Confirmed with Link: Naoko Funayama let go by NESN

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Ference. Going to miss him. :laugh:

The players must have felt so awkward being interviewed by him based on all the sympathetic smiles they all seemed to give her.

tragos

Jan 7, 2013
Hello, Leah Hextall.....she did come from TSN..I'm guessing she didn't leave TSN to do that god awful NESN Daily or whatever its called now

I change the channel every time she comes on in a Sox postgame or whatever. Just this wan, sarcastic, uninterested attitude. I guess she thinks it's called sass, but it's painful to watch. Cannot stand the Hextall.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I always jokingly yelled at her when she did interviews something like "Stop being so happy darnit!!!!!!!." I liked the interviews she did though and always enjoyed guessing how much make-up she was going to use before the game. :laugh:

Really though sometimes I'd see her doing interviews and start messing around with the saturation and contrast on my TV thinking it was offset, just to find out after the interview it was just her or the camera on her lol.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Seemed like a total sweetheart ... but let's be honest, she was a little painful to watch. I know for the most part those rink side bits are fluff, but for some reason her questions seemed particularly inane.

I do wish her all the best though, and hope she finds success elsewhere! Nice to see on twitter that she seemed to have such a positive effect on young women looking to enter the sports media industry.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Never a Naoko fan and thought she asked dumb questions.

Not convinced they will bring in somebody better but would like to see them focus on getting somebody with some hockey knowledge rather than a pretty face.

And I hope that stupid social media segment along with Dan Jr gets dumped as well.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Naoko seems like a nice person, but every interview was essentially:

"How do you feel about X?"
"What about storyline bit Y that Jack and Brick have discussed since the opening do you feel you need to address/change?"
"Good luck going into the nth period."

And then, coming back from the intermission:

"I spoke with assistant coach <name> about storyline bit Y, and he said agree with Brick."

So, it's either very tightly scripted, in which case the awkwardness should be blamed on the producer, or she really has no idea about hockey but understands the narrative, and simply goes off that. Either way, those interviews were always a stilted, awkward mess. Hopefully whoever replaces her can be a bit better.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
They're not gone, naoko is gone, someone else will come to do the interviews

Whoever the new person is they will have to be better. Naoko was painful to listen to and painful for the players to talk to.

She may be a nice person but she sucked at her job. I kept thinking she would get better each year but it never happened.

Rob Simpson was great. A big geek who knew his hockey and was very well liked by the players.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
By all accounts she was a good person. Players and co-workers seem genuinely upset. I didn't mind her at all. I actually found the lack of hockey knowledge and general awkwardness a little cute. Less robotic than someone typically in that position. At the same time there were probably far too many cringe worthy moments. Especially when she would fumble through cliches given to her by Ward. Ofen misinterpreting them and relaying that information on air OR trying to quote him word for word with a strange pausing/repeating. Honestly, not surprising that she was let go.

Not all who worked for the team liked her.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
I feel bad about this, as Naoko seems like a nice person. But her interview style was just so awkward, and her questions were so oddly-phrased and convoluted; I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.

It was especially painful watching her interview opposing players between periods. Having had no previous experience with Naoko's interview style, they'd often get a deer-in-the-headlights look when confronted with her strange, meandering questions.

And as Ladyfan mentioned above, she never seemed to improve as an interviewer.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Would LOVE to see Jenny Dell in her role. A lot easier on the eyes.

Jenny Dell=Ratings

You can see Jenny Dell on the internet, this, unfortunately is what or how I feel Naoko is judged based on too much here, the easier on the eyes stuff.

She did her job, ask fluffy questions, get an answer, then send it back to the studio.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I feel bad about this, as Naoko seems like a nice person. But her interview style was just so awkward, and her questions were so oddly-phrased and convoluted; I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.

It was especially painful watching her interview opposing players between periods. Having had no previous experience with Naoko's interview style, they'd often get a deer-in-the-headlights look when confronted with her strange, meandering questions.

And as Ladyfan mentioned above, she never seemed to improve as an interviewer.

agreed. she seems like someone more fit for a behind-the-scenes gig, possibly writing. knows the sport and can communicate key pieces. the sideline reporter just needs to be comfortable on TV and able to relay info smoothly.

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
I could care less if the next side line reporter looked like Dale or Mila Kunis, I just want someone that doesn't make me cringe every single interview.

As harsh as that may sound, and as great as a person she may be, her questions and delivery were just not for me.

hocky

Apr 8, 2011
I agree that the job is all fluff and don't have high expectations. But Naoko wasn't good at the fluff.

Which is why I liked her. Good at fluff questions = boring, robotic interview. Bad at fluff = unintentional comedy

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I didn't feel like Naoko was as bad some people on here did when she was interviewing players, but she was far from as good as Rob Simpson. That guy is just plain awesome. I think to some degree that job is canned and there is not much latitude in what you can do. Same boring stupid cliche questions which usually get the same cliche responses from the players. I mean, how many times do we get any great insight from the intermission interviews by any network? Most of the time she asked the exact questions to players that all other people do for other hockey networks. There were, however, moments where she would leave me scratching my head with some of her questions. I can say one thing with great certainty -- Naoko was far less pointless and eons better than Dan Duquette Jr.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I also thought she took too much heat for the job she did. She wasn't half as bad as most people portrayed her. Try interviewing people for a living. It ain't always as easy as it seems.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
the move is stupid, nesn rolls out a fun family pre/post game, for all ages. Naoko filled the roll pretty good. does this mean nesn bruins pre/post game is not going to be rated G anymore? what direction is the station going. the bruins actual game coverage is rock solid, camera work, commentators etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad