Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Hi all, my awesome wife bought me tickets for the Isles at the coliseum so I could see a game in the old barn before they move. (been a fan since the late 70's).
Seeing the Sens and Habs on March 13th & 14th. Got a Habs fan buddy coming with, so I hope we can finally beat them.
I've read through the visitor FAQ and looking for more of an opinion of where to stay. Would like to stay at the Marriot for convenience, but don't like the price and I'm reading not much to do around there?
As no wives are coming, shopping/shows are not on the agenda, wouldn't mind doing some site seeing though.
So my question is, should I stay by the coliseum and travel into the city during the day to do stuff, or stay in closer to the city and travel to the games? I would be using public transit/cabs.
I don't mind paying for a nice room but 200+ for the Marriot seems excessive.
Also I'd probably want to fly into LaGuardia or JFK, right?

Thanks for any replies.

Bob

Shop around you can do better in terms of pricing for a room.

JFK or LGA are fine airports to fly into. If you don't mind going out of the way, Long Island Islip (MacArthur Airport) is good too and not near as busy, again shop around for best airline price.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Hi all, my awesome wife bought me tickets for the Isles at the coliseum so I could see a game in the old barn before they move. (been a fan since the late 70's).
Seeing the Sens and Habs on March 13th & 14th. Got a Habs fan buddy coming with, so I hope we can finally beat them.
I've read through the visitor FAQ and looking for more of an opinion of where to stay. Would like to stay at the Marriot for convenience, but don't like the price and I'm reading not much to do around there?
As no wives are coming, shopping/shows are not on the agenda, wouldn't mind doing some site seeing though.
So my question is, should I stay by the coliseum and travel into the city during the day to do stuff, or stay in closer to the city and travel to the games? I would be using public transit/cabs.
I don't mind paying for a nice room but 200+ for the Marriot seems excessive.
Also I'd probably want to fly into LaGuardia or JFK, right?
Thanks for any replies.

Bob

There's no sightseeing on LI and nothing to do. Fly into JFK/LGA and stay in NYC and train it out to the game - you'll need to cab it the rest of the way.

For a room in nyc, check airbnb instead of a hotel - you'll be able to get something of good value and be in NYC. The hotels by the airports are pretty dumpy so spend the extra $ and go into NYC.

TXNYI

Dec 30, 2005
Looks like I'm all set to catch my first ever (and last ever) games at the Coliseum: Rangers & Bruins games next week. Got Rangers seats in the center 200s and Bruins seats in the corner 300s based on the input I found in this thread.

Couple of questions:

1. Got some good ideas for restaurants near NVMC in this thread, but some posts are pretty old. Any new places anyone recommend besides Vincent's, Borrelli's, Miller's, etc.? Or are those still the best spots?

2. Sounds like visiting teams mostly stay at the Marriott and sometimes in Garden City. Anyone know if the Bruins typically stay at the Marriott? And I assume the Rangers just travel in for the day and don't stay overnight, is that correct? Not an autograph hound at all, but would be cool to potentially see the players at the hotel.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Looks like I'm all set to catch my first ever (and last ever) games at the Coliseum: Rangers & Bruins games next week. Got Rangers seats in the center 200s and Bruins seats in the corner 300s based on the input I found in this thread.

Couple of questions:

1. Got some good ideas for restaurants near NVMC in this thread, but some posts are pretty old. Any new places anyone recommend besides Vincent's, Borrelli's, Miller's, etc.? Or are those still the best spots?

2. Sounds like visiting teams mostly stay at the Marriott and sometimes in Garden City. Anyone know if the Bruins typically stay at the Marriott? And I assume the Rangers just travel in for the day and don't stay overnight, is that correct? Not an autograph hound at all, but would be cool to potentially see the players at the hotel.

1- Yeah those are pretty much still the best spots. Hurricane wings and a buffalo wild wings opened up fairly close.

Can't really help ya with the other Q

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
Hey guys, excited because I just bought my tickets for my first game at the Coliseum in about 5 years. (Living a thousand miles away tends to cut down on impulse buys.) Now back when I was growing up and my family had season tickets, and even in later years when I had a car during visits, I never worried about mass transit, but this time I'm staying in the City.

Was planning on taking the train from Penn Station to Mineola. My only question is whether there's a cab company right near the station that can take us to the Coliseum or whether I'd need to call someone to come get us. If so, any recommendations for reliable?

Boyks

Dec 14, 2010
Shop around you can do better in terms of pricing for a room.

JFK or LGA are fine airports to fly into. If you don't mind going out of the way, Long Island Islip (MacArthur Airport) is good too and not near as busy, again shop around for best airline price.

So still working on this, thanks for the replies so far. Trying to do the trip on reward miles, which has us flying into Newark. Looks like quite a jaunt out to the coliseum area from there? Cab/shuttle going to be $100 or more, is that right? 2 hours on public transit according to Google maps? Any suggestions here besides using the other airports?

Like maybe a cab to NY Penn Station and LIRR/bus from there?

Where does everyone like to meet before games? I want to drag my Buddy Habs fan into the belly of the beast.

Bob

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
Hey guys, excited because I just bought my tickets for my first game at the Coliseum in about 5 years. (Living a thousand miles away tends to cut down on impulse buys.) Now back when I was growing up and my family had season tickets, and even in later years when I had a car during visits, I never worried about mass transit, but this time I'm staying in the City.

Was planning on taking the train from Penn Station to Mineola. My only question is whether there's a cab company right near the station that can take us to the Coliseum or whether I'd need to call someone to come get us. If so, any recommendations for reliable?

There are always plenty of cabs at both the Mineola and Westbury stations. No need to call ahead. Hempstead too, but don't take the train there if you can avoid it. The area stinks, and the line is a local that takes forever from the city.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So still working on this, thanks for the replies so far. Trying to do the trip on reward miles, which has us flying into Newark. Looks like quite a jaunt out to the coliseum area from there? Cab/shuttle going to be $100 or more, is that right? 2 hours on public transit according to Google maps? Any suggestions here besides using the other airports?

Where does everyone like to meet before games? I want to drag my Buddy Habs fan into the belly of the beast.

Bob

IF you are flying into EWR you are better renting a car. The trains and cabs will run you way more than $100.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Bob

Newark to Coli can be a trek via Mass transit. Youd have to look into the jersey side as I know nothing about that.

You can train into Penn Station (Penn Station is one station which houses Amtrak, LIRR, and NJ Transit, along with several subway lines. Its big, right under MSG).

Once you get to Penn, take a train to WESTBURY. Cabs are right there and you can grab a ride right down Post Ave, to the Coliseum. Google map it so you are more familiar with where you are going. Makes for less travel anxiety. :)

I would think you'd need a beer at this point. Have the cab bring you to the Marriott where you will eat and drink as needed. Walk to arena.

There is a nicer restaurant there, but the real sports fans/deviants eat and drink at Champions. Food isn't great (how can you make horrible chicken fingers), but the beer is cold and the ambiance is good. Filled with fans.

Boyks

Dec 14, 2010
Newark to Coli can be a trek via Mass transit. Youd have to look into the jersey side as I know nothing about that.

You can train into Penn Station (Penn Station is one station which houses Amtrak, LIRR, and NJ Transit, along with several subway lines. Its big, right under MSG).

Once you get to Penn, take a train to WESTBURY. Cabs are right there and you can grab a ride right down Post Ave, to the Coliseum. Google map it so you are more familiar with where you are going. Makes for less travel anxiety. :)

I would think you'd need a beer at this point. Have the cab bring you to the Marriott where you will eat and drink as needed. Walk to arena.

There is a nicer restaurant there, but the real sports fans/deviants eat and drink at Champions. Food isn't great (how can you make horrible chicken fingers), but the beer is cold and the ambiance is good. Filled with fans.

Thanks, I called the hotel I'm going to try to book into and they have ground transportation they recommend, $45 from LGA or JFK and $130 + tolls from Newark, so will try harder to get into LaGaurdia. Will hit Champions pregame although I want to get into the coliseum early for one of the games to have a look around the old barn and take some pics.
Doors open at the coliseum an hour before puckdrop?

Bob

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thanks, I called the hotel I'm going to try to book into and they have ground transportation they recommend, $45 from LGA or JFK and $130 + tolls from Newark, so will try harder to get into LaGaurdia. Will hit Champions pregame although I want to get into the coliseum early for one of the games to have a look around the old barn and take some pics.
Doors open at the coliseum an hour before puckdrop?

Bob

I believe for a 7pm game, doors at 5:30 --- but I would have someone confirm that -- haven't be THAT early for a game a long time.

I think there are some eats available in the lower concourse of the Coli -- sit down type of place --- down the escalators to the right of the box office, though I have never eaten there.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Bob

Will you be going directly from EWR to the Coli? If so, that's not a very good option. But, if you will be checking into your hotel first, Flying into EWR is basically as good as the others. You can take NJ Transit from the airport to Penn Station and then either take a cab or subway to your hotel.

Just curious - where are you staying? Its always best to have a hotel towards the West side as its much easier to get to Penn Station. But, avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania at all costs. For some reason, people want to stay near Penn Station. No reason to do that and I've heard nothing but awful reviews of that place.

And, as others have said, just take the LIRR to either Mineola or Westbury. Its a pleasant enough ride and you can drink on the train.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Will you be going directly from EWR to the Coli? If so, that's not a very good option. But, if you will be checking into your hotel first, Flying into EWR is basically as good as the others. You can take NJ Transit from the airport to Penn Station and then either take a cab or subway to your hotel.

Just curious - where are you staying? Its always best to have a hotel towards the West side as its much easier to get to Penn Station. But, avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania at all costs. For some reason, people want to stay near Penn Station. No reason to do that and I've heard nothing but awful reviews of that place.

And, as others have said, just take the LIRR to either Mineola or Westbury. Its a pleasant enough ride and you can drink on the train.

Stay at the Hilton and/or doubletree on 28th or 27th street - can't remember the exact location. Both in 5-10 minute walk of penn station and an area that has some cool restaurants and bars.

chiefy2404

Jan 22, 2015
Seating question

I bought tickets for the Bruins/Islanders game next week & the info I got is the seats are in section 115, row B, seats 14-15

Are these 2nd row from the glass, right behind the Bruins or something else? Ive never been to the arena and have no idea whereabouts Im looking at

Boyks

Dec 14, 2010

I will be coming in Thursday and heading to the hotel, games I'm seeing are Friday and Saturday night. I was looking at the Hampton Inn in Garden City, fairly close to the coliseum. Two reasons for this, I can use my reward points there and we thought we would take the LIRR into the city in the daytime to do stuff as opposed to taking it back to the hotel after the game (10-11 pm) if we stayed in NYC.

Nothing actually booked yet, still gathering info.

Bob

BroadwayJay*

I will be coming in Thursday and heading to the hotel, games I'm seeing are Friday and Saturday night. I was looking at the Hampton Inn in Garden City, fairly close to the coliseum. Two reasons for this, I can use my reward points there and we thought we would take the LIRR into the city in the daytime to do stuff as opposed to taking it back to the hotel after the game (10-11 pm) if we stayed in NYC.

Bob

As a city dweller, I can assure you that it is fun to pick up a few beers at the train station in Mineola and drinking them on the way back ESPECIALLY when a Canadian road team is in town. I have, on separate occasions, made friends with a Canadian fan and grabbed a couple beers at a bar when we got to Penn Station.

The worst part is getting a car back after the game. If you can get one of the posters here to give you a ride to the station that would be ideal for you probably.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I bought tickets for the Bruins/Islanders game next week & the info I got is the seats are in section 115, row B, seats 14-15

Are these 2nd row from the glass, right behind the Bruins or something else? Ive never been to the arena and have no idea whereabouts Im looking at

They have this new invention called seat viewer. Might be able to help.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Bob

I sound like a broken record, but you will find yourself rather bored and lonely staying on LI. You can use HH points at plenty of NYC hotels. Take a cab into NYC when you arrive, spend the am enjoying NYC and then head out to the game at 5ish via LIRR. Taking the train back at night might not be that glamorous, but when you wake up in the am you have nyc all to yourself again. Repeat.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm heading up with my family to the Coliseum on the 28th for the Ducks game. I'd meet up with some people here, but I really don't like any of you.

Boyks

Dec 14, 2010
Well got the trip booked, managed to get flights into LaGuardia, leaving earlier than I wanted on Sunday as I plan to celebrate a victory over the Habs on Saturday night, but it was the best we could do. We are staying out by the coliseum. I appreciate the advice to stay in the city, but we felt more comfortable being close to the coliseum for travel after the game, and I was limited to a point as I used my Air Miles for the room. I want to venture into the city via the LIRR one day just to look around and do lunch, we'll see.
Will touch base before the games to see where the pregame festivities will be. Thanks for all the help/advice.

Bob

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
OT: NYC to NVMC

I'm hoping someone can tell me the best way to get to NVMC for a game from NYC. When I lived in NJ i used to drive to games. Now I live in FL and I'm coming up for the last game but I'll be staying in NYC. Is there convenient public transportation?

Thanks for any advice!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm hoping someone can tell me the best way to get to NVMC for a game from NYC. When I lived in NJ i used to drive to games. Now I live in FL and I'm coming up for the last game but I'll be staying in NYC. Is there convenient public transportation?

Thanks for any advice!

LIRR to Westbury or Mineola and then a short cab ride. Not ideal, but not terrible. There should be cabs waiting outside the Coliseum for the reverse trip.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
LIRR to Westbury or Mineola and then a short cab ride. Not ideal, but not terrible. There should be cabs waiting outside the Coliseum for the reverse trip.

I think we have a thread for this already, but yeah this is the best way. On your way out, look for people with Isles sweaters on... see if any people want to split the cab ride to the Coliseum. After the game, head down to the hotel. Lots of people down there. See if anyone wants to split the cab back to the station. Save yourself a few bucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad