Nail Yakupov - How did the scouts get it wrong too?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree with this, however it makes me wonder why we didn't push to trade this pick harder?

I think the problem was that it was still early in the rebuild (if you count that from Hall's year) and they still needed talent over need. If that same scenario happened today, I'm pretty sure the pick gets moved.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Put my bet down for he never really finds his game in the NHL, goes to the KHL a couple years from now, and does really really well in that league such that people are frequently questioning bringing him back.

What it is about him is he's totally unwilling to battle for the puck, nor carry and protect the puck... he always moves the puck before ever trying to beat someone. He doesn't win any loose puck battles. He's a great finisher and under rated passer but he is severely dependent on his line mates to do the heavy lifting in order to show his skills. All the more subtle hockey skills are lacking.

The sooner Chia tries to get something for him, if there's any team out there that values him, I support that.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Except he really didn't produce, scoring 2 goals in 13 games while playing with McDavid.

Assists? But like I said before, he was second on the team in SOG yet only shooting at 3%.

How he finishes up the season with McDavid is going to be critical in determining his future here. He's making bottom six money and worst-case scenario is he becomes just that.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Have to ...................???

Put my bet down for he never really finds his game in the NHL, goes to the KHL a couple years from now, and does really really well in that league such that people are frequently questioning bringing him back.

What it is about him is he's totally unwilling to battle for the puck, nor carry and protect the puck... he always moves the puck before ever trying to beat someone. He doesn't win any loose puck battles. He's a great finisher and under rated passer but he is severely dependent on his line mates to do the heavy lifting in order to show his skills. All the more subtle hockey skills are lacking.

The sooner Chia tries to get something for him, if there's any team out there that values him, I support that.

Have to agree.............How about a trade?............Drouin for Yakupov.......straight up?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Assists? But like I said before, he was second on the team in SOG yet only shooting at 3%.

How he finishes up the season with McDavid is going to be critical in determining his future here. He's making bottom six money and worst-case scenario is he becomes just that.

I don't know if Yakupov has the type of game where he's going to ever be a good bottom 6 player in this league. He isn't one now. He's a bit of a 2nd line tweener. I think worst case scenario is his career goes a bit like it did for Sam Gagner. A guy who doesn't have the game to play the type of game you want out of your 3rd line, but doesn't bring enough consistent offense to play on your top 2 lines.

Worst case scenario is Yak isn't even in the league in a couple years time.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Do you guys think Tampa would do deal involing Nail and Drouin. We can maybe steal something extra from Tampa since Yak is a little bit more proven than Drouin......

Truthfully I'm not interested in Drouin at all. The last thing we need is another small, pass first type player. Especially if he's demanding trades as a young twenty year old with not much pedigree in the NHL.

Love him or hate him, Yak brings some physicality to the table and he definitely likes to shoot the puck, albeit unsuccessfully. If he starts to click he will become extremely valuable.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree with this, however it makes me wonder why we didn't push to trade this pick harder?

The organization didn't trade this pick because they wanted something shiny and flashy to sell the fans after finishing 29th overall the year before. That's why Tambellini and the scouting department was over ruled when they wanted to draft Murray first overall. This rebuild has never been about building a winning team. It's been about giving the fans a reason to buy tickets while they wait for the new arena to open. If this team was serious about building a winner they would have moved some of the excess forwards they have to try and balance the roster long before now.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Best corsi player 4 out of last 5 games. Kids doing well out there, but everyone already has the idea in there head that he's ****.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't call Yaks a bust. A bust is some one who is out of the NHL. Yaks is a NHL player. If 1 is a Bust and 5 Is a superstar Yaks is a 2. He is a disappointment, underachiever, but he is a NHL player. We just have to settle that he will be a 20 goal 45 point player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can't believe the lack of hockey sense the guy has. I can understand why he was taken as a 1st overall. Weak draft, and like a lot of guys in junior, they can take the puck and go end to end and pile up the points, without really having to worry about their team-mates or the defensive side of the game at all. Their raw talent just takes over. Unfortunately when they get to the pro level, and the NHL, there is very little room to make all those individual plays every night, and everyone checks you into the ground. Yak still makes tons of plays every night that leave me shaking my head, despite his obvious individual talent and hustle. He is even a fail at his calling card talent - the one timer. The amount of times he either fans on it, or simply misses the net or drills it right into the goalies pads is astounding. At the end of the day, I think he'll like turn out to be just what he is. A busted pick who can carve out some semblance of a career as a lower line player and on another team.

Did you watch the game tonight? Yak made several good plays tonight. Multiple good chips, one touch passes, good on the boards, Setup Eberle with an excellent chance, Recoverd pucks, threw some hits. Scored another goal.

But most importantly played a very sensible and complete game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Best corsi player 4 out of last 5 games. Kids doing well out there, but everyone already has the idea in there head that he's ****.

Doesn't seem to matter what he does does it? Theres this foregone established narrative on a player that just turned 22, had only half a season the lockout year, and had to have an idiot head coach two years running.

People forget that the lockout year combined with the Eakins era is enough to significantly disrupt development. Now the injury.

But all this player does is bust his ass out there and threads like this..:(

The guy was one of the best Oilers tonight, I return to this thread, and its carving him up yet again. Complete with trade the bum comments.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He only scored one tonight. bust.

Remenda is such a clown in the broadcasts as well. Nail lays a perfect feed for Eberle one timer and Remenda refuses to mention the setup. JUst "good one timer Eberle"

When Yak scores its "He hasn't scored for 3 games and finally gets one"

ffs

it just doesn't matter does it?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yak had a few giveaways and brainfarts in his own end today. Good that he scored but he's still an adventure in his own end to put it lightly.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Remenda is such a clown in the broadcasts as well. Nail lays a perfect feed for Eberle one timer and Remenda refuses to mention the setup. JUst "good one timer Eberle"

ffs

I didn't watch the game but my twitter newsfeed said he called the oilers the "San Jose Sharks" not once, but twice. What a clown he is.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Facts are excuses? Good one.
You don't have any "facts" in your post other than some names of frequent Yakupov linemates.
I pointed out that fact that the so called "not good enough for Yak" linemates are all better players and more proven NHL scorers than Yakupov. I guess it will all be OK when Yak goes back home to McDavid? We'll use the best talent seen in Edmonton for twenty years to prop up a guy who still hasn't figured out the easiest position in hockey.

Looking at the numbers made me even more angry at RNH and Eberle. Hall is not only one of the best point producers in the league, but he also one of the best at driving possession.
So, just to be clear, you want Yak with Hall, not RNH or Eberle. Hall, the one guy who has shown no inclination to play with Yakupov (actually showing visible frustration with Yakupov's headless chicken hockey on several occasions). Hall is a rush only type player. Using him with Yakupov would be a waste of both player's strengths.

Eberle has decent production and can also be dangerous offensively when he has the puck. Without the puck? He's a complete floater. Kessel had better point production and yet they could not tolerate how useless he was in the defensive zone.
Maybe talk to me when the guy you're pimping didn't win back to back green jackets, and isn't known for being one of the worst defensive players in the league. Or, alternatively, when Yakupov has scored as much as Kessel and Eberle. Either scenario would be fine.

RNH gives more effort on the defensive side of the game, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. However, playing with guys like Hall and Eberle for most of his career, you'd expect more than a measly 55ish points per season from him.
Measly. lmao. Can't use Eberle as an example of a crutch Nuge has relied on though because you've stated that Ebs is a "bum" so obviously he would be no help to RNH, and of even less use to a star like Yakupov.

Hall is the true hero of this failed rebuild, and Yakupov finally gets to play with a caliber of player like that in McDavid. They have looked good and produced together, and that's all you can ask for. Saying he needs McDavid is fine if you accept that RNH and Eberle too need a much better player than them in order to be a threat on the ice consistently.
Eberle scores with anyone and wherever he plays. Him and Purcell are about the only two guys you can say that about. Yak doesn't score wherever you play him cause he's usually lost somewhere in his own head and not making himself useful to his linemates.

It's pretty obvious, though, that you don't have anything worthwhile to add to this discussion, so go peddle your agenda elsewhere.
That's rich coming from you. :nopity:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't watch the game but my twitter newsfeed said he called the oilers the "San Jose Sharks" not once, but twice. What a clown he is.

He was even describing this SJ sharks PP...

Between him and Quinn sometimes you wonder if this is drunk broadcasting. Or if they're just born this way.

One could create a drinking game out of the mistaken commentary in broadcasts.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

ffs

The same Remenda who said "The San Jose Sharks are challenging the offside" tonight. This guy is so out to lunch its hilarious.

Yak has his flaws, but he works his ass off and he has several good tools. I don't think he'll ever be a driver, but he can be a great complimentary piece with a good centre, and I honestly think his game has looked much more complete this year than the last two.

I think his ankle's still bugging him a bit after that non-call bear hug against TB, I've noticed him shy away from some physical plays that he normally makes. Yaks played perfectly fine though since returning imo and he hasn't even been playing with the greatest line mates to compliment his style.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
You don't have any "facts" in your post other than some names of frequent Yakupov linemates.
I pointed out that fact that the so called "not good enough for Yak" linemates are all better players and more proven NHL scorers than Yakupov. I guess it will all be OK when Yak goes back home to McDavid? We'll use the best talent seen in Edmonton for twenty years to prop up a guy who still hasn't figured out the easiest position in hockey.

So, just to be clear, you want Yak with Hall, not RNH or Eberle. Hall, the one guy who has shown no inclination to play with Yakupov (actually showing visible frustration with Yakupov's headless chicken hockey on several occasions). Hall is a rush only type player. Using him with Yakupov would be a waste of both player's strengths.

Maybe talk to me when the guy you're pimping didn't win back to back green jackets, and isn't known for being one of the worst defensive players in the league. Or, alternatively, when Yakupov has scored as much as Kessel and Eberle. Either scenario would be fine.

Measly. lmao. Can't use Eberle as an example of a crutch Nuge has relied on though because you've stated that Ebs is a "bum" so obviously he would be no help to RNH, and of even less use to a star like Yakupov.

Eberle scores with anyone and wherever he plays. Him and Purcell are about the only two guys you can say that about. Yak doesn't score wherever you play him cause he's usually lost somewhere in his own head and not making himself useful to his linemates.

That's rich coming from you. :nopity:

Eberle scores with anyone and wherever he plays. Him and Purcell are about the only two guys you can say that about.

:laugh: Eberle has rarely ever been used in a bottom six role, and his linemates more often than not have been RNH and Hall. I guess your statement about him would be correct, but that's not saying nearly as much as you think it is. But then you add Purcell of all players? Teddy Purcell? The guy who rode the coattails of MSL and Stamkos and is now riding the coattails of Drai and Hall? The Purcell who was garbage in a bottom six role earlier in the season? That Purcell? Way to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

I thought perhaps you'd bring forth a more objective argument, but that was clearly asking too much. All you've done is resort to emotionally charged logical fallacies, which I won't even bother addressing.

I'm a Yak fan. Make no doubts about it. When I consider icetime, linemates, character, contract, talent etc., I still think this is a salvageable player with good upside who is worth putting time into developing. I've already stated that his time with McDavid will probably determine what kind of player he is/what kind of role he'll have on this team, if any.

If he can't make it work with McDavid, so be it. Trade him. I don't care what it takes, but make this team into a winner. From what I've seen of RNH and Eberle throughout the years shows me that they're not winners, and you can't win with them in big roles.

Now's your time to prove that you belong, Nail.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
I'd be very curious to hear what Remenda would say if Yak ever went end to end scoring the most beautiful goal in the history of the NHL.

WTF is Remenda's problem with Yakupov? He NEVER gives him credit for anything and takes every single opportunity he can to crucify him.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'd be very curious to hear what Remenda would say if Yak ever went end to end scoring the most beautiful goal in the history of the NHL.

WTF is Remenda's problem with Yakupov? He NEVER gives him credit for anything and takes every single opportunity he can to crucify him.

Him and everybody else, the media has a strong dislike for this kid for some reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree and was just going to post something similar.
Except to say that Yakupovs limitations around processing the game (especially defensively) will always be an issue. After 4 years as a pro I believe that there is enough of a sample size to get a sense of what Yaks ceiling is.
He is a complimentary winger who is very suspect defensively.

As much as I like Yak and his personality players like this are a dime a dozen. Not very good value at all for a 1st overall draft pick.

Here's the thing. I think there's too much focus on his defensive limitations, my worry is his inability to process the game offensively.
I think part of the issue with Yak is this insistence that he needs to focus on improving the defensive aspects of his game which stifles his offensive creativity.
Obviously the other issue is low Hockey IQ but I think that can be overcome if he had a linemate who can set everything up for him.

Yak was at his best when he had coaches (Krueger and Nelson a.k.a. anybody but Eakins) who allowed him to create offensively or in other words, be himself and play to his strengths. Yak doesn't need to be even average defensively to be an effective player in this league, it's all about being in spots to score goals offensively and creating havoc on the forecheck. Let the center focus on carrying the puck and defensive responsibilities.

If you look at some of the elite goal scoring wingers in the league (Ovi, Stamkos, Kane), every single one of them is suspect defensively so I don't think it's a necessity for Yak to be a defensively responsible winger as long as he's putting in an effort to backcheck which he already does.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad