Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm going to be going to my first Coli game soon and was wondering where the best places to eat around the Coli are?

Thanks guys and gals!

BroadwayJay*

I'm going to be going to my first Coli game soon and was wondering where the best places to eat around the Coli are?

Thanks guys and gals!

Nowhere. The Chipotle.

The food in the Coli is even worse.

BroadwayJay*

There's no sub shop or anything like that close by?

Dunno, I always get a beer and a burrito.

Sometimes I'll get the burrito at Penn Station instead. Depends on how hungry I am.

I think there may be a deli nearby. As a non-driver I don't have a lot of insight.

The food IN the Coli is downright awful though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm defintely not eating in the Coli. I'm looking to fill up on the cheaper side beforehand.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Hurricane Wings in Garden City is my usual pre-game spot. It's a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum.

http://www.hurricanewings.com/

or anything over on merrick ave north of the coli .. theres a fridays, buffalo wild wings, bertucci's etc for the chains....or east on 24, or old country rd has a lot of eats...the only bad thing is nothing is in walking distance, but 5 minutes by car gives one a ton of choices.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
There's a great southern food joint in Mineola between Westbury and Old Country Rd. called Biscuits and Barbecue about 10 min from the Coli. Awesome food, but cash only.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Pilgrimage to Nassau Coliseum

I'm a Ducks fan and I'll be making my way out to Long Island to catch the game on Saturday and to pay my respects to the Coliseum before your club moves to Brooklyn. I'm looking forward to watching a game with a real hockey crowd in one of the last old school buildings in the league. I would love to get some advice from you guys:

--Concessions. We're sitting in the upper level, where's the best place to grab a bite and a beer? As this is the one and only time visiting the Coliseum what's the one thing I have to eat?

--Nearby bars. I desperately want to get a drink at bar where actual, several generations raises, knowledgeable hockey fans congregate. I live in perhaps the least hockey-centric part of North America that actually has an NHL team. I get shushed at the Pond for being too loud and I've had three different people ask me why I have a Todd Marchant jersey even though he plays for the Bruins. Seriously. I need to interact with real hockey fans on this trip.

--Friends or foes? How are visiting fans treated? My experience in other buildings have been great since the Ducks don't have much of an obnoxious following abroad. Like I said I get shushed for being loud so I'm a passionate fan but I don't want to draw any negative attention sitting with my pregnant wife but I also don't want to be a statue either. I think it's the dumbest thing ever to haze fans of the home team in their building but I also understand hazing to visitors comes with territory. Just want to make sure I can wear my jersey and cheer my team on not have a beer dumped on me (such is the risk of catching a game in LA). If Wings and Rangers fans can show respect I have no doubt Islanders fan do too.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I can't wait for Saturday. And congrats on the great season. I'm going to make a friend of my eat some serious crow in a couple of weeks because I assured him that the Isles would be one the top-three teams in the Metro before the season. I think the work Snow has done to turn your team around is fantastic. Really happy for your success, hopefully there's more to come.

BroadwayJay*

I'm a Ducks fan and I'll be making my way out to Long Island to catch the game on Saturday and to pay my respects to the Coliseum before your club moves to Brooklyn. I'm looking forward to watching a game with a real hockey crowd in one of the last old school buildings in the league. I would love to get some advice from you guys:

--Concessions. We're sitting in the upper level, where's the best place to grab a bite and a beer? As this is the one and only time visiting the Coliseum what's the one thing I have to eat?

Best place? Somewhere else. Food at the Coli is horrible.

--Nearby bars. I desperately want to get a drink at bar where actual, several generations raises, knowledgeable hockey fans congregate. I live in perhaps the least hockey-centric part of North America that actually has an NHL team. I get shushed at the Pond for being too loud and I've had three different people ask me why I have a Todd Marchant jersey even though he plays for the Bruins. Seriously. I need to interact with real hockey fans on this trip.

This is an easy one because there is only one option: the Marriot. Good news is there is a shot that an NHL player will show up.

--Friends or foes? How are visiting fans treated? My experience in other buildings have been great since the Ducks don't have much of an obnoxious following abroad. Like I said I get shushed for being loud so I'm a passionate fan but I don't want to draw any negative attention sitting with my pregnant wife but I also don't want to be a statue either. I think it's the dumbest thing ever to haze fans of the home team in their building but I also understand hazing to visitors comes with territory. Just want to make sure I can wear my jersey and cheer my team on not have a beer dumped on me (such is the risk of catching a game in LA). If Wings and Rangers fans can show respect I have no doubt Islanders fan do too.

You'll be fine. Just don't act like an ******* and you'll be totally fine.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I can't wait for Saturday. And congrats on the great season. I'm going to make a friend of my eat some serious crow in a couple of weeks because I assured him that the Isles would be one the top-three teams in the Metro before the season. I think the work Snow has done to turn your team around is fantastic. Really happy for your success, hopefully there's more to come.

Thanks. Enjoy your visit.

The most important question, which you did not ask, is "how do you get there?". Where are you staying? If it is in the city, be prepared for a bit of an adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Forget eating at the game, food is horrible. There is a Marriott directly across from the Coli. Champions sports bar inside hotel is where you will find the biggest gathering of fans. Get there early. Evening games the place has been getting packed before 4:30 don't know about the matinees.

As long as you are not a complete jackass you will find Islander fans to be very tolerant and or cordial to visitors.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Best place? Somewhere else. Food at the Coli is horrible.

This is an easy one because there is only one option: the Marriot. Good news is there is a shot that an NHL player will show up.

You'll be fine. Just don't act like an ******* and you'll be totally fine.

Thanks. Enjoy your visit.

The most important question, which you did not ask, is "how do you get there?". Where are you staying? If it is in the city, be prepared for a bit of an adventure.

Thanks for the feedback! As for your last question that's all covered. Staying with my wife's cousin on Long Island who has been to a few games (not a big hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination otherwise I would have consulted her on all of these points) so she's in charge of getting there.

How many Ducks fans show up when we're in town? I can't imagine it's a lot. When I saw the Ducks at the Joe a few years ago there was like eight Ducks fans total in the building and we constituted half of them. A fair number of Islander fans pop up at the Pond but then again we get a lot of visiting fans just about every night.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Thanks for the feedback! As for your last question that's all covered. Staying with my wife's cousin on Long Island who has been to a few games (not a big hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination otherwise I would have consulted her on all of these points) so she's in charge of getting there.

How many Ducks fans show up when we're in town? I can't imagine it's a lot. When I saw the Ducks at the Joe a few years ago there was like eight Ducks fans total in the building and we constituted half of them. A fair number of Islander fans pop up at the Pond but then again we get a lot of visiting fans just about every night.

If you have a car there are plenty of restaurants/bars with in a 10 minute drive. There will be some duck fans there we usually get a few of any visiting team.

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
Hey guys!

So I'm bringing some red wings fans friends of mine to one of the last games at the coliseum. I'm also bringing a bunch of people that have been to a hockey game maybe one or twice in their entire lives. I wanted show them an old school islander experience before its too late.

So I've never actually tailgated at the coliseum before... Does anyone know the rules? Thanks for all the help!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hey guys!

So I'm bringing some red wings fans friends of mine to one of the last games at the coliseum. I'm also bringing a bunch of people that have been to a hockey game maybe one or twice in their entire lives. I wanted show them an old school islander experience before its too late.

So I've never actually tailgated at the coliseum before... Does anyone know the rules? Thanks for all the help!

Show up in a Rangers jersey, burn an American flag and call everyone Joey Buttafucco in a fake Long Island accent. You'll be fine.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys!

The rules? the rules are -- THEY'RE AINT NO RULES!

641988c9ec3dac3e13f2d9926f7332b4.jpg

Dont advertise you are drinking --- use solo cups-- and you'll be fine. I really dont ever recall any patrols around, so unless you start a bonfire in the parking lot, nobody will care.

Youll blend right in. If you have a weak bladder -- you can park close to the Marriott and use their bathrooms.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Its a 1pm game - probably more kids than anything. I will have about 30 5-8 year olds at the game for both my kids' birthdays. They can be a rough bunch. Stay away from section 330 if you know what's good for you!

If you cheer for your team respectfully, you'll be fine. If you turn around after the Ducks have scored and scream "SUCK IT!" to all the fans behind you....you'll probably also be fine, but not 100% sure.

As others have said, go to the Marriott before the game for drinks and mediocre food. You can park there as well. Same price but quicker in/quicker out.

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
The rules? the rules are -- THEY'RE AINT NO RULES!

641988c9ec3dac3e13f2d9926f7332b4.jpg

Dont advertise you are drinking --- use solo cups-- and you'll be fine. I really dont ever recall any patrols around, so unless you start a bonfire in the parking lot, nobody will care.

Youll blend right in. If you have a weak bladder -- you can park close to the Marriott and use their bathrooms.

Thanks Bones!

Parking near the marriot is a good pro tip. How early do you think I'm allowed to get there?

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Its a 1pm game - probably more kids than anything. I will have about 30 5-8 year olds at the game for both my kids' birthdays. They can be a rough bunch. Stay away from section 330 if you know what's good for you!

If you cheer for your team respectfully, you'll be fine. If you turn around after the Ducks have scored and scream "SUCK IT!" to all the fans behind you....you'll probably also be fine, but not 100% sure.

As others have said, go to the Marriott before the game for drinks and mediocre food. You can park there as well. Same price but quicker in/quicker out.

Shhhhhh!!!

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
There's no sub shop or anything like that close by?

My family's pre-game meal is always at Frantoni's Pizzeria & Ristorante, located like a half-mile or so from the coliseum.

I either get a panini or pizza, and the food is very good (and cheap, by Manhattan standards).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad