Nail Yakupov Thread: Part 2

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Should have had to earn it and which the proper coach like said earlier Kruger May have turned into something. To bad cause he seemed like a quality person off the ice. Maybe fitting in with the cool kids had something to do with it.

This made me go look at the KHL stats. We would be twice the team if we picked ex Oilers in the top 60 in scoring and switched them out with current players lol.

Reactions: SnooPac

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Really liked him at camp 2 years ago. I’ve seen him play for Saint John. Great hands. He looked injured in camp this year and was traded to Halifax. He has been injured all year. Damaged goods
Still missed less time than Benson. If he's damaged goods then so is Benson

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Sure bring Yakupov back!

It's the return of all the Oilers draft picks: Brodziak, Rieder and now Gagner.

Also, sign Cogliano and Eberle, trade for Petry and Dubnyk. The old gang is back. Ryan Smyth comes out of retirement and we glue Hemsky back together and we really have something going.

Probably better than the current team..

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He got the same garbage treatment that MPS and Puljujarvi got. Basically, no support and every mistake magnified.

I dont know if he would have worked out on a different team with better development. But he forsure had the right mindset and willingness to learn. He got the absolute worst development here in Edmonton, so literally, all of the cards were stacked against him. He did have some issues himself, but a good franchise helps to solve those issues. Our org just exploited those issues and made them worse. Eventually ruining all confidence in the kid

Much like Dubnyk, I am not surprised it took him some years and different teams to find his grove again

I do not know if hell work on in the NHL again, but all I can say is I am really happy the kid is having a good time in the KHL. He deserves it. He is a great person

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He got the same garbage treatment that MPS and Puljujarvi got. Basically, no support and every mistake magnified.

I dont know if he would have worked out on a different team with better development. But he forsure had the right mindset and willingness to learn. He got the absolute worst development here in Edmonton, so literally, all of the cards were stacked against him. He did have some issues himself, but a good franchise helps to solve those issues. Our org just exploited those issues and made them worse. Eventually ruining all confidence in the kid

Much like Dubnyk, I am not surprised it took him some years and different teams to find his grove again

I do not know if hell work on in the NHL again, but all I can say is I am really happy the kid is having a good time in the KHL. He deserves it. He is a great person

It’s funny how we treat our Euro prospects compared to our NA prospects.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Yak discussions are epic compared to the now legendary Robbie Schremp and Linus Omark debates.

Plus 1st rounders:
Jani Rita, Jason Bonsignore, Steven kelly, paajarvi, Niinimaki, Mikhnov, Henrich, Riesen, Devereaux, Hulbig.

Most of those in the top 15

Way more misses than hits. Not anywhere close to acceptable

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

But he couldn't learn. He learned nothing. Here or with two other NHL organizations. That was the problem.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ya. And neither did the Blues or the Avs. It's not Yaks fault at all, right? If only a team was willing to teach Yak how to play, he'd be a star by now!!

Oiler fans are incredible. No wonder Spector and Stauffer still get clicks

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
His NHL career was disappointing, but it is nice to see him doing well in St. Petersburg (8th in the KHL in goals with 22 in 45 games, 1st in goals per game). From everything I've seen and heard, he seems like a really nice kid. I hope he gets another chance at having an NHL career someday.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oiler fans are incredible. No wonder Spector and Stauffer still get clicks
Yep,

Anybody that thinks Yak got legit shots in STL and Col wasn't paying attention to those circumstances. Both orgs exhibited pretty limited interest in Yakupov. Particularly the Blues. I think the Blues kind of ruined Yaks spirit as much as anything because of the about turn they did. They went from a "we're going to take our time properly developing this play" to flat out scratching him multitudes of games. He played 40 in STL and was barely ever on the ice. They would dress him once in awhile and give him 6mins. The kind of time people are complaing Currie got last night.

But alas that's the dynamic of the NHL. If a player hasn't worked out as well as thought in one market they rarely get a legit chance in another. Look at how the Oilers have dealt with Rattie. He needs a constant diet of better toi to develop confidence. So of course the Oilers instead move him throughout the lineup, and with it never stopping, so that he has the least familiarity with anybody as possible. Its like they're trying for him to fail. This org still does it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can't teach somebody who doesn't want to learn.

Taylor Hall.

I only state this because people say 100 times a week here that he had to go because he was not amenable to direction here and never was going to be.

This being false, and ridiculous assumption, in regards to almost any player.

Soon as Hall was in a different environment and approached differently he improved immensely.

Yakupov was doing fine with Krueger as coach. Fantastic actually, and regressed because Eakins was a horrible coach and a raw rookie with only 48 games played is very adversely effected by two years of an absolute joke coach.

I could say you can't teach something if you have nothing to teach and the players know it, and don't benefit from your teaching.

Man, could anybody imagine what a complete disaster Pulju would be if had to have had 2 seasons of Eakins? He'd be back in Europe already.

Its curious fans here disregard and pigeonhole the players as quickly as an inept org does. Players are resources, its the job of coaches and orgs to extract those resources and refine them.

Could anybody imagine if Nate Mackinnon was an Oilers pick and he started freaking out at Dallas Eakins and swearing at him on the bench? This org would implode, panic, and be speed dialing clubs to take the "Cancer" off their hands in exchange for anything.

The more fans say this Schultz was crap, Yak was crap, Gagner was crap, Eberle was crap, Talbot was crap it absolves the org of ANY responsibility ANY time. Its lazy thought, almost always false, and top picks are top picks. Invariably they are usable assets very rarely they are not.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The sad thing was that many though Yak was the BPA in that draft, much less that Ryan Murray was the 2nd BPA, and we had to choose. It's picks like that that make me question what the "Best Player Available" actually is. To me, the BPA is the one that'll give you as many years of service to the team and to the league relative to their draft position. A first overall pick should be someone who'll have a long and distinctive career. Maybe a HOFer and/or a cup winner. Definitely a major core piece and not a high risk/high reward type.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
His NHL career was disappointing, but it is nice to see him doing well in St. Petersburg (8th in the KHL in goals with 22 in 45 games, 1st in goals per game). From everything I've seen and heard, he seems like a really nice kid. I hope he gets another chance at having an NHL career someday.
Why? He's playing in his home country which he loves and getting a decent salary. Not everyone needs the NHL.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The sad thing was that many though Yak was the BPA in that draft, much less that Ryan Murray was the 2nd BPA, and we had to choose. It's picks like that that make me question what the "Best Player Available" actually is. To me, the BPA is the one that'll give you as many years of service to the team and to the league relative to their draft position. A first overall pick should be someone who'll have a long and distinctive career. Maybe a HOFer and/or a cup winner. Definitely a major core piece and not a high risk/high reward type.
There's no such thing as "BPA". You only know that from hindsight, so it is reasonable to go with the consensus. In that respect the Oilers did nothing wrong.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
There's no such thing as "BPA". You only know that from hindsight, so it is reasonable to go with the consensus. In that respect the Oilers did nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, it's a consensus of scouts and analysts that determine who's first. To me, the BPA in any draft is the one that does the best over time. I don't know who 2012's BPA is but it wasn't the top 2 (either of which we would've drafted).

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I just don’t see why if we’re looking at someone to potentially be a cheap offensive depth guy we have to be so focused on Yakupov. It just feels like he’s only being discussed because we know his name. Are there not plenty of other players that could fill the roll or even be better ? He’s 7th on his team, why not see what Alexander Barabanov or Nikolay Prokhorkin want ?

I do think Yakupov got a not great deal, but I also don’t think he’s actually that great. If we’re looking for a player like him why not look a little harder ?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Taylor Hall.

I only state this because people say 100 times a week here that he had to go because he was not amenable to direction here and never was going to be.

This being false, and ridiculous assumption, in regards to almost any player.

Soon as Hall was in a different environment and approached differently he improved immensely.

Yakupov was doing fine with Krueger as coach. Fantastic actually, and regressed because Eakins was a horrible coach and a raw rookie with only 48 games played is very adversely effected by two years of an absolute joke coach.

I could say you can't teach something if you have nothing to teach and the players know it, and don't benefit from your teaching.

Man, could anybody imagine what a complete disaster Pulju would be if had to have had 2 seasons of Eakins? He'd be back in Europe already.

Its curious fans here disregard and pigeonhole the players as quickly as an inept org does. Players are resources, its the job of coaches and orgs to extract those resources and refine them.

Could anybody imagine if Nate Mackinnon was an Oilers pick and he started freaking out at Dallas Eakins and swearing at him on the bench? This org would implode, panic, and be speed dialing clubs to take the "Cancer" off their hands in exchange for anything.

The more fans say this Schultz was crap, Yak was crap, Gagner was crap, Eberle was crap, Talbot was crap it absolves the org of ANY responsibility ANY time. Its lazy thought, almost always false, and top picks are top picks. Invariably they are usable assets very rarely they are not.
And maybe it took a trade for Hall to wake up and start listening to his coaches?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yep,

Anybody that thinks Yak got legit shots in STL and Col wasn't paying attention to those circumstances. Both orgs exhibited pretty limited interest in Yakupov. Particularly the Blues. I think the Blues kind of ruined Yaks spirit as much as anything because of the about turn they did. They went from a "we're going to take our time properly developing this play" to flat out scratching him multitudes of games. He played 40 in STL and was barely ever on the ice. They would dress him once in awhile and give him 6mins. The kind of time people are complaing Currie got last night.

But alas that's the dynamic of the NHL. If a player hasn't worked out as well as thought in one market they rarely get a legit chance in another. Look at how the Oilers have dealt with Rattie. He needs a constant diet of better toi to develop confidence. So of course the Oilers instead move him throughout the lineup, and with it never stopping, so that he has the least familiarity with anybody as possible. Its like they're trying for him to fail. This org still does it.
Maybe it's because they recognized he was not a good hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad