know of a way to go straight there without the NYC stop?
Cost is the primary concern here, although I'd fork over a few bucks for simplicity as well. (Also, if anyone has advice on the Boston-NYC stage of the trip, by all means give it. :))

Question #2: Which tickets should I get?
I'm looking at below $80 max.... preferably cheaper. What are good deal seats? Is it worth spending extra to be in the lower bowl? Areas an away fan might want to avoid? ;)

Question #3: Any other words of wisdom?
Any other info about the Uniondale area (sketchy spots, things to see, etc.), the game, or whatever, I'd love to hear it. Trash talking is welcome as well. :naughty:

Question#1:
Take LIRR from (PENN STATION in NYC) to Mineola Train Station.
Shell out some bucks for a cab from there. Avoid Uniondale.

Question #2:
Really not a bad seat in the place. I tend to like end where the isles shoot 2x (attack zone). 200 and 300's are fine. . Last couple rows of coliseum are obstructed view, (not see scoreboard) . Have tv's for you to watch reply's etc. Remember will have to look through netting. The end zones are usually cheaper than the center ice. Since you are a student, you can get Loudville zone tickets. You have to get to stadium at least 1 hour or more before game. see link
I think since you are coming from out of town , I think you want to have the tixs in hand in advance. If you want to try, I do not think there a shortage since this is a isles/sharks. It is a rare friday game so you never know.

Questions #3
I will be having Mako shark for dinner the night of the game.:)

Hope you and bro have a good time.

Enjoy

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
Wow. I'm sure you'll get a good amount of input on this one but coming from Boston without your own car, you are best off to go to NYC. From there, go to Penn Station and take the Long Island Rail Road to one of a few stations. Either Mineola, Hempstead or Westbury. From there, grab a cab and take it to the Coliseum. It won't be expensive (probably around $10 at most, I would think but others here could give you a better estimate).

As far as what to see around there...there isn't a thing. If you get there early and have time to kill, there is a Marriott hotel adjacent to the Coliseum and there is a Champions sports bar/restaurant in the lobby. Before the game, there will certainly be hockey fans eating and drinking there. BTW, it is very walkable from the Coliseum.

For tickets, I know you probably want to plan it all out but honestly, the game likely won't sell out and there will probably be some sort of special on tickets. In fact, hit the Isles website and they might have a deal for that game already set up. There really aren't any horrible seats in the Coliseum but you obviously want to stay away from the very top of the building, as in any arena. Best seats are probably middle of the lower bowl but you likely won't be able to get those in your price range. If you can get towards the top of the lower bowl, those are great seats but might still be out of your range. Your best bet might be to get seats in the first few rows of the upper bowl. Great seats for watching and they will be a bit cheaper.

Plan on eating elsewhere if you can. The food selection sucks and what they have, isn't very good. There is also a bar in the basement of the Coliseum called Doolins and a bunch of our posters can normally be found there. Decent place with a hot hostess. :naughty:

Anyway, I hope this is a good start but I'm sure that others will have more to add and if I was wrong on anything, guys, please correct me and help this visiting hockey fan out a bit.

I'm a big fan of the Sharks (especially Thornton) and had the opportunity to see them play the Stars recently. Definitely a good, good hockey team that should have a good run in them this year's playoffs. Best of luck and have a great time at the Isles game! I do hope that your brother leaves happier than you do, btw! :p:

The Baron

Apr 20, 2007
Definitely take the Fung Wah bus (or one of the other Chinatown buses) from Boston to NY. Cheap, reliable, and a quintessential Boston college experience. You catch them from South Station, which is on the red line :p

GutchBoring13

Sep 29, 2007
Long Island
Chinatown

If you can take a commuter rail from Boston to CT, then a commuter rail from CT to Penn Station, LIRR to Mineola, cab to Nassau Coliseum. That's the easiest. Chinatown buses work well, Amtrak, whatever. I'd actually suggest taking a bus or train to Bridgeport, then taking the ferry to Port Jeff, and LIRR-ing to Mineola. Kinda confusing though

**** it, give me directions on what time you want to leave, and i'll do it for you.

Rebels24

Dec 20, 2006
New York
From there, go to Penn Station and take the Long Island Rail Road to one of a few stations. Either Mineola, Hempstead or Westbury. From there, grab a cab and take it to the Coliseum.

I would definitely suggest going to Mineola as Westbury(New Cassel) and Hempstead are horrible areas and being from out of town....Anyway, stick to Mineola.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Wow... thanks for the great (and fast) responses. You've given me like 90% of what I needed in the span of a few hours. :bow:

Since you are a student, you can get Loudville zone tickets. You have to get to stadium at least 1 hour or more before game. see link

Hmmm... this is a possibility, we'll probably try to get there pretty early anyway. It's actually a Monday game, so I'm guessing it's safe to assume tickets would be available? 2 problems with this: 1. my bro is not a student, unless high school counts, 2. I'm not sure "Loudville" is the best seating for a hated away fan (on the other hand, could be fun to tick off people my own age :naughty:)

Decent place with a hot hostess. :naughty:

Not too helpful to me, but I'll let my brother know. ;)
(The rest of your post way muy helpful btw, I just didn't feel like quoting the whole thing.)

WRT transportation, here are my Boston-NYC option:
1. Fong Wah bus (or similar Chinatown thing) - was my original plan. I'm a bit worried because the earliest one is 6:45... if there are any delays (weather...), we might be cutting it a little close.
2. Amtrak train - this gets REALLY expensive, but my mom wants me to do it and is willing to pay (blah blah bus stations are dangerous blah). It does make the trip a lot easier, since I don't have to find my way around NYC.
3. This:
If you can take a commuter rail from Boston to CT, then a commuter rail from CT to Penn Station, LIRR to Mineola, cab to Nassau Coliseum.
.... but I'm pretty sure the Boston commuter rail doesn't run to CT, so I doubt that would work.

From NYC to Uniondale, that's all sorted out thanks to you folks and the LIRR website. :)
Except...
I'd actually suggest taking a bus or train to Bridgeport, then taking the ferry to Port Jeff, and LIRR-ing to Mineola. Kinda confusing though

**** it, give me directions on what time you want to leave, and i'll do it for you.

Is there a reason this would be better than going from Penn Station to Mineola? Getting to Bridgeport is equally troublesome as getting to NYC it seems...

Anyways, thanks a million for your help! :handclap: Keep it comin', if you think of anything. Oh, and....

Killer Carlson said:
Questions #3
I will be having Mako shark for dinner the night of the game.

Will this shark be caught by this guy, perhaps? :sarcasm:
Islanders_fisherman.jpg

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
I would definitely suggest going to Mineola as Westbury(New Cassel) and Hempstead are horrible areas and being from out of town....Anyway, stick to Mineola.

Nah, the Westbury station isn't really New Cassel, it is 'downtown' Westbury. Totally safe there to just walk outside and grab a cab. Hell, you could walk around over there a bit if you even wanted to. (I'm talking about the one on Post Avenue.)

Still, Mineola might be better but the Westbury station is also super-close to the Coliseum, IMO.

TheMetalChick*

Great advice everyone is giving, but the only thing I want to add is that Westbury is not "horrible" in the way its being painted out here. (Thanks for saying so Killer!) Its not like a person would get attacked by crackheads by hailing a cab in Westbury lol. All this "bad area" stuff is quite relative. Mineola is just the nicest area of the close train stations but Westbury isnt that much different. (Hempstead? Well- Hempstead is a bit more rough around the edges... its still not "horrible" though.) :)

Rebels24

Dec 20, 2006
New York
Nah, the Westbury station isn't really New Cassel, it is 'downtown' Westbury. Totally safe there to just walk outside and grab a cab. Hell, you could walk around over there a bit if you even wanted to. (I'm talking about the one on Post Avenue.)

Still, Mineola might be better but the Westbury station is also super-close to the Coliseum, IMO.

If it isnt actually "New Cassel" its a stones throw away.

Great advice everyone is giving, but the only thing I want to add is that Westbury is not "horrible" in the way its being painted out here. (Thanks for saying so Killer!) Its not like a person would get attacked by crackheads by hailing a cab in Westbury lol. All this "bad area" stuff is quite relative. Mineola is just the nicest area of the close train stations but Westbury isnt that much different. (Hempstead? Well- Hempstead is a bit more rough around the edges... its still not "horrible" though.) :)

If you say so. I work in the county but if you think its fine then feel free to try and persuade me otherwise. :dunno:

And as far as Hempstead it is by FAR the worst area in Nassau County. And by far I mean not even close.

Last edited:

TheMetalChick*

I have friends that live in Westbury, its pretty much fine over there. Yeah its close to New Cassel, but Garden City is close to Hempstead, too!

I of course agree that Hempstead is the crappiest place in Nassau county. I would not want to spend time just hanging out on the streets there, but Id still feel fine getting a cab or a bus (and I have many times since I dont have a car.) I just think of "horrible" as a place where I wouldnt even want to walk around without a bodyguard... Paterson NJ, the south bronx, far rockaway, etc.

Oh, and....

Will this shark be caught by this guy, perhaps? :sarcasm:
Islanders_fisherman.jpg

If Dubie is in net, then... yeah!!!:D
6o11bib.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
If you say so. I work in the county in LE but if you think its fine then feel free to try and persuade me otherwise. :dunno:

And as far as Hempstead it is by FAR the worst area in Nassau County. And by far I mean not even close.

Absolutely about Hempstead, although Roosevelt can certainly give it a run for its money.

But Westbury is WAY better than Hempstead. A world of difference, actually.

Rebels24

Dec 20, 2006
New York
I have friends that live in Westbury, its pretty much fine over there. Yeah its close to New Cassel, but Garden City is close to Hempstead, too!

I of course agree that Hempstead is the crappiest places in Nassau county. I would not want to spend time there, but Id still feel fine getting a cab or a bus (and I have many times since I dont have a car.) I just think of "horrible" as a place where I wouldnt even want to show up without a bodyguard... Paterson NJ, the south bronx, far rockaway, etc.

Absolutely about Hempstead, although Roosevelt can certainly give it a run for its money.

I have family there so I am aware of the difference. However their is quite a disparity between the south side or "Salisbury" section bordering East Meadow and the part further north, bordering New Cassel.

All I am saying is, stick to the Mineola train station versus the other two. Trust me. ;)

TheMetalChick*

Ugh, Roosevelt. Point taken. :) But now Freeport and Baldwin are getting jealous they werent mentioned! :sarcasm: (though both do still have some very nice areas!)

I have family there so I am aware of the difference. However their is quite a disparity between the south side or "Salisbury" section bordering East Meadow and the part further north, bordering New Cassel.
Yeah I lived in Hicksville so I would drive through the crappy part on my way to the stores down OCR or whatever. I hear ya. :)
A lot of the confusion is because I believe that New Cassel uses the same zip code as Westbury... though NC is not part of the incorporated village and is totally separate. Real Estaters always try to pass off New Cassel as Westbury!

All I am saying is, stick to the Mineola train station versus the other two. Trust me. ;)

Good advice- but Id just feel bad if this person was needlessly petrified with fear if they wound up at the wrong station lol. Theres no reason for that, its really just that one is preferable over the others.

CaliforniaFan

Jan 7, 2008
What about after the game?

Where would the best place be to meet a cab? Go across the street to the hotel? (I live in California and have been an Islanders fan since I was in NYC at a sportsbar when they beat the Pens in game 7 in 1993. Thanks to directv I have been able to watch nearly every game since then but this will be my first time at the Coliseum. I will be taking public transit from Times Square. I can't wait!)

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Are there any other hotels close the the Coliseum? I may be planning a trip and don't want to stay that far away but don't know if I want to spend the money for the Marriot. Although, just for the convenience, I may.

Thanks for any help in advance.

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
Are there any other hotels close the the Coliseum? I may be planning a trip and don't want to stay that far away but don't know if I want to spend the money for the Marriot. Although, just for the convenience, I may.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Only hotel/motel relatively close to the Coliseum would be the Bethpage motel. It is on Hempstead TPKE roughly 5 miles east of the Coliseum. It ain't the Ritz but it is cheaper than the Marriott. Good luck.

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
Only hotel/motel relatively close to the Coliseum would be the Bethpage motel. It is on Hempstead TPKE roughly 5 miles east of the Coliseum. It ain't the Ritz but it is cheaper than the Marriott. Good luck.

There's also a Hilton Garden Inn at the corner of Old Country Road and Merrick Ave in Westbury. It is close to the Coliseum and is probably cheaper than the Marriott. I've never stayed there but have stayed at a few other HGI's and they are generally nice enough. Equivalent to a Courtyard by Marriott. It is about a 5 min ride to the Coliseum...if that.

TheMetalChick*

Where would the best place be to meet a cab? Go across the street to the hotel? (I live in California and have been an Islanders fan since I was in NYC at a sportsbar when they beat the Pens in game 7 in 1993. Thanks to directv I have been able to watch nearly every game since then but this will be my first time at the Coliseum. I will be taking public transit from Times Square. I can't wait!)

You first became a fan in 93, and even through the despair of the 90s and living 3000 miles away youre still a fan now? That is great!!!
:highclap: :thumbu:

If youre staying on LI you can stay in a number of towns and still be close to NVMC. Killer's idea is a good one to consider.

Regardless of where you stay, I hope you have a great time. As non-fancy and understated as NVMC is, its a great place to see a game once the puck drops!!!

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site

There's also a Hilton Garden Inn at the corner of Old Country Road and Merrick Ave in Westbury. It is close to the Coliseum and is probably cheaper than the Marriott. I've never stayed there but have stayed at a few other HGI's and they are generally nice enough. Equivalent to a Courtyard by Marriott. It is about a 5 min ride to the Coliseum...if that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm planning on a trip to see the Pens on the 24th there at the Isle and then seeing them play the Devils in NJ on the 25th. If I stay closer to NJ (was looking at getting to either Jersey city or Secaucus late the 23rd) is it a relatively easy drive to the arena? Mapquest says about an hour, but is it an easy trip or should I just try to stay close and then go towards NJ on the 25th.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Hi guys,

Plans are coming along nicely - VERY nicely, actually, since we decided this is a one-time thing and decided to splurge on super expensive seats on the glass. :yo: Just wanted to thank you again for all your help, it really is making this way easier. I have a couple extemely nitpicky questions, if anyone is experienced with the LIRR:

1. About how long does it take to get to the Coliseum from the LIRR stop in Mineola (by cab)?

2. Apart from the price discount, is there a reason to buy the LIRR tickets ahead of time? I'm thinking my bus to NYC might arrive a little late, so the plan right now is just to jump the next available train from when I arrive. Is there any chance of these trains filling up and me being stranded?

P.S.
If Dubie is in net, then... yeah!!!:D

He better not be, we want to see DiPi vs. Nabby!

Good advice- but Id just feel bad if this person was needlessly petrified with fear if they wound up at the wrong station lol. Theres no reason for that, its really just that one is preferable over the others.

Don't worry, I'm not petrified with fear. But I think I'll....*gulp*....stick with Mineola. ;)

Purple Tentacle

Oct 24, 2007
NYC
Hi guys,
1. About how long does it take to get to the Coliseum from the LIRR stop in Mineola (by cab)?

2. Apart from the price discount, is there a reason to buy the LIRR tickets ahead of time? I'm thinking my bus to NYC might arrive a little late, so the plan right now is just to jump the next available train from when I arrive. Is there any chance of these trains filling up and me being stranded?

1. If you take the LIRR from the Hempstead stop the cab only takes about 5 minutes. My guess if you took it from the Mineola stop would be more like 15.

2. Honestly, no chance of the trains filling up. I've never seen that ever. Maybe around Christmas it does but the worst you'll have to worry about is having to stand instead of sit. There's no reason to buy a ticket ahead of time other than the price difference but tickets are good for any train for 6 months after you buy it so there's also no reason not to if you know you're going to be taking a train. You can also buy them at the station. Just don't buy them on board the train because they will be a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad