Nail Yakupov Thread: Part 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe it's because they recognized he was not a good hockey player.

meh, Aren't you a poster who questioned whether Taylor Hall is a good hockey player.

Any high pick that can score goals should be playing in the NHL, and seeing premium minutes. Yak rarely got consistent topsix looks. I'd border on saying it was never sustained outside of his rookie season, when he hit it out of the ballpark.

Goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey. Period. That's an irreplaceable skillset and should be obvious from watching this team. Anybody that can score goals can be taught to do other things. You can't teach scoring, you can teach systems, defending, and rote assignments.

I have all kinds of patience for any guy that can score goals. Due to the importance of that skillset, and that this is entertainment. Conversely a player like Colby Cave isn't even remotely capable of anything at this level, certainly not entertainment, and I would punt no talents like that off the roster the moment some lame ass GM tried to say that's a player. I would never dress a player like that in the NHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No kidding.
It's been reported in practice all he cared about was shooting. That's not on Oilers, that's ok Yak himsed
In all fairness one of his big issues was shooting. He use to miss the net so much from so close away. I just wondered if he had bad eye sight

Reactions: frag2

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
meh, Aren't you a poster who questioned whether Taylor Hall is a good hockey player.

Any high pick that can score goals should be playing in the NHL, and seeing premium minutes. Yak rarely got consistent topsix looks. I'd border on saying it was never sustained outside of his rookie season, when he hit it out of the ballpark.

Goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey. Period. That's an irreplaceable skillset and should be obvious from watching this team. Anybody that can score goals can be taught to do other things. You can't teach scoring, you can teach systems, defending, and rote assignments.

I have all kinds of patience for any guy that can score goals. Due to the importance of that skillset, and that this is entertainment. Conversely a player like Colby Cave isn't even remotely capable of anything at this level, certainly not entertainment, and I would punt no talents like that off the roster the moment some lame ass GM tried to say that's a player. I would never dress a player like that in the NHL.
I think you meant to say you have patience for any player YOU like.

Pakarinen for example couldn’t really score.

And no, I’ve never thought hall wasn’t a good player.

Reactions: TB12

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I was told by a very reliable source that there really was was a language/understanding barrier between him & the coaching staff. The coaches would tell him 1 thing & he'd go out on the ice & do something different & he would genuinely think he was doing what he was being coached.

I noticed a few things that concerned me in his first year but truly believe if they had stuck with Krueger things could have been different for him & the team.

Reactions: Panda Bear

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005

I agree with your position on goal scoring, and patience, but Yakupov played for 3 teams and something like 7 coaches. If he started off so well with Colorado, why did he all of a sudden see barely any ice time? There's gotta be more to things than we know. I don't think there was any expectation for him to become a defensive superstar, but simply to put some effort and focus into it. I think it all when in one ear and out the other with him. Coaches got frustrated with him not willing to follow some basic instructions, and as such, he saw reduced ice time. Fact that 28 other teams never gave him a shot speaks volumes.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Should have had to earn it and which the proper coach like said earlier Kruger May have turned into something. To bad cause he seemed like a quality person off the ice. Maybe fitting in with the cool kids had something to do with it.

This made me go look at the KHL stats. We would be twice the team if we picked ex Oilers in the top 60 in scoring and switched them out with current players lol.

Id say this mentality is actually what destroyed JP, Yakupov and MPS. They were stuck in bottom 6 roles and every mistake resulted in demotion/benching. Meanwhile, other tops picks like Hall/RNH/Eberle were handed top minutes (as they should have been) from day 1. I dont get this mentality that these top picks have to get a lunch pale and bucket and start from the 4th line and fight and claw their way to the top line. Its absurd, waiting on them to fail to hold them back and demote them just neuters all of their creativity. As other teams do, they should be put on top lines with skills players and given room to grow

Like the Oilers will staple Lucic/Rattie/{insert scrub here} in the top 6, where they never earn it. yet give these good minutes to these top picks like its some great reward

I can see a reason to put them in the AHL if you are not giving them consistant top 6 room and alot of leash. But for Yak, he did very well in the KHL in the lockout year, he had "earned" his way to the NHL

But like clockwork, we stuck him on horrible bottom 6 lines and destroyed all confidence. It was the same thing we did to MPS and the same we are doing to JP. The Oilers just shouldnt pick euro forwards in the 1st round

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree with your position on goal scoring, and patience, but Yakupov played for 3 teams and something like 7 coaches. If he started off so well with Colorado, why did he all of a sudden see barely any ice time? There's gotta be more to things than we know. I don't think there was any expectation for him to become a defensive superstar, but simply to put some effort and focus into it. I think it all when in one ear and out the other with him. Coaches got frustrated with him not willing to follow some basic instructions, and as such, he saw reduced ice time. Fact that 28 other teams never gave him a shot speaks volumes.

Players dont suddenly go to a new city, walk off the plane and all of a sudden forget everything that happened before. Yakupovs confidence and ability was completely destroyed in Edmonton. That doesnt fix itself in a year or even 2. It takes time to unwind the horrible development. Dubnyk played for 3 teams over 2 years, played in the AHL before finally regaining his ability in Minnesota for example.

I wont absolve Yak of his issues, he did have alot of wrinkles. But his development was truely the worst I have seen in a long time. It rivals the mismanagement of MPS and Lander

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Players dont suddenly go to a new city, walk off the plane and all of a sudden forget everything that happened before. Yakupovs confidence and ability was completely destroyed in Edmonton. That doesnt fix itself in a year or even 2. It takes time to unwind the horrible development. Dubnyk played for 3 teams over 2 years, played in the AHL before finally regaining his ability in Minnesota for example.

I wont absolve Yak of his issues, he did have alot of wrinkles. But his development was truely the worst I have seen in a long time. It rivals the mismanagement of MPS and Lander

perfectly said.

The guy was a Lion, finished close to the top in rookie scoring, Krueger really started to get him to start playing that north south 1 - 2 game. Then along came the clown show and the three stooges. MacTavish, Eakins and Howson.

Guess which 2 are still here

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
perfectly said.

The guy was a Lion, finished close to the top in rookie scoring, Krueger really started to get him to start playing that north south 1 - 2 game. Then along came the clown show and the three stooges. MacTavish, Eakins and Howson.

Guess which 2 are still here

If I had an Oilers time machine....the firing of Krueger and hiring of Eakins is one scenario I would like to reverse and see how it plays out.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If I had an Oilers time machine....the firing of Krueger and hiring of Eakins is one scenario I would like to reverse and see how it plays out.
Now these clowns are doing the same thing with a one time Super Finnish propect name Puljujarvi,

absolute morons working in this organization. If they even perform at a 50 % clip Puljujarvi is a 50 point 25 goal scorer by now. 2 years in the AHL followed by this season in the NHL. Instead its 4 games in the AHL , 10 games in the NHL, 4th line grinding role in the NHL to 1 period on the top line back to 2 periods on the 4th line .... , then back to 4 games stints in the AHL, rinse repeat and recycle until the prospect is destroyed mentally and physically.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Yakupov is just no good, I dont even care what Eakins did or didn't do with the player. Even under Krueger he wasn't great, and scored the vast majority of his goals (10 out of 14) in the last month of the season, being carried by Taylor Hall, racking up goals on teams resting their starting goalies / star players for the playoffs. When he wasn't scoring he was doing absolutely nothing useful

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Id say this mentality is actually what destroyed JP, Yakupov and MPS. They were stuck in bottom 6 roles and every mistake resulted in demotion/benching. Meanwhile, other tops picks like Hall/RNH/Eberle were handed top minutes (as they should have been) from day 1. I dont get this mentality that these top picks have to get a lunch pale and bucket and start from the 4th line and fight and claw their way to the top line. Its absurd, waiting on them to fail to hold them back and demote them just neuters all of their creativity. As other teams do, they should be put on top lines with skills players and given room to grow

Like the Oilers will staple Lucic/Rattie/{insert scrub here} in the top 6, where they never earn it. yet give these good minutes to these top picks like its some great reward

I can see a reason to put them in the AHL if you are not giving them consistant top 6 room and alot of leash. But for Yak, he did very well in the KHL in the lockout year, he had "earned" his way to the NHL

But like clockwork, we stuck him on horrible bottom 6 lines and destroyed all confidence. It was the same thing we did to MPS and the same we are doing to JP. The Oilers just shouldnt pick euro forwards in the 1st round

MPS didn't want to get hit. That's why he became useless

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yakupov is just no good, I dont even care what Eakins did or didn't do with the player. Even under Krueger he wasn't great, and scored the vast majority of his goals (10 out of 14) in the last month of the season, being carried by Taylor Hall, racking up goals on teams resting their starting goalies / star players for the playoffs. When he wasn't scoring he was doing absolutely nothing useful

You should care what coaches are doing with the players.... thats why the Oilers have had shit development of prospects in the past 10 years....

He unquestionably had a promising rookie season, not as good as the points say, but 100% not as bad as you try and make it out to be

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
MPS didn't want to get hit. That's why he became useless

yeah, I am sure it was only that and not the fact his most common linemates were Stortini, Reddox, Petrell and JF Jacques

I wonder how many more top picks the Oilers have to ruin before they clue in that stapling players blackhole 4th lines is the worst way to develop a player

I mean, people are still excited for Bouchard right? Guess what hes likely in for next season. Do some squats this summer kid, your going to be lugging around Kris Russell or whatever scrub we can scrape together for next season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You should care what coaches are doing with the players.... thats why the Oilers have had **** development of prospects in the past 10 years....

He unquestionably had a promising rookie season, not as good as the points say, but 100% not as bad as you try and make it out to be

Yep.

To those that say Yak had no potential successful NHL career please name one player, ever, that scored goals at a .354 G/G clip in rookie season and went on to be a bust.

Yak was almost textbook plug and play. This org somehow managed to screw up that most rare of quantities, a goal scorer.

So name one other player that hit the ground running like this and turned out to be a bust that couldn't play in the league.

Its kind of ironic that people that have concluded about yakupov are doing this in the midst of Sam Gagner proving this org wrong on his dismissal every game and the team in the process of shitcanning Puljujarvi.

This org has a habit of misusing players, destroying assets, doing anything but helping them.

In anycase the critique that Yak "was doing nothing but scoring goals" is damning with praise..;)

As if goal scorers wouldn't be important to this team right now. Outside the obvious, we don't have any. We've even been desperate enough to park dolts like Chiasson, Yama, Spooner, Khaira, Kassian, Lucic on toplines.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You should care what coaches are doing with the players.... thats why the Oilers have had **** development of prospects in the past 10 years....

Did he really though? The rest of the season besides those 10ish games he was pretty terrible.

I agree coaching is important to a players development, but what I meant by that is, even a guy like Scotty Bowman couldn't help Yakupov. He's just not a NHL player period. He's not smart enough, a coach can't change a players brain.

Yep.

To those that say Yak had no potential successful NHL career please name one player, ever, that scored goals at a .354 G/G clip in rookie season and went on to be a bust.

you need to put those goals into context though. Up until the last month of the season Yakupov had 4 goals. It was also a half season so G/G is going to be a little off.

Yakupov had a good goal scoring run for 10 games in his entire career, playing with Taylor Hall who is a fantastic playmaker, playing against some teams sitting their best players and using backup goalies against the lowly Oilers before the playoffs.

Listen, I loved Yakupov. I have his jersey, shirts etc. I wanted him to succeed more than anything, but after a couple years I couldnt justify it anymore. The kid didn't want to learn or change his style. All he cared about was shooting, he couldn't even get into good shooting positions and missed the net constantly.

His shooting % in those 14 games where he got 11 goals was crazy high. He had 11 goals on 33 shots during that stretch.. lol.

It's pretty obvious he got lucky, especially after watching him for years afterwards

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Yep.

Yak was almost textbook plug and play. This org somehow managed to screw up that most rare of quantities, a goal scorer.

So name one other player that hit the ground running like this and turned out to be a bust that couldn't play in the league.

Its kind of ironic that people that have concluded about yakupov are doing this in the midst of Sam Gagner proving this org wrong on his dismissal every game and the team in the process of ****canning Puljujarvi.

This org has a habit of misusing players, destroying assets, doing anything but helping them.

In anycase the critique that Yak "was doing nothing but scoring goals" is damning with praise..;)

As if goal scorers wouldn't be important to this team right now. Outside the obvious, we don't have any. We've even been desperate enough to park dolts like Chiasson, Yama, Spooner, Khaira, Kassian, Lucic on toplines.
You are correct. 30 teams in the NHL are wrong. Yaks a good player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Why? He's playing in his home country which he loves and getting a decent salary. Not everyone needs the NHL.
This is my feeling as well. I’m happy for Yakupov having a good season in the KHL. He gets to be with his family, which always seemed important to him, and he gets to play the game he loves for big money. Maybe he’s happier there?

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
This is my feeling as well. I’m happy for Yakupov having a good season in the KHL. He gets to be with his family, which always seemed important to him, and he gets to play the game he loves for big money. Maybe he’s happier there?
All this talk about Yakupov figuring things out and having a good season in the KHL made me look into things a bit. i.e. who are some other ex-NHLers playing over there that are putting up good stats. Couldn't believe this one:
Nigel Dawes
2018-19Yekaterinburg AutomobilistKHL60284169
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's 34 and has basically been a PPG player since he went over there 8 years ago. 5th round pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
All this talk about Yakupov figuring things out and having a good season in the KHL made me look into things a bit. i.e. who are some other ex-NHLers playing over there that are putting up good stats. Couldn't believe this one:
Nigel Dawes
2018-19Yekaterinburg AutomobilistKHL60284169
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's 34 and has basically been a PPG player since he went over there 8 years ago. 5th round pick.
So what you're saying is the Oilers couldn't use a 0.5PPG player at league minimum?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad