Confirmed with Link: Nashville trade Bonino, picks 37 and 70 to Minnesota for Luke Kunin and pick 101

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Who does that leave us at C now? Joey, Duchene, Sissons, and... what, Gaudreau? Or are we moving Jarnkrok back?

I'M SO CONFUSED :scared:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hate it that we had to give up 37 but Poile obviously trying to figure out how to make things work with this core

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think we might expose Duchene

Yeah, it's possible that Duchene or Johansen is exposed. Whichever one has a worse season, unless they both just blow the doors off. Either we shed salary that way, or Seattle is scared to take on the contract.

And if Kunin sucks then expose him and it's really no loss since Bonino would have been expiring anyway.

Maybe Ellis sucks, we go with 7+3 and expose Ellis instead. There's so much that can happen this season before making a good determination on which way to go.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Joey - Duchene - Kunin - Sissons. We're light on wings.
As I understand it, Kunin's not a center.

Frankly, given how desperate Minnesota is for centers of, like, any quality whatsoever, if Kunin was decent at the pivot they wouldn't have traded him. Seriously - right now their top two centers up there are Marcus Johansson and the guy we just sent to them!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Kunin has a lot of untapped potential, hopefully we're able to give him a good, scoring role. He's a former 1st round pick. Also, from what I've heard, he's a character guy and a good leader. That's the type of players we need in our locker room.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Saw someone say Kunin is a "finisher" but not much else... with all the "pass first" guys we have, a finisher is exactly what we need

TK

Feb 26, 2019
From what I see on twitter the analytics people hate Kunin. Do with that what you will.

He's a 22 year old goal scorer that was played in a defensive role. Wouldn't pay too much attention to the advanced stats. That's assuming the Preds coaching staff uses him the correct way, which is a tall order these days

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If he's good he might be gone in the expansion draft.

This is why I think this is an odd trade. If we're not going to compete next year, we could've really filled the cupboard with these draft picks we gave away + the ones we could've had for Bonino.

Now, we're in a vulnerable position with the expansion draft and could lose Kunin as soon as next summer & end up with nothing.

If we're not going to compete next season, the appropriate moves would've been Bonino for picks and the Turris & Santini buyouts.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
From what I see on twitter the analytics people hate Kunin. Do with that what you will.

From what I've seen on twitter, I hate the analytics people... I'll recall a post I made last year which spells out the shortcomings of fanside analytics:

From the fantastic book "23 to Win"...

https://23towin.com/

Coaches don't want to be shown a breakdown or a mistake -- they can see these for themselves. They want to know why it happened and how to prevent it happening again. They want a report telling them that x percent of the team's zone entries were controlled entries, and that if the rate is subpar, the contributing factors are, for example, that opposing defenses are gapping up against the team's forwards, that the team is not making enough forward passes through the neutral zone, or that the team's not driving up through the neutral zone with enough speed. The goal is to find and exploit flaws in an opponent's system and execution, or to identify and correct deficiencies in a team's own play.

Typically, coaches will be interested in scoring-chance metrics first, followed by puck possession metrics and then the myriad of measurements underlying them, such as battles won or lost ..... the advantage will fall to those who can sense which metrics and trends are important ..... who can then identify and interpret which of them is actionable, and who can communicate - in hockey language - what the data means to coaches and players grounded in the reality and intensity of on-ice competition

Which to me, spells it out pretty clearly that the most important aspect of hockey is the eye-test, and the analytics is the supporting foundation below that. Neither is optimal without the other, nor without someone who knows what the numbers mean and how it translates to what the players are doing on the ice.

Analytics aren't really for fans, there's not really anything useful we can do with them outside of annoying one another. They're certainly not predictive and hardly descriptive either without that human element, the coaches mind and eye-test, to weigh them with and against.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
From what I've seen on twitter, I hate the analytics people... I'll recall a post I made last year which spells out the shortcomings of fanside analytics:

From the fantastic book "23 to Win"...

https://23towin.com/

Which to me, spells it out pretty clearly that the most important aspect of hockey is the eye-test, and the analytics is the supporting foundation below that. Neither is optimal without the other, nor without someone who knows what the numbers mean and how it translates to what the players are doing on the ice.

Analytics aren't really for fans, there's not really anything useful we can do with them outside of annoying one another. They're certainly not predictive and hardly descriptive either without that human element, the coaches mind and eye-test, to weigh them with and against.

I'm with you on this. I really don't like analytics and especially not the twitter experts but just thought it was worth pointing out.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
People don't want to hear it but I think we go 7-3-1 and leave Ekholm unprotected. He's going to be in the last year of his deal and he's going to be 31. A lot like Neal, still a good player but not somebody we're likely to keep long term. Maybe trade him if things go south and get a pick or two.

As far as Kunin, scored half a point a game last year with the second lowest offensive zone start percentage on the team. That bodes well for a bump in production if we put him in a more offensive role.
Ekholm with one year would bring a good deal in trade, you don’t let him walk with a year left.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I'm with you on this. I really don't like analytics and especially not the twitter experts but just thought it was worth pointing out.
if he doesn't impress us w/ the eye test, then the analytics will just confirm what we see.

in all honesty, as much as it's a back and forth with analytics.. the eye test and analytics are usually in sync with each other 90% of the time.

Reactions: Viqsi and LCPreds

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Ekholm with one year would bring a good deal in trade, you don’t let him walk with a year left.

I agree. I don't want to lose Ekholm but I can't see us re-signing him so I really think he's traded prior to the expansion draft. Given what we've done today I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade him in the near future either. He probably will never be more valuable than he is right now given his contract with the flat cap and desire to cut salary across the league.

We will see how things going during free agency but if we don't end up signing anyone else we are not going to be anywhere close to a contender with our current roster so it makes no sense to keep him.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I agree. I don't want to lose Ekholm but I can't see us re-signing him so I really think he's traded prior to the expansion draft. Given what we've done today I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade him in the near future either. He probably will never be more valuable than he is right now given his contract with the flat cap and desire to cut salary across the league.

We will see how things going during free agency but if we don't end up signing anyone else we are not going to be anywhere close to a contender with our current roster so it makes no sense to keep him.

I guess that's the upside from my disappointment with the Askarov pick; with the way the team is built right now, we'll have plenty more chances to pick top-ranked forwards in the draft the next couple of years!

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

we can be a contender if jofa duchene josi Ellis play to their skill and those fat contracts they signed. got to have solid goaltending. the chances of that happening are slim in my mind but there's still a possibility this group wakes the hell up.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think I like the value of this deal. I feel like Kunin for 37 and 70 makes sense or Kunin for Bonino and 70 makes sense but I just feel like we lose based on value as of now. Maybe I'm just underrating Kunin though.
Even if you assume Bonino basically has no value (I don't), is Kunin (and a 4th) worth a 2nd + a 3rd? :confused: Poile must think he's got a bit of untapped potential.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Even if you assume Bonino basically has no value (I don't), is Kunin (and a 4th) worth a 2nd + a 3rd? :confused: Poile must think he's got a bit of untapped potential.

He's 22, 14th overall pick in 2016 and just scored 15 goals in 63 games playing in a defensive role. He actually played tougher minutes than Nick Bonino did last year and still scored 15 even strength goals playing with Eriksson-Ek and Greenway/Foligno. There is very good reason to believe he has untapped potential...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The only answer has to be he has his eye on a couple wingers he has some cap to bring a couple in And Duchene can move back to center,

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He's 22, 14th overall pick in 2016 and just scored 15 goals in 63 games playing in a defensive role. He actually played tougher minutes than Nick Bonino did last year and still scored 15 even strength goals playing with Eriksson-Ek and Greenway/Foligno. There is very good reason to believe he has untapped potential...

I don't mind taking that gamble as much then. Let's see how he does in the top 6 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad