Confirmed with Link: Nashville trade Bonino, picks 37 and 70 to Minnesota for Luke Kunin and pick 101

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Turris prolly gets to slot into 3C now. I like what i'm reading on Kunin so i'm pretty happy w/ this. Kunin is supposed to have a good shot so if we can get him and Tolvanen potting goals that'll be a huge win for us

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I get it from our perspective as it gives us an NHL ready prospect instead of one a few years out while shedding some salary and somewhat solving our center logjam. Not quite sure I get what Minnesota is going for though.

Edit: Just realized Kunin is a center so guess it doesn't solve that issue. I assume we see him as a winger though?

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Turris prolly gets to slot into 3C now. I like what i'm reading on Kunin so i'm pretty happy w/ this. Kunin is supposed to have a good shot so if we can get him and Tolvanen potting goals that'll be a huge win for us

Does Kunin have any experience playing on the wing? I'm not a huge fan of this move because we are still left with a surplus of centers vying for the 1-2-3 spots. If Kunin can't move to the wing, maybe Sissons gets a shot there but then not sure who our 4C will be.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hate to give up that high 2nd but at least it was for a young, under control asset. Feels like we're trying reverse Fiala-trade with Minny.

Don't hate it, but don't exactly love it either. Would've liked to see use both of those high 2nd's.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Turris gone.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll try to be as cordial as possible but I'm pissed at Guerin for this. I don't know how you guys feel about it. Kunin is a great kid, great character guy. He's a RW, first and foremost. Can play center in a pinch but probably shouldn't. He's not a play driver, but at 22 he paced for 20g and 40 points in a defensive role. Give him offensive middle 6 minutes and don't be surprised if he hits 20-25 goals and 50-55 points. He may not be a star, but he's a really solid RW and he is one of my favorite players. Wish him the best for you guys.

Reactions: maplepred

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Does Kunin have any experience playing on the wing? I'm not a huge fan of this move because we are still left with a surplus of centers vying for the 1-2-3 spots. If Kunin can't move to the wing, maybe Sissons gets a shot there but then not sure who our 4C will be.

Luke Kunin fan here.

The Wild played Kunin on the wing more last season and more as a center this season, but he generally shifts back and forth. Honestly, I like him better as a wing. Good shot, decent wheels, plays with an edge and gets greasy at times. I think skill wise, he'll remind you a lot of Craig Smith as a comparable that's on your team.

My team's GM wanted Kunin in that draft with their second 1st round pick, but Minnesota picked him up. I was hoping they would trade for him but it looks like Nashville won.

I think you guys will like the player and his versatility.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Now don't just give Kunin a 6-year contract. :S

If we can bridge him at a reasonable price, eh, ok, I get it, saves money and gets a much younger everyday asset, but I would've been pretty happy to just keep Bonino, trade him for a pick at the deadline, and keep the 37 pick instead. We'll see if Kunin can win me over, though.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
With Carrier, Allard, Davies, etc..., do we see one of Ellis/Ekholm exposed and protect 7 forwards instead?
Probably depends in part on what happens with the Farrance situation. I could also see us go 7-3-1 and Poile try to make a trade to protect a fourth defenseman.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wow, Poile blowing shit up.

I'm interested to see what happens in free agency. I think most likely we're looking to save cash and retool but we do now have $16 mil of cap space available if we wanted to do something. We still haven't actually moved any core players yet so hard to say we're blowing it up.

In some ways this reminds me of what the Blues did in the 2018 offseason where they shed a lot of depth guys.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Younger player that's probably better than Bonino, but he's also going to be expansion draft eligible. Seems a silly trade to make if Poile is banking on going 4-4-1.

People don't want to hear it but I think we go 7-3-1 and leave Ekholm unprotected. He's going to be in the last year of his deal and he's going to be 31. A lot like Neal, still a good player but not somebody we're likely to keep long term. Maybe trade him if things go south and get a pick or two.

As far as Kunin, scored half a point a game last year with the second lowest offensive zone start percentage on the team. That bodes well for a bump in production if we put him in a more offensive role.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->