Nail Yakupov Thread: Part 2

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yak scored 7 goals in first 20GP in Colorado. That's a 28 goal scoring pace. Did you watch any of those games? What followed after is a short struggle, and then Yak getting scratched several games, getting under 10mins in games he played, and getting buried in the lineup. If Colorado doesn't completely give up on the player he easily pots 15-20 that season. He finished with 9 goals in 58 GP which prorates to 13 goals on an 82 game season (i.e. if he wasn't scratched so often, hard to score when you're not in the lineup or getting paltry minutes and buried in the lineup) So with even moderate use, and Yak would certainly get more premium looks on a club that puts Kassian on a top line, certainly Yak is a 15-20 goal scorer.

Blues? Yak hardly hit the ice there. They had some change in direction there in STL and said they were going to develop the player and take their time and they fairly immediately made it clear he wasn't in their plans at all.

Additionally you say Yak had flamed out in 3 orgs. We know the handling of the player here was a gongshow, we know originally Yak even in his rookie season had led this team in scoring with 17 goals in an abbreviated season. I have no difficulty stating that had Krueger stayed that Yak would have continued to develop.

Even Yaks AVERAGE prorated career goal scoring rate is 15 goals/season, on the dot.
Ya think there may have been a reason Yak’s ice time started to shrink in Colorado and then devolved into him becoming a regular healthy scratch? I’m going to guess it was for the same reason it started happening here and that’s because he wouldn’t listen to the coaching staff nor work on things he needed to in practice. If he’s playing well there’s no reason to scratch him. If he’s not playing well and unwilling to do what he’s being asked why would anybody play him.

I supported and defended this guy his entire time here but when he went to St. Louis he started using his “I don’t know why I’m not playing, maybe coach don’t like me” line with the media that he had used with pretty much every coach he’s had since he was drafted. Not just Oiler coaches but Russian coaches too. He’s not capable of or, most likely, interested in learning anything.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Statistically his best years were in Edmonton.
Eakins is gone.
Chiarelli (who traded him) is gone.
He is still has many fans here that still believe in him and still want him to succeed as an oiler.
Pretty much coming into a new team with only a handful of people he used to play with.
New coaching staff.
New arena.
Possible cleaned house in management this summer.
Familiar with the city.
You miss the one where the OBC and OHL scouts didn't want him either. Far as I know they are all here still.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's funny how many posters harp on RNH for scoring in garbage time and such.

When a majority of Yakupovs goals came at the end of the season when the games didn't mean anything.

Maybe it means something when 2 other organizations refused to play him in the top 6 and eventually started scratching him.

Reactions: joestevens29

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's funny how many posters harp on RNH for scoring in garbage time and such.

When a majority of Yakupovs goals came at the end of the season when the games didn't mean anything.

Maybe it means something when 2 other organizations refused to play him in the top 6 and eventually started scratching him.

IMO, criticism of RNH is fair given he's supposed to be a 'core' player and his game seemingly dropped of significantly the last few months. For a guy that's supposed to be our best defensive forward, he's definitely not showing it.

With regards to Yak, if Uncle Igor is with him, F that. We already have a Euro with a questionable agent; we dont need another

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm sure Yak is thrilled we have Ken Hitchcock as coach right now and can't wait to come back here.

:biglaugh:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak won't sign here ever. He asked to be traded publically more than once.

If he returns to the NHL, he's going to a low-pressure situation with his buddy Chucky in Arizona.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Congrats to our favourite son Nail Yakupov, world champion (well, KHL champion :)) and international hero.

Don't believe Yak has played any games in months due to Covid complications.
His team did win the championship but I don't believe he was dressed for any of the playoffs games.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yakupov is at highest a 4th liner in NHL...
I really wonder what he will be in the future.
I could see him not eve make KHL rooster.
Bu he did fit with McDavid. Only what if he didnt got injured, would he been 1p/g player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad