Post-Game Talk: Nashville 3 Oilers 0

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Taylor Hall is a top 15 player in the world, maybe the Oilers shouldn't have freaking traded him.

Maybe they should stop doing stupid roster decisions and they might (gasp!) actually for once have a functional roster that can perform and doesn't have monstrous bottlenecks in its production.

But yeah Oilers, go ahead and do the Hall thing to Draisaitl. Blame him for everything and chase him out of town for probably pennies on the dollar. See how well that turned out for this franchise last time.

Maybe for ONCE this franchise can ask itself if its being fair to these players. Is that level of winger depth reasonable to ask Draisaitl to have success with? Was Dubnyk given fair help? Was Schultz? Was Hall? Maybe it's not the freaking players fault.

Drai isn't being asked to carry the team. He's very much second fiddle behind the best player in the galaxy. If he can't produce, hell, if he can't even tread water, then there's a serious problem. Moaning about the stupid Hall or Eberle trades won't fix it.

Reactions: ujju2

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
It's going to be hard for him, I can tell you right now this is not going to work.

This forward group is not going to work.

They've blown so many chances to have a good forward group and now have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Hockey gods don't let you off the hook.

This is not going to magically correct itself, this is a horrendous 2nd/3rd/4th line setup and it's designed to have Leon or RNH fail.

You guys can yell "step it up!" all you want. It's not changing a damn thing.
This is one of the unintended consequences of "the trade". We weren't just losing one of the best players in the league, we were losing an entire line's worth of production.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai isn't being asked to carry the team. He's very much second fiddle behind the best player in the galaxy. If he can't produce, hell, if he can't even tread water, then there's a serious problem. Moaning about the stupid Hall or Eberle trades won't fix it.

Carrying a 2nd line isn't a gimme, you still need to have solid roster construction for that to happen.

It's not just the Hall/Eberle trades. They could have Barzal or Connor. They could have Tkachuk. This team has been gift wrapped TONS of opportunities to have dominant scoring depth and each team they have f***ed it up.

They had to get only ONE of these damn situations correct and they whiffed on every, single, one, lol. Like it's a joke.

And guess what? There are consequences to that, and the forward group you are watch now is exactly that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Carrying a 2nd line isn't a gimme, you still need to have solid roster construction for that to happen.

It's not just the Hall/Eberle trades. They could have Barzal or Connor. They could have Tkachuk. This team has been gift wrapped TONS of opportunities to have dominant scoring depth and each team they have ****ed it up.

They had to get only ONE of these damn situations correct and they whiffed on every, single, one, lol. Like it's a joke.

And guess what? There are consequences to that, and the forward group you are watch now is exactly that.

I'm aware of all that as you well know. But none of that answers the question: where do we go from here? Because if Draisaitl keeps playing like he is, we can add "not trading Draisaitl for Subban" to the list of blunders before long.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm aware of all that as you well know. But none of that answers the question: where do we go from here? Because if Draisaitl keeps playing like he is, we can add "not trading Draisaitl for Subban" to the list of blunders before long.

You fire your GM and bring in a competent manager who values talent and can actually trade worth a damn.

That's what you do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Drai needs an elite player to produce, then it won't matter who sits in the GM's office. There's no cavalry coming.

Sorry, but that rings like bull shit given that they had every chance to have Hall next to him. Or Barzal. Or Connor. Or Tkachuk. Or hell even DeBrincat.

That's SIX different wingers they could have had that were sitting in their laps that would have been a great fit. Six times the hockey gods knocked on their door and six times they decided they were too smart for that and would go a different direction.

So don't give me that, they failed, now they can reap the results of what they've done here.

Let some one else with half a brain have the job, maybe they can do better than 0/6.

Reactions: TheNumber4

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
RNH and Drai just doesn't seem to work either. They've tried that before, it doesn't mesh.

When did they try this? I watch a lot of Oilers hockey and I don't recall more than a handful of games that RNH and Drai played together.

On another note, it's shameful that some posters are basically driving Draisaitl out of town. He's not Crosby, he's not McDavid.
He can't do everything for his line, it's not how he and 95% of the players in the world are built. He's a playmaker who has nobody to pass to, kind of difficult to get much going when that's the case.
He does need to be better but he's on his own out there most nights as he was last season when Mclellan threw whatever junk was leftover on his line.

Honestly, I'm starting to come around on not blaming Mclellan as much anymore (although he's certainly made his fair share of oddball moves).
What is there to work with? No real skill on the blueline and too many tweeners and overwhelmed young players up front. There's just not much quality right now, not until the young guys start becoming bigger contributors.
I do think that Mclellan has found a way to squeeze as little out of the roster as he possibly could offensively but there really isn't that much natural skill to work with.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sorry, but that rings like bull **** given that they had every chance to have Hall next to him. Or Barzal. Or Connor. Or Tkachuk. Or hell even DeBrincat.

That's SIX different wingers they could have had that were sitting in their laps that would have been a great fit. Six times the hockey gods knocked on their door and six times they decided they were too smart for that and would go a different direction.

So don't give me that, they failed, now they can reap the results of what they've done here.

Let some one else with half a brain have the job, maybe they can do better than 0/6.

Does the new GM come with a time machine? Because none of that stuff is relevant right now.

Reactions: Leo360 and ujju2

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
When did they try this? I watch a lot of Oilers hockey and I don't recall more than a handful of games that RNH and Drai played together.

On another note, it's shameful that some posters are basically driving Draisaitl out of town. He's not Crosby, he's not McDavid.
He can't do everything for his line, it's not how he and 95% of the players in the world are built. He's a playmaker who has nobody to pass to, kind of difficult to get much going when that's the case.
He does need to be better but he's on his own out there most nights as he was last season when Mclellan threw whatever junk was leftover on his line.

Honestly, I'm starting to come around on not blaming Mclellan as much anymore (although he's certainly made his fair share of oddball moves).
What is there to work with? No real skill on the blueline and too many tweeners and overwhelmed young players up front. There's just not much quality right now, not until the young guys start becoming bigger contributors.
I do think that Mclellan has found a way to squeeze as little out of the roster as he possibly could offensively but there really isn't that much natural skill to work with.
Yeah, I don't recall RNH and Drai playing together. If they did, who was playing centre? I think they could at least try them together for a few games and allow Reider to play with McD and Rats when he comes back.
Also, Khaira needs to get his head out of his ass. His play has been extremely disappointing, as has Brodziak's.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does the new GM come with a time machine? Because none of that stuff is relevant right now.

Here's the thing it's 1000% relevant TODAY. When you whiff on that many chances you end up in a crap position, like the Oilers are today with no winger depth.

You have to get one of these decisions (at least) correct. That's what separates good teams from crap ones.

It can't be hand waved away.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Here's the thing it's 1000% relevant TODAY. When you whiff on that many chances you end up in a crap position, like the Oilers are today with no winger depth.

You have to get one of these decisions (at least) correct. That's what separates good teams from crap ones.

It's irrelevant because it can't be changed. It's history. You can learn from it but that's all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's irrelevant because it can't be changed. It's history. You can learn from it but that's all.

What have they learned from it? The same bozo is still running the team and making decisions, so nothing has been learned.

What the reality is is because they whiffed on all those chances, they likely have to suffer some ugliness the next few years.

You can make every excuse for why you missed the bus, but if that's the last bus coming for the next 2 hours, then your ass is gonna sit and wait 2 hours for the next bus.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Nobody is hand waving anything away. But your solution is not a solution. The question was, to paraphrase, "how do we improve in the future." Your answer, to paraphrase, can't be "we screwed up in the past." It is obvious that we screwed up in the past. But that doesn't answer the question. So is your answer something like "it is impossible to improve based on our past mistakes"? If so, then changing the GM doesn't help. If you think a new GM can help, you have to tell us what that new GM would actually do in the present to help, not what they would have done in the past. In economic terms, the past mistakes of Chiarelli can be considered sunk costs. But where do we go from here?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What have they learned from it? The same bozo is still running the team and making decisions, so nothing has been learned.

What the reality is is because they whiffed on all those chances, they likely have to suffer some ugliness the next few years.

You can make every excuse for why you missed the bus, but if that's the last bus coming for the next 2 hours, then your ass is gonna sit and wait 2 hours for the next bus.

Uh. Great. But none of that changes a goddamn thing. Bitching about it sure doesn't.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody is hand waving anything away. But your solution is not a solution. The question was, to paraphrase, "how do we improve in the future." Your answer, to paraphrase, can't be "we screwed up in the past." It is obvious that we screwed up in the past. But that doesn't answer the question. So is your answer something like "it is impossible to improve based on our past mistakes"? If so, then changing the GM doesn't help. If you think a new GM can help, you have to tell us what that new GM would actually do in the present to help, not what they would have done in the past. In economic terms, the past mistakes of Chiarelli can be considered sunk costs. But where do we go from here?

We need to accept that right now probably there is no easy fix. We are going to have to suffer a bit, and that's what happens in anything in life.

You slack off in school for 6 months, and odds are you are going to pay for it later on.

We're in the "getting our come uppance" phase, it will take another manager a little while to just clean us the mess before "fixes" can be applied.

Probably the "cost" of our stupidity in 2015 and 16 is that we waste likely about 2-3 years of McDavid's prime. That's the cost, it doesn't come "for free" because "it's the past". The deeper cost may even be as much as a lost Stanley Cup early on in McDavid's career. We'll never know that one I guess.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We need to accept that right now probably there is no easy fix. We are going to have to suffer a bit, and that's what happens in anything in life.

You slack off in school for 6 months, and odds are you are going to pay for it later on.

We're in the "getting our come uppance" phase, it will take another manager a little while to just clean us the mess before "fixes" can be applied.

Fair enough. I'm assuming that suffering a bit is likely in reference to waiting out the contracts of Lucic, Sekera, Russell, etc? I'd say that's a fair judgement, but at the same time I don't think the suffering will actually be as great as it's portrayed to be, because I don't think the team, as is, even with all its flaws, is all that bad. I expect the Oilers to be a bubble team this season, the .500 record so far against good teams (though a small sample size) backs that prediction up so far. But concerning specific players, I do think Draisaitl is a better player than he has shown thus far this season, so as I said I think he has to be better but am not really too concerned.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fair enough. I'm assuming that suffering a bit is likely in reference to waiting out the contracts of Lucic, Sekera, Russell, etc? I'd say that's a fair judgement, but at the same time I don't think the suffering will actually be as great as it's portrayed to be, because I don't think the team, as is, even with all its flaws, is all that bad. I expect the Oilers to be a bubble team this season, the .500 record so far against good teams (though a small sample size) backs that prediction up so far. But concerning specific players, I do think Draisaitl is a better player than he has shown thus far this season, so as I said I think he has to be better but am not really too concerned.

The suffering really is plain and simply Connor McDavid really isn't going to have a good team around him probably for a couple of years at least in his prime and that's a enormous waste.

The "net cost" of that is probably very ugly, because a player like that could probably win you a Cup or get you to a Finals right now if you hadn't screwed up as a management team.

So yeah, it's not good. We likely now have to refocus on trying to build a good team around McDavid by the time he's 25/26, and hopefully not screw that up.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Agree with your comments and I hope you get to see a big win.
Boston win was awesome. I was at Nashville game as well. Strome had a great chance point blank. If that went in, things were different. I will say the defence looks much better. They move the puck better. Gravel took the warm-up and I must say, he is a monster

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
From what I have seen the last 2 games, YamA is a buzz saw. We have something with him. Kassian looks better as well. He needs to hit to be successful . Strome actually looks ok when u watch. I’m going to game tomorrow night then I go back East. I got to see 3 games so I want a big win. Very interested to see Marody

Right On!
I forgot about you here to watch them. Hope your enjoying!

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
The suffering really is plain and simply Connor McDavid really isn't going to have a good team around him probably for a couple of years at least in his prime and that's a enormous waste.

The "net cost" of that is probably very ugly, because a player like that could probably win you a Cup or get you to a Finals right now if you hadn't screwed up as a management team.

So yeah, it's not good. We likely now have to refocus on trying to build a good team around McDavid by the time he's 25/26, and hopefully not screw that up.

Oilers wasted Hall's prime years. Now they will waste McDavid's prime years. I'd rather have MacTavish as GM than Peter Chiarelli. Chiarelli's trades set the Oilers back many years.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Taylor Hall is a top 15 player in the world, maybe the Oilers shouldn't have freaking traded him.

Maybe they should stop doing stupid roster decisions and they might (gasp!) actually for once have a functional roster that can perform and doesn't have monstrous bottlenecks in its production.

But yeah Oilers, go ahead and do the Hall thing to Draisaitl. Blame him for everything and chase him out of town for probably pennies on the dollar. See how well that turned out for this franchise last time.

Maybe for ONCE this franchise can ask itself if its being fair to these players. Is that level of winger depth reasonable to ask Draisaitl to have success with? Was Dubnyk given fair help? Was Schultz? Was Hall? Maybe it's not the freaking players fault.

Sorry for responding in thread but I'm not sure how to quote a post then bring it too another thread!

Anyway there's common ground here. But some posters are dug in too deep with thier convictions. I agree with both sides to an extent. I absolutely go along with the idea that our complimentary players are sub par. But I won't come off my opinion that Drai is not playing to potential.

Just wanted to point out in your post that you contradict your argument a bit I think.

You ask if Taylor Hall was given fair help. I agree with your implication that he was not. But the difference is that he produced no matter whom he was playing with.

On this side of the debate that's what we are looking for in Drai.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Dont forget about Petry. And soon Brossoit.

You know if you add up all the players the Oilers and their fans mis evaluated because the team was built and/or coached like crap we'd have all our glaring holes filled right now.

Oh don't forget about Pitlick. His 27 points and 80 games played would have been dandy on our bottom 6 last year, but of course, he's injury prone and will always be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad