Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I live in NYC and usually go to westbury. its close to the coli, not in a very sketchy area, and theres a cab company right at the station with cars waiting to go to the game. with two people the cab ride was around $16

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Just scored my tixx for my "Guy's Weekend" with my father and bro-in-law who are coming up from FL for the March 13th and 14th games vs OTT and MTL.

Going to be a great beer drinkin', Canada hatin' ;) weekend.

Any opinions on the Hilton Garden Inn's in the area? (my sis works for one and we get discounts)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Hi all, my awesome wife bought me tickets for the Isles at the coliseum so I could see a game in the old barn before they move. (been a fan since the late 70's).
Seeing the Sens and Habs on March 13th & 14th. Got a Habs fan buddy coming with, so I hope we can finally beat them.
I've read through the visitor FAQ and looking for more of an opinion of where to stay. Would like to stay at the Marriot for convenience, but don't like the price and I'm reading not much to do around there?
As no wives are coming, shopping/shows are not on the agenda, wouldn't mind doing some site seeing though.
So my question is, should I stay by the coliseum and travel into the city during the day to do stuff, or stay in closer to the city and travel to the games? I would be using public transit/cabs.
I don't mind paying for a nice room but 200+ for the Marriot seems excessive.
Also I'd probably want to fly into LaGuardia or JFK, right?
Thanks for any replies.

Bob
There is nothing to see on Long Island in the Winter other than the Islanders. I'm not even joking.

Get a hotel in Queens or NYC. Queens may not be good if you are forced to rent a car (mainly by the airports). Still you could always get a cab to the nearest subway to Manhattan. Also Brooklyn close to the Barclays Center would work perfect for you. Next year too!!
Take the LIRR to the game. Either Hempstead or Westbury.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Just scored my tixx for my "Guy's Weekend" with my father and bro-in-law who are coming up from FL for the March 13th and 14th games vs OTT and MTL.

Going to be a great beer drinkin', Canada hatin' ;) weekend.

Any opinions on the Hilton Garden Inn's in the area? (my sis works for one and we get discounts)

The one in Westbury is less than 5 minutes from the Coliseum. Roosevelt Field and all that stuff is right down the road. Easy access to Meadowbrook and Northern State.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
What would you suggest? I am planning to take my 7 year old to his first and probably last game at the NVMC. We are going on a budget (but, I'm more flexible because of the circumstances). I found seats within my budget in row F of 338 and row P of 321, among others. I'm trying to decide between those 2. Section 321 is a terrific place to watch the game, but I am concerned about row P. Please advise!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What would you suggest? I am planning to take my 7 year old to his first and probably last game at the NVMC. We are going on a budget (but, I'm more flexible because of the circumstances). I found seats within my budget in row F of 338 and row P of 321, among others. I'm trying to decide between those 2. Section 321 is a terrific place to watch the game, but I am concerned about row P. Please advise!

I was in row O in 305 (basically on the other side from where you're looking) last night, had no issues.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I sit in 338 row G and I love my seat location. Strong recommendation for 338.:thumbu:

masa90

Jul 4, 2014
Visited the stadium in the Rangers game, loved it !
Ok the special game might added to the experience but the athmosphere was really good !

TXNYI

Dec 30, 2005
Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Had a great first ever visit to the Coliseum, catching both the win vs the Rangers and the loss vs the Bruins.

Took the advice to catch LIRR to Mineola and that worked out fine, catching cabs from the cab stand there to the Marriott. Fare was $17....a little pricey, but was just happy to make it there from the city given the winter storm. We just stayed at the Marriott on game nights to make things easier and it worked out nicely. Didn't see any players at the hotel except for the Rangers' Zuccarello, who must have been staying on our floor as he was leaving when we were arriving.

Atmosphere at the Isles/Rangers was amazing. Especially loved the "YOU CAN'T BEAT US" chants during the end of the game. After the game we decided to head over to the parking tunnel (roughly about where 330 section is, but outside the arena) to see if we could get some player autographs. I bought a Tavares jersey at the Team Store earlier - with the 43 years patch included on the shoulder - and was hoping to get it signed. It was damn cold out (I think in the teens, but colder with the wind) but we stood out there for a while with maybe a dozen other fans.

It took a while, but eventually a few players started driving by. Some honked and others just drove by. Then Strait stopped his truck, got out and signed for people. Got him to sign my program. Then later had Hamonic, Boychuk, Grabner, and Halak all do the same as they stopped their vehicles to sign. Halak was still steaming from letting that Rangers goal in at the end of the game to deny the shutout. Grabs also posed for a pic. Butch Goring walked by and I got him to sign as well. Then Tavares stopped and I got him to sign my jersey! Hell of a souvenir.

Walked to Borrelli's before the Bruins game and had a really good Italian meal. Definitely recommend that place, but walking there not recommended after snow. It is a short enough walk from the Marriott, but the walk path was covered with snow so we basically had to walk just a foot away from the cars entering the freeway. We cabbed it back to the Marriott before the game as it was dark out then. Game vs the Bruins was fun, but would've been better with the victory. At least we tied the Bruins in the second and made it exciting until they pulled away.

What was said about the Coliseum bathrooms were definitely true....LOOONG lines. I missed some of the 2nd period (and a goal) during the Rangers game waiting in line to use the restroom, so plan accordingly. Seats in the 200's for the Rangers game were amazing. And the Bruins game seats in the 300's were good also. Looks like you can't go wrong with most seats in the Coliseum. And the Isles fans around us were great....high fives, offering to buy beers, etc.

So, all-in-all a great trip. Spent the other days in the city and lucked out that the 2-3 feet of snow didn't materialize there or I would have been out-of-luck getting to the Isles games. But, it worked out.

OsloBladeIslander

Aug 5, 2011
Oslo
Hi guys!
As my username indicates, a Norwegian Isles fan here. On this Sunday I will be attending my first ever live Isles match. This will be my first time in the States. I will also attend the three other home games next week! It is finally time for my sacred pilgrimage to the holy land of the New York Islanders. :) I really can't wait. Eight nights in New York, seven hockey matches - I'll also attend two Devils and one Rangers match while I'm over there.
Two questions for you:
1) Are there any bars close to the Westbury train station in case I need to kill some time waiting for my train back to Manhattan?
2) It has been stated before that it is not possible to walk between Westbury and the Coliseum, and I see on google maps that it is estimated to be an hour long walk, so what I'm wondering is - When people say it is not possible to walk, is it A) because of the distance in itself, since most people tend to be a little lazy ;-), or is it B) because it is not actually possible to walk along the route between Westbury and Coliseum?
I am a fit guy, and it would be nice with some physical activity in between all the hockey watching and beer drinking!
Cheers!

bmg97

Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys!
As my username indicates, a Norwegian Isles fan here. On this Sunday I will be attending my first ever live Isles match. This will be my first time in the States. I will also attend the three other home games next week! It is finally time for my sacred pilgrimage to the holy land of the New York Islanders. :) I really can't wait. Eight nights in New York, seven hockey matches - I'll also attend two Devils and one Rangers match while I'm over there.
Two questions for you:
1) Are there any bars close to the Westbury train station in case I need to kill some time waiting for my train back to Manhattan?
2) It has been stated before that it is not possible to walk between Westbury and the Coliseum, and I see on google maps that it is estimated to be an hour long walk, so what I'm wondering is - When people say it is not possible to walk, is it A) because of the distance in itself, since most people tend to be a little lazy ;-), or is it B) because it is not actually possible to walk along the route between Westbury and Coliseum?
I am a fit guy, and it would be nice with some physical activity in between all the hockey watching and beer drinking!
Cheers!

Since you are Norwegian, Ill help :yo:

I don't think there are any bars near the Westbury train station that you would "fit in" with. Those area bars are mostly spanish. You may be better off near Carl Place bars.

You could walk to the Coliseum if you wanted to. Actually, you could stop at Buffalo Wild Wings on your way and have a beer while you are killing time. If you walked up post avenue from the train station, over old country road, on to merrick ave, and took that up about 2 miles the rink would be on your right. Its dangerous to walk over there as you would have to pass a ton of traffic to try and get to the rink from merrick. It is totally possible though.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
If you want to walk from the station to the arena it's possible. I think most of us just don't want to waste an hour walking from the station in cold weather which is why we always recommend taking a quick cab ride.

As for the first question I really don't know.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Since you are Norwegian, Ill help :yo:

I don't think there are any bars near the Westbury train station that you would "fit in" with. Those area bars are mostly spanish. You may be better off near Carl Place bars.

You could walk to the Coliseum if you wanted to. Actually, you could stop at Buffalo Wild Wings on your way and have a beer while you are killing time. If you walked up post avenue from the train station, over old country road, on to merrick ave, and took that up about 2 miles the rink would be on your right. Its dangerous to walk over there as you would have to pass a ton of traffic to try and get to the rink from merrick. It is totally possible though.

I'm pretty sure there's a some what new bike/pedestrian path that connects Eisenhower park across Merrick ave down to Hofstra.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Hi guys!
Two questions for you:
Cheers!

Not many people want to walk an hour each way. Besides, the sidewalks are covered with snow at this time. If you want to make that walk, you will be walking on the road part of the way. Not the safest thing, but it is possible.

Canz is a sports bar about a half mile from the Westbury station. TGI Fridays is about a quarter mile further, and Buffalo Wild Wings is a bit further (now you're a mile from the station). A block from the station is Alfredo's Pizza. Not actually a bar but they sell beer (and good pizza), though after the game you might be the only one there. Also a block from the station is Chi, a fancy restaurant with a nice bar. There's also Winner's Circle, a latin dance club near the station. Probably not what you're looking for.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
If you want to walk, I think Mineola or Carle Place may be a shorting distance from the coliseum.

OsloBladeIslander

Aug 5, 2011
Oslo
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :)
Yeah I can totally understand that walking is not the preferred option for you guys. I don't usually walk an hour each way here in Norway. ;-)

From my internet research it seems that there is a better bar scene around Mineola compared to Westbury!? Is the cab fare pretty much the same from these stations, or is there a big difference?

bmg97

Jul 8, 2011
Mineola is about 3 miles further from the rink. A cab should cost $20.00 or less. Bars are much better there. You could just stay at the Marriott and walk 300 feet to the rink.

mikethegoalie32

Nov 26, 2008
Getting to the Island by not driving...

Hey,

6 Canadian lads are visiting NYC this weekend. We were originally going to drive, but now were at 6 so don't want to take 2 cars. What is the best and cheapest way to get to the Islanders game tomorrow night? We are staying around 57th and 9th in NYC...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

BroadwayJay*

Hey,

6 Canadian lads are visiting NYC this weekend. We were originally going to drive, but now were at 6 so don't want to take 2 cars. What is the best and cheapest way to get to the Islanders game tomorrow night? We are staying around 57th and 9th in NYC...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Take the LIRR from Penn Station at 33d and 8th to Mineola or one of the other nearby stations, and take two cabs.

Getting back might be a struggle to find a cab who doesn't gouge you. Try Uber. Might be your best bet back tot he LIRR.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'd look into calling a car service and/or uber and getting van that will fit all of you. It'll be around $100 one way from midtown but that's less than 20 bucks a head. You can arrange to have them pick you up at the hotel near the coliseum after the game. For around $35 per person you'll get hassle free, roundtrip, door to door service.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Unless you are driving a hummer, taking two cars may be your cheapest bet.

Public transportation in NY and Long Island can be very expensive depending on how much you use it. Especially if you plan on taking Amtrak from Canada.

And plus, you get to be within the comfort of your own vehicles!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
A canoe going down the St.Lawrence river, down through the Hudson though Lake Champlain is treacherous, make a quick left once you smell Staten Island, park in Oceanside.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
My thought would be LIRR to Westbury LIRR station.

Plenty o cabs there waiting.. pile in and its just a couple of miles down Post Ave.

Grab the card of the driver.. and give a call about 1/2 hour before you wanna leave the Coli.

Tell them to pick u guys up at marriott. Just make sure to know the return trip times for train back to NYC.

If return trips are hard to come by, just have cab(s) drive you to Hicksville to catch the next westbound train.

mikethegoalie32

Nov 26, 2008
A canoe going down the St.Lawrence river, down through the Hudson though Lake Champlain is treacherous, make a quick left once you smell Staten Island, park in Oceanside.

This will do...

Thanks everyone.

Side note, anything we must see or do in Long Island other than the Isles game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad