Nail Yakupov Thread: Part 2

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

He led the league in rookie scoring. Then Eakins happened, which is what happens when you have the blind leading the blind. No idea why you would try to defend them? Frankly its a slap in the face of the long suffering fans of this once proud franchise.

how many coaches has he had?, ...and how many sat him?

hmmm...all?:laugh:

they all see the same garbage player....side show circus act.

This is false. His M.O in Edmonton, and he was quoyed as were Hall and Eberle- that the forwards were allowed to be creative offensively as long as they took care of their defensive duties first.

Who is the great coach during that season that he led the team in scoring, and instilled all that confidence in him and let him be himself?

While reading this thread something popped into my head for some unknown reason ....... Who was the greater loss..Yak or Arco? :laugh: I think it would be a close call.

I'm really sorry, but if all it took it was one bad coach to turn yak into garbage he never had the the mental fortitude to make it in the league. What's his excuse now? New team, new coach, same results. Seems to me that rookie year was a fluke. Jim Carey anyone?

Yak, losing Arco really didn't mean much as we didn't spend a 1st on him

The entire team was terrible and irresponsible. Yak was just singled out.

He got to watch from the pressbox while the team continued to lose horribly and play defense terribly.

He got to witness from the bench us getting demolished night in and night out, while being singled out that He personally needed to be a better defensive player from the bench.

He was told he needed to be more like the golden boys (who never back checked) before he would ever be given opportunities like them.

Yak was one of the best of the bunch and we ruined him. He was clearly better than Galchenyuk.

You can't un-ruin someone. It's like telling someone with anxiety to stop being anxious. Or someone who isn't confident to be more confident. I'm not a psychologist and I know it doesn't work like that.

A new coach doesn't un-**** the ****-job we did on that kid.

I see it differently. Roy was the first and only veteran mentor that Yak ever had. Both on and off the ice.
Roy was an undersized and shifty NHL player who managed to perform at a PPG and score 30 goals.

He was someone Yak really looked up to, and someone Yak tried emulating his game after.

It's been said many times during interviews that hearing this from Roy was much different than hearing it from 0-goals Gordon, 2-goals Letestu, or black hole Belanger.

Not bringing back Roy and going with 2 rookie centres says a lot about the Oil.

Please show me some highlights of some Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle defensive plays.

I don't know if I've ever seen that happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Declassified said:
I'm really sorry, but if all it took it was one bad coach to turn yak into garbage he never had the the mental fortitude to make it in the league. What's his excuse now? New team, new coach, same results. Seems to me that rookie year was a fluke. Jim Carey anyone?

I agree with this.

Unfortunately though the excuse train (like this thread) never seems to end.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Yak discussions are epic compared to the now legendary Robbie Schremp and Linus Omark debates.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The Yak discussions are epic compared to the now legendary Robbie Schremp and Linus Omark debates.

Yak showed well in the NHL, was a 1st overall, and was a better player than Galchenyuk and Forsberg at the NHL level, then substantially regressed after the age of 19 when the rest of his peers moved forward.

Schremp and Omark never did anything of note in the NHL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yak showed well in the NHL, was a 1st overall, and was a better player than Galchenyuk and Forsberg at the NHL level, then substantially regressed after the age of 19 when the rest of his peers moved forward.

According to some posters on here, during their time, Omark and Schremp were the 2nd and 3rd coming.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009

Maybe he just had an abnormally high and unsustainable shooting % his first year of 21% that he will never match again

since then:
9%
7.3%
6.3%
and this year 13.3% in a small sample size, like his first year was..

Unless you think right now that Michael Grabner and David Pastarnak are top 3 goal scorers in the league? Will they score 40-60 goals like their current shooting says they will?

I'm guessing they revert back to the 12-14% they normally shoot at just like Yak did for the rest of his career.

Dallas Eakins was complete garbage but at the end of the day he's not the guy shooting the puck for Nail

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe he just had an abnormally high and unsustainable shooting % his first year of 21% that he will never match again

since then:
9%
7.3%
6.3%
and this year 13.3% in a small sample size, like his first year was..

Unless you think right now that Michael Grabner and David Pastarnak are top 3 goal scorers in the league? Will they score 40-60 goals like their current shooting says they will?

I'm guessing they revert back to the 12-14% they normally shoot at just like Yak did for the rest of his career.

Dallas Eakins was complete garbage but at the end of the day he's not the guy shooting the puck for Nail

I remember commenting a few years back that I thought Grabner would score 50 goals in the NHL.... he was pretty electric with his speed and scoring at one point.. then injuries/regression/reality seemed to hit as teams obviously keyed in on him and he couldn't exploit as well with his speed.

I do think Grabner has the ability to be a 30-40 goal scorer though. He was always a player I wanted on the Oilers as he was decent as a PK/defensive player as well.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Okay, I have to ask:

WHY...

...are there still threads about Yakupov?

Some of us are still interesting in discussing him. Feel free to not click on the link. I believe you have control over that.

I have no idea where Yakupov goes next from St Louis. Clearly they are done with him as well. It's so disappointing to see what's happened to this kid. All 'reasons' aside, I just feel really bad for him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Once Yak is firmly entrenched in the KHL, people will stop posting about him all the time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Once Yak is firmly entrenched in the KHL, people will stop posting about him all the time.

I don't think anyone ever will. He was such a high pick, with such promise, pick under "interesting" circumstances, who looked good, then bottomed out.

There's so much to unpack there, people will always talk about him. Plus you add the Russian factor to it and you get the stuff that turns into books in 10 or 20 years.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I have no idea where Yakupov goes next from St Louis. Clearly they are done with him as well. It's so disappointing to see what's happened to this kid. All 'reasons' aside, I just feel really bad for him.

He may be one of those guys who needs another stop or two to figure things out. It happened to Dubnyk.

I could see Pittsburgh making a play for him. Failing that, a waiver claim in a month or so by a basement team might be his best chance this season- but, then, I'd argue he still has another year left at this level to try things out. 2017-18 is probably his last last opportunity, as whoever acquires him would do so on a one-year show-me contract. After that, it's game over for an NHL career.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
How to ruin a top prospect.

i have to wonder how much Larionov negatively impacted Yak. I dont hold the Oilers accountable for anything wrong with Yak. The Oilers have alot of blame to carry for the choice of yak at #1 and alot of blame for handling other players etc...but he was simply not the full package a #1 should be and the few things he excellled in didnt translate when NHL competition got real. people forget that in his rookie year he was great at the start when most of the teams were basically using the games as their training camps...then he had a nice ending when the playoff positions were pretty much set and teams either were done or trying not to get injured.

JSchultz to me was always the stranger case because he did show ability to excel and looked like he had an incredibly high ceiling. JSchultz was the bigger WTF. I never got the sense yak would be much of anything.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He may be one of those guys who needs another stop or two to figure things out. It happened to Dubnyk.

I could see Pittsburgh making a play for him. Failing that, a waiver claim in a month or so by a basement team might be his best chance this season- but, then, I'd argue he still has another year left at this level to try things out. 2017-18 is probably his last last opportunity, as whoever acquires him would do so on a one-year show-me contract. After that, it's game over for an NHL career.

I think if Hitchcock can't squeeze an NHL player out of him... he's likely done in the NHL. He'll probably hit waivers at some time this season and be out of the NHL by April.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Omark 0.41 PPG
Yakupov 0.43 PPG
Schremp 0.47 PPG

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
i have to wonder how much Larionov negatively impacted Yak. I dont hold the Oilers accountable for anything wrong with Yak. The Oilers have alot of blame to carry for the choice of yak at #1 and alot of blame for handling other players etc...but he was simply not the full package a #1 should be and the few things he excellled in didnt translate when NHL competition got real. people forget that in his rookie year he was great at the start when most of the teams were basically using the games as their training camps...then he had a nice ending when the playoff positions were pretty much set and teams either were done or trying not to get injured.

JSchultz to me was always the stranger case because he did show ability to excel and looked like he had an incredibly high ceiling. JSchultz was the bigger WTF. I never got the sense yak would be much of anything.

Completely agree with this.

Schultz was a huge disappointment and imo was really the one that people should have been angry about for not being in the conversation for the Calder trophy. I didn't remember Yakupov's hot start (years go by) but I definitely remember his 6 goals in his last 3 games. The hatrick in his very last game against a Vancouver without their entire top 6 FWD group and without their top 4 D.

Schultz also had some stats-padding in that game but he was in the end only 4 pts off the top scoring rookie as a D and played 21+ mins per night.

The rest is unfortunate history.

Last edited:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
So talking about this player will trigger alot of 'wtf?' reactions, but with all the talk that Jesse is Yakupov 2.0, got me thinking to how he's doing right now:

-His team SKA is 2nd overall in the KHL
-He leads the entire team in goals at 22 (even after missing 15 games), and is 6th on the team in overall pts
-Leads the team in game winning goals (7) and PP goals (7)
-In SKA's two overtime game victories, he scored both OT goals
-Leads the team in shot % at 22.4
-4th highest hitting forward on team with 51 hits
-4th in +/- on the team at +21
-Could possibly win the championship this year

Stats : Players stats : 18/19 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

He's only signed for this season. I'm sure he's going to garner some interest in the NHL, from more than a handful of teams. This KHL stint could've been the catalyst to cracking his shell, or it could just be that he succeeds in any other league, except for the NHL. And his price would probably be in the vicinity of 1-2 mil, at 1-2 yrs. He's 25 yrs old, could be creeping up on his prime, and couldn't hurt to have on this team right now, with next to none secondary scoring. He was pretty decent when he was playing alongside Connor.
Also playing on the Nashville of the KHL, he's likely sharpened up his defensive game, hence the +21. Maybe this could a good story?

Would you want to revisit the Yak Attack? Or was it ridiculous of me to even bring it up, and we should stay far away from him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad