Nail Yakupov - Part IV

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yak was as close to a consensus as there had been in several years.

yeah, there was a consensus that Yak was a teeny weenie, smidgeon of a CH better than everyone else; he was not a landslide consensus. Lost by everyone was that he was a smallish winger, a position of need/importance that comes in at about number 6 on most team's, and was the last player-type that the Oilers needed.

We didn't need a 20 - 25 goal scorer (which is still a pretty good player) nearly as bad as we needed almost everything else. And that's the point; not how good he is or isn't, it's how little we needed him.

If he ends up being a regular 35 goal scorer, I'll be happy.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
yeah, there was a consensus that Yak was a teeny weenie, smidgeon of a CH better than everyone else; he was not a landslide consensus. Lost by everyone was that he was a smallish winger, a position of need/importance that comes in at about number 6 on most team's, and was the last player-type that the Oilers needed.

We didn't need a 20 - 25 goal scorer (which is still a pretty good player) nearly as bad as we needed almost everything else. And that's the point; not how good he is or isn't, it's how little we needed him.

Even if the Oilers picked based on need, which rarely is the optimum choice, would they be better off with the injury prone Murray or another struggling winger in Galchenyuk? The best picks in hindsight would have been Lindholm or Trouba, and that would have took a crystal ball on draft day. Overall, it was just a very weak draft class.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How easy people forget about how much hype Yakupov was getting during his draft year. Just broke Stamkos' rookie record and was being compared as an Ovi/Bure hybrid. When Edmonton won the lottery people were scared that they'd draft for need and take Murray. There was also lots of talk about trading Eberle to make room for Yak.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Even if the Oilers picked based on need, which rarely is the optimum choice, would they be better off with the injury prone Murray or another struggling winger in Galchenyuk? The best picks in hindsight would have been Lindholm or Trouba, and that would have took a crystal ball on draft day. Overall, it was just a very weak draft class.

yes. which makes it tough to pick. But, they, the experts, the paid professionals, didn't recognize that it was a weak draft. That was THE year to trade the first overall pick. they could have hosed someone.

Yes, I know, hindsight. I can forgive them for not trading it as it wasn't obvious that the draft was so weak at the time, but history is showing that trading the pick would have been the best move.

Just one more example in a long list of tough decisions that they got wrong. Did they fluke any off?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Nice revisionist history there. He was the landslide consensus.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Yakupov was the only one scouts considered to have truly 'elite' potential, not 1st line rw, star rw. He may not live up to that but THAT was the consensus

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Look back at what people thought about him, he was toughted as a 40-50 goal scorer and a lot of HFers felt he was on par with Ovechkin.

Id like to think he's not ruined and would like to see him with Hall and McDavid, I think if he rekindles chemistry with Hall and both the wingers get exceptional at playing without the puck(yak was pretty damn good at finding open space in his rookie season and Gagner found him more often than not) then there's a good chance that's the highest scoring line in hockey.

It's hard to see it now but I don't think Yaks 40 goal potential is gone.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It's hard to see it now but I don't think Yaks 40 goal potential is gone.

It's definitely not gone. I know he's not trending like most players of that caliber, but most players of that caliber weren't saddled with a team as epically bad as the 2009-2014 Oilers. Hopefully we will be signficantly better now, and then we can re-evaluate Yakupov, along with a lot of other players.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
If Yakupov puts up 20-25-45 this year, while the line he's on is not bleeding shots and scoring chances against at EVS, then that would qualify as a significant step forward in my book.

The talk of him scoring 35 is crazy at this point. A 35 goal scorer is a top 10 scorer in the league, and he's miles away from that. A more realistic long term target for Yakupov is 25 goals a season, which would put him top 50 in the NHL.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If Yakupov puts up 20-25-45 this year, while the line he's on is not bleeding shots and scoring chances against at EVS, then that would qualify as a significant step forward in my book.

The talk of him scoring 35 is crazy at this point. A 35 goal scorer is a top 10 scorer in the league, and he's miles away from that. A more realistic long term target for Yakupov is 25 goals a season, which would put him top 50 in the NHL.

28th in league as a rookie:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&gameType=2&report=goals

With a real coach and a true #1 C... seems like 35 is possible.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Anyone see the video of him and talbot delivering tickets? Yak is a funny guy hahaha

Just watched it, he sure is a charmer ☺

Funny how that fan asked Talbot if Yaks shot was as hard as they say and Talbot said you never know where it's going and sometimes you have to duck

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
28th in league as a rookie:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&gameType=2&report=goals

With a real coach and a true #1 C... seems like 35 is possible.
Yakupov's goal per 60 since he got into the league is 0.89. If he plays 15 minutes a night for 82 games, he will need to up his G/60 to 1.7. How many players have scored 1.7 or more since 12/13? Stamkos and Ovechkin. Lets say he plays 17 minutes a night, then he will have to score 1.5 G/60 to reach 35. How many players have scored that since 12/13? Ovechkin, Stamkos, Nash, Perry and Pacioretty.

It's completely unrealistic (and unfair on the guy) to hope or expect him to become a 35 goal scorer.

EDIT: The G/60 is for the total regular season data range between 12/13 and 14/15, so not sorted by individual seasons.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I still think this kid is going to be a star. He has too many tools not to be. Confidence is an issue but confidence you can build.

The key for him is to get a good start. I think also the measuring stick. He think if he doesn't score, he's not contributing or being valuable. Some one needs to inject into his head that are more than one ways to contribute in hockey.

I expect a good year, somewhere between 20 - 25 goals for him

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
The problem with a "real" coach is that if Yakupov can't pick up what he's teaching, he's going to be in trouble, there'll be no more excuses for him. I'm a little nervous for him going into this season to be honest.

I'm actually excited for it, because I have paid alot of attention to Maclellan's coaching style over the last 10 years or so. I am expecting him to start the year on a wing with McDavid and one of Pouliout or Hall. It's the way Todd runs his teams. Nuge/Eberle will stay together because they have the most chemistry on the team, and he knows the kind of numbers a great passer like McDavid can put up with a pure shooter like Yakupov.

He also treats his players with the same kind of respect that Kreuger is known for. He lets players work through their issues, not pull reactionary knee jerk changes, just for the sake of change.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm actually excited for it, because I have paid alot of attention to Maclellan's coaching style over the last 10 years or so. I am expecting him to start the year on a wing with McDavid and one of Pouliout or Hall. It's the way Todd runs his teams. Nuge/Eberle will stay together because they have the most chemistry on the team, and he knows the kind of numbers a great passer like McDavid can put up with a pure shooter like Yakupov.

He also treats his players with the same kind of respect that Kreuger is known for. He lets players work through their issues, not pull reactionary knee jerk changes, just for the sake of change.

Also known as the "bench Yakupov."

Hall threw water at me? ****ing Yakupov..
Scrivens passed the puck into his own net again? Yakupov, ****ing sit!

I don't even remember any changes Eakins did. He wrote down the stupidest ideas and put them on a cork board, then threw darts at them before the game. 90% of the notes on the board were, "Bench Yakupov."

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I hope your right, I want the kid to succeed badly. Having a 1-2 punch with him and Eberle on the right side is huge plus to the team.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So if Yak starts on the 3rd line this year, does that make TM a idiot coach?

No, it means they're valuing team success over increasing the value of an outbound asset.

It kind of makes Chiarelli's summer a mess since the discussion should have been: "Are we giving this guy a big opportunity or should we just broom him out now".

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Nice revisionist history there. He was the landslide consensus.

Sure he was the consensus best player, but not the consensus pick for the oilers. Maybe my memories fading but I thought much of media had the oilers picking Murray or trading down.
Which wouldn't look any better right now.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
No, it means they're valuing team success over increasing the value of an outbound asset.

It kind of makes Chiarelli's summer a mess since the discussion should have been: "Are we giving this guy a big opportunity or should we just broom him out now".

But its putting Yak in a postion to fail, as most have argued for the last 2 years, cause thats what Eakins did? I think thats where im confused.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
yes. which makes it tough to pick. But, they, the experts, the paid professionals, didn't recognize that it was a weak draft. That was THE year to trade the first overall pick. they could have hosed someone.

Yes, I know, hindsight. I can forgive them for not trading it as it wasn't obvious that the draft was so weak at the time, but history is showing that trading the pick would have been the best move.

Just one more example in a long list of tough decisions that they got wrong. Did they fluke any off?
Let's also not forget here that it's been rumored since that draft day that Katz made that pick himself and not Tambellini or the scouting staff. If true, and I certainly believe it is, then there's no point in blaming anybody for missed opportunities anymore. If Katz wouldn't let Tambellini pick Murray, who was being touted as the best defenseman in the draft, he sure wasn't going to allow him to take anybody else. Doubtful they would let him trade the pick either. Yakupov was the consensus #1 pick and it's hard to argue he was chosen to sell jerseys that off season. That's how the organization was thinking at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad