Confirmed with Link: Nashville trade Bonino, picks 37 and 70 to Minnesota for Luke Kunin and pick 101

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If he plays like last season, he'll get more than a 3rd without question. He's a center that can play tough minutes and play them well.

Two time cup winner including a 0.75 P/GP run in 15-16 also helps his deadline value a lot as well. If he keeps up his production from last year a 1st for him at the deadline wouldn't really shock me.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
What were the Twitter Perds fans expecting from him? I thought he was good while he was here. How many times did he save our bacon while playing in the D zone as well? It was more than once.

Guess they thought he was going to be a 2C like Poile was saying when he first signed him.
You hit the nail on the head. Poile trying to hype him as a 2C here did Bonino a disservice.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If he plays like last season, he'll get more than a 3rd without question. He's a center that can play tough minutes and play them well.

Two time cup winner including a 0.75 P/GP run in 15-16 also helps his deadline value a lot as well. If he keeps up his production from last year a 1st for him at the deadline wouldn't really shock me.

At this phase of Bonino’s career and contract, I’m happy to cash in the chips and get a 22-year old Kunin in return. A good (not great) 2 or 3 center rental won’t get a huge deadline deal and expecting him to continue to achieve the best stats of his career is certainly a huge risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Should never have signed him.
Paid him too much.
Too many contract years.
He was a 3C, not a 2C.
Should have let him go at the trade deadline. Should have kept him for this years trade deadline.
Gave up too much to Minn.
Wow, this ain’t easy!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Should never have signed him.
Paid him too much.
Too many contract years.
He was a 3C, not a 2C.
Should have let him go at the trade deadline. Should have kept him for this years trade deadline.
Gave up too much to Minn.
Wow, this ain’t easy!
Was that all sarcastic? :)

Well, I hope Bonino has a great season and signs with us next off-season. We only have 3 centers now instead of 5, so I'd be happy to take him back. For all that I must have somehow complained or criticized just about every player we've ever had at some point, I can't think of any complaint I've ever had about Bonino. Zero maintenance, solid contributor. Couldn't ask for more.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Was that all sarcastic? :)

Well, I hope Bonino has a great season and signs with us next off-season. We only have 3 centers now instead of 5, so I'd be happy to take him back. For all that I must have somehow complained or criticized just about every player we've ever had at some point, I can't think of any complaint I've ever had about Bonino. Zero maintenance, solid contributor. Couldn't ask for more.
Certainly. Loved Bonino!

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
For the nerds out there here's how the David Gosselin saga has played out for us:

Sign David Gosselin as a free agent

Gosselin and 5th for rights to Mann and Belfour

Belfour's rights expire and we gain a 2nd (Weber)

Weber for Subban

Subban for Santini, Davies, '19 2nd, '20 2nd

34th in '19 to Philly for 45(Afanasyev) and 65(Cambell)

Bonino, 37th(Marat Khusnutdinov) and 70th(Traded to Detroit;Eemil Viro) in '20 for Kunin and 101st(Adam Wisby)

Afanasyev, Cambell, Wisby and Kunin are with us now.
What happened to Davies?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Still no contract for Kunin? They must have had multiple discussions. It’s now been a fairly long time

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Still no contract for Kunin? They must have had multiple discussions. It’s now been a fairly long time

I think that's a fair question. Seems like most RFA situations have been settled. Kunin wasn't an arbitration case, so it stands that he has no leverage and should have been easy to just sign at his qualifying offer? Unless I'm looking at this wrong.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
His Twitter profile is a picture of a #11 Preds Kunin jersey, and a tweet about how excited he is to play for the Preds. So maybe it's just a timing issue for him to sign, where he isn't in town or something.

Actually, I wonder if the Preds are delaying it to avoid paying that covid bonus.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
His Twitter profile is a picture of a #11 Preds Kunin jersey, and a tweet about how excited he is to play for the Preds. So maybe it's just a timing issue for him to sign, where he isn't in town or something.

Actually, I wonder if the Preds are delaying it to avoid paying that covid bonus.
I don't think you can avoid paying the covid bonus, can you? But you can delay it. I guess in that sense, even if it's just the interest on 8% of $2M-ish, it's still real money.
:dunno:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I think that's a fair question. Seems like most RFA situations have been settled. Kunin wasn't an arbitration case, so it stands that he has no leverage and should have been easy to just sign at his qualifying offer? Unless I'm looking at this wrong.
No, you’re looking at it right. I believe that he was coming off his ELC and was not eligible for arbitration. I’m not good on dates but I think his qualifying offer was probably from Minnesota, not the Preds. I’m just thinking there is probably a negotiation going on that isn’t going well yet. The power is with the Preds but you certainly don’t want to start off with this guy on the wrong foot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There's no way Vancouver is able to pull that off..
I would never say never. If players can retire due to rashes from their hockey equipment and so on... who knows what they might come up with. And they certainly have several very expendable contracts that they would like to see evaporated (Eriksson, Sutter, Bartschi, etc). So far Tampa can't find takers for players who are still good NHL players, though. So moving true dump contracts must be an even taller order.

Hoffman must have some pretty good assurances, though. He must think they have a way. They must have said something about their intentions. So they must think they might have a way. I mean, you wouldn't sit and wait based on the strength of just looking at their roster on CapFriendly and wondering how they make room, right? That'd be a good way to just totally miss out, and surely no NHL agent would take that chance without some specifics provided. :dunno:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If Vancouver is trying to open up cap I'd still love to see us make a run at Boeser. I'd even take Sutter or Baertschi back if that's what is needed to make it work.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
If Vancouver is trying to open up cap I'd still love to see us make a run at Boeser. I'd even take Sutter or Baertschi back if that's what is needed to make it work.
Surely Vancouver wouldn’t let go of Boeser to pick up Hoffman. I mean, why? Boeser looks to be a rising star and, man, he’s like 23. If Preds could pick him up, wow!

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Surely Vancouver wouldn’t let go of Boeser to pick up Hoffman. I mean, why? Boeser looks to be a rising star and, man, he’s like 23. If Preds could pick him up, wow!

Realistically I doubt it would happen, but there have been rumors about Boeser being moved. Granted those were back before the playoffs started and their situation has changed quite a bit since then. It's really a pipedream, but if Vancouver is looking to clear cap it is something in the realm of possibility.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Realistically I doubt it would happen, but there have been rumors about Boeser being moved. Granted those were back before the playoffs started and their situation has changed quite a bit since then. It's really a pipedream, but if Vancouver is looking to clear cap it is something in the realm of possibility.
It would be super!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I would never say never. If players can retire due to rashes from their hockey equipment and so on... who knows what they might come up with. And they certainly have several very expendable contracts that they would like to see evaporated (Eriksson, Sutter, Bartschi, etc). So far Tampa can't find takers for players who are still good NHL players, though. So moving true dump contracts must be an even taller order.

Hoffman must have some pretty good assurances, though. He must think they have a way. They must have said something about their intentions. So they must think they might have a way. I mean, you wouldn't sit and wait based on the strength of just looking at their roster on CapFriendly and wondering how they make room, right? That'd be a good way to just totally miss out, and surely no NHL agent would take that chance without some specifics provided. :dunno:

Vancouver's going to have to get reaaally creative as there are probably a couple of teams left anymore who can afford to take cap back without having to move any of it themselves. Add Tampa and the Islanders to the mix as well.

If Hoffman isn't willing to take pay cut in order to sign in Vancouver, it just difficult to see them pull it off. Never say never obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad