Nail Yakupov - Part IV

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
In hindsight, there weren't really any better players. Morgan Rielly and Galchenyuk play in a joke conference and get fluff minutes, Trouba has taken a big step back, Lindholm has one of the best teams around him to anchor his play, Maata as well, and the list goes on.

If you're wondering if Cherry was wrong at the time he said it, then the answer is still yes. Yes, he was wrong. You take BPA. Yakupov was BPA.

Filip Forsberg is clearly the best pick in hindsight, personally I would still pick Rielly and Murray ahead of Yakupov in hindsight. We needed a defenceman or a centre, not another smallish winger. He was not leaps and bounds above the top 3 picks as far as rankings. The Oilers went through a rebuild in which no one seemed to know how to rebuild a team and that was obvious, also noticed by everyone in the business.

Yeah I get it, every player in the draft not named Yakupov got fluff minutes and easy competition etc...right? Come on now, you aren't being very honest with yourself.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Filip Forsberg is clearly the best pick in hindsight, personally I would still pick Rielly and Murray ahead of Yakupov in hindsight. We needed a defenceman or a centre, not another smallish winger. He was not leaps and bounds above the top 3 picks as far as rankings. The Oilers went through a rebuild in which no one seemed to know how to rebuild a team and that was obvious, also noticed by everyone in the business.

Yeah I get it, every player in the draft not named Yakupov got fluff minutes and easy competition etc...right? Come on now, you aren't being very honest with yourself.

2012 was the year that they should have traded down. They could have walked out of that draft with one of Murray, Reinhart or Reilly plus a multitude of picks they could have used to improve the team.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
2012 was the year that they should have traded down. They could have walked out of that draft with one of Murray, Reinhart or Reilly plus a multitude of picks they could have used to improve the team.

The rumour was that Columbus was going to pick Murray had the Oilers not won the draft, and Leafs wanted Rielly even at #1(so Burke says).

I agree with you but not sure there was a deal there, pretty sure we could have traded with someone lower down to get Forsberg, he was rated top 4 all the time, no idea why he dropped.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

He was though. It was unanimous. I'm on my phone so I can't pull up the ranks but virtually every ranking site had him at #1

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Forsberg has a lot of proving to do before I'd even put him top 3, let alone call him clearly the best player. He's behind Rielly, Trouba, and Lindholm quite easily imo. Right now, he's competing with Murray, Yak, Galchenyuk, Girgensons, etc. How do you know we won't see the Forsberg who wasn't even close to a PPG in the AHL the previous year? Remember when everyone was claiming Hertl was the best player from the draft 2 years ago? He was outscored by Yak this year.

The 2012 draft has a few very promising dmen, and a pile of question marks up front

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Forsberg has a lot of proving to do before I'd even put him top 3, let alone call him clearly the best player. He's behind Rielly, Trouba, and Lindholm quite easily imo. Right now, he's competing with Murray, Yak, Galchenyuk, Girgensons, etc. How do you know we won't see the Forsberg who wasn't even close to a PPG in the AHL the previous year? Remember when everyone was claiming Hertl was the best player from the draft 2 years ago? He was outscored by Yak this year.

The 2012 draft has a few very promising dmen, and a pile of question marks up front

After watching Forsberg this season reg and playoffs, and the World Championships, I am willing to bet he gets even better next year. You just have to watch him to see how good he really is, he's a player.

I'm not sure why you would put him behind any of those players, he just lead the Predators (a very good team) in points and goals in his very first full season, plus he led them in the playoffs. Had he played a full season in the AHL the previous year, he likely would have led the team in points, and no one averaged close to a point per game for the Admirals that year. Forsberg has been a goal scorer at every level, he also plays very well defensively.

Playing with Thornton regular shift and PP can make anyone look good for a year (CheeChoo), Hertl is still a good player but not Forseberg good. Hertl had a 4 or a 5 goal game that got everyone talking.

Matter of opinion I guess, but I'll take Forsberg with my bet.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In hindsight, there weren't really any better players. Morgan Rielly and Galchenyuk play in a joke conference and get fluff minutes, Trouba has taken a big step back, Lindholm has one of the best teams around him to anchor his play, Maata as well, and the list goes on.

If you're wondering if Cherry was wrong at the time he said it, then the answer is still yes. Yes, he was wrong. You take BPA. Yakupov was BPA.

Umm what? How in the world did Trouba take a step back? The statement shows me that all you were doing was stat watching. Trouba took on the toughest minutes on the team with Mark Stuart saddled to him all year and crushed them from a possession stand point. He is already a legit tough minute first pairing defenseman and far from A dissapointment.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
Umm what? How in the world did Trouba take a step back? The statement shows me that all you were doing was stat watching. Trouba took on the toughest minutes on the team with Mark Stuart saddled to him all year and crushed them from a possession stand point. He is already a legit tough minute first pairing defenseman and far from A dissapointment.
Trouba is a horse and hits like a truck. And he has a bit of a mean streak. If Nurse becomes as good as him or better, we should be over the moon.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're right, almost everyone had him ranked #1, but you missed what I said. He was not #1 by leaps and bounds, some scouts still had Murray ahead of him.

Maybe a few local scouts but all the professional scouting services had Yak #1, it was unanimous moreso than any other draft year in the last 10 outside of McDavid and Stamkos. Granted, the rash of injuries to top players helped Yak's ranking but there was no doubt that he was not only consensus #1 but unanimous.

With that said, there are about 5 that I can think of off the top of my head that I would take over him in a re-draft especially considering team need. Murray, Lindholm, Trouba, Rielly (don't really have a puckmover like him in the system) and Vasilveskiy. Probably Forsberg too.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Maybe a few local scouts but all the professional scouting services had Yak #1, it was unanimous moreso than any other draft year in the last 10 outside of McDavid and Stamkos. Granted, the rash of injuries to top players helped Yak's ranking but there was no doubt that he was not only consensus #1 but unanimous.

With that said, there are about 5 that I can think of off the top of my head that I would take over him in a re-draft especially considering team need. Murray, Lindholm, Trouba, Rielly (don't really have a puckmover like him in the system) and Vasilveskiy. Probably Forsberg too.

what all those pro scouting services, all the pundits, coaches, the entire industry missed was that he was the consensus best forward in the weakest draft year in memory.

They're supposed to know hockey talent, yet no one could see that this kid is not a superstar, but a pretty good scorer.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
yak included, have we seen the best of any of our young guns yet? All these high 1rst rounders/1rst overalls point out the undisputed reality that all of them have been playing on a terrible hockey team, coached by a crappy coach and led by piss poor management.
I believe Yak, like Hall, like Eberle, like Nuge, like Schultz, Drai etc...are all going to have substantially better seasons as a result of the overhaul of the management/coaching and with our free agent/trade additions..yes and McDavid.
Forsberg and any player not drafted to the Oilers from that draft went to much better teams.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
yak included, have we seen the best of any of our young guns yet? All these high 1rst rounders/1rst overalls point out the undisputed reality that all of them have been playing on a terrible hockey team, coached by a crappy coach and led by piss poor management.
I believe Yak, like Hall, like Eberle, like Nuge, like Schultz, Drai etc...are all going to have substantially better seasons as a result of the overhaul of the management/coaching and with our free agent/trade additions..yes and McDavid.
Forsberg and any player not drafted to the Oilers from that draft went to much better teams.

well, you make a solid point.

look at Monohan and Gaudreau in Calgary. Are they really better then our top picks? doubtful.

so, I'll back off a bit on Yak.
cheers

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yak should lose the stache. He's not doing himself any favors with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad