Confirmed with Link: Naoko Funayama let go by NESN

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Vitrol. wow. I'd love to see some of you at work and "suck at your job"

My question is, how much was scripted and how much did she come up with? It seemed like there was a very tight leash on amount of time given her for any interviews. and I never really saw them give her a chance to break out of that box. So, I'm curious if anyone else put in that position will do better. I think the entire intermission/breakaways need to be reconstructed. I think they're stagnant.

I think there are some other issues in the dynamic in terms of her being let go, but I wont mention them here.

but Im curious as to why no one worked with her, if they did think she was doing poorly, because the overall taste of her interviews/segments didnt naturally grow or get better/different. If someone is doing poorly, a segment director will usually step in to help. Unfortunately I think that speaks volumes about NESN and it isnt good.

So, unfortunate for her. I hope she does something that is more kinetic.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Would LOVE to see Jenny Dell in her role. A lot easier on the eyes.

Jenny Dell=Ratings

I want someone who knows hockey and can interview players without them feeling uncomfortable.

I don't care what they look like.

Shane Hnidy is doing radio for the Jets...I know that would not happen .

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Naoko got better with time. I'll miss her. Good luck, Naoko!

That is a legitimate worry. Jenny Dell is awful.

P.S. Jack Edwards is leading a recall effort for Naoko on Twitter.

Maybe Jack and Naoko can switch places?

:sarcasm:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Vitrol. wow. I'd love to see some of you at work and "suck at your job"

My question is, how much was scripted and how much did she come up with? It seemed like there was a very tight leash on amount of time given her for any interviews. and I never really saw them give her a chance to break out of that box. So, I'm curious if anyone else put in that position will do better. I think the entire intermission/breakaways need to be reconstructed. I think they're stagnant.

I think there are some other issues in the dynamic in terms of her being let go, but I wont mention them here.

but Im curious as to why no one worked with her, if they did think she was doing poorly, because the overall taste of her interviews/segments didnt naturally grow or get better/different. If someone is doing poorly, a segment director will usually step in to help. Unfortunately I think that speaks volumes about NESN and it isnt good.

So, unfortunate for her. I hope she does something that is more kinetic.

I don't think people hate Naoko. She just wasn't good at interviews.

NESN does have it's issues.

Turk 16

May 3, 2011
South Shore, MA
Nothing but nothing was more awkward than the Jack and Brick / Don and Jerry cross-game "updates" during the NESN-covered Bruins playoff games. Those sessions were absolutely cringeworthy.

Somewhat surprising. I like all four of them, and Orsillo is actually a pretty good hockey pbp guy. But it just didn't work at all.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I am upset because she has been here for a high point in Bruins history. I do not like Nesn tastelessly moving her out. They cannot hold a quality male talent in that role anyone competent will be gone within a year to a more fulfilling opportunity.

And as for people craving eye candy I personally find it insulting that they'll hire someone just for that reason, not to mention someone highly attractive will also find better opportunities immediately given their new found celebrity status upon getting the job of Bruins in game reporter.

Just a bush league move by Nesn.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am upset because she has been here for a high point in Bruins history. I do not like Nesn tastelessly moving her out. They cannot hold a quality male talent in that role anyone competent will be gone within a year to a more fulfilling opportunity.

And as for people craving eye candy I personally find it insulting that they'll hire someone just for that reason, not to mention someone highly attractive will also find better opportunities immediately given their new found celebrity status upon getting the job of Bruins in game reporter.

Just a bush league move by Nesn.

Why not rotate some of the various beat guys?

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I don't think people hate Naoko. She just wasn't good at interviews.

NESN does have it's issues.

This.... She might have been poorly utilized, but that doesn't change the fact that her in a rinkside reporter role was a bad fit. She's probably getting paid more than most of us here to talk on camera for a few minutes a week.. it shouldn't be awkward to watch.

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
I wish her well and hope she finds a job that puts the NESN gig to shame. Just like I think Ms. Tappen has done a great job at NHL network.

I never liked the between periods interviews, even when Craig Simpson did them, though he was terrific and corny and innovative. And look how well he is doing with NHL Network!

I hope they do not replace her position. I wish they had kept her in a different capacity. They just don't need it. They could have Jack and Brick do it from the booth.

The truth is that management just about everywhere has no freaking idea about what works, what their people are thinking, who works hard, and who deserves to keep their job. And mostly don't care, they only manage upwards; they would cut their mother if their boss said to cut or be cut.

Even the Pats, who are about as good as it gets, may turn out to have had a gang killer on the team without knowing it. NESN, on the other hand, seems to screw the pooch on an annual basis, but fortunately for them, they have a product we want to watch despite the dolts in the corner office.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
I liked her and will miss her and think this is a bad move by NESN. I really wish she'd have got Dale's job as I think a lot of people would've at least liked her better in that job, if not warmed to her the way they did with Tappen.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wish her well and hope she finds a job that puts the NESN gig to shame. Just like I think Ms. Tappen has done a great job at NHL network.

I never liked the between periods interviews, even when Craig Simpson did them, though he was terrific and corny and innovative. And look how well he is doing with NHL Network!

I hope they do not replace her position. I wish they had kept her in a different capacity. They just don't need it. They could have Jack and Brick do it from the booth.

The truth is that management just about everywhere has no freaking idea about what works, what their people are thinking, who works hard, and who deserves to keep their job. And mostly don't care, they only manage upwards; they would cut their mother if their boss said to cut or be cut.

Even the Pats, who are about as good as it gets, may turn out to have had a gang killer on the team without knowing it. NESN, on the other hand, seems to screw the pooch on an annual basis, but fortunately for them, they have a product we want to watch despite the dolts in the corner office.

I think you mean Rob Simpson.

K. Tappen wasn't so good her first year but she really improved. She has a great gig with the NHL channel.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I liked her and will miss her and think this is a bad move by NESN. I really wish she'd have got Dale's job as I think a lot of people would've at least liked her better in that job, if not warmed to her the way they did with Tappen.

That probably would have been a better fit for her.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Nothing against Naoko, she was fine at her job, but I think the "sideline" reporter is utterly useless. They are all going to ask obvious questions and get obvious answers, that really isn't her fault. I would rather see them invest in someone to double as a "between-the-glass" guy, someone who has played or coached the game in the league, and could give some on-ice insight to compliment Jack and Brick...then they could interview coaches/players before, after, or even during periods. Seems a much better allocation of funds to me.

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
Sounded good for a second there. Then I heard names like Pierre Mcguire and more Dan Duquette Jr ... bring her back!

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Please no Jenny Dell. She probably knows even less about hockey.

"Hey guys, we'll put up all your best Tweets in the seventh period!"

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Nothing against Naoko, she was fine at her job, but I think the "sideline" reporter is utterly useless. They are all going to ask obvious questions and get obvious answers, that really isn't her fault.

Agreed. That stuff is scripted. Simpson (or whoever) would've said the same things and whoever replaces her will ask the same questions. Just wish I knew what the NHL/NESN research was as to how they came up with the idea that this is the kind of thing we want in between periods & before/after games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad