Confirmed with Link: Naoko Funayama let go by NESN

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Can't say as I'm dissapointed.

Scripted, tight reigned or not, her delivery wasn't very good. Too flat and with no articulation. Media people do the weather every night and make you listen some how, and that's usually repetitious.

Ideally I'd want a former player (ie. L.B, Dimaio, Tim Taylor etc etc) down there, not some graduate of BU communications school just going through the motions. And if its someone with those credentials at least be some one with a stake in the game, former collegiate athlete or lifelong fan (or both).

I always DVR'd the games for about 45 minutes so I could skip over her and the other fluff. I'll probably do the same for the new person unless it's someone as I've mentioned above that might have some kind of insight.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As someone correctly said, her job is by trade a "fluff job" but her interview preparation was so bad.

In game 3 to Chicago, I nearly had to turn away from NESN after the game because of her questioning.

Naoko: "Is it nice to be home in front of the home crowd?"
Chara: "Uhh, yeah, it's nice to be in front of our fans."
Naoko: "Can you hear the crowd (odd snicker)?"
Chara:"......well, yeah, sort of....(inquisitive look)"

She was just too awkward for me. That weird gaze into the camera, for that one or two seconds after she finished talking. It was like her first time being in front of the camera every time. She just wasn't good at her job in my opinion...

Best of luck to her.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I'm just going to repost what I wrote on the TV/Radio thread:

Sometimes you grow fond of something simply because it's familiar and feels like home. For me, the key characters that have done this in the NESN broadcasts have been Jack, Brick and Naoko. When I watch games on NBC I miss all three of them. Pierre is good, no doubt, but fills a much bigger role than your typical sideline reporter, and I would be surprised if NESN replaces Naoko with someone whose job description is as broad as Pierre's, so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I think what Naoko did particularly well is assume a certain role, a role that I would call that of the "embedded fan". She always retained a certain, "wow, I'm so excited to be here and be able to do this" attitude that made it easy to identify with her as she conversed with the B's. I especially liked her reports from Doug Houda et al. at the end of the second intermission. I'm sure others can do similar reports, and others can do similar end-of-period interviews, but I was happy enough with Naoko's, and I'm not sure what exactly NESN would be looking for here. Interviews with players who are struggling to catch their breath will always have their inherent limitations, all the more so when they involve verbally reticent Canadians and Central Europeans.

Let's see what NESN has up its sleeve. For the time being, I retain the right to remain suspicious of motive.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
As someone correctly said, her job is by trade a "fluff job" but her interview preparation was so bad.

In game 3 to Chicago, I nearly had to turn away from NESN after the game because of her questioning.

She was just too awkward for me. That weird gaze into the camera, for that one or two seconds after she finished talking. It was like her first time being in front of the camera every time. She just wasn't good at her job in my opinion...

Best of luck to her.

Poor Naoko :laugh:

It's too bad we couldn't send her out with another cup :naughty:

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.

Best of luck to her.

Super-awkward, I agree, but the quote also illustrates her charm: like I said above, she's just one of us, getting to talk to players she admires, and here we find her fishing for confirmation that we matter.

She's a Who in Whoville.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Best of luck to her.

I had to laugh a bit at that segment, like with most of them.

They should focus on getting someone knowledgeable rather than for looks (not that Naoko had a lot going for her in that department either I'd wager; I'm really not sure why she was a fit for NESN in the first place).

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Sad to see one of The Gang go. It was hard to hate Naoko from anything but a professional perspective. ;)

She always just seemed awkward and camera shy. I think NESN thought she'd get over it. Never happened. Tappen was a bit awkward to start, but worked through it.

No Simpson, please. Adding another goofy clown to Jack is too much. Much too much.

Is it that hard to find an attractive young lady who can relay some basic recycled sports cliches in a professional and smooth manner? That seems to be the ideal in sideline reporting.

Don't get the Dell bashing. She's hot and doesn't seem to stammer. Boom. Nobody out of middle school is learning anything new from 99% of these reports. That's why it is how it is, I guess.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Sad to see one of The Gang go. It was hard to hate Naoko from anything but a professional perspective. ;)

She always just seemed awkward and camera shy. I think NESN thought she'd get over it. Never happened. Tappen was a bit awkward to start, but worked through it.

No Simpson, please. Adding another goofy clown to Jack is too much. Much too much.

Is it that hard to find an attractive young lady who can relay some basic recycled sports cliches in a professional and smooth manner? That seems to be the ideal in sideline reporting.

Don't get the Dell bashing. She's hot and doesn't seem to stammer. Boom. Nobody out of middle school is learning anything new from 99% of these reports. That's why it is how it is, I guess.

I don't get it either. And I'm not even defending her cause she's hot, I think she does fine. Is very clear spoken, does her job (reads tweets and asks questions) and isn't awkward in front of a camera.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
By all accounts she was a good person. Players and co-workers seem genuinely upset. I didn't mind her at all. I actually found the lack of hockey knowledge and general awkwardness a little cute. Less robotic than someone typically in that position. At the same time there were probably far too many cringe worthy moments. Especially when she would fumble through cliches given to her by Ward. Ofen misinterpreting them and relaying that information on air OR trying to quote him word for word with a strange pausing/repeating. Honestly, not surprising that she was let go.

I'm thinking someone who actually played would be good. During the women Olympics or tournaments, there has to be someone who is female and former player who can do the job and actually ask good questions not just fluff questions.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I'm thinking someone who actually played would be good. During the women Olympics or tournaments, there has to be someone who is female and former player who can do the job and actually ask good questions not just fluff questions.

CBC has Cassie Campbell who played for the Canadian Olympic team, she asks decent questions and knows what she is talking about.

bigcat188

Nov 24, 2011
Cape Cod
I liked Naoko...she was only doing what she was told.
It's live TV..everyone screws up once in a while.
Good luck in future endeavors.

member 96824

"Naoko..now that you've been let go, does it mean NESN will have to find a new reporter?"

Serge A Storms

Apr 21, 2013
Connecticut
I liked Naoko, it was a fluff job but she did it okay and the players seemed to actually like her. There's a hilarious video of Chara giving her a huge bear hug in the locker room after they won the cup.

NESN has gone downhill pretty fast these last couple of years. The audio is HORRENDOUS half the time and the social media minute is just.... awful.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
"Naoko..now that you've been let go, does it mean NESN will have to find a new reporter?"

"Why yes, Brain ... I believe it does. Hopefully they are able to fill the position with someone that has even a sliver of personality. It would be a tremendous upgrade to what I brought to the table."

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I'm just going to repost what I wrote on the TV/Radio thread:

Sometimes you grow fond of something simply because it's familiar and feels like home. For me, the key characters that have done this in the NESN broadcasts have been Jack, Brick and Naoko. When I watch games on NBC I miss all three of them. Pierre is good, no doubt,......

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

MerrimackBruin*

I hope that they bring in someone Fire Hot.
We need the Jenny Dell of the Bruins.

:naughty:

chippa13*

Love someone to find the Rob Simpson fired from NESN thread.... people were ripping on Naoko back then I am sure. now all this love on the tweeter machinze

Best part of all of this...Naoko is a better hockey player than 95% of the weak posters on this board and knows the game just as well HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad