Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Last edited:

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think Nail's been a whipping boy. He hasn't lived up to expectations for sure but I think everyone see's the potential he still has and the drive that he still plays with. No one's harder on Nail than Nail.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'd say controversial player is more appropriate. We tend to have either fiery defence (me), or strong criticism of Yakupov.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't have Twitter and have a strong distaste for social media but... #TeamYak #BlindFaith #ShadesOfOmark

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1829611
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1774449

Obviously I am bias--I think with a proper coach--Nail will bloom--we saw how he was under Kruger and then Nelson when he had a coach that knew what he was doing

Todd McLellan has more experience then any coach Yak has had at the NHL level and it should be interesting to see how Yak reacts

I think he can flourish into a decent top 6 forward. But, I'd be pleasently surprised if he becomes an allstar calibre player. Just haven't seen that level of skill. If he had it, we would have seen it, in spite of Eakins.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'd say controversial player is more appropriate. We tend to have either fiery defence (me), or strong criticism of Yakupov.

See and I tend towards criticism but really hope he gets back to where he is mentioned as an elite player. He is currently no where near that atm.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Forgive the pedantry but this is a pet peeve and it was all over Oilers Nation the other day.

You can have a bias (n).

You are biasED (adj.).

Saying "I am bias" is like saying "I am anger" or "I am frustration."

Grammar Nazi out. :sarcasm:

funny-pictures-grammar-nazi-there-their-theyre.jpg

Image aside, that kind of grammar grates on me too - but in all fairness, I remember JTS having much worse grammar in the past.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Forgive the pedantry but this is a pet peeve and it was all over Oilers Nation the other day.

You can have a bias (n).

You are biasED (adj.).

What if his name is bias?

I'm thinking Nail ends up a James Neal type 30 goal guy, who can up his game with the right linemates. He's certainly got the fire, and scoring ability for it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he settles in and becomes a 25-30 goal scorer and is willing to sign reasonable deals then he'd be a very valuable player here. With Hall, RNH and now McDavid, Yak doesn't ever have to be "the guy" unless injuries hit us hard in which case he should be able to pull that off for 20ish games or so.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

You can have a bias (n).

You are biasED (adj.).

bias
ˈbʌɪəs/Submit
noun
inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.
"there was evidence of bias against black applicants"
synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favouritism, unfairness, one-sidedness; More
a direction diagonal to the weave of a fabric.
"a turquoise silk dress cut on the bias"
synonyms: diagonal, cross, slant, oblique, angle
"a dress cut on the bias"

comes down to perspective and understanding of the English language

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

Somehow I don't see either of those being something that you personally are.

Perspective and understanding of the English language can definitely be faulty, even/especially for native speakers.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think the Eastern Media railed on Yakupov more than the fans ever did.

Fans love him, and we saw him get the proverbial shaft under Eakins.

Some of us still remember him scoring goals in overtime, and the place erupting in joy. 21 points in 28 games to close out the season with Derek Roy seems very promising.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think the Eastern Media railed on Yakupov more than the fans ever did.

Fans love him, and we saw him get the proverbial shaft under Eakins.

Some of us still remember him scoring goals in overtime, and the place erupting in joy. 21 points in 28 games to close out the season with Derek Roy seems very promising.

Imagine a world without Eastern media

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
Todd McLellan has more experience then any coach Yak has had at the NHL level and it should be interesting to see how Yak reacts
the bigger mistake in that post - you're not the only one who uses then instead of than.

On topic, the excuses are gone now and it's all on Yakupov this year to perform. I like the guy and hope he does well.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Everyone's favorite whipping boy? If anything I feel like the majority of this board has far too high of an opinion of him and the likelihood he will reach his "upside".

I'm hoping for a big step forward, I'm expecting failure or a middle of the road season.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Mention Omark and Yakupov in the same sentence again, and we're going to have a bad time. :P
Hurts because there's some truth to it. Not so much similarities between Yak and Omark but their defenders.
Amazing how defensive some get about a player who hasn't done much, yet.
I think he'll be better. He may never live up to his draft status, though.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So this thread is now down to every one's two favorite whipping boys: Nail Yakupov and Bad grammer lol.

Please note the correct use of the colon; I was introducing a list of items.

Further, note the correct use of the semi colon.

It does really grind my gears when Yaks doesn't back check and some one misuses the oxford comma. Tisk Tisk

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Poor thread title. Pretty sure most Oiler fans are just dying for Yakupov to break out and pulling very hard for him.

Nikitia Nikitin, Andrew Ference, Ben Scrivens, Justin Schultz ... these guys are "whipping boys". Honestly Eberle and Hall probably take more heat from Oiler fans than Yakupov does when they aren't playing great.

Many here piled on Hall when he was clearly playing with a knee injury, and Eberle was in every second trade proposal here until Eakins got axed and his stats improved big time under Nelson, then all of the sudden those people shut up rather quickly :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00